Tapology Forums

Gilbert Melendez/ Jose Aldo

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

ufcchick2011
ufcchick2011
  • Predictions:  17,099  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,674
  • Post Score: 177

05.01.2011 | 9:53 PM ET

Where does everyone see Gilbert Melendez in the UFC lightweight run?? I'm just curious. He definitely talks alot on strikeforce.  And also, what about a healthy Jose Aldo moving up to light weight. Could he win both belts?

Does Kenny Florian even have a chance against Aldo? Opinions please :) 

"The only way to guarantee failure is by giving up" Frank Mir

Responses Page 3

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967

05.02.2011 | 1:03 AM ET

Melendez is definitely a contender. I like the fact that he went for the kill against Kawajiri, despite myself being a Kawajiri fan. I wanna see him fight at least once in the UFC though till im sold on him being the next champion. My only concern when it comes to any fighter entering the UFC is that they will just attempt to secure the win first and foremost. 

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

jersey0525
jersey0525
  • Predictions:  2,766  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,536
  • Post Score: 188

05.02.2011 | 1:41 AM ET

kawajiri to 145? @kallousklown

"im an OT (ORIGINAL TAPOLOGIST), I used to write for cagepages.com. NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT LEFT HAND SHOT"

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

05.02.2011 | 10:58 AM ET

About Aldo, he was sick.. I posted a thread on it.. someone who spoke the language translated some convo that took place in Aldo's corner.  i agree with @Gregory.  I don't see him losing at 145.  There are many fights left for him at LW, so I don't see him moving up anytime soon (maybe after a year or two).  I would like to see more of his ground game. 

@UFCchick It is cool you have been able to get around the scene a lot.  I'm hoping to attend the event in Philly or the next one in PITT this year... we'll see how that goes.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

jersey0525
jersey0525
  • Predictions:  2,766  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,536
  • Post Score: 188

05.02.2011 | 11:43 AM ET

i seriously cannot see why people dont LOVE the diaz brothers...especially nick...everyone that *****ed about gsp not finishing fight should have posters of diaz around the house, in ur car, on ur phone....etc. how many fighters would A. willingly standup with paul daley and B. KNOCK HIM DA **** OUT!!!

i can understand the out of the cage hate, but when he steps in to fight, he's everything fans WISH gsp was...in a time when EVERYBODY plays the "late takedown, win the round, win via decision" game (*cough* Jackson mma *cough*) diaz gets in their faces and BEGS to be hit! come on! thats awesome! i don't give a **** that he's dumb, or smokes weed, or can't carry an intelligent conversation, or talks a **** ton of smack...cuz im not trying to be the guys friend/homie... the only reason i know his name his because he's a fighter, and thats where my viewpoint of caring begins and ends..

if im missing something, diaz haters fill me in please.. (mayhem miller, where u at! lol)

"im an OT (ORIGINAL TAPOLOGIST), I used to write for cagepages.com. NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT LEFT HAND SHOT"

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,576
  • Post Score: 275

05.02.2011 | 11:49 AM ET

@jersey your support for the Diaz brothers is clear!   was there something in this thread that set you off about it?

For me, just because I'm skeptical of how well Nick would do in the UFC doesn't mean I'm a Diaz hater. I just think his style has been on great display in Strikeforce against lesser competition. In the UFC I think Nick would perform similarly to Nate: win a lot of fights, but fall short against the best.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Heroak
Heroak
  • Predictions:  2,369  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,182
  • Post Score: 154

05.02.2011 | 11:49 AM ET

melendez should come over and fight miller for a contender fight for the winner of the edgar/maynard winner vs the guida/pettis winner.
i still think miller can beat anyone in the world at 155, especially melendez who hasnt been fighting the toughest competition and who i think is slightly overrated. 

"Tell her I'm rich, and I'm good looking, and I have, uh, a ******'s wit."

BodyModifier
BodyModifier
  • Predictions:  21  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,608
  • Post Score: 152

05.02.2011 | 11:53 AM ET

It's apples and oranges. GSP fights very logical and is a perfectionist at heart. Another example of this is Machida. They are martial artists that define the true essence of martial arts. I'm not saying Diaz doesn't possess this kind of essence but he sure doesn't portray it. He does fight against his opponents strengths but it could cost him in a fight. For example if he fought GSP. 
There's no way Diaz will want to take it to the ground with George and feel super comfortable down there. He causes a threat but it will be easier for Diaz to win against him on the feet.
I admire Diaz as a fighter and don't care about his personality. He probably just puts on a show and is completely a nice guy when he's off the camera. You can bash Greg Jackson but he's came up with really perfected game plans and has won a lot of KOTN,SOTN, etc etc.
Stylistically Diaz could beat GSP but he won't fare well against the rest of the division full of hungry WW's. I'd put money down that Diaz would lose because he's not as great of a wizard on the ground as BJ. I'd say BJ has an edge on the ground jits wise compared to Diaz and Nick doesn't have a crap load of power. He jabs also. 
I actually would be rooting for Diaz in this fight none the less.

