Topic: Off Topic

Texans of Tapology;: Do you think O'Rourke has any chance of winning?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

10.18.2018 | 10:12 PM ET

Curious what some normal people, as opposed to WAPO pundits and Redditors, think about this.
This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 3 days, 23 hours, and 58 minutes from now.

Responses

mbach4307
mbach4307
  • Predictions:  934  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  887
  • Post Score: 137

10.19.2018 | 12:41 PM ET

I have family that live in Texas. He has a chance similar to how Mcgregor had a chance against mayweather. Its more in the vain of anything is possible type things. And with the recent actions of democrats attempting to embarass people instead of focusing on issues that are important to Americans, I dont think they will win get votes necessary to become the majority. 

"Where are my shoes?"

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,561
  • Post Score: 275

10.19.2018 | 2:57 PM ET

538 gives Beto a 20% chance of winning:
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-midterm-election-forecast/senate/texas/

So I doubt he will win. I look at 538 as being a very independent resource. While some of the writers and stuff tend to be liberal and not conservative, I don't think that seeps into their forecasting tools. The forecasting tools are just based on statistics and math.

Also just a reminder on the longstanding informal policy on Tapology:  No political debate please!  It will just tear the community apart.

"I live, I die, I live again."

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

10.19.2018 | 5:39 PM ET

Interesting. As an outsider O'Rourke seems like a no brainer compared to Cruz, who is another kind of no-brainer. It's amazing how partisan things have gotten in the states. Completely different in Australia, although not so different in that 95% of politicians are garbage and we're actually forced to vote for them under penalties. Our main problem is that both parties are in an endless cycle of inner turmoil and the executive (prime minister) ends up getting shafted halfway through his/her term. We're  coming into an election cycle soon, the lefties will win ( although left in Australia means something very different to what it does in the US) in a landslide. We're about to end up with Bill Shorten who frankly makes my skin crawl *shudders*.

Australia is much more like Canada than the US, in terms of its political structure and parties. Both constitutional monarchies.

A lot of it has to to with the liberal party ( these are the conservatives in Australia) screwing the pooch royally on the national internet infrastructure. Despite the fact it would have been chepaer, and better, to lay out fiber-to-node everywhere, the libs decided to roll out ****** copper wire that has landed us speeds as bad or worse than the third world. Latvia has faster and better net than Australia. And it can't go back in the box.

@ Mbach sadly I agree. As someone looking in, I don't see the Dems winning in 2020. Too many of their candidates are way,way too left of field, I don't see a strong candidate who is younger than 60 who they can feasibly run, but more than this they are the party associated with outrage culture and seem to stand for nothing other than hating Trump, white males, all males, and a litany of other absurdities. What they push are fanciful ideas rooted in gender identity gobbledy****. There's not much the average punter can really get behind that will really benefit them day-to-day, and on top of this as you have rightly identified they have the gall to tell every man and his dog how they are racist, ****y sub-human detritus. It's a bad, bad milkshake.

Unfortunate, because another 4 years of Trump scares the Bejeezus out of me TBH.

* Edited at 10.19.2018, 5:42 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 3 days, 23 hours, and 58 minutes from now.
GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

10.19.2018 | 8:09 PM ET

I'm no fan of the fundamentalist Christian boomer myself, but O Rourke is just as **** as Cruz.  The only difference is that he is left wing.  Also, Texas is not as uber conservative as many people peg it as. It can be just as much of a Democrat stronghold as a Republican one. This is the state that gave us Lyndon Johnson and George W. Bush, arguably the two of the worst presidents in US history, after all.  But I am with @gregory on this one in not making politics themed threads.

* Edited at 10.19.2018, 8:09 PM ET *

"..."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jamahal Hill Brutally Honest On UFC 300 Regrets, Who Should Be Next For Alex Pereira
  • MMA Mania : PFL MENA Inaugural Event Set For May 10 In Riyadh
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive – Jamahal Hill Talks ‘Crazy’ BMF Title Clash at UFC 300, Comments on Ryan Garcia’s Epic Troll Job
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping warns Michael Chandler not to underestimate Conor McGregor: 'Can't be drunk on your own ego'
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘What goes around comes around’: Prograis says karma caught up to Haney in Garcia fight
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘What goes around comes around’: Regis Prograis says karma caught up to Devin Haney
  • MMA Mania : ‘Stop Running!’ Vieira Claims Harrison Declined UFC 303 Fight Offer
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jamahal Hill On Fighting Khalil Rountree So Soon At UFC 303, Rejecting A Main Event
  • MMA Junkie : Karine Silva explains how fast UFC rise was actually deceivingly long
  • MMA Junkie : Marlon Vera calls out Petr Yan for November showdown after he previously 'declined,' Yan fires back
  • MMA Mania : VIDEO: Strongman Hall Breaks Pereira Punch Record ... Kind Of
  • MMAFighting.com : Coach Rafael Cordeiro: Beneil Dariush took time off after repeated head trauma in 2023
  • UFC.com : It’s Not Just Winning For Victor Henry, It’s How He Wins
  • MMA Junkie : Title or not, Jamahal Hill says Alex Pereira rematch has to happen
  • MMA Mania : Video: Hill Praises Pereira’s ‘Gritty’ UFC 300 Ref Block
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Mike Perry, Thiago Alves engage in tense faceoff ahead of BKFC KnuckleMania IV showdown
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 press conference faceoffs featuring UFC vets Mike Perry, Thiago Alves
  • MMA Junkie : Uros Medic: 'Somebody is going to get oiled up' if I get snubbed of bonus at UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Louisville announced with 13 fights already booked for the card
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo hopes Conor McGregor 'of old' shows up vs. Michael Chandler at UFC 303