Topic: Faber vs. Alcântara

Faber vs. Alcantara

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,622  |  73.7%
  • Forum Posts:  17,552
  • Post Score: 60

06.05.2013 | 4:29 AM ET

Prediction: correct Faber   correct Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Faber vs. Alcantara. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 2

nogfan
nogfan
  • Predictions:  15,253  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,269
  • Post Score: 199

08.06.2013 | 6:19 PM ET

Prediction: correct Faber   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

gebe you realize Faber fights nothing like Machida and  he never loses title fights beginning with his loss to Tyson Griffin at Gladiator Challenge.  but seeing how decisions have gone recently that could feasibly happen. 

* Edited at 08.06.2013, 6:40 PM ET *

ProdigyKid14
ProdigyKid14
  • Predictions:  8,848  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,902
  • Post Score: 195

08.06.2013 | 6:22 PM ET

^I don't think that's what he meant, probably just means that if a fight goes to decision then you really have no idea who won, regardless how the fight went.

And Urijah's fight with Tyson was actually for a title. So literally all of Faber's losses were in title fights, that's kind of funny.

"I fight em all. Men, women, children, ******** people, it doesn't matter. If you hit me, we're gonna fight. -Charles Bennett"

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

08.06.2013 | 6:41 PM ET

I'm not discrediting Alcantara, I like him and I think he has potential, but he has 2 fights in the UFC and they already trowing him to the wolves

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  32,017  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,972

08.06.2013 | 6:52 PM ET

Alcantara's had 5 fights in the UFC, and also fought Ricardo Lamas in the WEC at their last show. That being said, Faber has tooled Bowles, Menjivar, and Jorgensen and Alcantara lost to Hacran Dias, can't see Alcantara winning here.

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

08.06.2013 | 6:56 PM ET

@gebe. True, but we knew Davis had better wrestling than Machida (and it's debatable that he actually beat him). Seems Faber has Alcantara beat on all facets of MMA.

* Edited at 08.06.2013, 7:01 PM ET *

Gebe
Gebe
  • Predictions:  2,174  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,292
  • Post Score: 198

08.06.2013 | 7:50 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Alcântara   wrong Decision  

but Machida had the best TDD of the division

"Fighter by day, Lover by night"

benjaminbrandt
benjaminbrandt
  • Predictions:  18,270  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  15,716
  • Post Score: 229

08.06.2013 | 7:53 PM ET

^^He probably still does......

"I have not yet begun to defile myself. "

Gebe
Gebe
  • Predictions:  2,174  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,292
  • Post Score: 198

08.06.2013 | 8:09 PM ET

sorry , HAS, was reffering to the fact that those 2 attributes cancel each other out mostly, and on the paper there was no damn way phil could to anything to Faber.

I'm just saying fighting is sooo unpredictable. One punch is all you need, and if Serra GSP happend, it can happen anywhere

"Fighter by day, Lover by night"

Applejackfean3
Applejackfean3
  • Predictions:  109  |  73.4%
  • Forum Posts:  3
  • Post Score: 67

08.07.2013 | 3:39 AM ET

Prediction: correct Faber   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

I'm looking for this fight to be pretty fast paced .. Excited!!

"Losing Is not an Option"

TAMANinja
TAMANinja
  • Predictions:  2,226  |  52.4%
  • Forum Posts:  597
  • Post Score: 303

08.07.2013 | 9:12 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Alcântara   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

" I think that his name brings great promotion to the FS1 network. He is by far no doubt the biggest star of the UFC below 155 pounds. "

You on crack!?!?!? There's some guy named Aldo that's a bigger star, oh yeah and Frankie Edgar, and eh what's his name Dominick Cruz, and that Barao guy. This isn't 2008 dude. I admittedly think Faber has been overrated for ages, is boring, and just had no one to contend with him back in the day, but I feel like most every MMA fan I know thinks Faber is a lame California d-bag. Dude hasn't really beaten anyone good other than a young inexperienced Cruz.

