Tapology Forums

MMA OLYMPICS!! who's your team?!

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

MATTATTACK
MATTATTACK
  • Predictions:  72  |  58.3%
  • Forum Posts:  26
  • Post Score: 4

08.07.2011 | 12:55 AM ET

If USA had an OLYMPIC TEAM, who would your team be? ......And which country do you think will dominate?!!

"Bricks no hit back!"

Responses Page 3

t0rch
t0rch
  • Predictions:  5,787  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,658
  • Post Score: 208

08.07.2011 | 1:47 AM ET

I'd like to see Guida at 145 just for kicks. I heard that he cuts almost no weight for 155. I think his wrestling might give Aldo some problems, then again if Aldo can beat Florian then I can't see Guida beating him.

"I would agree with you, but then we would both be wrong."

DaiKaiju Wicked
DaiKaiju Wicked
  • Predictions:  2,021  |  67.8%
  • Forum Posts:  383
  • Post Score: 149

08.07.2011 | 1:48 AM ET

To call Tachi a regional show in regards to their flyweight division is factual, but a little misleading.  Tachi is without a doubt the most legit Flyweight division anywhere in the world, including Shooto imo, so I think we can give them a little more credit than that.  Also, Mike Brown and Manny Gamburyan were in the WEC because they flunked out at Lightweight in the UFC, just like McCall did at Bantam in the WEC.  So one can't really credit them while discrediting the other, right?

"I was born as a catholic but the nuns turned me. I was born as a pacifist but the guns turned me. I was born to be a beautiful man, but the ugliness is powerful, I do what I can."

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

08.07.2011 | 1:58 AM ET

Alright... but you agree there are UFC bantamweights waiting to go to 125... and you agree they would beat Ian McCall.  (I also think, after seeing Faber staredown with Cruz, that Faber really ought to be at 125 also).

What UFC lightweight is out there waiting to get to 145 that you think beats and delegitimizes Aldo?

Here's what I'd say about Tachi:  they have the best handful of random flyweights in the world! (outside of the bunch that are temporarily fighting at bantamweight in the UFC)

"I live, I die, I live again."

t0rch
t0rch

08.07.2011 | 1:59 AM ET

Could Faber really make 125? His upper frame seems a little to big for that.

* Edited at 08.07.2011, 2:00 AM ET *

DaiKaiju Wicked
DaiKaiju Wicked

08.07.2011 | 2:03 AM ET

I do agree that those two bantams could drop and beat McCall.  I just like to encourage discourse and argument (I have a bachelor's degree in philosophy, it's who I am).  That being said, I really do think it's unfair to call Flyweight "not really a division" because McCall hasnt fought two possible contenders yet.  That's like saying Heavyweight isnt a real division because Velasquez hasnt fought JDS or Overeem.  I agree that it's in its embryonic stage right now, but I think Ian McCall has the right to be called the best Flyweight in the world right now, and have that mean something.  I was really impressed with his performance last night, and I'm looking forward to see where he goes from here.

"I was born as a catholic but the nuns turned me. I was born as a pacifist but the guns turned me. I was born to be a beautiful man, but the ugliness is powerful, I do what I can."

Gregory
Gregory

08.07.2011 | 2:07 AM ET

Part of my thoughts on this also stem from another conversation earlier today when someone was asking when we would add flyweight rankings to tapology.   My response there....

still not enough flyweights out there to make it worthwhile. We've currently got 34 flyweights in the system that have been available to make picks on.  And a lot of them are pretty obscure dudes.

Compare that to:

Bantamweight: 260
Featherweight: 381
Lightweight: 690
Welterweight: 596
Middleweight: 504
Light Heavyweight: 325
Heavyweight: 437

Gregory
Gregory

08.07.2011 | 2:09 AM ET

It just adds to my outlook that flyweight doesn't really exist as a true division yet.  Right now the fights taking place are like embryonic stages... seeing some interesting fighters emerge here and there, but we still don't have any idea who is actually any good.

DaiKaiju Wicked
DaiKaiju Wicked

08.07.2011 | 2:11 AM ET

There's no getting around that flyweight is a young division.  I'd point out though that alot of 125 fights happen in Japan on cards that we dont get to pick here on Tapology like Shooto and Pancrase.  That's how we know that Mamoru, Da Silva, and BJ Kojima are really good, because they fought in Japan and proved it.

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

08.07.2011 | 2:16 AM ET

Yamagucih's hair IS the lfyweight division.

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

Gregory
Gregory

08.07.2011 | 2:21 AM ET

Haha, well not to get too off-topic, but I feel less and less that fighters emerging from the entire Japanese culture and style of MMA have relevance anymore.  Weight cutting, gameplanning, amount of notice given for fights, wrestling, ring vs cage... it's not the same on so many levels, and these JMMA guys are just failing.

If the UFC had collapsed, I'm sure we'd see some of the opposite - UFC fighters going to PRIDE and struggling with the change in style.

