Topic: McGregor vs. Poirier

McGregor vs. Poirier

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,619  |  73.7%
  • Forum Posts:  17,552
  • Post Score: 60

07.22.2014 | 8:54 PM ET

This is the official discussion thread for McGregor vs. Poirier. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 11

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,515  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

09.29.2014 | 11:53 PM ET

Prediction: correct McGregor   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

@Breauxpati, dude! I love you man, but it doesn't get more decisive than that beaux. For argument's sake, even if the dropping punch landed clean on the back of the head (which it didn't, but I'll amuse it for a sec), this was a mid engagement, fighter ducking into it sequence, not a dude targeting the back of the head. You can't pull a punch back mid-motion because he's moved the back of his head into the path. It's impossible.

One of the GnP punches also hit the back of the head (the 2nd one, after the hammerfist, before the final clean one), but again, Dustin fell into it. What you do see is that if Conor does land there, he notices it fast and adjusts so the next one doesn't. That's all you can ask of a fighter. There will always be a punch here and there that land on the back of the head mid-fight, those dudes are ducking, moving all in split seconds, you don't call those man. You just don't, they're a part of the game.

And now back to reality, the first punch was legal as **** ... but then again I watched every replay with my 'Conor, I love you' glasses on so I don't know how reliable a witness I am ;)

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

09.30.2014 | 12:10 AM ET

you guys are confused and think I question the finish. I know it was a legal finish.  that is not what my deal is.  

I just wanted to see a little more dominant conor in there with a clear finish not a glancing blow in the middle of a bogus exchange.

I am one of the biggest Conor marks here, but that was not a finish he can hang his hat on and everyone knows that. hell even Conor admitted it.

I like Poirier, but was cool with him being the lamb that was led to slaughter, I just didn't get the show I wanted.  I doubt that makes sense to any of you, but it is what it is.

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

09.30.2014 | 12:28 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Poirier   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

He didn't 100% Anderson Silva the guy and that's disappointing is what I'm gathering. 
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 2 weeks, 6 days, 5 hours, and 27 minutes from now.
yossgold
yossgold

09.30.2014 | 12:41 AM ET

Oh I get you man. Yeah, I like the clean, on the button ones more too, but I'll take what I can agains the #5 dude on the planet :)

Another thing I loved was that Dustin got a clean left in there and Conor just walked through it. You can have all the talent in the world only to get ****** by a glass chin. Conor's chin be mighty.

Don't worry breaux, Bermudez is easier to hit than Dustin. It will be clean, it will be swift and it will be brutal.

Conor will be wearing gold by mid 2015 :)

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones

09.30.2014 | 12:46 AM ET

Does Conor leave himself too open in a fight against someone like Cub or Aldo? He's extremely fast, and always in position to counter, but can he take a big shot like that from some of the more powerful strikers in the division without being hurt? He intrigues the **** out of me. Almost any match up with him vs top 5 guys is dynamite.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 2 weeks, 6 days, 5 hours, and 27 minutes from now.
yossgold
yossgold

09.30.2014 | 12:50 AM ET

Maybe, I guess time will tell... I think his movement and forward pressure take a bit off the punches even when he does get tagged. He doesn't leave much room for full motion. Also, the fact that he's always in tip-top shape strengthens the chin. But yeah, what can you do, being so agressive and entertaining has it's risks. That's why Aldo stopped being that way. He doesn't put himself out there anymore and is harder to hit. I don't think Conor will change his style, it's who he is, he'll live and die on it.

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones

09.30.2014 | 1:00 AM ET

I also want to see how he handles someone like Chad Mendes/Frankie Edgar. Especially Edgar. Edgar has shown an incredible beard, even at 155, and he has some of the best if not the best movement and footwork in MMA. Add that to his wrestling and I think it could be a stylistic problem for Conor. Then again, I thought Poirier's style would be an issue for him, but if you can't make it through 2 minutes with him and never attempt to get it to the ground your submission skills don't mean sheeeeit.
yossgold
yossgold

09.30.2014 | 2:50 AM ET

I think he keeps Mendes on the end of his punches and kicks before he can mount anything significant, very bad stylistic matchup for him. Don't see Mendes as a dangerous opponent for Conor (I know, I know, down vote away, I deserve it :) ).

Frankie, now that's a different story, you can analyze how they matchup forever but Frankie's a "find a way" sort of dude. Transcending "mathematical" skill sets comparisons. That said, I have a feeling Conor's one of those special ones that'll be a tad too much for Frankie to make up for the extreme size difference. 

I think that though Aldo would be Conor's most dangerous fight, Frankie would be his toughest matchup ... if that makes any sense.

As for Cub, I put him more in the Aldo category, dangerous, but a good fit for Conor's style and a less dangerous than Aldo.

Conor/KZ would be fun ... but I wouldn't want to see it ... one of my favourite fighters would have to lose, don't know how I'd deal with it :)

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

09.30.2014 | 2:57 AM ET

I think McGregor gets his ACL kicked in half by Aldo, finish what HalloGoat started.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

yossgold
yossgold

09.30.2014 | 3:20 AM ET

Nah, Conor's forward pressure and footwork will make Aldo's leg kicks less effective (not non-effective - less effective) ... he's not cowering back and letting Aldo tee off on his leg like the rest of them do because they get into the cage with "Aldo's striking" stuck in their minds.

