Tapology Forums

How do you find out who these fighters are on all these shows?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

49ers
49ers
  • Predictions:  86  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8
  • Post Score: 200

09.15.2013 | 6:20 PM ET

I haven't heard of a lot of these guys on what I figure are smaller shows. How are we to figure out who can defeat who when they've never fought before, or never heard of them? That is why I pick only UFC shows but that is beside the point. Just wondering how this works, with all these fighters who have never fought on PPV or TV, don't know how to pick them if I have not ever seen them. Can anyone give me some advice, Thanks?

"Shat on a turtle"

Responses

49ers
49ers

09.17.2013 | 10:55 AM ET

Nobody?

"Shat on a turtle"

benjaminbrandt
benjaminbrandt
  • Predictions:  18,270  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  15,716
  • Post Score: 229

09.17.2013 | 11:05 AM ET

Most fighters have records on the ug (mixedmartialarts.com) even if they are 0-0 on Tapology.  

"I have not yet begun to defile myself. "

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

09.17.2013 | 11:05 AM ET

You can check out the UG and sherdog links on their page they some times will have records on there that we dont have on Tapology yet. Or you can use google search too!

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

curtwag84
curtwag84
  • Predictions:  13,940  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,695
  • Post Score: 273

09.17.2013 | 11:07 AM ET

Some of the smaller shows will have streams , If you watch them you will get more familiar with the fighters . Also Youtube has a large collection of fights from small shows , just type ******* vs ******* and you will most likely get a fight video. Otherwise its up to google and looking at whos fought the best guys on paper and going from there. As far as Ammy bouts go those are usually a toss up guessing game if both fighters are 0-0 or close to 0-0 then you try and find pics to see who looks more badass lol.

"I'd like to take this chance, to appologize. To absolutely nobody. -Connor McGreGOAT"

49ers
49ers

09.17.2013 | 12:20 PM ET

Thanks guys.

"Shat on a turtle"

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

09.17.2013 | 12:24 PM ET

What the others said is correct. Obviously over time, we hope to continue to add more and more info into our database regarding amateur fighters. Our pro system is pretty extensive, but we just can't afford to spend the time researching all of the ammies right now, especially since a lot of them only fight once, lose badly, and never do it again. 

Still, if they keep fighting, their records will continue to be fleshed out. And over time, we'll continue to add info where possible, such as fighter photos, etc. 

But in order to be truly successful picking the regional ammy shows, you need to do your own research, like the others said. And Tapology's fighter pages are set up in such a way that it makes your research easier, since we've got links to the other major databases in there already. 

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

09.17.2013 | 12:33 PM ET

I would suggest MMAMadhouse.com. We have an extensive amount of results from amateur organizations globally. Just use the search engine to find promotions and go from there MMATopics is good for midwest amateur organizations as well. We dont have actual fighter pages, but you can track down results and stuff thru both sites. 

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

49ers
49ers

09.17.2013 | 4:57 PM ET

Do the fighter's pages with the links you were referring to have links for their fights on YouTube as well?

"Shat on a turtle"

benjaminbrandt
benjaminbrandt
  • Predictions:  18,270  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  15,716
  • Post Score: 229

09.18.2013 | 1:16 PM ET

No. 

Sometimes a site contributor will add a fight from youtube, but that would be on the "bout" page, not the fighter's individual page. 

* Edited at 09.18.2013, 1:18 PM ET *

"I have not yet begun to defile myself. "

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,765  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,787
  • Post Score: 273

09.18.2013 | 8:27 PM ET

I would also suggest following the BLC threads, sometimes there are not that many events but the ones that they do pick usually consist of fighters that are pro and if they are amateur there are only 2-3 of those fights and they have a record listed on here, the UG or sherdog which are listed on the fighter's page.

For instance the events that are included this week will be UFC, Bellator and Cage 23 (a Finnish org that has some quality fighters on it, now most of the guys here not a lot of people would know but I think most have a record with at least 2+ fights which helps you predict their fights a tad better a long with info on their camps, style and past achievements.

One of the priorities of that league is they try to pick the events that will have the best coverage so you get to watch the fights whether it's PPV, legal stream or it's on cable/satellite. That helps you get to know the fighters in other orgs.

The other thing is experience, a lot of these guys I would never have known if it weren't for this website, I'd predict one of their fights and a few months later they'd have another and I'd be able to predict that. Some of these guy I have predicted up to 6+ times.  Now with the feature on the right of a fighter's page that shows you how many times you have predicted their fights correct or wrong, that helps too.

For the most part it includes a lot of factors though, fighter experience, fighter base (wrestling, BJJ, major achievements such as legit black belts or a wrestler division 1 wrestler etc) takedown defense, submission defense, striking defense, who they have fought and beat or lost to, heart, chin, endurance and many other things, I base my prediction's on many of those things and how the fight could play out based on those.

* Edited at 09.18.2013, 8:29 PM ET *

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Adrian Yanez aims to make it a 'beautiful disaster' for Vinicius Salvador at UFC Fight Night 241
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Fury Vs Usyk Final Press Conference Video!
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Jaleel Willis rushes Cedric Doumbe as brawl nearly breaks out at Bellator Paris weigh-ins
  • MMA Mania : Grudge Match! ‘Baddy’ Gets Bobby In Manchester!
  • MMAFighting.com : Sean Strickland calls out Paulo Costa for allegedly not signing UFC 302 contract, Costa responds
  • Middle Easy : Video – Sean O’Malley and Ryan Garcia Get Into Heated Debate During Live Stream: ‘I Could Literally Kill You’
  • MMA Mania : UFC 304 Books Edwards Vs Muhammad, Aspinall Vs Blaydes
  • MMA Mania : UFC 304 Gets Edwards Vs Muhammad, Aspinall Vs Blaydes
  • MMA Junkie : Bobby Green, Paddy Pimblett set to throw down at UFC 304 in Manchester
  • MMA Junkie : Interim heavyweight champ Tom Aspinall vs. Curtis Blaydes set for UFC 304 co-main event
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch BTL live now
  • Middle Easy : UFC Hall of Famer Daniel Cormier Offers Colby Covington Some Advice Following His Lackluster Effort Against Leon Edwards
  • UFC.com : Dana White Announces Key Bouts For UFC 304 In Manchester
  • MMAFighting.com : Leon Edwards, Tom Aspinall title defenses among five fights announced for UFC 304
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 304 official with Leon Edwards vs. Belal Muhammad headliner and more in Manchester
  • MMAFighting.com : Bellator Paris weigh-in results: Title fight official, one fighter misses
  • MMA Junkie : Renato Moicano prays Conor McGregor beats 'fake' Michael Chandler at UFC 303
  • MMA Mania : Fans Cry Steroids After Paul Reveals New Physique
  • Middle Easy : Sean Strickland Claims Paulo Costa Hasn’t Signed Contract for UFC 302 Fight: ‘You’re Acting Like You’ve Got Ovaries’
  • MMA Junkie : MMA Junkie Radio #3463: Bellator Paris and UFC Fight Night 241 previews, Fury-Usyk predictions, more