Topic: Fighter News & Gossip

Eddie Alvarez Officially Signs with ONE Championship

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

10.16.2018 | 12:06 AM ET

MMA Free Agent madness struck again as Chatri Sityodtong confirmed on Twitter tonight that Eddie Alvarez has signed an exclusive contract with MMA promotion ONE Championship.  This is big considering that the MMA free agency speculation has died down a lot since the last big shake up to the UFC's roster when the likes of Rory MacDonald, Phil Davis, and Ryan Bader jumped ship to Bellator.  Although I would argue this is a lot bigger considering this is a former champion, with name value, who is still an elite fighter at Lightweight. 

So, as a result, I ask the members of Tapology your thoughts on this and does this signing create a domino effect for more big moves in the future?  Will we see promotions like Bellator, ACB and RIZIN try and get in on this?  How will this impact the whole Khabib Nurmagomedov situation? Does the UFC do anything to keep this to just Alvarez and few low level guys?

"..."

Responses

CONDIT729
CONDIT729
  • Predictions:  4,116  |  57.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,500
  • Post Score: 165

10.16.2018 | 12:15 AM ET

While there were some fun fights left for him in the UFC, he was never going to get another title shot so hopefully ONE is paying him a lot of money.

"I'm coming in your backyard and I'm gonna **** you up" -Carlos Condit

jodybanman
jodybanman
  • Predictions:  3,332  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,707
  • Post Score: 237

10.16.2018 | 12:16 AM ET

I think Rory was a bigger loss for the UFC than Alvarez is.  It won't cause a domino effect because if the UFC really wanted to keep Alvarez, they could have.  In addition, even though the UFC doesn't necessarily pay as much as they could/should, they still pay better than any other promotion, generally.  

"I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it."

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

10.16.2018 | 12:41 AM ET

Jody is right. Rory Mac was a bigger deal than Alvarez, Moose was a bigger deal too. Alvarez is done, basically. It's all downhill from here. He'll look good in ONE because it's a fishbowl and he will probably merk 90% of the roster.

* Edited at 10.16.2018, 1:09 AM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 10 months, 4 weeks, 2 days, 7 hours, and 52 minutes from now.
DrGlaze
DrGlaze
  • Predictions:  18,699  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  872
  • Post Score: 188

10.16.2018 | 1:24 AM ET

Is there anyone at his weight in ONE who could actually beat him?

* Edited at 10.16.2018, 4:13 AM ET *

"I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers. -Khalil Gibran "

jodybanman
jodybanman
  • Predictions:  3,332  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,707
  • Post Score: 237

10.16.2018 | 1:58 AM ET

Being a gaijin in One FC is a pretty sweet gig.  Decent money, easy wins.

"I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it."

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

10.16.2018 | 2:48 AM ET

@DrGlaze

I want to say Aoki poses a threat, but not at this stage.  I haven't seen a lot of ONE Championship recently, so I don't know how good Nguyen is. But he was a dual title holder so I have to imagine he has talent.  I'd personally like to see Gafurov go up a weight class and see him and Alvarez fight.

"..."

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

10.16.2018 | 3:07 AM ET

@Green Aoki would at least be competitive. Well, maybe. He got merked by Askren and he and Alvarez aren't that much different ( Eddie can't wrestle like Ben, doubt Ben hits harder though).
This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 10 months, 4 weeks, 2 days, 7 hours, and 52 minutes from now.
GreenHornet
GreenHornet

10.16.2018 | 3:11 AM ET

@Fishrat

Aoki was also fighting up two division.

"..."

DrGlaze
DrGlaze
  • Predictions:  18,699  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  872
  • Post Score: 188

10.16.2018 | 4:14 AM ET

Speaking of talented lightweights, when is Lowen Tynanes coming back?

"I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers. -Khalil Gibran "

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : ‘Suga’ To Mac: ‘Send Jet For A Quick Spar’
  • MMA Mania : O’Malley Accepts Mac’s Challenge: ‘Send Jet For A Quick Spar’
  • MMA Junkie : Alexandre Pantoja: UFC 301 a 'watershed moment' for flyweights
  • MMAFighting.com : Jose Aldo reacts to free agency, possibly skipping line to fight Sean O’Malley after UFC 301 win
  • MMA Mania : Pantoja To Challengers: ‘Bring A Gun’ If You Want To Stop Me
  • MMAFighting.com : Ryan Garcia tells Jake Paul ‘I would quit boxing’ if steroid accusations are true
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 post-event facts: Michel Pereira joins elite company with eighth straight octagon win
  • MMAFighting.com : Anthony Smith responds to Alex Pereira’s $50,000 challenge: ‘I’ll choke the sh*t out of him’
  • MMA Junkie : Anthony Smith agrees to Alex Pereira's $50K bet after UFC 301 submission win: 'I'll choke the sh*t out of him'
  • Middle Easy : UFC Legend Matt Brown Announces Retirement From MMA : ‘Not Doing it Again’
  • MMA Junkie : Steve Erceg 'devastated' by UFC 301 title fight loss: 'I blew it'
  • MMAFighting.com : Conor McGregor may be BKFC co-owner, but Mike Perry still wants that fight: ‘I am my own boss’
  • MMA Mania : Video: O’Malley Vs. Dvalishvili Booked?
  • MMA Junkie : Jack Shore's coach calls foul on shin cut stoppage at UFC 301
  • MMA Mania : ‘Let Fighters Fight!’
  • MMAFighting.com : Jon Jones reveals ‘I have a date’ for UFC return, verbal agreement in place
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 303 teaser video: Shadowy Conor McGregor paces during 'Foggy Dew'
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch insane knockout punch leave fighter flat on the canvas
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch: Conor McGregor’s return teased in spine-tingling promo ahead of UFC 303
  • MMA Junkie : Fight Tracks: The walkout songs of UFC 301 with AC/DC x 3