Topic: Silva vs. Weidman

Silva vs. Weidman

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,673  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,584
  • Post Score: 60

02.27.2013 | 10:31 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Silva   wrong Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Silva vs. Weidman. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 3

DelRose
DelRose

06.17.2013 | 6:12 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Silva   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

@Justyn

Please, you think that last minute choke in round 5 was luck?

He played sonnen till the last round. Why would a fighter as mediocre as chael do that to Silva? Every punch landed on Silva was ineffective, if you examine it closely You can see Silva throwing himself backwards. I don't see how this is SO ******* HARD to believe, he ****S with his opponents all the time.

"That hole is tighter than a nuns nasty"

Gebe
Gebe
  • Predictions:  2,174  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,292
  • Post Score: 198

06.17.2013 | 6:15 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Silva   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

People thinking Silva will lose are just hoping and convincing themself that Weidman will be the one. He doesnt seem to be "the one" yet , too green.

Silva's fighting is at an "art" level. He's no slugger, he thinks every move he makes and does everything so precise and well is like a painter doing his work.

Some fighters fight like they would mine a rock, some fight like they would move furniture, yet some fight to make art, and I'm sorry to say, but that kind of fighting has only one weakness. A better artist or  a more inspired one at the moment.

Furthermore fighting is about adapting to your opponent. You don't really see even top guys doing it, fighting by adapting his style to counter his opponents strong points and forcing on the weakenesses. They usually come with a gameplan already made from home, and if they are surprised with smth they didnt oversee, then they have a problem.

We've all seen battles where top guys wouldfind a weakness in someones armour, pound that spot, but his victim would not adapt and change his game in order to counter his opponents tactic, letting go of the gameplan and adapt, improvise, do the unexpected.

In the Colton Smith vs Whitaker fight, look at Colton. He saw Robert was ready for his every takedown because of the changed stance, but he didnt adapt his game to take on Whitaker. He just shot in for takedowns over and over and landing the ocassional punch.

this is the first and most recent example i could think off. This post is long and i'll stop it here, but more examples come to mind, and i'm sure you all know .

Bottom line: i dont see Weidman being able to adapt to everything Silva has to offer, but Silva addapts to anything his opponents ofered him.

"Fighter by day, Lover by night"

Gebe
Gebe
  • Predictions:  2,174  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,292
  • Post Score: 198

06.17.2013 | 6:18 PM ET

@Justyn : chael is a better wrestler than weidman, and look what Silva did to him in their second bout. I remember seeing Silva stuffin takedowns. 
Don't you think he'll expect Weidman to want to take him down, because I bet Weidman doesnt wanna trade punches with Silva

"Fighter by day, Lover by night"

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

06.17.2013 | 6:25 PM ET

DelRose that's hilarious. None of the punches effected him. He got dropped standing at least once. Regardless of how good Silva is, he's not stupid enough to let someone pound on him for 20+ minutes and risk losing his title if he can't pull a sub off in the last two minutes of a fight. Everyone who thinks he "let" Chael do that to him need to get ******' real.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 1 week, 6 days, 2 hours, and 38 minutes from now.
amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

06.17.2013 | 6:39 PM ET

Chael and Weidman have different wrestling styles, so I think this fight will be completely different than the 2 with Chael. Chael is more of a power wrestler, Weidman has a bit for finesse and uses his striking to set up the takedowns. Also, I think we can all agree that Weidman's striking is much better than Chael's. His size alone should make Silva choose a completely different gameplan.
CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones

06.17.2013 | 6:41 PM ET

Ineffective striking
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 1 week, 6 days, 2 hours, and 38 minutes from now.
DelRose
DelRose

06.17.2013 | 6:56 PM ET

Oh come on, that gif adds to my argument. Not a scratch nor broken bone or any injury on Silva after the fight. Please all he needs is a few minutes to beat chael. Doing it in the last round wouldnt have mattered.