I'm picking Alcantara and I admit it's probably not where the smart money is at, but I think this fight is going to be far more competitive than people think.

EDIT: I remember people thinking I was crazy for saying the Jorgensen fight wasn't going to be easy for Faber and look how that turned out and I think Alcantara doesn't have the veterany-ness that Jorgensen has but he's more explosive, athletic and has way more upside.

* Edited at 08.07.2013, 9:19 PM ET *

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

08.07.2013 | 9:20 PM ET

@tama you are talking about if he's the best fighter and if he's exciting or not.   that's different from being the biggest star.

"I live, I die, I live again."

ProdigyKid14
ProdigyKid14
  • Predictions:  8,848  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,902

08.07.2013 | 9:32 PM ET

4 out of 5 of Faber's most recent victories are all over guys who have held a belt at 135 or fought for one. Saying a win over a young Dom Cruz is his biggest win makes zero sense.

"I fight em all. Men, women, children, ******** people, it doesn't matter. If you hit me, we're gonna fight. -Charles Bennett"

zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

08.07.2013 | 9:56 PM ET

I don't like Faber, but the idea that he is not one of the biggest stars is ludicrous. Go find a person that watches MMA only once in a while (like every other month). If you ask them to name fighters at 145 and below, I guarantee Faber will be one of the first people they can name. Aldo's star doesn't shine as bright as it should because he can't speak English. 

As for Faber being overrated, no. He has not ever been overrated. He dominated the 145 division when it was weak, no doubt, but he was #1 at the time it was weak. When it became apparent there was a changing of the guard with Mike Brown and Jose Aldo, he moved down. Since then he has lost only to Dominick Cruz and Renan Barao. His list of wins includes Eddie Wineland (has an upcoming title fight with Renan Barao), Brian Bowles (former WEC Bantamweight champion), and Scott Jorgenson (one-time title challenger for WEC & UFC belts).

For those saying we're underrating Alcantara, we're probably not. I believe Alcantara is easily top 10 in the UFC BW division. The thing is he's almost as old as Urijah and he hasn't fought as good of competition. Faber's never lost a non-title fight. With those things in mind, Urijah should clearly be the favorite.

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

TAMANinja
TAMANinja

08.08.2013 | 9:29 AM ET

I'll concede that Faber might be more known to people who barely watch MMA , but I don't think that makes him a bigger star in the sport. I think if you polled the MMA community - including fair weather fans and hardcore fans -  and asked who is a bigger star Aldo or Faber, Aldo would definitely come out on top. I just can't think of a time that anyone I know - which admittedly is a small sample size - bought a card to see a Faber fight or that a Faber fight was hyped by the UFC or Dana. I just don't see him as a draw.

As far as his list of win including Eddie Wineland, Brian Bowles, and Scott Jorgensen - those guys just aren't that good. Basically a list of journeymen gatekeepers who were challenged for the title when the weight classes were weaker and have lost to most everyone good - other than Bowles one punching Torres.

Also, how is his win over the otherwise undefeated champ Dominick Cruz not his biggest win?!? Cruz is definitely better than the above fighters and the next best fighters Faber has fought are submission defense master Jens Pulver and somewhat successful Japanese guy Takeya Mizugaki.
bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

08.08.2013 | 9:46 AM ET

Prediction: correct Faber   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

Faber will always be #2 no matter the weight class. He's a great fighter, but he won't ever be a champion again. He refuses to change his strategy. If he mixed his wrestling with his striking and didn't make his style so predicatable i think he would fare much better in his fights, and maybe thats something Duane Bang is finally helping him realize..... but i don't see him ever being a champ again.
Judo Moniz
Judo Moniz
  • Predictions:  1,087  |  66.1%
  • Forum Posts:  41
  • Post Score: 212

08.08.2013 | 10:07 AM ET

Faber is great but like someone said before he will never be champ again.. The combination of Very decent Striking ability, game changing Wrestling and some of the best Grappling i've ever seen will carry him in this one.. i would say he would win by KO but i've never seen Alcantara's chin fail him
curtwag84
curtwag84
  • Predictions:  13,940  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,695
  • Post Score: 273

08.08.2013 | 10:30 AM ET

I can see a legit scenario where Faber is champ , and it could happen sooner than later.

