Topic: Prospect Watch

MMA Star That Was Falsely Accused of Sexual Assault

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Magellan
Magellan
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  3
  • Post Score: 33

05.08.2018 | 10:50 AM ET

My friend Grant Neal was a promising student-athlete who had his dreams crushed when he was falsely accused of sexual assault. Soon after, though, he found redemption in the world of MMA fighting. He's currently the #1 light heavyweight in Colorado and we're absolutely thrilled that he was able to find MMA as the light at the end of the tunnel. He's currently being mentored by the UFC's Nate "The Great" Marquardt.
If you're interested in learning more about the story, please check this out and consider donating to Grant's cause: http://kck.st/2JZlvMP

* Edited at 05.08.2018, 2:21 PM ET *

Responses

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

05.08.2018 | 11:48 AM ET

Okay so I'll admit, I was a little skeptical at first when I read your post. There are a lot of fighters who have gotten into serious trouble and then try and act like they didn't do anything wrong. But after reading these 2 articles it sounds like the sexual assault allegations are total ********:

https://www.courthousenews.com/judge-sees-bias-in-college-action-against-alleged-******/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2017/07/21/football-standout-settles-title-ix-lawsuit-with-colorado-state-university-at-pueblo/?utm_term=.274352198a3d

It sounds like he was training another athlete at the college, and they became romantically involved, even though athletes and trainers are not supposed to have relationships.

And then when word got out about their relationship, the school went crazy and labeled him a ****** and all this stuff. But even the girl said they were just dating and it was all consensual.  And so he sued the school and they settled out of court.

What the hell? Unless I'm missing something, this sounds totally unfair.

Here's his record on Tapology:
https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/147488-grant-neal

"I live, I die, I live again."

Magellan
Magellan

05.08.2018 | 2:11 PM ET

I should've done a better job of not making the post seem fishy. I'm not a fighter, I'm a filmmaker and friend of Grant Neal.

You're totally right, the sexual assault allegations were totally unfounded and it was really unfortunate from Grant. It's fundamentally a problem with how universities handle due process and treat accusations of sexual assault. Add in that he's a football player and black, stereotypes were quickly assumed and he was labeled as a ******. Totally unfair.

If you're moved by the story and want to help Grant, please consider donating. 

Any ideas for who I should be reaching out to or where I should be posting this story to get in front of the right people?
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

05.08.2018 | 4:28 PM ET

Mr Neal's situation was indeed infortunate and seems to have been the product a personal vendetta, interpersonal conflict or an overcompensation on behalf of the offending institution as opposed to any legitimate wrongdoing.

However given that he's since been acquitted and has sucessfully sued for damages I'd be remiss if I didn't query as to why you feel he should be entitled to additional charitable compensation. It would seem to me that this issue has been resolved, and we are, excuse me, living in a world in which there are charities trying to raise funds for bone cancer research. Why you feel that your friend be entitled to alms  of any description is frankly beyond me.

Given that you're an amateur film maker, your friend certainly has an axe to grind, and that race relations and campus platforming are of the minute subjects of high discursive input....well,  I can see how the eye may winketh at the hand.

Are you intending to produce a documentary or short based on your friend's experience?

* Edited at 05.08.2018, 4:31 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 10 months, 4 weeks, 1 day, and 50 minutes from now.
Magellan
Magellan

05.09.2018 | 2:29 PM ET

I'm intending to produce a short-form documentary - under 15 minutes.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : UFC 301 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media
  • MMA Mania : ‘My D—k Didn’t Get Hard!’ Brown Couldn’t ‘Get Fired Up’ About Fight Offer
  • Middle Easy : Sean O’Malley Snaps Back at ‘Sugar’d Up’ Conor McGregor Over Past PED Usage: ‘When Your Idols Turn to Rivals’
  • Middle Easy : Ian Garry Promises to ‘Slap the Mouth Off’ Colby Covingtong Within One Round: ‘Sign the F*cking Contract’
  • MMAFighting.com : Jose Aldo opens as big underdog for potential Sean O’Malley title fight
  • Middle Easy : Dana White Roasted Over Fighter Pay, Slams ‘Liberal F*cks’ Netflix During the Streaming Giant’s Tom Brady Special
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Felt I Can’t Say No’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 medical suspensions: Four fighters receive 180 days but not Jack Shore for leg wound
  • MMAFighting.com : Heather Hardy reveals career likely over due to ‘too much brain damage’
  • MMA Junkie : Weekend boxing review: Canelo Alvarez gave vintage performance. Is David Benavidez next?
  • MMAFighting.com : Dustin Poirier thinks Islam Makhachev is underestimating him ahead of UFC 302
  • MMA Mania : Aspinall In The Dark While Jones ‘Is Playing Games Again’
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 medical suspensions: 3 winners potentially out 6 months
  • Middle Easy : Jose Aldo vs. Sean O’Malley? ‘Very Possible Chance’ Outlandish Title Fight Happens, Says Outspoken UFC Star
  • MMA Junkie : Matt Brown explains how UFC 300 snub finalized retirement decision, says BKFC signing 'not out of the question'
  • MMA Mania : Covington Knows Garry Is A ‘Terrible Stylistic Matchup’
  • MMAFighting.com : Sean O’Malley responds to Conor McGregor diss, now wants Michael Chandler to ‘sleep’ him
  • Bad Left Hook : Roach vs McCrory set for June 28 on ProBox TV
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch The MMA Hour with Poirier, Pantoja, Hardys and Hughes in studio, now
  • UFC.com : Fight By Fight Preview | UFC St. Louis