Tapology Forums

Sonnen: UFC 134 trip to support Okami canceled due to sponsor intervention, police threat

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Daftendirekt
Daftendirekt
  • Predictions:  922  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  102
  • Post Score: 260

08.24.2011 | 5:43 PM ET

Chael Sonnen wanted to be in Yushin Okami's corner for UFC 134, and he still has a plane ticket to Rio de Janeiro. 
It's Brazil that doesn't want him there.

Sonnen said a major sponsor of Okami's requested he not attend the pay-per-view event, which takes place Saturday at Rio's HSBC Arena. 

A source with knowledge of the situation told MMAjunkie.com(www.mmajunkie.com) that Praetorian, a Brazil-based MMA brand, threatened to pull the Japanese fighter's sponsorship if Sonnen attended. 

"There's a line of people that want to kick his ass," the source said. 

And that could be the least of problems for the expert trash-talker. Sonnen said friends in the country forwarded him a local-media report in which a police chief threatened to arrest him on sight if he showed. The official cited a law that makes disparaging the national identity a crime. 

"You don't have freedom of speech in Brazil; put it like that," Sonnen told MMAjunkie.com after a workout at Team Quest Tualatin. 

The source said Sonnen's claim is untrue. But the fighter's bombastic interviews have created quite a stir. 

In several highly circulated clips and on Twitter, Sonnen has maligned the South American country and several of its most popular fighters. Former light-heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida has been a favorite target, as have national icons and brothers Antonio Rodrigo and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira. 

Brazil-based MMA manager Alex Davis said Sonnen's words have united Brazil's MMA community.

"Brazilians don't get together on other things, but they've gotten together on this," he said. "Brazilian authorities would not arrest Sonnen for anything he said. They would defend him. But he is talking about people that a whole generation of fighters worship."

Okami, of course, is facing another object of worship, that of reigning middleweight champ Anderson Silva, in UFC 134's headliner. Silva has not been on Sonnen's Christmas card list for some time. 

While the onetime middleweight contender expressed regret over not being able to help his teammate, Sonnen is there to do what's best for his frequent training partner, which, in this case, is to stay away. 

"I only want to be there to help him," Sonnen said. "I don't need to see the show. I can watch the show on TV. I was going exclusively in support of Yushin, and frankly, it's been headed this way for a long time. It's been headed the direction of, 'Hey, this is becoming a distraction.' 

"This fight isn't about me. I'm not involved. I'm here to lend you support. But I don't want things thrown at what will unintentionally be him while he's in the ring or we're going to the ring. 

"This is serious business. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and it's not my place to disturb it or shift any type of attention to me. This is his moment, his night, his time to be the world champ."  
SOURCE  
http://mmajunkie.com/news/24937/sonnen-ufc-134-trip-to-support-okami-canceled-due-to-sponsor-intervention-police-threat.mma

* Edited at 08.24.2011, 5:45 PM ET *

Responses

Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,186  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

08.24.2011 | 5:47 PM ET

Damn, not surpirising to me. The Brazilian fans would actually do something , throw **** at him or soemthing, they're crazy. It's the Toxoplasma.

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

08.24.2011 | 6:05 PM ET

At least he's not jeopardizing Yushin's sponsorship money and going. 

"Frig off, bud"

netris
netris
  • Predictions:  44  |  50.0%
  • Forum Posts:  9
  • Post Score: 511

08.24.2011 | 10:56 PM ET

I have a feeling if Brazilians saw him in the streets there wouldn't be much Chael left to pick up afterwards. 

" A lot of guys ignore the laugh, and that's about standards."

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

08.24.2011 | 10:59 PM ET

I don't think it matters that Chael won't be in Okami's corner. Chael I'm sure has helped Okami plenty in training. It's very smart for Sonnen to not go not because some stupid fan might throw something but because he won't take away the attention on where it belongs: Dana wrapping the strap around Okami's waiste.

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,186  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

08.24.2011 | 11:02 PM ET

The only strap around Okami's waist will be from a stretcher.

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

08.24.2011 | 11:03 PM ET

From an illegal upkick?

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

08.24.2011 | 11:07 PM ET

"And NEW UFC MW champion Yushin "Thunder" OKAMI!"

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

08.24.2011 | 11:16 PM ET

@soccer lol

"Frig off, bud"

xbassistdoodx
xbassistdoodx
  • Predictions:  2,546  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,218
  • Post Score: 104

08.25.2011 | 5:30 PM ET

I feel like if a Brazilian talked **** about the U.S., Canada, Australia, or the U.K., fight fans would still be Brazilian nuthuggers. That bothers me =/

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" - Isaac Newton

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : KO Alert! ‘King’ Walsh Shines With Another Brutal Finish
  • MMAFighting.com : Mirela Vargas plans to ‘smash’ boxing champion Savannah Marshall at PFL Europe 2
  • MMA Junkie : On the Doorstep: 10 fighters who could make UFC with June wins
  • MMA Mania : Video! UFC 303 Promo Drop Confirms McGregor Vs. Chandler Good To Go
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 57 predictions: Is Jared Cannonier or Nassourdine Imavov our blowout pick in Louisville?
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Louisville predictions
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 57 play-by-play and live results (5 p.m. ET)
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! UFC Louisville Results, Streaming Updates
  • Bad Left Hook : Zayas vs Teixeira: Live updates and results, 11 pm ET
  • Jits Magazine : Mikey Musumeci Gets Revenge With Crazy Submission Win Over Gabriel Sousa At ONE 167
  • Jits Magazine : Kade Ruotolo Dominates In MMA Debut At ONE 167
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Louisville Results: Cannonier vs. Imavov
  • Bad Left Hook : Blair Cobbs beats Adrien Broner by decision
  • Jits Magazine : Roberto ‘Cyborg’ Abreu Cast As Fabio Gurgel In Mark Kerr Biopic ‘The Smashing Machine’
  • MMA Mania : FIGHT IS ON!
  • MMA Junkie : Joanderson Brito injury leaves Dan Ige without UFC Fight Night opponent
  • MMA Mania : Video! Hair-Cutting Pereira Throws Down With ‘Bam Bam’
  • MMA Junkie : Photos: UFC on ESPN 57 weigh-ins and faceoffs in Louisville
  • MMA Junkie : Dana White: UFC's show at Sphere 'is going to be a f*cking love letter to the Mexican people'
  • MMAFighting.com : Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen card complete with addition of boxing match between Olympic medalists