"That hole is tighter than a nuns nasty"

JustynOfOsiris
JustynOfOsiris
  • Predictions:  4,334  |  57.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,239
  • Post Score: 122

06.17.2013 | 6:59 PM ET

Prediction: correct Weidman   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

@delrose dude don't be stupid. I never said anything about the choke. Not it was not luck. That however by no means changes the fact that Chael used his wrestling to dominate SIlva for 4 and a half rounds. You ignorantly said Silva has no weaknesses but Chael Sonnen showed that one of his weaknesses is someone who will bring the pressure with their wrestling.

"Is reality really realistic?"

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

06.17.2013 | 7:18 PM ET

"Chael Sonnen showed that one of his weaknesses is someone who will bring the pressure with their wrestling."

I wish it were so simple little JB, I wish it were just that. Pressure Silva with wrestling and he will falter, 'cause the only one who tried that and was successful to an extent was Chael Sonnen.

No, the reason why Chael Sonnen repeatedly took Silva down was because he was a southpaw who exclusively resorts to the double leg takedown, whether it be to bring the fight to the ground or to initiate the clinch. Chris Weidman isn't that.

"الله أكبرl"

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones

06.17.2013 | 7:20 PM ET

DelRose in order for a strike to be considered effective to you it has to break bones or cause scratches? That ****s up so many KOs I've seen that did no structural damage to the face but put the guy completely asleep.
DontBeScaredHomie
DontBeScaredHomie
  • Predictions:  44,107  |  58.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,217
  • Post Score: 279

06.17.2013 | 9:24 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Silva   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

I see this starting a lot like Silva/Sonnen 1 with Weidman scoring early takedowns and imposing his will only problem is i dont think Weidman has the gas tank that Chael does and will start to fade in the 3rd and end up eating a knee/elbow/jab/frontkick/whatever highlight real craziness Silva want to pull off on that night im just excited to see it

"Ohhhhhhhh ****! Look at that door, dude. See that door there? The one marked "Pirate"? You think a pirate lives in there?"

2 Nyce
2 Nyce
  • Predictions:  19,158  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,852
  • Post Score: 214

06.17.2013 | 9:30 PM ET

Prediction: correct Weidman   wrong Submission   wrong Round 4  

Get at meh
zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

06.17.2013 | 9:31 PM ET

I would take Weidman if he was a huge underdog, but he's not, only a moderate, so I cannot in good conscience pick against the SpiderGOAT (look up TTTHS on Youtube if you don't get the reference). 

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,395  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

06.18.2013 | 11:30 AM ET

Accurate. 

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

SethKindel
SethKindel
  • Predictions:  233  |  54.1%
  • Forum Posts:  33
  • Post Score: 221

06.18.2013 | 11:53 AM ET

Prediction: correct Weidman   correct KO/TKO   correct Round 2  

The way I see it is, Weidman is a harder hitter than Sonnen, Weidman has BJJ skills which Sonnen lacked, and they both are around the same level in wrestling talent. Also don't forget the fact that Weidman has never been taken down. Therefore I see a repeat of Silva vs. Sonnen 1 except Weidman has the power to finish. This is all assuming Weidman can take Silva down. If he can't.......Silva will totally outclass him and stop it early.

"It's a fist fight in a steel cage, there's nothing artistic about it." - Chael Sonnen

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,395  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

06.18.2013 | 12:12 PM ET

Weidman: 

Collegiate wrestling[edit]

Sonnen: 

Amateur wrestling

Awarded "Most Outstanding Wrestler" of 2000 tournament

(2000)[95]

In what world is that the same level when it comes to wrestling? 

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

Mybbygotsauz
Mybbygotsauz
  • Predictions:  1,612  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  745
  • Post Score: 131

06.18.2013 | 1:27 PM ET

Chaels credentials really are in a much higher regard than Weidman. And about the first fight between Silva sonnen Anderson  clearly wanted to be taken down. he couldnt even throw punches. or effective kicks.  He wasn't himself. And we all know why. And the second fight both guys completely healthy Silva literally defended every takedow. except one. ONE. and chapel shot on him at least 20 times. If silva is healthy Weidman will not be able to do what happened in the first sonnen fight. No one outside of Brock lesnar can repeat the chael fight when Silva is healthy.

