Tapology Forums

UFC full access streamed like Netflix

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

arcon
arcon
  • Predictions:  553  |  55.2%
  • Forum Posts:  84
  • Post Score: 142

03.21.2014 | 5:38 PM ET

I have UFC fight pass and feel that is not enough, but I am not willing to pay the $55 for every PPV event (I buy the 4 or 5 stacked cards they put on each year and skip the rest / watch em in replays for free). I am an avid MMA fan, however I would not consider myself a hardcore fan. I have never been to a UFC event (due to money restrictions not desire) and I watch most of the UFC fights + some of the fights outside the UFC.

This got me thinking why not do a full access UFC subscription. All other major sports have a full access pass letting you watch ALL the games, why not the UFC? To be clear what I want is one place that lets you watch EVERY UFC fight LIVE + some past fights on demand in one place for a monthly subscription. If they do something like put ALL the past fights of the fighters on X up coming card in the on demand part of this I think it would also serve to hype up the fights more, I know I would watch a few replays of both fighters in an exciting up coming fight.

If you average out what I pay for MMA content it comes to around $30 / month for fight pass + a PPV about every 3 months. I think that around $30 / month (+/- ~$5) is about what they would be able to charge for a full access UFC subscription and have people still buy it. incidentally this price point puts it about on par with something like NFL Sunday ticket witch costs $340 / year.

Now you might be thinking why would the UFC take the hit from $55 / month (assuming you buy ALL the PPV events) to go down to $30 / month. I think that the UFC would actually make more money off the subscription than they do with PPV as it stands by cutting out the cable company and instead having their content available via web browser, gaming consoles, android, apple devices, and smart TV's. To support this claim I will compare HBO to Netflix, HBO being run through the cable company and Netflix via the internet and apps. HBO Costs around $12 / month on average has ~ 31 million subscribers and generates $4.9 billion per year. Netflix costs $10 / month has ~ 31 million subscribers and generates $4.37 billion per year. HBO cost 20% more than Netflix has about the same number of subscribers and makes about the same amount of money (when you take into account that HBO also sells DVD's of its original content). Thus I conclude Netflix saves around 20% in operating costs by cutting out the cable company. Now its true the UFC would loose some income from the dire hard fan who buys every event, but I think they would make this up by having more views as the avid MMA fan such as myself would be more likely to do the sub than buy all the events. Not to mention more views = more advertising money.

On top of the potential gain in ease of access to the fans and profit to the UFC this APP system has room to grow. Imagine once this is up and running adding in a forum system for UFC discussion, potential tie ins with the latest UFC game, a simple and direct way for the UFC to see what the fans want, UFC fantasy leagues in the same place that you watch fights, and perhaps the most intriguing is a better platform for fighters to DIRECTLY reach the true fans cutting out a lot of the trolls (whos going to pay $30 / month to troll?).

I am not in the media industry so I could be wrong about the money stuff, this is just how it looks from my point of view googling some facts and such about it. I think a Netflix style subscription system could really benefit the UFC, fighters, fans and thus also benefit MMA as a sport.

Responses

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

03.22.2014 | 2:44 AM ET

I agree with you for the most part and I think Fight pass is meant to become that, it's just a matter of time (a long time probably). in some countries there's somehing kind of like that except is not streamed, it's a cable/satellite channel where they broadcast every event the full event, TUF's and old cards all Zuffa content, it's 10 dlls a month, ti would be better if it were streamed so we could choose what we want to watch. I would pay more for that.

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,528  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

03.22.2014 | 4:34 AM ET

I think that eventually they will, they just wanted to see the reaction to Fight Pass first (it was a great success), and now with PPV numbers declining and it getting more and more harder to block illegal streams I don't see any other way than to change with the times and put it all online (naturally for more that 10$ a month :) ).

