Tapology Forums

5 matches to make after ufc 125

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

BeastMaster
BeastMaster
  • Predictions:  1,958  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,029
  • Post Score: 180

01.03.2011 | 6:39 PM ET

Thiago Silva Vs. Phil Davis     Clay Guida Vs. Ben Henderson         Brian Stann Vs. Micheal Bisping               Dong Hyun Kim Vs. Sanchez/Kampmann winner        Brad Tavares Vs. Tom Lawlor         http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/5-Matches-to-Make-After-UFC-125-29129 

Not my suggestions.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

Responses

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

01.03.2011 | 7:22 PM ET

Those are pretty good but Ben Henderson is already rumored to fight Mark Bocek in April. As for Kim I don't think he should sit on the shelf that long, If he wants GSP see if he can deal with Alves, if UFC wants a longer road for him Paulo Thiago is a good choice for an opponent.  

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

ACFMMA
ACFMMA

01.03.2011 | 7:52 PM ET

I wanna see kim get one of  the better wrestlers in the division. See how he likes being held down on his back for 15 minutes
BeastMaster
BeastMaster

01.04.2011 | 6:34 AM ET

I would really want to see Guida Vs. Henderson

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

DaiKaiju Wicked
DaiKaiju Wicked
  • Predictions:  2,021  |  67.8%
  • Forum Posts:  383
  • Post Score: 149

01.04.2011 | 7:25 AM ET

I heard a rumor of Kim vs. Koscheck.  I think that would be a really good test for Kim, one that he will probably fail miserably.  That being said, I think Kim is a solid fighter who will stick around for a while.  Nate Diaz's incredible guard made that fight less entertaining than most Kim fights because Kim couldn't get off his ground and pound.  Not many guys that can shut down GnP like Diaz can.

"I was born as a catholic but the nuns turned me. I was born as a pacifist but the guns turned me. I was born to be a beautiful man, but the ugliness is powerful, I do what I can."

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

01.04.2011 | 8:01 AM ET

I think Clay would take Henderson at this stage of their careers.... Ben has little striking ability and hasn't shown much improvement, which Clay has (not much, but he has). Besides that, has Guida ever been submitted?

@Wicked - i actually thought it was a very entertaining fight for the first 8 minutes. Diaz and Kim put on a clinic on the ground and it was so fun to watch. I'll go on record saying i'd rather watch their grappling over any of Kims GnP thus far in his career....

BeastMaster
BeastMaster

01.04.2011 | 8:21 AM ET

clay guida has been submitted 7 times.

DaiKaiju Wicked
DaiKaiju Wicked
  • Predictions:  2,021  |  67.8%
  • Forum Posts:  383
  • Post Score: 149

01.04.2011 | 8:30 AM ET

Guida has lost 6 times by submisssion according to sherdog, most notably the KenFlo and Huerta RNCs.  As far as Kim's ground and pound goes, watch the Jason Tan fight, or even the Amir Sadollah fight, Kim's GnP is pretty impressive, especially when he can get his elbows going.  And while I'm sure a bunch of hardcore fans appreciated the technical grappling aspect, I dont think Kim won many fans by struggling to control Diaz on the ground on Saturday.  When Kim is at his best, he is hammering his elbows through foreheads.  I think he has the ability to do that to more guys in the division than not, although the GSP call out was silly.

"I was born as a catholic but the nuns turned me. I was born as a pacifist but the guns turned me. I was born to be a beautiful man, but the ugliness is powerful, I do what I can."

Mark Hoxie
Mark Hoxie
  • Predictions:  947  |  57.3%
  • Forum Posts:  32
  • Post Score: 59

01.04.2011 | 8:42 AM ET

Long Dong Kim is ready for a title shot. Jake Shields makes sense as the next challenger, but I want to see some Dong in the ring again soon. If Sanchez or Kos wants a piece of Dong first, I'm all for seeing those two reality stars get smacked around before his title shot. GSP would likely take Dong but I don't think it would be a bad match up.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." - Benjamin Franklin

Goose
Goose
  • Predictions:  54  |  53.7%
  • Forum Posts:  51
  • Post Score: 41

01.04.2011 | 8:49 AM ET

Kim's showing that he can grapple, but I think the same as the opinion of a couple more higher profile fights before a title shot. Kos would be a good fight, I love watching the grappling and I think that would be a good pure wrestling match worth seeing.

