Tapology Forums

Dana White: Strikeforce champ Gilbert Melendez is headed to the UFC, ASAP

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

benjaminbrandt
benjaminbrandt
  • Predictions:  18,270  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  15,716
  • Post Score: 229

10.02.2011 | 8:43 AM ET

"I have not yet begun to defile myself. "

Responses Page 2

benjaminbrandt
benjaminbrandt

10.02.2011 | 10:58 PM ET

^^^I could see that happen too.  He is damn-near unfinishable.  I remember being in complete awe during Cerrone/Henderson I. 

xbassistdoodx
xbassistdoodx
  • Predictions:  2,546  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,218
  • Post Score: 104

10.02.2011 | 11:01 PM ET

@Benjamin,

He gets hit by the showtime kick, and isn't KO'ed, he constantly is put in guillotine after guillotine only to escape in amazing ways. He gets put in a kneebar by Jim Miller, and escapes, simply because his leg is stronger than both of Miller's arms!!! The guy is legit for sure.

* Edited at 10.02.2011, 11:01 PM ET *

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" - Isaac Newton

benjaminbrandt
benjaminbrandt

10.02.2011 | 11:05 PM ET

I think about the triangle/kimura Cerrone had him in.  I thought his damn arn was gonna tear off.......(gif if anyone has it).  

outlawmusic
outlawmusic
  • Predictions:  2,101  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  269
  • Post Score: 88

10.02.2011 | 11:08 PM ET

@benjaminbrandt

Exactly what I was gonna say.Its a deep division and the only reason it hasn't changed hands in the last while is because its been stuck between Edgar and Maynard. Once there are some new challengers I see it becoming a hot potato.

"I don't go running, I train to fight not to run" - Don ******* Frye

Cblatner
Cblatner
  • Predictions:  355  |  57.7%
  • Forum Posts:  26
  • Post Score: 258

10.02.2011 | 11:32 PM ET

Anyone think it's kinda lame that Zuffa said they were going to run SF and UFC as separate organizations and then immediately take their top talent? 
Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,564
  • Post Score: 275

10.02.2011 | 11:34 PM ET

@cblatner... well, i guess technically they are running them as separate organizations.  until they shut strikeforce down.

i don't really fault the UFC. they said what they had to say publicly when they bought strikeforce, but in the end it doesn't make any sense to keep a totally separate brand running.

"I live, I die, I live again."

benjaminbrandt
benjaminbrandt

10.02.2011 | 11:39 PM ET

Strike force should stay open.  Perfect venue for veteran gatekeepers to meet up-and-comers, hall of famer superfights, stuff like that. 

DaiKaiju Wicked
DaiKaiju Wicked
  • Predictions:  2,021  |  67.8%
  • Forum Posts:  383
  • Post Score: 149

10.02.2011 | 11:46 PM ET

I agree with Gregory here, it makes little sense to have two seperate orgs running under the same parent company.  The UFC is growing to the point where up and comers will fight gatekeepers on the same cards as champions fight true contenders.  How many weeks in a row is it now that the UFC has had an event?  The times they are a changin'.  As this sport continues to grow the most important thing the UFC can do is continue to make great fights that people want to see with the best fighters.  Sequestering top fighters in Strikeforce away from the best in the world is detremental to the business plan.  In my perfect world, Dream and Bellator will fall away as well until we have every good fighter in the world under the same banner and we no longer have to wonder who the absolute best is.

"I was born as a catholic but the nuns turned me. I was born as a pacifist but the guns turned me. I was born to be a beautiful man, but the ugliness is powerful, I do what I can."

FresnoMMA
FresnoMMA
  • Predictions:  55,611  |  68.6%
  • Forum Posts:  7,436
  • Post Score: 204

10.02.2011 | 11:54 PM ET

I love all this Ben Henderson love :)  He is without a doubt one of my favorite fighters of all time.  I think he'll definately hold UFC gold sometime soon.  As for Melendez, I've always thought it wrong to take a fighter from a fight and I think it would be really unfair for Masvidal, although I'm really excited to see him fight in the UFC I think he should first honor his committments.
buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

10.03.2011 | 12:04 AM ET

overeem, henderson, shields, diaz, and now melendez. SF champion = ufc contender

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

jodybanman
jodybanman
  • Predictions:  3,332  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,707
  • Post Score: 237

10.03.2011 | 1:14 AM ET

"Anyone think it's kinda lame that Zuffa said they were going to run SF and UFC as separate organizations and then immediately take their top talent?"
I expected it.  It was clear from the beginning that they would operate Strikeforce as a separate promotion only as far as they were contractually required to.  They are diluting it so that Showtime won't opt to extend their contract with Strikeforce.
I seem to remember Dana White saying at the time that they bought Strikeforce that they were doing it essentially to acquire talent.  They have only been running Strikeforce as a separate promotion because they are contractually obligated to.

* Edited at 10.03.2011, 1:17 AM ET *

"I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it."

Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,137  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

10.03.2011 | 1:15 AM ET

Really excited to see El Nino in UFC, there's so many great LW's, he matches up good with anyone in the top 10-15.

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Charles Oliveira Insists He Did Enough To Beat Arman Tsarukyan At UFC 300: ‘It’s Very Complex’
  • Bad Left Hook : Turki Alalshikh targets Wilder vs Anderson on Aug. 3
  • UFC.com : Fighters On The Rise | UFC 301
  • UFC.com : UFC Rankings Report | Week of April 29, 2024
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Step up and face that man’: Bradley says if Canelo has any dignity he’ll face Benavidez
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Step up and face that man’: Tim Bradley says if Canelo has any dignity he’ll take on David Benavidez
  • Middle Easy : Arman Tsarukyan Docked $30k From His Fight Purse After Attempting to Punch a Fan at UFC 300
  • MMA Junkie : Jake Paul, Mike Tyson announce two-city press conference tour for Netflix boxing match
  • MMA Mania : US Maintains Level 2 Travel Advisory For Brazil
  • Middle Easy : Tom Aspinall Reacts To UFC 304’s ‘Absolutely Terrible’ Timing, Offers Solution For UK Fans
  • MMAFighting.com : Claressa Shields’ takeaway from first 3 MMA fights: ‘I have potential to be an MMA champion’
  • MMA Junkie : Daniel Cormier uses Dustin Poirier as example to argue Justin Gaethje one win from UFC title shot
  • MMAFighting.com : Copa Combate winner Ramiro Jimenez re-signs with Combate Global to new multi-fight deal
  • UFC.com : BRAZILIAN BREAKDOWN | UFC 301
  • MMA Junkie : NAC pushes back on proposed Igor Severino punishment for UFC bite, cites 'unbelievably dangerous' precedent
  • MMAFighting.com : Referee, judges assigned for Canelo Alvarez vs. Jaime Munguia
  • MMA Mania : Tsarukyan, Lopes Draw Fines For UFC 300 Shenanigans
  • MMA Junkie : NAC confirms two UFC 300 fighters' pay withheld, says Dana White offered to pay fine for cage leap
  • MMAFighting.com : Paul Felder replaces Joe Rogan on UFC 301 broadcast team
  • MMAFighting.com : Igor Severino faces stiffer penalty after Nevada Commission denies 6-month suspension for biting UFC opponent