Topic: Couture vs. Machida

Couture vs Machida

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

ChrisMcAtee93
ChrisMcAtee93
  • Predictions:  71  |  57.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2
  • Post Score: 0

01.04.2011 | 4:46 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Couture   wrong Decision  

Couture back for more :P  How do you guys think this fight will turn out?  I personally think the way the styles match up that Randy Couture really could pull this off.  Machida is gonna be hard to get ahold of but I think if Randy can get him against the cage or at least cut off the ring he can use his trademark 'dirty boxing' and ground and pound this for a Unanimous Decision win.  What are everyone elses opinions of this fight?

Responses

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

01.04.2011 | 5:07 AM ET

Prediction: correct Machida   correct KO/TKO   correct Round 2  

I'll probably side with Machida. I think Couture has had a couple fights that have hidden how much he's slowing down at this age, and it could be even more substantial against Machida.

"I live, I die, I live again."

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

01.04.2011 | 5:25 AM ET

Prediction: correct Machida   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

I think I'm with you on that one but every time I've doubted The Natural he has proven me wrong

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

01.04.2011 | 5:34 AM ET

Is this official yet or still rumor? I'd probably pick Machida but damn would I love to see the Natural get one more shot at the Title, possibly win it and retire on top!
Gregory
Gregory

01.04.2011 | 5:54 AM ET

not official yet

BeastMaster
BeastMaster
  • Predictions:  1,958  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,029
  • Post Score: 180

01.04.2011 | 6:10 AM ET

I think couture will be able to pull through. Machida goes for a takedown randy snuffs it pushes him against the fence takes him down and stays on top there for the rest of the fight

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

01.04.2011 | 6:54 AM ET

I don't see Machida ever going for a takedown against Randy, he's not that stupid. He knows Randy's weakest at striking and uses his effective circling, lunging knees, and pitter patter punches to decision Randy. Machida isn't out to prove he can wrestle, he needs a win desperately and he would go back to his less aggressive style.
DaiKaiju Wicked
DaiKaiju Wicked
  • Predictions:  2,021  |  67.8%
  • Forum Posts:  383
  • Post Score: 149

01.04.2011 | 7:16 AM ET

This is a pretty solid analysis, the only thing I wonder about is if Machida's style is going to be counteracted by judging.  I know the Rampage/Machida fight was close, but I cant help but think Rampage won the close fight because he was "moving forward."  As shown in that fight and the first BJ/Frankie fight, unless you really crack somebody in each round, counter fighting is a good way to piss away rounds with the way these judges view "moving forward" as the ultimate fight winner.  Silly, but seems like the way things are going.

"I was born as a catholic but the nuns turned me. I was born as a pacifist but the guns turned me. I was born to be a beautiful man, but the ugliness is powerful, I do what I can."

Goose
Goose
  • Predictions:  54  |  53.7%
  • Forum Posts:  51
  • Post Score: 41

01.04.2011 | 8:58 AM ET

Certainly I don't think Machidas style helps him in making clear cut decisions but it's worked for him in the past. I can see Randy taking Machida down, he is slowing down but I think he's taken on better fighters before and pulled it out of the bag. Machida is so desperate for a convincing win he'll be out of his comfort zone and make a few mistakes.

This of course is just my opinion so its most likely complete rubbish and Machida will take Randy out in the first round!

"Be Good, Get Good or Get the Hell Out. "

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

01.04.2011 | 9:56 AM ET

Prediction: correct Machida   wrong Decision  

I find it hard to choose but i take machida by decision!

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

BeastMaster
BeastMaster
  • Predictions:  1,958  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,029
  • Post Score: 180

01.04.2011 | 10:09 AM ET

I thought couture retired.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

jeremy
jeremy
  • Predictions:  1,062  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  819
  • Post Score: 168

01.04.2011 | 10:11 AM ET

I had thought so too.  This could be a rough one for him.

"Damn right I like the life I live / Cause I went from negative to positive."

Gregory
Gregory

01.04.2011 | 11:39 AM ET

Seems like Couture's retirement talk was a negotiating ploy to get him the fight that he wanted.

Elkisland
Elkisland
  • Predictions:  213  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  499
  • Post Score: 132

01.04.2011 | 2:41 PM ET

Prediction: correct Machida   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

This is a VERY interesting match.