Omigawa was the latest to come over and be neutered in the UFC. I hold out hope for Hioki, a favorite fighter of mine and someone I have ranked highly. But more and more I'm resigned to the possibility he's just going to lose most of his fights here and won't even be able to showcase his style.

t0rch
t0rch

08.07.2011 | 2:25 AM ET

@gregory, are you taking the side of Chael Sonnen?

Gregory
Gregory

08.07.2011 | 2:29 AM ET

@torch no, I disagree with Chael on just about everything. 

Though a disclaimer is that I don't think Chael actually believes what he's saying. He's purposely designing absurd things to say.

MATTATTACK
MATTATTACK

08.07.2011 | 2:31 AM ET

I think Asia is on to something here though......ONE FC!!!! It's US unified rules with the soccer kicks and face stomps from pride!!! It's like if PRIDE and UFC finally had their baby!!!!! I can't wait for their card in September!!

"Bricks no hit back!"

MATTATTACK
MATTATTACK

08.07.2011 | 2:34 AM ET

I think Chael is one of the worst representatives we have for the US!!

"Bricks no hit back!"

Gregory
Gregory

08.07.2011 | 2:40 AM ET

Anyway, I realize it may seem like I'm breaking the "rules" ... but I can't call Ian McCall the best flyweight in the world when there are flyweights like Benavidez and Demetrious Johnson DESTROYING dudes in the UFC at the next weight class up.

MATTATTACK
MATTATTACK

08.07.2011 | 2:50 AM ET

the question is..... can they make they weight? CORRECTLY! The problem is alot of those smaller guys don't have that much more to lose. And when they do make that weight they GAS! (ex Jose Aldo in his last fight)

"Bricks no hit back!"

xbassistdoodx
xbassistdoodx
  • Predictions:  2,546  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,218
  • Post Score: 104

08.07.2011 | 2:55 AM ET

Jake Shields vs. Martin Kampmann anyone? ;)

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" - Isaac Newton

MATTATTACK
MATTATTACK

08.07.2011 | 2:57 AM ET

I strongly dislike Jake Shields.

"Bricks no hit back!"

xbassistdoodx
xbassistdoodx
  • Predictions:  2,546  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,218
  • Post Score: 104

08.07.2011 | 2:58 AM ET

Haha i meant because of the weight cutting and gassing because of it thing you just brought up.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" - Isaac Newton

MATTATTACK
MATTATTACK

08.07.2011 | 3:01 AM ET

o yeah hahah exactly!! Even Wanderlei Silva.... He weighed 195 the day before weigh-ins. He cut 10lbs in a day!!! Where is someone like Dominik Cruz gonna find 10lbs to shed?!

"Bricks no hit back!"

Page 3

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Oliveira Vs. Gamrot? Naaaaaah
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301 Odds: ‘Prelims’ Props And More!
  • MMA Junkie : MMA Junkie's Fight of the Month for April: A thrilling battle for the BMF belt
  • MMA Junkie : Kevin Borjas: 'Alessandro Costa is now Mexican ... he'll be fighting as a visitor' at UFC 301 in Brazil
  • MMA Mania : Rematch! Prochazka ‘Most Likely’ Next For Pereira
  • MMA Junkie : Renato Moicano: 'I don't think it was very smart' for Alexandre Pantoja to fight Steve Erceg at UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : Top prospect Losene Keita explains turning down multiple offers from UFC, PFL: ‘I know my worth’
  • MMA Mania : McGregor’s High-Profile Backup? On One Condition ...
  • Middle Easy : ‘Big’ John McCarthy Weighs In on Jimmy Smith’s Claim That Everyone ‘F*cking Hated’ Ronda Rousey
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Incredibly difficult for Haney to take’: Hearn reacts to Garcia’s failed drug test
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Incredibly difficult for Devin Haney to take’: Eddie Hearn reacts to Ryan Garcia’s failed drug test
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping: 'Nasty bastard' Alexandre Pantoja has no weak areas, beats Steve Erceg at UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 poster released featuring Makhachev vs. Poirier, Strickland vs. Costa
  • MMA Mania : De La Hoya ‘Definitely Going To Sue For Defamation’ After Canelo Spat
  • Bad Left Hook : Ennis vs Crowley official for July 13 in Philadelphia
  • Bad Left Hook : Jaron Ennis vs Cody Crowley official for July 13th in Philadelphia
  • Bad Left Hook : Hughie Fury joins May 11 McCaskill vs Price show
  • MMA Junkie : Robert Whittaker confident he'll handle Khamzat Chimaev's wrestling in UFC Saudi Arabia showdown
  • MMAFighting.com : Paige VanZant eviscerates ‘piece of sh*t’ Dillon Danis in fiery response to accusations 
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I don’t think you can get into Canelo’s head’: Former Golden Boy matchmaker on Oscar beef