Tapology Forums

Which Strikeforce Champions could win UFC belts?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Master Blaster
Master Blaster
  • Predictions:  356  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  241
  • Post Score: 30

11.09.2010 | 5:41 PM ET

155: Gilbert Melendez (SF) vs Frank Edgar (UFC)
170: Nick Diaz (SF) vs Georges St Pierre (UFC)
185: Jacare Souza (SF) vs Anderson Silva (UFC)
205: Rafael Feijao (SF) vs Shogun Rua (UFC)
265: Alistair Overeem (SF) vs Cain Velasquez (UFC)

The only SF champ I pick to win outright is Gilbert Melendez. Just like Edgar was bad style-wise for Penn, I think Melendez has the well-rounded wrestling-based game, and size advantage, to give Edgar a real hard time.

Diaz would have the lowest chance. No way he can stay up on his feet, and he won't submit GSP off his back.

Souza, Feijao and Overeem I wouldn't pick to win but I think they all would have a decent chance. With Anderson Silva aging, Souza is tough and durable and might wear the Spider down.  Feijao vs Shogun would be a slugfest where anyone could get KO'd. And Overeem only needs one knee to the head even though I think Cain would outwork him.

"Break a deal, spin the wheel"

Responses

old dirt dog
old dirt dog
  • Predictions:  447  |  66.7%
  • Forum Posts:  236
  • Post Score: 33

11.09.2010 | 6:59 PM ET

The only fight on there I don't even want to see is GSP vs Diaz.  I don't think Diaz has a chance. **** I dunno who I want to see fight GSP.  Koscheck for all the trash talking, but then mostly middleweights I guess.  Or Jose Aldo. I'd check out an Aldo/GSP match for sure.  You know you'd start to convince yourself that maybe Aldo could do it.
Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

11.09.2010 | 7:04 PM ET

Why not Aldo vs Zuluzinho while we're at it.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

11.09.2010 | 7:08 PM ET

I would favor the UFC champion in every bout. The one fighter who has the best chance is Meledez. But I think Edgar is overall the better fighter than Melendez. The next closest shot would be Overeem, then trailing far behind are Jacare and Diaz, not because they are bad but because Anderson and GSP are so good. The least likely to win would be Cavalcante, partially because Shogun or many of the UFC LHWs are very good but also because I am not yet that impressed by Feijao. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

Dominic Decoco
Dominic Decoco
  • Predictions:  287  |  56.1%
  • Forum Posts:  115
  • Post Score: 17

11.09.2010 | 7:10 PM ET

NO WAY THOSE GUYS WOULD BEAT UFC CHAMPIONS.

The competition isn't as good outside the UFC and people just want to keep nut-hugging on all these old Pride guys. Melendez, Overeem, they don't fight top level fighters and if they did it would be a different story.
jeremy
jeremy
  • Predictions:  1,062  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  819
  • Post Score: 168

11.09.2010 | 7:15 PM ET

i would favor melendez outright.  i think he edges edgar in most of the skill and physical categories.  edgar is quicker but once you find him you can do some damage on him.  i think melendez would eventually start to control the octagon and throw the bigger power shots.  it would be interesting at the very least.

a few of the other guys would be outclassed.  feijao is obviously very dangerous, but i think shogun is way too fast and experienced and is just a higher class of striker.  that would end by tko.  overeem versus cain would be a very tense first round.  there's no question alistair can end things fast against anyone.  by round 2 and certainly 3 it would be all cain.

"Damn right I like the life I live / Cause I went from negative to positive."

Master Blaster
Master Blaster
  • Predictions:  356  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  241
  • Post Score: 30

11.09.2010 | 7:24 PM ET

Maybe you are watching too much UFC and not enough MMA, Decoco.

You could say Edgar would have an edge in this or that, but to say Melendez has no chance is wrong.  Melendez could just as easily have been signed by the UFC a year or two ago and you wouldn't know the difference.

If you give it some thought Souza vs Silva could be really interesting. Souza is tough! If Maia could get Silva tired, Souza could also. And Souza hits harder and probably has better takedowns. Not saying he'd be the favorite but it's a good fight.

"Break a deal, spin the wheel"

colgate
colgate
  • Predictions:  220  |  55.5%
  • Forum Posts:  39
  • Post Score: 13

11.10.2010 | 7:45 AM ET

Melendez could win.  Overeem probably not but all he needs is to connect once.  If he lands a knee like Cheick Kongo did against Velasquez multiple times, Velasquez will be KO'd.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : White: New UFC Deal Struck Because Saudi Arabia ‘Wanted Power Slap’
  • MMA Mania : ‘Bullet’ Wants ‘Demolidor’ In Saudi Arabia
  • MMA Junkie : 'Thank you for making my life easy': MMA community celebrates Mother's Day on social media
  • MMAFighting.com : Ciryl Gane to carry Olympic torch ahead of 2024 Olympic Games in Paris
  • MMA Mania : Matches To Make After UFC St. Louis
  • MMA Junkie : 5 biggest takeaways from UFC on ESPN 56: Derrick Lewis magic returns and Dana White criticism of main card winner
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Ex-Bellator title challenger Alejandra Lara bloodies opponent in first-round TKO win
  • MMA Junkie : Joaquin Buckley shifts to Gilbert Burns after unrealistic Conor McGregor callout: 'I'm definitely not going to get that'
  • MMA Mania : Lewis Ready To ‘Dibble Dabble’ In WWE, On One Condition...
  • MMA Mania : Lewis Ready To ‘Dibble Dabble’ In WWE (On One Condition)
  • MMAFighting.com : Deontay Wilder concerned for Mike Tyson in Jake Paul fight: ‘God forbid he gets hurt’
  • MMA Junkie : Mick Maynard's Shoes: What's next for Derrick Lewis after UFC on ESPN 56 knockout win?
  • MMAFighting.com : Olympic champ David Taylor closes door on wrestling, potential MMA career after becoming Oklahoma State coach
  • MMA Junkie : Former UFC champ Andrei Arlovski added to Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler card at UFC 303
  • Middle Easy : Derrick Lewis Plans To ‘Dibble Dabble’ In WWE While Fighting For UFC
  • MMA Junkie : Bryce Mitchell down with Sean Woodson's UFC St. Louis callout: 'I need some money'
  • MMAFighting.com : Mateusz Rebecki reveals gruesome aftermath of stoppage loss to Diego Ferreira in new hospital photo
  • MMA Mania : ‘We Gotta Get Out Of The Apex’
  • MMA Mania : Latest UFC 302 Fight Card, PPV Lineup
  • MMA Junkie : Dana White says UFC plans to hit road more in 2024: 'We've got to get out of the Apex'