Tapology Forums

The Sleeping Bear: The Russians are Winning

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Jessebrownhimself
Jessebrownhimself
  • Predictions:  3,518  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  74
  • Post Score: 84

05.11.2014 | 1:00 PM ET

Russian fighters are entering the top Mixed Martial Arts promotions in numbers and they are winning. The UFC and Bellator have seen a huge influx of great fighters from Russia over the past few years. Although most believe that the UFC is the only legitimate proving ground for Mixed Martial Arts, it is not the case. Bellator is becoming increasingly professional in its level of competition and is expanding quickly. When adding their current Russian roster the concept becomes even more interesting. Below is a list of current Russian UFC and Bellator fighters along with records in their respective promotions. 

UFC:

Khabib Nurmagomedov 6-0

Rustam Khabilov 3-0

Adlan Amagov 2-0

Mairbek Taisumov 1-1

Rashid Magomedov 1-0

Zubaira Tukhugov 1-0

Ali Bagautinov 3-0

Omari Akhmedov 1-1

Gaslan Umalatov 0-1

UFC Combined Record: 18-3

Bellator:

Alexander Volkov 5-1

Vitaly Minakov 5-0

Mikhail Zayats 3-2

Alexander Shlemenko 11-1

Andrey Koreshkov 7-1

Alexander Sarnavskiy 4-2

Frodo Khasbulaev 5-0

Shabulat Shamhalaev 3-1

Bellator Combined Record: 43-8

UFC and Bellator Combined Record: 61-11

Regardless of promotion the Russian fighters are winning. They are fighting often and most importantly always away from home. Winning six out of every seven fights as a group is interesting especially when taking into account they are always fighting across the world. Even though there are more Russians in Bellator with more fights the ratio of winning is almost identical to that of the fighters in the UFC. There will be more Russian champions in top promotions over the next few years because of numbers alone. 

Recent Russian UFC Signings

Alexandra Albu

Adam Khaliev

Ruslan Magomodev

Oleksiy Oliynyk

Alexander Yakolev

Milana Dudieva

Sultan Aliev

Responses

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

05.11.2014 | 1:32 PM ET

Russian fighters are awesome.  There used to be a lot of top-of-the-food-chain Russian fighters and I found it curious that for several years no new Russian talent seemed to be emerging onto the international (or really U.S.) scene.

I suspected that maybe M-1 Global was somehow keeping a grip on all the talent, but as Fedor's career ended so did M-1's relevance and ability to lock up all the Russian talent.  But I really don't know if that's the case or if it was other circumstances that led to the drought we were seeing for so long.

"I live, I die, I live again."

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,503  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

05.11.2014 | 4:13 PM ET

Most of them are great but not sure how many would be champions in the UFC.

* Edited at 05.11.2014, 4:14 PM ET *

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : Adames vs Gausha and Puello vs Russell reportedly set for June 15
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Don’t Care About The Title. I Just Want To Fight Jones’
  • MMA Mania : McGregor Required To Reveal Earnings From Proper No. Twelve Sale
  • MMA Junkie : MMA Junkie Radio #3461: Daniel Cormier and Austin O'Connor interviews, UFC preview, more
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia extend partnership for another event, sponsorship deal
  • MMA Junkie : Joaquin Buckley aims for 'viral moment' in St. Louis homecoming fight at UFC on ESPN 56
  • MMA Mania : Dolidze Vs. Pereira Added To UFC Louisville
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC heavyweight Tai Tuivasa to appear on The Amazing Race Australia
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jared Cannonier Was Offered Paulo Costa At UFC 301, Admits Next Fight ‘Wasn’t What I Wanted’
  • MMA Mania : Jones: ‘Intern’ Champ Aspinall ‘Just As Selfish’ To Wait For Undisputed Title Fight
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘This is retirement for him’: Kambosos expects to end Lomachenko’s career with KO
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘This is retirement for him’: George Kambosos expects to end Vasiliy Lomachenko’s career with KO
  • Middle Easy : Stipe Miocic Reveals Timeline For Jon Jones Fight as ‘Bones’ Doubles Down on Ducking Tom Aspinall
  • UFC.com : Road To UFC Season 3 Matchups
  • MMA Junkie : Jared Cannonier vs. Nassourdine Imavov headlines UFC Fight Night in Louisville
  • MMA Junkie : Islam Makhachev predicts guillotine choke will lead to Dustin Poirier's downfall at UFC 302
  • MMA Mania : PFL MENA Weigh Ins Results, Staredowns!
  • MMAFighting.com : Derrick Lewis thought Popeyes was key to longevity, believes he’s in his prime ahead of UFC St. Louis
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 1 star Art ‘One Glove’ Jimmerson dies at 60
  • MMA Junkie : Jon Jones steadfast in Stipe Miocic fight over unifying UFC titles: 'I’m in the middle of a pretty clear decision'