Topic: Barão vs. Wineland

Barao vs. Wineland

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,622  |  73.7%
  • Forum Posts:  17,565
  • Post Score: 60

07.05.2013 | 1:23 AM ET

Prediction: correct Barão   wrong Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Barao vs. Wineland. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

07.05.2013 | 1:23 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Wineland   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

Like Barao, but am a huge Wineland fan...picking solely on fandom here!!

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

07.05.2013 | 2:01 AM ET

Prediction: correct Barão   wrong Submission   correct Round 2  

I wish I had your degree of fandom, Soccerkick. I picked against 2 of my favorite fighters because I thought they didn't have a good chance (Maia against Fitch & Wanderlei against Stann). 

I get what I deserve.
MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,359  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

07.05.2013 | 6:45 AM ET

When this fight initially got announced the first time, I was picking Wineland just because I'm a fan of his.. Now that it's announced again, thinking about the fight I really do think Wineland could take this. He has the striking to do it, very technical very powerful. He really isn't 'weak' anywhere. 

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

2kTweeK
2kTweeK
  • Predictions:  6,520  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,103
  • Post Score: 141

07.13.2013 | 7:20 AM ET

Dominick Cruz has brittle bones and should hand over that title to the real champ Renan Barao
NoJuice11
NoJuice11
  • Predictions:  8,305  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,544

07.13.2013 | 7:43 AM ET

Prediction: correct Barão   wrong Submission   wrong Round 4  

Cruz fell off the ****** map, I don't understand how he's still hurt.

"Dude everyone knows Shaq got rich off playing in college"-Baseketball

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

07.13.2013 | 8:03 AM ET

When Cruz had his first surgery they tried to put a cadaver ACL into his knee, and his body rejected it. He had to have surgery twice for the same injury, and the rehab is expected to take close to a year. Sad that he's had to go through such a long layoff for this injury. I don't really understand all the talk of him retiring though, he's still only 27 years old and he's an elite fighter.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day, 19 hours, and 36 minutes from now.
NoJuice11
NoJuice11
  • Predictions:  8,305  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,544

07.13.2013 | 10:18 AM ET

Yeah for sure, It's never a good omen when your the interim champion, its almost like your borrowing the belt. Cruz has to come back so we can see who the real champ is.

Not to mention him and barao would be fireworks

"Dude everyone knows Shaq got rich off playing in college"-Baseketball

zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

07.13.2013 | 11:17 AM ET

Cruz said he's probably gonna be back at the end of the year or early next year. With this bout being held late in September, if Cruz is healthy, I'm sure they'll have Cruz fight the winner of Barao/Wineland in January or February. Hopefully Cruz will be healthy. I wanna see that dude back in the game. It blows that his second ACL injury happened 7 months after the first. He's going to have been out for at least 26 months by the time he returns, which, since that's the case I'll probably take Wineland or Barao to beat him.

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

Card
Card
  • Predictions:  3,852  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,128
  • Post Score: 176

09.15.2013 | 6:02 PM ET

Prediction: correct Barão   wrong Submission   wrong Round 1  

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

09.15.2013 | 6:10 PM ET

Wineland is going to shock a lot of people, might pull off the upset even. 

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

zarog
zarog

09.15.2013 | 6:23 PM ET

Wineland's very good. He's a salty vet with big power and good TDD. Thing is, I see him as an older, more experienced, less athletic version of Michael McDonald. High level striker with big power, lanky bodies, with pretty decent TDD (don't know about Wineland's ground game, I don't think it's quite as advanced as McDonald's, but it's been a long time since I've seen Wineland hit the mat, so who knows). I don't think Wineland's as fast as McDonald based on their performances against Pickett, so I'm guessing the speed differential between Barao and Wineland will be the difference. In combat sports, speed kills.

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

Nomad
Nomad

09.15.2013 | 6:34 PM ET

It's funny, because I actually see Wineland as more athletic than Mcdonald, bigger, stronger, better takedown defense, more experience, better footwork, head movement, great use of odd angles and an open wide stance fighters aren't used to. A wiser fighter than Mcdonald too. I actually think Wineland will be a bit quicker than Barao. Hopefully he got a full fight camp and wasn't hitting a heavybag at a firestation for half the last month.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

zarog
zarog

09.15.2013 | 6:40 PM ET

@Nomad Perhaps those things are true. If he is faster than Barao, then I fully expect Wineland to KO Barao in the first 2 rounds. I'm just using their fights against Pickett as my point of comparison. Like I said, can't compare ground games really since Wineland hasn't hit the mat since Benavidez beat him, but his TDD against Jorgensen was VERY impressive, so I can see his TDD being better than McDonald's. I think Wineland's a lot more technical in his boxing than McDonald, but his inability to begin adapting kicks into his game seems like it could be detrimental against a guy like Barao who will no doubt try to take away Eddie's speed with leg kicks early. This is a tough fight to call, but I still think Barao has the edge, and if it hits the ground I can definitely see Barao tapping Wineland. Barao's just so quick to latch on to submissions; I look at those subs against Pickett and McDonald and I'm just in shock at how quick he transitioned into locking those subs up.

Nomad
Nomad

09.15.2013 | 7:09 PM ET

Barao is a ninja on the mat, no doubt. That transition into the arm triangle against Michael and taking Picketts back after that blazing fury were just amazing. Wineland's karate backround has really given him a unique style to his take on punching, he's quirky and I expect Barao to train with pro boxers to prepare only to be shocked at how Wineland uses different ranges, angles, stances and combinations than most technically sound boxers. He's quick, his body movement is absolutely quicker than Barao's I think his hand movement may be too. Barao cuts a ton of weight and Wineland lands devastating body shots. 

I think Wineland was thrown off by Benavidez so much because he was quicker and utilized more movement than him, 2 things Barao cannot do. Also, I can just imagine fighting guys like Benavidez and Mighty Mouse at 135 they just have the speed, athletic and technical advantages over almost anyone and thats hard to combat even with a size advantage. This is a really good fight, Michael wasn't ready for the title shot when he got in, maybe in 2 or so years because I see him losing to Faber in his next outing but Winelands career hit it's second wind he is better than ever and surely will not be daunted.

I have to favor Barao myself, but I think this will be a hell of a fight personally.

* Edited at 09.15.2013, 7:19 PM ET *

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

09.16.2013 | 12:21 AM ET

Walking to the Air Canada Centre from my apartment for this one. Excited for this fight most of all because I think it could be a technical war. 

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Card
Card
  • Predictions:  3,852  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,128
  • Post Score: 176

09.19.2013 | 3:47 PM ET

zarog
zarog

09.19.2013 | 4:01 PM ET

Lol. Barao looks high as a kite right there.

MMATycoon
MMATycoon
  • Predictions:  7,154  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  887
  • Post Score: 227

09.19.2013 | 4:20 PM ET

I really like Wineland, and I think he is a great fighter, but Barao is just the best fighter between them both.

"www.mmatycoon.com"

betvic
betvic
  • Predictions:  145  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  4
  • Post Score: 125

09.19.2013 | 10:22 PM ET

The most likely outcome in this fight would appear to be a decision win & based on Barao's work rate & his ability to mix it up & frustrate fighters, it would have to go his way.

"@BetVictor"

StickmanAndrw
StickmanAndrw
  • Predictions:  5,405  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,146
  • Post Score: 141

09.20.2013 | 3:36 PM ET

Wineland will put up a valient fight, but in the end, he loses this one and Barao will retain again.

"I can't think of anything witty to say at the moment..."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.