Tapology Forums

Who Should Josh Koscheck's Next Opponent Be?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

12.03.2012 | 12:20 AM ET

Josh is presently nursing an injury.  When he returns, who should he be matched with?

I'd like to see a Top 5 list of his next opponent.  Don't be shy.

1. Sanchez rematch
2. BJ Penn
3. Condit
4. Diaz
5. MacDonald
6. Ellenberger
7. Kampmann
8. Maia

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

Responses

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

12.03.2012 | 12:38 AM ET

1. Fitch (wont happen, but yeah)

2. Diaz
3. Ellenberger
4. Kampmann
5. Marquardt

If Diego is smart he'll go back to lightweight, and BJ is done after dismantling Rory. Any of the others you have listed I could see happening.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 4 months, 3 weeks, 5 days, 18 hours, and 49 minutes from now.
CONDIT729
CONDIT729
  • Predictions:  4,116  |  57.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,500
  • Post Score: 165

12.03.2012 | 12:54 AM ET

1. Diaz
2. Ellenberger
3. maybe Condit

"I'm coming in your backyard and I'm gonna **** you up" -Carlos Condit

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

12.03.2012 | 1:03 AM ET

@Cthulhu  You know as well as I that Josh and Fitch have a pact to not fight.  Yeah, it's BS, but that's how they feel.

Why wouldn't you support Josh fighting BJ?  Sounds like a natural match to me.  Diego has already went to LW, and is fighting Gomi, so he's not available for now.

zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

12.03.2012 | 1:19 AM ET

Tyron Woodley or Demian Maia. Honestly, Koscheck needs to figure out where he really stands fighting wise now.
Fights within 2 calendar years:
06-07: 6
07-08: 6
08-09: 7
09-10: 5
10-11: 3
11-12: 3
He's at a career crossroads. He just turned 35. His fights per year are going down. He got off a career threatening long-term injury about 15 months ago. Koscheck's pulled out of a fight for a back injury, which are notorious for being a recurring problem. He's looked kinda bad in all of his last 4 fights. GSP caused his long-term injury. Hughes was lighting him up until Koscheck landed the KO blow. He was hesitant against both Pierce and Hendricks and appeared to have significantly diminished in his ability to eat a punch.

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

TraeBlack
TraeBlack
  • Predictions:  20,845  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  8,701
  • Post Score: 173

12.03.2012 | 1:24 AM ET

with all these fighters in the UFC, i dont see how fighters are going down in the amount of times they fight a year

"3HUNNA"

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

12.03.2012 | 7:01 AM ET

I'd be all for Kos fighting BJ if I believed BJ had any intention to continue fighting after his next fight, but I don't think he does. I think BJ views this as his revenge for grease gate. He gets to fight GSP's protege and if he crushes him I think that will make him happy enough to retire and go out on a huge win. If he loses I don't think he'll continue to take fights in order to go out on a win. This fight is personal to BJ I think.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 4 months, 3 weeks, 5 days, 18 hours, and 49 minutes from now.
AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,913  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

12.03.2012 | 9:48 AM ET

1. Nick Diaz 
2. Carlos Condit
3. Martin Kampmann
4. Jake Ellenberger
5. Dong Yung Kim
6. John Hathaway
lhogsett
lhogsett
  • Predictions:  1,432  |  55.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1
  • Post Score: 0

12.03.2012 | 10:04 AM ET

1. Kampmann

2. Ellenberger

3. MacDonald

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

12.07.2012 | 10:59 PM ET

In terms of career ascendancy, don't you think Kos is screwed?  Before their second fight, GSP announced that if he won, Kos would receive no more title shots as long as he held the belt.

And with that, Kos' title aspirations vanished up in smoke.  All he has now is fights with top contenders.  The UFC will use him as a gate-keeper for rising stars, which will put Kos in a no-win position.  He'll get no bounce if he wins because as the bigger name, he'll always be expected to win.  And if he loses, he will be discounted.

That's a terrible place to be in in one's career.  He can go no higher and has only one direction in which he can go.  His only hope is to fight top contenders like Condit, BJ, Diaz & MacDonald and try to get his ranking inched up a little higher.

Most people put Kos in their Top 5, but I don't.  I have him towards the back of my Top 10.

sreimuth
sreimuth
  • Predictions:  79,746  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  4,245
  • Post Score: 262

12.07.2012 | 11:06 PM ET

Kos vs. Diaz  at UFC 157 if Diaz doesn't get the title shot, or Penn if he wins tomorrow night. Last option would be Ellenberger.

"Under my tutelage, you will grow from boys to men. From men into gladiators. And from gladiators into Swansons.- Ron Swanson https://www.instagram.com/seanreimuth/ Follow me."

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

12.08.2012 | 1:38 AM ET

Kos should consider a move to middleweight.

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

12.08.2012 | 2:38 AM ET

I read once where he did consider a move to MW, but it didn't go anywhere.  He was also once considering a fight with Stephan Bonnar, over a dispute over something or other.  Maybe tee shirts.  I don't remember.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Desperately Wants to Get on Joe Rogan’s Podcast: ‘He is Scared of Me’
  • UFC.com : Meet Featherweight Zygimantas Ramaska | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • UFC.com : Meet Featherweight Roedie Roets | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Dustin Poirier, the Bud Light Genie and an alien walk into a bar ...
  • Middle Easy : Bryce Mitchell Implores Parents to Stop Vaccinating Their Kids, Convinced Public Schooling Will Turn His Son Gay
  • UFC.com : Meet Middleweight Shamidkhan Magomedov | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • UFC.com : Meet Middleweight Ryan Loder | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • Middle Easy : Belal Muhammad Calls WWE Supporters ‘Real True’ Fans, Dubs ‘90%’ of UFC Fans as ‘Drunks That Don’t Care About Anyone’
  • MMA Mania : ‘F—k It, We’ll Sue Them’
  • MMA Junkie : Robert Whittaker: If Khamzat Chimaev doesn't manage his pace, 'it's going to be an early night for him'
  • Middle Easy : Son of UFC Legend Anderson Silva Will Fight Alongside Him at the Spaten Fight Night Event on June 15
  • MMA Junkie : PFL's Donn Davis responds to Bellator fighter complaints about inactivity, unpaid medicals: 'We're direct, fair and reasonable'
  • MMA Mania : ‘He’s Doing A Great, Amazing Job!’ Topuria Praises Nice Guy O’Malley
  • MMAFighting.com : Paddy Pimblett sends warning to ‘sh*t human being’ Bobby Green ahead of UFC 304
  • MMA Junkie : Kamaru Usman makes 'crazy' pitch of Oleksandr Usyk vs. Francis Ngannou: He's 'the biggest puncher out there'
  • MMA Mania : Fourth McGregor Fight? Poirier Doesn’t ‘Need That Bad Energy In My Life’
  • MMAFighting.com : Khalil Rountree Jr. suspended 2 months for doping violation, could face additional penalty in Nevada
  • MMA Junkie : Ilia Topuria praises 'showman' Sean O'Malley: 'I like him, he's doing a great job'
  • MMA Junkie : Mateusz Gamrot trashes Charles Oliveira for considering Colby Covington's callout: 'Thought you were better than that'
  • MMA Mania : Pimblett: ‘Proper S—t Human Being’ Green’s ‘Chin Is Gone’