Tapology Forums

Possible fights?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

jerry5
jerry5
  • Predictions:  1,893  |  56.2%
  • Forum Posts:  179
  • Post Score: 81

07.04.2011 | 1:48 PM ET

So looking at the current roster and trying to read Joe Silva's mind, here's some thoughts I came up with. Let me know what excites you, what's probable and what's just crazy.

Lyoto Machida vs Tito Ortiz II (A rematch in light of Ortiz's firts win in 6 years? Machida needs a win anyway)
Chael Sonnen vs Brian Stann (New number one contender's match perhaps)
Jon Fitch vs Carlos Condit (I know people were talking about Fitch-Penn II but this makes more sense for active competition)
Matt Mitrione vs Shane Carwin (Mitrione keeps winning, could be a good test or get Carwin back on track)
Frankie Edgar vs Clay Guida (I know Edgar vs Maynard is in the works, but I think Guida has earned a title shot)
Gray Maynard vs Rafeal dos Anjos (Only if the previous fight happens)
Thiago Silva vs Ryan Bader (Silva is 2-2-1 in last five and Bader is 3-2.)
Mark Munoz vs Chris Leben
Martin Kampmann vs Anthony Johnson
Roy Nelson vs Gabriel Gonzaga
Jorge Santiago vs Nick Ring (Santiago relaly needs at least 1 UFC win)
Matt Serra vs BJ Penn II (I just wnat to see the rematch. Could be exciting because they are very similar)
damian Maia vs Chris Weidman
Josh Koscheck vs Rick Story
Sam Stout vs Anthony Pettis
Matt Hamill vs Brandon Vera
Dennis Siver vs Melvin Guillard II

"The young grow old, our pain and toys get bigger"

Responses Page 2

geezhound
geezhound
  • Predictions:  6,745  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,297
  • Post Score: 193

07.04.2011 | 8:30 PM ET

It must be something bad, because he hasn't fought in close to a year and I haven't read a thing about him.

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

ONE HIT QUIT
ONE HIT QUIT
  • Predictions:  15,676  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  362
  • Post Score: 165

07.04.2011 | 8:40 PM ET

I don't see the value in using a prospect like Mitrione to get Carwin back on track. Carwin needs to fight someone in the top 20 to prove he has what it takes to compete in the UFC.

and I wouldn't be surprised if Mitrione was in the top 20 HW in the UFC, but you get what I'm sayin.

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

07.04.2011 | 9:23 PM ET

I know Sherk was injury riddled.  As far as Mitrione vs. Carwin... I would probably pick Mitrione tbh at this point.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

geezhound
geezhound
  • Predictions:  6,745  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,297
  • Post Score: 193

07.04.2011 | 9:25 PM ET

That's crazy how much Carwin's stock has dropped. A year ago I wouldn't give Matt a chance against him, now I'm not so sure.

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

Kalibo
Kalibo

07.04.2011 | 9:26 PM ET

Agreed 100 percent.  Carwin is being exposed as pure power with not much MMA to offer.  I like him too.. great person.  I hope the UFC starts his career over the next year and let him build back up b/c his potential is still very high.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

jersey0525
jersey0525
  • Predictions:  2,766  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,536
  • Post Score: 188

07.04.2011 | 11:12 PM ET

i thought when carwin fought mir, that shane would be exposed for the no mma, bruce banner's green side fighter that he is...however, as mir has a suspect chin, carwin steamrolled through him...if meathead beats carwin, i'd put him up there with the top 10 ufc hw....right now though, he's looked impressive..although, if morecraft had followed the perceived gameplan of takedowns galore, he would of won a decision imo..thats why a fight with a huge wrestler like carwin might not go great for meathead..

"im an OT (ORIGINAL TAPOLOGIST), I used to write for cagepages.com. NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT LEFT HAND SHOT"

jerry5
jerry5

07.05.2011 | 8:21 PM ET

I let this thread go for too long, been busy over here, so I'll try and contribute to some opinions.