Conor forces Aldo to engage and either gets finished within 3 or finishes Aldo in rounds 4 or 5. You heard it here first. Print and save :)

I can totally see this happening in that fight:

* Edited at 09.30.2014, 3:24 AM ET *

yossgold
yossgold

09.30.2014 | 8:40 AM ET

FantasyMMA
FantasyMMA
  • Predictions:  278  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  712
  • Post Score: 145

09.30.2014 | 9:01 AM ET

Prediction: correct McGregor   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

McGregor being bigger than Brock or GSP is a typical statement from Dana. Bigger how? Right now? Sure absolutely. Overall? Nope. Size wise? nope.

Dana is a PROMOTER. It is his job to promote these guys. These kinds of statements are for the media and for your average fan. They are not for guys like us that breath MMA. 

I'd bet that based on percent he wins though. A higher percent of Ireland watched him fight than the US for Brock or Canada for GSP lol. It's like saying Ronda is a bigger star than Silva. Depends how you define "star" or in this case define "bigger". 
yossgold
yossgold

09.30.2014 | 9:20 AM ET

It's just like Dana kept saying that Brock wasn't his biggest PPV seller, GSP was (when Brock wasn't in the UFC but GSP was).

Added up? Sure. But per headlined event? Brock sold the **** out of anyone in UFC history and it wasn't even close.

* Edited at 09.30.2014, 9:21 AM ET *

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

09.30.2014 | 12:21 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Poirier   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

@yossgold I know I'll get hate for this but I can't agree that the finish couldn't have been more decisive cause it definitely could, I'm not saying his performance wasn't impressive but he hit him with 3 shots to the back of the head in a row which led to the fight being stopped, and IMO the one that dropped him hit him directly in the back of the head unless my eye sight is failing me but I'm not saying it's illegal as Dustin WAS dropping down in to it and it's not Conors fault.

It could have been cleaner.. But it was still a great performance and he deserves the credit he's getting. I mean if he had punched him on the jaw and knocked him clean out that's definitely more decisive in my opinion.. 

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

09.30.2014 | 4:52 PM ET

Prediction: correct McGregor   wrong Decision  

If Dustin Poirier could land a couple of leg kicks on McGregor, Aldo is going to make this guy look like ******' Faber by round 3. Conor McGregor's an excellent fighter and I could see him beating Ricardo Lamas and Cub Residue but Aldo would ******* murder this kid.

For real.

"الله أكبرl"

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,359  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

09.30.2014 | 4:57 PM ET

He'd get rekt by Swanson tho.. 

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

yossgold
yossgold

10.01.2014 | 1:31 AM ET

No.

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

10.01.2014 | 11:58 AM ET

I wonder how McGregor would approach a fight with Aldo. He didn't seem to have an answer for poirier's leg kicks.   

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

10.01.2014 | 8:05 PM ET

McGregor's wide stance might help make him extremely light on the feet and harder to take down, but it's almost impossible to check kicks without losing your balance, so he just doesn't check them at all.

The McGregor we've seen is basically going to eat Aldo's kicks until he drops, but we know that he's an intelligent fighter who's going to know Aldo's advantage over him, so who knows how he'll adjust.

"الله أكبرl"

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

10.01.2014 | 8:25 PM ET

Prediction: correct McGregor   correct KO/TKO   correct Round 1  

What Anik said. 

His style appears susceptible to Aldo's kicks ... but he's also demonstrated high fight IQ so far. I'm interested to see how it would play out. 

Additionally, while McGregor would likely be vulnerable to the kicks, the counter to leg kicks is a cross, especially coming from a Southpaw ... so Aldo could also be playing with fire during those exchanges.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Page 11

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : 'Better than gold' Mike Perry wants to settle trash talk with Darren Till inside BKFC ring
  • Middle Easy : BKFC KnuckleMania IV Salaries, Revealed; Mike Perry Pockets Event-High $600K
  • MMA Mania : Go Pro? Texas Commission Rules On Paul Vs Tyson
  • MMA Mania : Aging Alves ‘Going Back To Retirement’
  • UFC.com : Monthly Report: April 2024
  • UFC.com : Get To Know The Challenger | Steve Erceg
  • MMA Junkie : Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson will be pro fight over eight 2-minute rounds
  • Bad Left Hook : Jake Paul vs Mike Tyson ‘sanctioned as professional fight’: Rules, glove weight
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul sanctioned as pro bout
  • Middle Easy : BKFC President David Feldman Explains How Conor McGregor Become Part Owner, Says Dana White Is ‘Probably A Little Mad’
  • MMA Junkie : Clay Collard vs. Mads Burnell headlines 2024 PFL 5 in Salt Lake City
  • MMA Junkie : Video: UFC 301 'Countdown' for Alexandre Pantoja vs. Steve Erceg
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Perry reacts to Conor McGregor becoming part owner of BKFC after calling for fight against him
  • Middle Easy : Colby Covington Doubts If Ian Garry Is ‘Serious’ About Fighting, Says He Has ‘Unfinished Business’ With Leon Edwards
  • MMA Junkie : Video: UFC 301 'Countdown' for Jose Aldo vs. Jonathan Martinez
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I don’t know why the referee stopped the fight’: Diaz reacts to TKO loss to Duarte
  • MMA Mania : Kentucky Fried Erceg Prepared For Brazilian Bottle Bombs
  • MMA Junkie : Matchup Roundup: New UFC, PFL, Bellator fights announced in the past week (April 22-28)
  • MMAFighting.com : On To the Next One: Matches to make after UFC Vegas 91
  • MMA Mania : Watch ‘Countdown To UFC 301’ Video