* Edited at 06.18.2013, 1:29 PM ET *

"knocked out three midgets and ya pumped up"

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  32,095  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,973
  • Post Score: 195

06.18.2013 | 4:06 PM ET

Silva didn't defend the first takedown and was down for that entire round. Weidman doesn't have Sonnen's wrestling credentials, but he does have much more of a submission game. 

That being said I am going with a gut feeling on this one and wouldn't be a bit surprised if Silva handled him.

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

JustynOfOsiris
JustynOfOsiris
  • Predictions:  4,334  |  57.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,239
  • Post Score: 122

06.18.2013 | 4:07 PM ET

@mybbygotsauz you Silva fans with your excuses. Anderson didn't get taken down because he wanted to he got taken down because that's what Chael wanted. You can make all the excuses you want about him having broken ribs or whatever but the bottom line is Chael Sonnen went in there and dominated him thoroughly. Also are we all just going to pretend Anderson didn't try to blatantly cheat in the second fight? Even if you want to say the knee was legal he still held Sonnen's shorts more than any other fighter I have ever seen. Which I remind you is illegal. Anderson had to cheat to stop Chael's takedowns in the second fight.

"Is reality really realistic?"

jmcdowell
jmcdowell
  • Predictions:  1,448  |  63.7%
  • Forum Posts:  450
  • Post Score: 188

06.18.2013 | 4:16 PM ET

Now I get it. . . not a troll; just an idiot

"“I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious” - Lombardi"

Page 3

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• UFC.com : Nursulton Ruziboev Has Big Plans
  • MMA Junkie : Demetrious Johnson: Alexandre Pantoja didn't look like a better fighter than Steve Erceg at UFC 301
  • Middle Easy : Demetrious Johnson Rips Alexandre Pantoja’s Performance At UFC 301, Names Who Could Beat ‘The Cannibal’
  • Bad Left Hook : Naoya Inoue greatness, Canelo, Yoshiki Takei and more: Weekend recap
  • MMA Junkie : Bellator Champions Series: Archie Colgan wants return to finishing ways against Thibault Gouti in France
  • MMAFighting.com : New UFC 302 trailer sets up Islam Makhachev vs. Dustin Poirier lightweight clash
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Adrian Yanez Reflects On His Losses, Vows To Finish Or Dominate Vinicius Salvador In Their Upcoming Fight
  • MMA Mania : Brown Retires From UFC
  • MMA Junkie : Daniel Cormier questions why Jose Aldo ever retired after UFC 301 performance: 'His speed was still there'
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56: Make your predictions for Derrick Lewis vs. Rodrigo Nascimento
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch The MMA Hour live now
  • Middle Easy : Alexander Volkanovski Suggests 4th Fight With Max Holloway For BMF Title
  • UFC.com : Iron Summit: For The Lifelong Athletes
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Sean O'Malley shows clip of sparring footage with Alexandre Pantoja
  • MMA Mania : Fiery First Promo Drops For UFC 302
  • UFC.com : Cory Sandhagen Takes On Umar Nurmagomedov In Abu Dhabi On August 3
  • MMA Junkie : Spinning Back Clique REPLAY: Jose Aldo's future, Jon Jones calls for Alex Pereira, latest in boxing, more
  • MMAFighting.com : Rankings Shakeup: Is Jose Aldo once again a top-5 bantamweight after UFC 301?
  • MMA Junkie : Spinning Back Clique LIVE: Jose Aldo's future, Jon Jones calls for Alex Pereira, latest in boxing, more
  • MMA Junkie : 'Why not?': Benoit Saint Denis welcomes Dan Hooker next, calls Arman Tsarukyan dream fight at lightweight