I think Koscheck-Story is more likely because Joe Silva typically likes to match people off of wins. I think it's a way to weed out fighters when they're on a losing streak. (Of course there's been exceptions, but I've noticed he does like to do that) I'm really not excited about Fitch-Penn II because Penn came out with a surprise attack which is the main reason he won the first round. But seriously, Fitch won the second and easily 10-8 the third. You can argue it all you want, but watching the fight you saw it, and the statistics back it up.

Dana White wants Tito out of the UFC, and I really think he’ll ask Machida to take him out again.

I’m a little impatient when it comes to the LW division. Edgar had to fight Penn, twice, and now Maynard twice. Let’s have someone else get a crack at it. Guida has grinded out enough wins and he’s always putting on a show (if you‘re not excited about Edgar-Guida then you‘re not a real fan of the LWs because that fight would get crazy). And if Maynard starts to whine, remember the Emerson fight when he was so clearly knocked out and still protested…come on Gray, you whine too much.

Mitrione is not a prospect. He’s too old. He has a interesting personality, but he just will never get to the upper echelon. And Pettis, after losing to Guida, he does need a win and Stout has earned another chance to get back up the rankings. To say Siver shouldn’t get a top ten fighter because he barely beat Wiman, that’s messed up. Wiman is a good fighter. 3 fight-of-the-nights in a row and wins over Tavares, Danzig and Miller, he’s not a stepping stone (the only time he’s ever been put away was before he even went through TUF and he was a last minute replacement for Leonard Garcia)

Looking at it a few days after posting, they all seem like great fights to me. Kampmann vs. Johnson, Guillard vs. Siver, and Nelson vs. Gonzaga are the ones I’m most excited about. For anyone who says Siver-Guillard is not a good fight because of the last time they fought, then you didn’t see the fight. Siver got rocked very early (I think the first punch) and I just think it’ll be a tighter fight than Guillard vs. Pettis…though I would like to see Pettis cracked.

krazyhopz
krazyhopz
  • Predictions:  14,820  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  2,098
  • Post Score: 158

07.05.2011 | 8:40 PM ET

i like kos/story, but i think i might go anthony johnson/kos II...i think johnson was winnin that fight before kos started his ***** ****. i like kos more than most ppl but that was weak.

i think munoz/stann needs to happen, and that should be the #1 contender fight...does anyone actually think the bisping/miller winner stands a chance w/ anderson? i'm sincerely hope not

i would put condit/story together, i know story's coming off a loss...but as i said before he only had 1 day notice as well and he just went thru 3 tough rounds with alves i think story beats brenneman 8/10

i like mitrione/carwin that seems like a good fight, and i think i have to go mitrione in that one...good footwork, carwin fights like his feet are stuck in cement

hamill/vera sounds like a decent prelim fight....i was a huge fan of vera, but for whatever reason he's just not getting it done at lhw and hamill's "great wrestling" looked extrememly sloppy against rampage

"Everyone has a gameplan 'till they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

jeff_manning_
jeff_manning_
  • Predictions:  372  |  55.9%
  • Forum Posts:  106
  • Post Score: 133

07.05.2011 | 10:46 PM ET

I have heard rumors that KOS is going up in weight and he is already targeting Stephen Bonnar, http://forums.ufc.production.sparkart.net/showthread.php?t=88388 , Bonnar has already made some pretty funny shirts making fun of Kos eye pokes. Pre fight talk would be funny if the fight happens.

"Fight with your hands not your face" - Ali

jerry5
jerry5

07.05.2011 | 10:55 PM ET

In fairness to Brenneman, Story was scheduled to be the main event and Brenneman was on an undercard fight. His fight with TJ Grant was pulled so it was actually 1 day notice for both of them. Though Story had less time to prepare as he was actually a replacement for Anthony Johnson.

jerry5
jerry5

07.06.2011 | 9:40 PM ET

Well I got the Sonnen-Stann fight right, but I'm not too thrilled to watch it.

Kalibo
Kalibo

07.06.2011 | 10:03 PM ET

Well, it was a good call.  I hope Jackson prepares him well.

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

07.07.2011 | 2:58 AM ET

I don't see Bonnar being able to make 185. He's big at 205. Kos should stop throwing a ***** fit and fight Carlos Condit. I think that would be a great fight and it would tell us more about if Condit is ready for a title shot.

