Tapology Forums

How are you going to win your next amateur fight?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

joecooper22
joecooper22
  • Predictions:  1  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  11
  • Post Score: 82

04.20.2014 | 3:07 PM ET

There might be a dozen different fighting styles in Mixed Martial Arts, but only 3 strategic ways to win a fight.  Technicality, brawling, and fighting to "not lose".  Amateur fights usually turn into a brawl with less technicality, but there are few fighters that focus on fighting to "not lose".  The few fighters I'm talking about are on a path that begins with a Dead End sign. 

I recently took an interest in following an amateur fighter out of Illinois by the name of Mike Shipp.  To admit I am not impressed would be an understatement.  Shadow jabbing, and using his wrestling skills to take down fighters for a 2 minute dry hump session may get you wins, but enjoy your amateur winning record because fighting to "not lose" will get you no where in Mixed Martial Arts. 

Don't take me wrong, I respect any fighter willing to step in the cage after months, hours of training but I lose respect for those who do not develop their weaknesses.  Mike has fought an amateur fighter Brandt "the beast" Cooper twice.  Brandt took the first fight with 4 days noticed, unconditioned and lack of cardio led to tap out loss due to a shoulder choke (in my opinion).  Re-match fight left Mike going home with stitches and possible broken ribs but he continued to collapse on his opponent for take down points, even though he gets punched more on top rather than causing damage being held if half or full guard. 

Overall, Mike fights to "not lose" and has no future career in Mixed Martial Arts.  However, keep an eye out for Brandt Cooper "the beast", "the brawler" as he improves his ground game and continues to excel on his stand-up technicality.

*  Joe Dakota - MMA Amateur Blogger

Responses Page 2

joecooper22
joecooper22

04.20.2014 | 5:51 PM ET

Look dude, the whole point of this thread was to attract attention.  Assuming most would be negative, which is the point.  It's ******* Easter man.  If you're an atheist, JW, ect... and don't celebrate, I won't judge.  I will throw in the towel and let you take the win for "battle of the blog".  Capeesh?
Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

04.20.2014 | 5:55 PM ET

Capiche? Oh ho ho, the pedant is now victim to his own crime.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

How am I going to win my next amateur fight? The same way I win all the others, devastating oil checks
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 1 week, 2 days, 23 hours, and 5 minutes from now.
joecooper22
joecooper22

oh and btw...   my friend from MIT,  not cool.  He's a ******.
Motivated BJ Penn
Motivated BJ Penn
  • Predictions:  155  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  55
  • Post Score: 284

04.20.2014 | 5:56 PM ET

I think joecooper = mmafan2013/element
amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

04.20.2014 | 5:58 PM ET

I had nothing to add to this thread until Cthulhu mentioned oil checks

Nomad
Nomad

04.20.2014 | 5:59 PM ET

He's not MMAFan2013, that guy can't spell and speaks in drunk Irish slang. 

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

joecooper22
joecooper22

04.20.2014 | 5:59 PM ET

lol,   it's actually spelled "capisce" so my job is done here.  It's been a pleasure,  have fun!
curtwag84
curtwag84
  • Predictions:  13,940  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,695
  • Post Score: 273

04.20.2014 | 6:00 PM ET

look forward to reading your next blog Mr. Dakota

"I'd like to take this chance, to appologize. To absolutely nobody. -Connor McGreGOAT"

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

04.20.2014 | 6:02 PM ET

That's a little league oil check. Wrist deep guys start tapping in strange ways.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 1 week, 2 days, 23 hours, and 5 minutes from now.
Nomad
Nomad

04.20.2014 | 6:02 PM ET

Baby don't go.

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : MMA Junkie Radio #3461: Daniel Cormier and Austin O'Connor interviews, UFC preview, more
  • MMA Junkie : Joaquin Buckley aims for 'viral moment' in St. Louis homecoming fight at UFC on ESPN 56
  • MMA Mania : Dolidze Vs. Pereira Added To UFC Louisville
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC heavyweight Tai Tuivasa to appear on The Amazing Race Australia
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jared Cannonier Was Offered Paulo Costa At UFC 301, Admits Next Fight ‘Wasn’t What I Wanted’
  • MMA Mania : Jones: ‘Intern’ Champ Aspinall ‘Just As Selfish’ To Wait For Undisputed Title Fight
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘This is retirement for him’: Kambosos expects to end Lomachenko’s career with KO
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘This is retirement for him’: George Kambosos expects to end Vasiliy Lomachenko’s career with KO
  • Middle Easy : Stipe Miocic Reveals Timeline For Jon Jones Fight as ‘Bones’ Doubles Down on Ducking Tom Aspinall
  • UFC.com : Road To UFC Season 3 Matchups
  • MMA Junkie : Jared Cannonier vs. Nassourdine Imavov headlines UFC Fight Night in Louisville
  • MMA Junkie : Islam Makhachev predicts guillotine choke will lead to Dustin Poirier's downfall at UFC 302
  • MMA Mania : PFL MENA Weigh Ins Results, Staredowns!
  • MMAFighting.com : Derrick Lewis thought Popeyes was key to longevity, believes he’s in his prime ahead of UFC St. Louis
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 1 star Art ‘One Glove’ Jimmerson dies at 60
  • MMA Junkie : Jon Jones steadfast in Stipe Miocic fight over unifying UFC titles: 'I’m in the middle of a pretty clear decision'
  • MMAFighting.com : Roman Dolidze vs. Michel Pereira set for UFC Louisville
  • MMA Mania : Is UFC Leaving ESPN For Netflix?
  • UFC.com : Art Jimmerson, 1963 - 2024
  • MMAFighting.com : Jon Jones justifies decision to fight Stipe Miocic next over ‘another potential hype train’ Tom Aspinall