"Serious sport is war minus the shooting. "George Orwell""

davidrohrich
davidrohrich
  • Predictions:  766  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2
  • Post Score: 50

01.04.2011 | 6:09 PM ET

Love this fight!  If  Couture will take this fight by decision! I think he is way to well rounded for Machida(Not that Machida isn't a great fighter)

"Cheese doesn't plug me up!"

jersey0525
jersey0525
  • Predictions:  2,766  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,536
  • Post Score: 188

01.04.2011 | 8:12 PM ET

i have randy winning the same way he always does, grinding it out and pounding him...if machida loses, he will go from unbeatable karate genius to losing 3 in a row...but his style wont win him decisions, and randys too smart to pull a rashad evans.

"im an OT (ORIGINAL TAPOLOGIST), I used to write for cagepages.com. NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT LEFT HAND SHOT"

bloopdoopfoopmoop
bloopdoopfoopmoop
  • Predictions:  758  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  112
  • Post Score: 55

01.04.2011 | 9:22 PM ET

Prediction: correct Machida   wrong Decision  

SO EXCITED for this fight. Can't wait to see what Randy's gameplan is. Machida's got a pretty solid clinch game, which I bet we'll see lots of. And it'll be interesting if it hits the ground (or at least I hope it will be). And I always love watching Machida's standup.

Couple things from earlier in the thread:

-I'm not convinced Randy will find it that easy to take Machida down, or that Machida will find it that hard to take Randy down. Machida's takedowns (& his wrestling generally) is so unorthodox (from a western/folkstyle/greco perspective) that he has a lot of success with weird trips & stuff. It's not even judo--how many other guys in the UFC have a sumo background? Zero, I think.

-I really doubt that Machida is going to suddenly become a lot less elusive because of the Rampage decision. That just seems (a) out of character for him & his stolid family/camp, (b) pretty late in his career for such a big shift, and (c) weird for a guy who doesn't seem that down about his performance. I don't think he's ashamed at all about that fight, despite losing.

One thing that nobody's mentioned so far: Couture's ring rust (sort of). Sure, it's not that long since he fought Toney, but when was the last time he fought real competition? Coleman doesn't qualify, sorry. That means you have to go back to the Vera fight in November '09. Might be a factor, although I'd never accuse Randy of anything like mental weakness, so maybe not. Still, as others have already pointed out, the amount he's aged since November '09 is significant at this stage of his life.

Despite my pick & the tone of this post, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Couture wins. I just think the odds are a little better for Machida. 60-65%, maybe.

"Be strong / be wrong"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Oliveira Vs. Gamrot? Naaaaaah
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301 Odds: ‘Prelims’ Props And More!
  • MMA Junkie : MMA Junkie's Fight of the Month for April: A thrilling battle for the BMF belt
  • MMA Junkie : Kevin Borjas: 'Alessandro Costa is now Mexican ... he'll be fighting as a visitor' at UFC 301 in Brazil
  • MMA Mania : Rematch! Prochazka ‘Most Likely’ Next For Pereira
  • MMA Junkie : Renato Moicano: 'I don't think it was very smart' for Alexandre Pantoja to fight Steve Erceg at UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : Top prospect Losene Keita explains turning down multiple offers from UFC, PFL: ‘I know my worth’
  • MMA Mania : McGregor’s High-Profile Backup? On One Condition ...
  • Middle Easy : ‘Big’ John McCarthy Weighs In on Jimmy Smith’s Claim That Everyone ‘F*cking Hated’ Ronda Rousey
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Incredibly difficult for Haney to take’: Hearn reacts to Garcia’s failed drug test
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Incredibly difficult for Devin Haney to take’: Eddie Hearn reacts to Ryan Garcia’s failed drug test
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping: 'Nasty bastard' Alexandre Pantoja has no weak areas, beats Steve Erceg at UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 poster released featuring Makhachev vs. Poirier, Strickland vs. Costa
  • MMA Mania : De La Hoya ‘Definitely Going To Sue For Defamation’ After Canelo Spat
  • Bad Left Hook : Ennis vs Crowley official for July 13 in Philadelphia
  • Bad Left Hook : Jaron Ennis vs Cody Crowley official for July 13th in Philadelphia
  • Bad Left Hook : Hughie Fury joins May 11 McCaskill vs Price show
  • MMA Junkie : Robert Whittaker confident he'll handle Khamzat Chimaev's wrestling in UFC Saudi Arabia showdown
  • MMAFighting.com : Paige VanZant eviscerates ‘piece of sh*t’ Dillon Danis in fiery response to accusations 
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I don’t think you can get into Canelo’s head’: Former Golden Boy matchmaker on Oscar beef