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

xbassistdoodx
xbassistdoodx
  • Predictions:  2,546  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,218
  • Post Score: 104

07.07.2011 | 1:12 PM ET

Torres vs. Faber or Wineland. Make it happen Joe!

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" - Isaac Newton

ToddLoc
ToddLoc
  • Predictions:  675  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  138
  • Post Score: 93

07.07.2011 | 1:14 PM ET

i think benevidez is fighting wineland

"Anderson Silva is the Greatest MMA Fighter of ALL TIME"

xbassistdoodx
xbassistdoodx
  • Predictions:  2,546  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,218
  • Post Score: 104

07.07.2011 | 1:19 PM ET

@Todd

you're right! I'm from Northwest Indiana where they both live so I'm extremely hung up on seeing who would win that fight. But i train with Torres so my pick would be obvious!

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" - Isaac Newton

CashBrewyn
CashBrewyn
  • Predictions:  21,572  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  4,045
  • Post Score: 212

07.07.2011 | 1:20 PM ET

I said in my blog it would be a shame if Faber and Yamamoto never end up fighting..but for now I think it will be Faber/Torres or Faber/Bowles

"My hearts pumpin' the blood of Royce Gracie My thoughts dumpin' the slug and point straightly"

ToddLoc
ToddLoc
  • Predictions:  675  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  138
  • Post Score: 93

07.07.2011 | 1:32 PM ET

@bassist , thats cool. im from chicago area so my pick would be obvious as well.  q; )
Faber vs Kid will never happen imo.   but it would be an exciting fight.

"Anderson Silva is the Greatest MMA Fighter of ALL TIME"

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Ilia Topuria denies Joe Rogan's claim he turned down Alexander Volkanovski rematch for UFC 305
  • UFC.com : The 10: Mapping Out The Must-See UFC Fights In The Month Ahead
  • UFC.com : Vitor Petrino Aims To Continue Rapid Ascent
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Canelo Vs Munguia Press Conference Video!
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Thinks Justin Gaethje Is ‘One Win Away’ From Getting A Title Shot Despite UFC 300 KO Loss
  • MMA Junkie : Alexander Volkanovski confident Max Holloway makes it 'look easy' against UFC champ Ilia Topuria
  • Middle Easy : Manel Kape Says He’s ‘Undefeated In The Streets’, Could Beat Israel Adesanya In A Street Fight
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I’m looking to upset the world’: Valenzuela geared up to pull off win over Pitbull
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I’m looking to upset the world’: Jose Valenzuela geared up to pull off upset over Isaac ‘Pitbull’ Cruz
  • MMA Mania : Volks Slams Topuria For ‘Saying No To Everyone’
  • MMA Junkie : Ilia Topuria vows to surpass Cristiano Ronaldo as highest-paid athlete in 2025: 'I have no doubt, really'
  • UFC.com : UFC UNFILTERED | Aljamain Sterling, Beneil Dariush, UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez Recap
  • MMAFighting.com : Steve Erceg expects ‘bottles to be thrown at me’ following win over Alexandre Pantoja at UFC 301
  • MMA Junkie : Ali Alqaisi vs. Samuel Bark featherweight title fight headlines UAE Warriors 50
  • Middle Easy : Alexandre Pantoja Tells Sean Strickland To ‘Shut Your Mouth’, Claims He ‘Smashed’ Sean O’Malley In Sparring And ‘Suga’ Has The Video
  • MMA Mania : Canelo Vs Munguia Fight Card, PPV Start Time
  • MMA Junkie : David Feldman: Conor McGregor a BKFC minority owner, 'but he has a lot of say in this company'
  • Middle Easy : Robert Whittaker ‘Very Confident’ His Grappling Skills Are Better Than Khamzat Chimaev, Reveals Gameplan For ‘Borz’
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘The world is waiting for it’: Usyk’s promoter hopes Fury takes precautions for May 18 showdown
  • MMA Mania : Izzy Beware! Manel Kape ‘Undefeated In The Streets’