Cruz retires due to injury

Aldo moves to LW and Barao moves to FW  (Both have said thats their plans the only question is when will Aldo move up)

Then as long as Faber can beat McDonald and Alcantara hell finally be champ  :p

"I'd like to take this chance, to appologize. To absolutely nobody. -Connor McGreGOAT"

2 Nyce
2 Nyce
  • Predictions:  19,158  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,852
  • Post Score: 214

08.08.2013 | 11:28 AM ET

True, that could happen.

I think he could / can beat Barao/Cruz if he fought them now and had a full camp.  Especially since they are coming off injuries.   

Cruz especially, worse injury and a long layoff.
bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

08.08.2013 | 11:36 AM ET

Prediction: correct Faber   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

That's alot of variables, Aldo has a few fights left at 145 and Barao has only defended the interim title once. Plus i don't think Barao is a very large 135, he'd be better suited to stay at 135 for his career.
TAMANinja
TAMANinja

08.08.2013 | 3:49 PM ET

Not trying to be disagreeable but Barao is the same weight as Aldo, I've heard some say he's heavier.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/02/if-ufc-champ-jose-aldo-moves-up-in-weight-teammate-renan-barao-could-follow

"Actually, I'm naturally the same weight as Aldo, but I cut more to make weight," Barao said. "I think I would suffer a lot less. I sacrifice a lot by cutting. I'd be able to eat a little better and relax a little more.

"I think the weight cut is what makes me most nervous going into a fight. I get very neurotic. I would be much more relaxed."

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Tests Positive for Banned Substance Ahead of Haney Fight, Denies Any Wrongdoing
  • MMA Mania : Cursed? Not Even Poatan Could Save UFC 301
  • MMA Junkie : MMA Junkie's Submission of the Month for April: One former UFC champ makes another tap for the first time
  • MMA Mania : ‘Big Lies!’ Garcia Reportedly Tests Positive For PEDs, Boxer Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Paul Hughes explains choosing PFL over UFC offer: 'I deserve to get compensated'
  • MMAFighting.com : Ryan Garcia tests positive for banned substance in Devin Haney fight, Garcia responds
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘These are people that are trying to attack me’: Garcia claims fake news on positive PED report
  • MMAFighting.com : No Bets Barred: Will Jose Aldo and Alexandre Pantoja give Brazil something to cheer about at UFC 301?
  • MMA Junkie : Reports: Ryan Garcia tested positive for PEDs in upset win over Devin Haney
  • Bad Left Hook : Report: Ryan Garcia tests positive for banned PED
  • MMA Mania : Topuria Denies Refusal Of Volk, Holloway Responds To ‘B—ching Motherf—ker’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301's Steve Erceg aware of unusual title shot opportunity, still feels pressure to win
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 fight card: Pantoja vs. Erceg
  • UFC.com : UFC Championship Fights That Have Happened In Rio de Janeiro
  • MMAFighting.com : Alex Pereira takes down Daniel Cormier in UFC 301 hallway tussle
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Alex Pereira forces Daniel Cormier to plead for help with takedown: 'Stop this guy'
  • Middle Easy : Canelo Alvarez and Oscar De La Hoya Nearly Throw Hands in Heated Press Conference Confrontation
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 Embedded, episode 3: ‘I could fight right now’
  • MMA Mania : Video: Cormier Saved By Security From Pereira Manhandling
  • Middle Easy : Paige VanZant Not Looking Past Fellow OnlyFans Star Elle Brooke: ‘I’m Gonna Get Ready For War’