Topic: Former Fighters & Retirements

Martin Kampmann has Retired

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

01.06.2016 | 1:41 PM ET

Link

UFC welterweight Martin Kampmann announced today he is retiring from the sport to focus on his family after a stint coaching at Team Alpha Male.

Kampmann, 33, told UFC.com the recent birth of his third child motivated him to move back to his native Denmark. While he plans to stay involved in the sport, his fighting days are over.

“I’ve known for a while,” Kampmann said. “I just haven’t really made it official. I’m not sure why.”

Kampmann (20-7 MMA, 11-6 UFC) retires with a 20-7 record and 17 UFC bouts. He delivered wins over several notable opponents, among them recent title challenger and former interim champ Carlos Condit, Thiago Alves and Jake Ellenberger.

A longtime standout of Xtreme Couture in Las Vegas, Kampmann won his first four UFC bouts and engaged in memorable slugfests with Alves and Diego Sanchez. Against Condit and Ellenberger, he denied title hopefuls a pass to contention. Condit was a champion in the now-defunct WEC and was anticipated to make a run in the welterweight division before losing to Kampmann by split decision in a 2009 bout.

A rematch four years later against Condit served as Kampmann’s final appearance. Condit unleashed a flurry of elbows and punches to earn a fourth-round TKO finish. It was Kampmann’s second consecutive knockout loss after being stopped in 46 seconds by now-former champion Johny Hendricks.

In January 2014, Kampmann announced he would take a hiatus from fighting as burnout and damage from multiple concussions mounted. He said he was not ready to retire, however.

Kampmann eventually shifted focus to working with other fighters, moving in September 2014 from Las Vegas to Sacramento, Calif., to take a full-time job as a coach at Team Alpha Male. His arrival came after a contentious period in the team’s history; a public feud between team founder Urijah Faber and head coach Duane Ludwig dominated headlines. After 11 months, Kampmann announced he was stepping down from the job for personal reasons.

Kampmann also flirted with professional gambling, winning the Nevada Poker Challenge and outlasting several pros in the 2014 World Series of Poker.

Now focused on renovating his house in Denmark and raising three children, Kampmann has plenty to keep himself occupied.

“I had a lot of good fights,” he said. “Some of the good fights that the fans tell me they enjoyed the most are the fights where I’ve been in really bad trouble and came back. I was really hurt, knocked down, and I came back from the brink of defeat to win. But those are not the fights I preferred to have. I preferred to come in and have a good, dominant performance. But those other fights are the ones that the fans remember, when I was close to defeat and when I had to dig deep and come back and win.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts?

"..."

Responses

Hyrm
Hyrm
  • Predictions:  6,141  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,260
  • Post Score: 189

01.06.2016 | 2:17 PM ET

Great career, We know it was over when he said he want a break, but he can retire proud of what he accomplish.

"Never go down without a fight"

FaceStomper
FaceStomper
  • Predictions:  4,891  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,399
  • Post Score: 224

01.06.2016 | 3:51 PM ET

His fight with Thiago Alves was god-like. Sad to see him walk away.

* Edited at 01.06.2016, 3:51 PM ET *

"You fight midgets" - Nate Diaz

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  32,074  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,973
  • Post Score: 195

01.07.2016 | 11:17 AM ET

Probably a smart move, he took a ****ton of damage. Was always an exciting fighter though, and a high rank welterweight. Who's coaching striking at Team Alpha Male now anyway? That's becoming the MMA equivalent of the Defense Against the Dark Arts teachers.

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

mbach4307
mbach4307
  • Predictions:  934  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  887
  • Post Score: 137

01.07.2016 | 11:29 AM ET

Yeah and don't forget he started out in the UFC as a mw. He had some great battles. His fight against terry Martin was awesome and that head and arm choke technique was incredible to watch. It was a step by step how to sink that choke. 

Sorry, I meant drew mcfedries.

* Edited at 01.07.2016, 11:31 AM ET *

"Where are my shoes?"

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  32,074  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,973
  • Post Score: 195

01.07.2016 | 12:34 PM ET

That submission on McFedries was one of the first MMA submissions I ever saw, now that I think about it.

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

mbach4307
mbach4307
  • Predictions:  934  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  887
  • Post Score: 137

01.07.2016 | 2:00 PM ET

It was cool because it was basically a step by step. He got position, deceptively set up the choke, then set it up focusing on the choke first, and after he had it in he hopped over, readjusted, and flexed.

"Where are my shoes?"

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

01.07.2016 | 2:44 PM ET

I´m glad for him, sad for me but it was his time, I´ve been a fan of his for a long   time, but altely he was in a few tough battles that he didn´t look much like his old self. I think i saw somewere that he was training fighters. thats good

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : Dmitry Bivol stays on June 1 card, will face Malik Zinad
  • Bad Left Hook : Inoue vs Nery: Live updates and results NOW!
  • Jits Magazine : 7 Inspiring John Danaher’s Quotes For BJJ And Life
  • Middle Easy : Oscar De La Hoya Backs Jaime Munguia After Defeat Against Canelo Alvarez
  • MMA Mania : Video: White, O’Malley Get Burnt During Roast Of Tom Brady
  • MMA Mania : ‘The Rock’ Shares Footage From MMA Training Camp
  • Bad Left Hook : Inoue vs Nery: Live updates and results, 4 am ET
  • MMAFighting.com : Drakkar Klose explains UFC 301 beef with Daniel Cormier, calls out Beneil Dariush, Jalin Turner
  • MMA Junkie : 5 biggest takeaways from UFC 301: Anthony Smith teaches another lesson in misplaced doubt
  • MMA Mania : Matches To Make After UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : Mauricio Ruffy reacts to Conor McGregor comparisons after spectacular UFC 301 debut
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo discusses next career move after fighting out contract at UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : Michel Pereira responds to UFC 301 criticism: ‘That’s the risk, but I’m the risk-taker’
  • MMA Junkie : Video: The Rock posts MMA training footage in preparation for role in 'The Smashing Machine'
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Shelby's Shoes: What's next for free agent Jose Aldo after UFC 301 win?
  • MMA Mania : Pound For Pound #1 Vs. ‘The #1 Money Man’
  • MMAFighting.com : Shogun Rua announced for 2024 UFC Hall of Fame class
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch The Rock begin MMA training for Mark Kerr biopic ‘The Smashing Machine’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 winner Mauricio Ruffy warns Islam Makhachev 'a new king is coming' after debut
  • MMAFighting.com : Alexandre Pantoja reacts to UFC 301 win, ‘watershed moment’ in flyweight division