Tapology Forums

MMA Fighter Payouts....www.PAIROFSIXTEENZ.NET

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

pairofsixteenz
pairofsixteenz
  • Predictions:  1,123  |  58.8%
  • Forum Posts:  48
  • Post Score: 100

07.25.2011 | 5:33 PM ET

I also posted this in my UFC blog as well, but I really have to ask this question.  With the rapid growth of MMA, the fastest growing sport in history!  Why is pay so little?  These fighters risk a lot with little reward.  Sure you got a knockout, submission, or etc. but what about the fighters that fight to make a living because they eat and breathe the gym.  Looks like they can't quit there day jobs......

"LIKE US on facebook @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pair-Of-Sixteenz/233492496679986"

Responses

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

07.25.2011 | 5:38 PM ET

There official pay is little yes but they get a load of money from sponsorships and lockeroom bonuses etc.. it adds up to be a lot more than we actually think... still I agree they should be payed more!

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,564
  • Post Score: 275

07.25.2011 | 6:39 PM ET

There's a lot of reasons.

- There are tons of fighters out there willing to take fights for very little money. If you demand a lot of money, a promoter can just replace you with someone else.
- In terms of revenue coming in the door, the sport isn't anywhere near as big as football, baseball, basketball. Less money coming in the door means less that can be paid to fighters.
- The fighters aren't organized into a union or other body that would enable them to collectively negotiate for better pay or other rights.

"I live, I die, I live again."

type138
type138
  • Predictions:  7,905  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  154
  • Post Score: 89

07.25.2011 | 6:56 PM ET

CBA lockout looming??

good threrad

"One's company, two's a crowd, and three's a party"

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

07.26.2011 | 7:30 AM ET

I agree with most of @Gregory there, but still say the pay should be more consistent regardless of fighters in small shows accepting a few hundred $.  For example, compare the pay of the MW or WW champ of the UFC with Dominic Cruz.  All champions in the same org, but the pay scale is way off.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

07.26.2011 | 11:41 AM ET

OSP won his fight on the strikeforce challengers. he got 12,000 dollars. that does seem very low when you have to pay taxes and your trainer. these guys only fight 3 or 4 times a year. more if they are in smaller organizations. i once saw a wec fighter get 1000 dollars and he won his fight. it was a 3 or 4 years ago but darn that is very small amount.
wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

07.26.2011 | 9:33 PM ET

they need to start paying these fighters better. did anybody catch the machida wanted anderson silva money to fight evans on short notice.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Robert Whittaker hopes Jiri Prochazka steers clear of UFC middleweight move because 'then we're enemies'
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch stock car racing champ take UFC 301 prospect for 120 mph ride
  • MMA Junkie : Tom Aspinall says UFC 304 start time 'just not fair' for U.K. fans
  • Middle Easy : Charles Oliveira Insists He Did Enough To Beat Arman Tsarukyan At UFC 300: ‘It’s Very Complex’
  • UFC.com : Exciting Fighters You Might Not Know | UFC 301: Pantoja vs Erceg
  • UFC.com : Coach Conversation | Alexandre Pantoja vs Steve Erceg
  • Bad Left Hook : Turki Alalshikh targets Wilder vs Anderson on Aug. 3
  • UFC.com : Fighters On The Rise | UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : Daniel Cormier gives advice to Ilia Topuria after ‘not coming off great’ in booking first title defense
  • UFC.com : UFC Rankings Report | Week of April 29, 2024
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Step up and face that man’: Bradley says if Canelo has any dignity he’ll face Benavidez
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Step up and face that man’: Tim Bradley says if Canelo has any dignity he’ll take on David Benavidez
  • Middle Easy : Arman Tsarukyan Docked $30k From His Fight Purse After Attempting to Punch a Fan at UFC 300
  • MMA Junkie : Jake Paul, Mike Tyson announce two-city press conference tour for Netflix boxing match
  • MMA Mania : US Maintains Level 2 Travel Advisory For Brazil
  • Middle Easy : Tom Aspinall Reacts To UFC 304’s ‘Absolutely Terrible’ Timing, Offers Solution For UK Fans
  • MMAFighting.com : Claressa Shields’ takeaway from first 3 MMA fights: ‘I have potential to be an MMA champion’
  • MMA Junkie : Daniel Cormier uses Dustin Poirier as example to argue Justin Gaethje one win from UFC title shot
  • MMAFighting.com : Copa Combate winner Ramiro Jimenez re-signs with Combate Global to new multi-fight deal
  • UFC.com : BRAZILIAN BREAKDOWN | UFC 301