"Be Good, Get Good or Get the Hell Out. "

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

01.04.2011 | 10:06 AM ET

LONG DONG! classic, apparently i need to do my research and turn my brain on before asking a stupid question, thanks guys for the Guida knowledge! I'd like to see him take on Kos as well, i think he could get a takedown or two cuz of his size and strength, but if GSP can't keep Kos down i'm not sure anyone can anymore....
bloopdoopfoopmoop
bloopdoopfoopmoop
  • Predictions:  758  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  112
  • Post Score: 55

01.04.2011 | 9:50 PM ET

I think Kos would easily beat Kim at this point, and I would enjoy watching it. Not because I dislike Kim--I like him more than I should mainly because I knew a guy with the same name a few years ago--but because I like watching high-level MMA grappling. On the other hand, that's what's conventionally called a "boring" fight. I don't see the UFC booking that. They can get more conventional excitement out of Kos.

The only other fight on the list that I think is really a bad idea is Davis/Silva. This is too fast for Davis. He has such great potential, but he's still so raw. He needs to be brought along more slowly. Yes, Davis has the wrestling to take Silva down, but how confident are you that he has the jiu jitsu to keep from getting submitted? to keep Silva down? to do much damage while they're down? Silva isn't Nate Diaz, but Davis isn't DHK (at least as far as submission grappling experience), and Diaz's constantly threatening guard was enough to shut down DHK's ground & pound. Just because Davis got a submission variant named after him doesn't mean he's ready to handle a serious BJJ black belt. (BTW, who gave Silva his black belt?)

Plus, Silva is a real threat to knock Davis out.

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that Silva would win, mind you. I just think there's too much of a risk of that happening, and I think it would spoil Davis's potential, promotionally speaking (as opposed to developmentally speaking--it would probably make him a much better fighter). Somewhere down the road, if the UFC is careful & Davis keeps improving, they can build him up as a real scary title threat. But if he's got a big blemish on his record in a loss to Silva--especially a KO--he doesn't look so threatening. Thiago Silva is a huge step up from Boetsch, Wallace, Gustafsson, and even Brian Stann. Baby steps, for now.

"Be strong / be wrong"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Former Champ Jamahal Hill Draws New Opponent In UFC 303 Co-Main Event
  • MMA Junkie : Video reaction: What does Gegard Mousasi's Bellator release say about state of PFL merger?
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Expect something serious’: Haneys react to Ryan Garcia’s positive B-sample results
  • MMAFighting.com : Devin Haney reacts to Ryan Garcia positive B-sample drug test, takes aim at Oscar De La Hoya
  • MMA Junkie : Tom Aspinall: Curtis Blaydes rematch at UFC 304 is a 'lose-lose' because he's 'not that popular'
  • MMA Mania : Mousasi Released From PFL Amid Contract Dispute
  • MMA Junkie : Manel Kape ready to shut down Muhammad Mokaev at UFC 304: 'Everything I do is a masterclass'
  • MMAFighting.com : Dustin Poirier shoots down fourth Conor McGregor fight: ‘I don’t need that [bad] energy’
  • Jits Magazine : IBJJF World Championship 2024 Full Preview
  • MMA Mania : Live! Brooke Vs VanZant Press Conference Video!
  • MMAFighting.com : Gegard Mousasi released from PFL-Bellator after threatening legal action
  • MMA Junkie : Photos: Gegard Mousasi through the years
  • MMAFighting.com : Misfits Boxing 15: Paige VanZant vs. Elle Brooke press conference video
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Garcia responds to positive 'B' sample with social media outburst: 'I F*CKING LOVE STEROIDS'
  • MMAFighting.com : Carlos Ulberg steps in to face Jamahal Hill in UFC 303 co-main event
  • MMA Mania : Hill Gets New Opponent For UFC 303
  • MMA Junkie : With Khalil Rountree out, Carlos Ulberg steps in to face Jamahal Hill at UFC 303
  • MMA Mania : Updated! UFC 303 Fight Card, PPV lineup
  • MMAFighting.com : Ben Askren confused what Chael Sonnen is doing against Anderson Silva: ‘I don’t know why you’re boxing’
  • MMA Junkie : Bassil Hafez eager to 'beat the sh*t out of' Mickey Gall at UFC 302, show he's better than debut loss