Tapology Forums

Thoughs: GSP/Shields Fight.

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

BodyModifier
BodyModifier
  • Predictions:  21  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,608
  • Post Score: 152

05.01.2011 | 10:07 PM ET

First of all I'd like to share my opinion. I know there are probably a dozen upon dozen other threads I could have posted in, but it'd get buried with the rest of the posts.
I'd like to state my own feelings first on the fight and say that it wasn't as lackluster as everyone may have judged it. Here we have a champion that most likely got a scratched cornea from Shields in an exchange during the second round. For him to still dominate those extra 3 rounds with blurred vision should be noted. You could see after the incident that Georges performance was not the same after the second. He was wincing and he was also not seeing many strikes coming from his left side. Which I can imagine would make him gun shy in case of getting himself in trouble. Shields could have went for a take down while he tried to pull the trigger. 
In my opinion he should have capitalized more with his take downs and tried to submit Jake while he was on top of him. I do understand that Shields could pull guard and put GSP in dangerous waters. Doesn't mean the champ is in an unknown spot. 
Here's a way to look at this fight. GSP had no vision in his left eye. It wasn't black but it was blurred. Doctors STOP fights because of fighters get blood in their eyes. Georges corner made him fight and carry on and he was still able to dominate a fighter that hasn't lost in what...7 years? 
Time to move up Mr.Pierre. Thanks for reading this novel if you did.

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Responses

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

05.01.2011 | 10:07 PM ET

How do I edit the title of my thread?

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

slapedurmomsace
slapedurmomsace
  • Predictions:  879  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  62
  • Post Score: 47

05.01.2011 | 10:11 PM ET

I wanna know exactly what happened to his eye before I start to compliment him "pushing through"..though his game plan of jab..hilariously wind mill over hand right with the sometimes spinning body kick wouldn't work againest someone that has some type of stand up. I don't want to see GSP vs Anderson, if Anderson doesn't knock him senseless it'll be Sonnen vs Anderson 2. I want GSP vs Diaz, plus GSP heart doesn't seem into 185lbs, and if it's not, he'll get beat by not only Anderson but any of the top 185lbers.

"Jackson the JRT..the original Rampage!!"

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

05.01.2011 | 10:17 PM ET

GSP is far too dominate in the division and experiments with his opponents. Like that spinning side kick to the liver. He learned that from Rogan and tried to perfect the technique while in the midst of a fight. Still couldn't correct it and was getting frustrated with his own performance.
Once he moves up a division. It'll force him to actually fight and not experiment. I can't see GSP faring well in the division but maybe that's what's needed. After the Diaz/GSP fight. If that does so happen. I won't be interested in his fights anymore until he moves up. 
This is me as a fan of St.Pierre. I'm just not a die hard fan. 
(I know he wants to finish fights but he's not challenged enough in the division. The only fighter that poses a threat to him is Diaz, and I think he'll just keep getting taken down.) I'd still love to see it though. I'd honestly be pulling for Diaz as well.
Anderson/GSP would be pointless. GSP can't take him down and his wrestling is over rated. He's only good at using it in the octagon to mix it with his striking and take down defense. 
Since they both like to goof around sometimes. (Anderson when he's trying to prove a point in the octagon, GSP with his experimenting inside the octagon). Maybe this would be good for the both of them to face each other.

slapedurmomsace
slapedurmomsace
  • Predictions:  879  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  62
  • Post Score: 47

05.01.2011 | 10:36 PM ET

Do you have any source that says he was perfecting his kick in the octagon? I've just never seen anything about it, and would like to see it, that's all.

Also, Diaz has the BJJ skills to sub GSP at any point. His stand up is 100x better than Shields, and Diaz's heart is out of this world. I don't think GSP is bored or goofing around to be honest. I don't think he'll ever forget what happened last time he took a fight lightly and got brutally TKO'd. Anderson definately does mess around in his fights, but he hasn't been on the other end looking up with blurred vision while in the octagon, and again, I definately see your point, and he's definately cleaned that division right out, but he just doesn't seem to want 185lbs. Even last night during his interview when Rogan asked he said maybe something can be worked out..I got the impression he's going to want a catch weight fight and go back to 170lbs afterward if it happens at all.

"Jackson the JRT..the original Rampage!!"

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

05.01.2011 | 10:53 PM ET

You can tell he was trying that kick over and over again. He was also testing his stand up while fighting Shields who was doing well but his right side was open for that looping right hand. GSP shouldn't have kept doing that. If Shields was a better striker he would have countered that and made him pay for it.
I think Diaz would look for submissions. I agree with that but I think George would be aware of most of them. He has a good base and can defend anything while controlling the fight. I'd say he'd win by decision. I think GSP is far too comfortable in his division. He's afraid of change like the majority of the world is afraid of change. He's use to winning and use to being perfect. He wants to perfect his technique and be considered the p4p best.
I honestly think GSP was experimenting his stand up if he was trying that kick over and over again. He doesn't have the striking that Anderson Silva has/Machida etc. He doesn't have strikes that just come as a force of habit. He tries to use what he learns in the octagon from training. Which is fine but when he faces AS he's going to get destroyed if he can't take the heavier AS down.
I think he should fight a mediocre fighter at 185 and see how well he does. Just my two cents. 
I can also see Diaz submitting GSP though. Like you've said. If Matt Hughes can submit GSP. Diaz can.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 92 preview show: Can Edson Barboza play spoiler once again?
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 92: 21 Tidbits, Facts And Storylines
  • MMA Junkie : Tom Aspinall vs. Curtis Blaydes 2: Odds and what to know ahead of UFC 304 co-main event
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 303 nearing completion with new bout for McGregor vs. Chandler fight card
  • MMA Junkie : Joe Rogan thinks MMA rules favor strikers over grapplers: 'I don't think you should stand people up, ever'
  • MMA Junkie : Bellator Champions Series results: Patchy Mix squeaks by Magomed Magomedov to retain title
  • UFC.com : Adrian Yanez Is Searching For More
  • MMAFighting.com : Patchy Mix ekes past Magomed Magomedov in Bellator Paris title rematch, wins split decision
  • MMA Mania : Knockout! Doumbe Stops Willis In One-Round WAR!
  • Middle Easy : Patchy Mix Defeats Magomed Magomedov Via Split Decision, Retains Bantamweight Title – Bellator: Paris Results (Highlights)
  • MMA Junkie : Tyson Fury vs. Oleksandr Usyk undisputed title fight is 'something very, very significant'
  • MMA Mania : UFC Fighters Fail To Crack Forbes ‘Highest-Paid’ List
  • MMA Junkie : Bellator Champions Series results: Cedric Doumbe makes quick work of Jaleel Willis to set up Anthony Pettis showdown
  • MMAFighting.com : Bellator Paris video: Cedric Doumbe demolishes Jaleel Willis in first round, faces off with Anthony Pettis
  • Middle Easy : Cédric Doumbé Returns to Win Column, Smashes Jaleel Willis in Opening Round – Bellator: Paris Results (Highlights)
  • MMAFighting.com : Bellator Paris live blog: Patchy Mix vs. Magomed Magomedov 2
  • MMA Junkie : Bellator Champions Series video: Costello van Steenis puts Gregory Babene to sleep with Von Flue choke
  • MMA Junkie : Bellator video: Costello van Steenis puts Gregory Babene to sleep with Von Flue choke
  • UFC.com : This Fight Is About Redemption For Tom Nolan
  • MMAFighting.com : Gabi Garcia’s MMA return off in wake of Brazil floods