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,503  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

03.22.2014 | 11:40 AM ET

Do you think the ufc will have all of the fights that they own? I mean everythinh including all prelims from UFC 1 on, all WEC, Affliction, WFA, and Pride. 
That and access to live events will be worth it.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

03.22.2014 | 5:58 PM ET

i won´t renew my subcription until they do

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

arcon
arcon
  • Predictions:  553  |  55.2%
  • Forum Posts:  84
  • Post Score: 142

03.23.2014 | 8:35 PM ET

My biggest issue with fight pass isnt the content, its the poor stream quality. 1/2 the time I can google any given fight i want to see on it and find a better quality stream elsewhere. I would like it if they rotated the library of old stuff a bit more, mostly I want fights of fighters that are about to fight in an up coming card so the fighter skill sets are fresh in my mind on live fight night.

I think you are right that fight pass will eventually evolve into something like this, I just want it to happen ASAP. I am sick of going back and forth between PPV, fox, fx, FS1, FS2, fight pass, and facebook to get my fight action.

Its unfortunate because right now both PS4 and Xbox 1 are advertising as full media hub and not just video games, so I bet they would both bend over backwards to get something like this up and running for the Fox connection feather in the cap.

Hopefully we get some steps in this direction soon. 
thefreeman
thefreeman
  • Predictions:  9,496  |  60.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,751
  • Post Score: 198

03.23.2014 | 8:57 PM ET

My fight pass is always crystal and far smoother than choppy illegal streams, no complaints from me in that department. I like the ability to watch whole event replays as I often miss live events due to work.
kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

03.23.2014 | 9:12 PM ET

I still don't regret my decision to get WWE Network instead of UFC Fight Pass.

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

03.23.2014 | 9:55 PM ET

WWE has a better product, its just too bad i don´t watch professional wrestling

The video quality and streaming speed of fightpass is actually quite good, that isnt the problem. The problem for me is that i´ve seen quite seriously almost every fight in their library. I used to search for fights i had never seen and was often disappointed that a fight i would like to see isn´t in the library. I want to be able to see every old fight, because there are still a lot i would like to from years ago. Until that´s possible i have no reason to re´-watch fights ive seen multilple times already. 

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Chael Sonnen makes case for Jose Aldo title shot after UFC 301
  • Middle Easy : ‘A Lot Of Jealousy,’ Sean O’Malley On What Sparked Conor McGregor’s Twitter Tantrum Towards ‘Suga’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 pre-event facts: Can Derrick Lewis extend all-time KO record?
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Paid More In Taxes Than I Made Last Year In My Fight’
  • MMAFighting.com : Dan Hardy picks Conor McGregor to beat Michael Chandler: ‘He’s got that refinement in his game’
  • Middle Easy : ‘Problem-Solving’ Cory Sandhagen Reveals One Weakness He Sees In Unbeaten Umar Nurmagomedov
  • UFC.com : Rankings Report | Week of May 6, 2024
  • Bad Left Hook : Jermall Charlo charged with DWI and fleeing after crashing Lamborghini
  • UFC.com : Last Time In St. Louis
  • UFC.com : Billy Goff Is Willing To Take The Risks
  • MMA Mania : White Accused Of Betting On NFL During Boring Bout
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Perry unsure Darren Till fight happens, teases interest in Caleb Plant: ‘Bring it on, motherf*ckers’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 commentary team, broadcast plans set: Laura Sanko joins booth for second time in 2024
  • MMA Junkie : Payton Talbott draws Yanis Ghemmouri at UFC 303 on June 29
  • MMA Mania : VIDEO: Sound & Pound — Will Lewis Turn Back Another Prospect?
  • MMA Junkie : Daniel Cormier: Jon Jones 'smart' for going after Alex Pereira over Tom Aspinall
  • MMAFighting.com : Alexandre Pantoja dreams of fight against flyweight ‘GOAT’ Demetrious Johnson
  • MMA Mania : Brain Damage Forces Hardy From BKFC 61
  • MMA Junkie : Heather Hardy suffering from effects of 'too much brain damage,' indicates fighting career is over
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch UFC champ Dricus du Plessis perform as Wildebeest on The Masked Singer