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Heroak
Heroak
  • Predictions:  2,369  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,182
  • Post Score: 154

05.02.2011 | 11:57 AM ET

I actually like Nick a lot. He isnt all pc like the majority of the top fighters and he isnt afraid to say whats on his mind. Even if it makes no sense at all. He always comes to fight and isnt afraid to stand in front of someone and trade punches. Ive also been told by a lot of people that he is a very down to earth person. you can judge people based on what you see on tv because Nick Diaz knows he is a brand and he needs to sell himself, whether hes hated or loved he knows he needs to make money. 

"Tell her I'm rich, and I'm good looking, and I have, uh, a ******'s wit."

themysticalninja
themysticalninja
  • Predictions:  1,219  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,725
  • Post Score: 123

05.02.2011 | 1:31 PM ET

If a weight drained Aldo can still be threatning, then a healthy Aldo is a nightmare for anyone. At Lightweight I could see him dominating the diversion.

Taking out the "anything can happen in MMA" sum, I couldn't see KenFlo beating Aldo.

"Go get some Donald CER-ROE-NAY!" - Greg Jackson

ufcchick2011
ufcchick2011

05.02.2011 | 5:16 PM ET

@kalibo, I've already decided that the next ufc expo or SILVA VS GSP, I'm GOING! No if's or butts! I just have to find someone that is willing to go with me that would want to dish out that kind of money to watch mma lol.

If you go to the Philly fight you'll get to see Jose, franklin, sexyama, Belfort and little Nog. Decent Card none the less!

ufcchick2011
ufcchick2011

05.02.2011 | 5:18 PM ET

@bodymodifier, I can chat about almost anything as long as it involves sports, well except for Hockey, that is not a southern sport I'm sorry lol

ufcchick2011
ufcchick2011

05.02.2011 | 5:24 PM ET

@jersey You do have a good point about not trying to be his Friend! lol But from my perspective, Daley looked like Brock Lesnar at the end of both of their knock outs (against Velasquez). GASSED OUT! After watching Daley's last few fights, I'm not impressed, but I'm not into ****iness such as diaz when hes taunting to get hit,  just makes me  want to see him get finished! lol I seriously don't know what is going on with GSP either, he is this elite and superior athlete that can't finish fights, I'm just not getting this picture :(...and for the Jackson Camp, Can't hate win their all VICTORIOUS LOL..Safe fighters, yes, but not all including I.E. Champion Jon Jones and Melvin Guillard :D

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

05.02.2011 | 5:56 PM ET

I believe GSP just fights very strategic. I honestly in my own opinion believe GSP would have finished Shields if he had not lost vision in his eye. There was actually a poke to his eye and there is a source.
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/323054/Video-replay-shows-Shields-eye-poke-vs-GSP/
It's all speculation if he could have finished off Diaz. I do think he's fairly good at each discipline but hasn't mastered in a certain area.  He does have the capability to finish his opponents though. He just fights very smart. It's Shields fault for not trying for more take downs and bringing the fight to the champion, but GSP could have made more risks.
Melvin has always impressed me. His liver shot to Gabe Ruediger was when I first seen him perform.  

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

05.02.2011 | 5:59 PM ET

Check out my thread  Thoughts: GSP/Shields fight   UFC Chick. 

minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

05.02.2011 | 6:03 PM ET

Wow, some of you guys are heavily over rating Melendez. He's not that great.

"We Are All One"

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

05.02.2011 | 6:06 PM ET

I agree with your post to a certain extent. I believe he'll get very over hyped and if he steps into the UFC he will lose. I do however think he's a good fighter just not as Godly as people are giving him credit for.

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,576
  • Post Score: 275

05.02.2011 | 6:14 PM ET

@minotauro I dunno buddy, I think Gil is pretty good!

"I live, I die, I live again."

minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

05.02.2011 | 6:14 PM ET

Finally, someone is making some since. Dude has a perfect style for Aoki, and he just defends a buttscoot for 5 rounds, and suddenly everyone thinks he'd beat Edgar. I don't consider him top 5. 

"We Are All One"

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

05.02.2011 | 6:19 PM ET

Again I agree. He'd get pretty overwhelmed by Frankie for sure. Frankie would out strike/box him and Gil would be pretty frustrated after awhile. Minotauro you are the only one that actually makes sense with this. I'd love to see Jose knock him down a few notches just so the gullible people in the MMA community will realize where he really belongs on the ladder.
I am not discrediting him by any means but he hasn't faced top competition yet to be able to really say where he belongs in the division.

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

05.02.2011 | 6:22 PM ET

He's beat a couple of top contenders but that's all I've seen of him. His other fighters he's beat on his resume are from Japan.

Page 3

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 58 play-by-play and live results (7:30 p.m. ET)
  • Jits Magazine : Polaris 28 Live Results, Play-by-play, Analysis, Highlights, More
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 93 full results, live streaming updates: Perez vs. Taira
  • Jits Magazine : Majestic BJJ Challenge Announce First Ever Dedicated Kids Event For 2024
  • MMA Mania : Gervonta Davis vs Frank Martin, live streaming play-by-play updates
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 93 Results: Perez vs. Taira
  • Jits Magazine : Max Gimenis And Adam Bradley Join Craig Jones Invitational
  • Bad Left Hook : Tank Davis vs Frank Martin: Live updates and results, 8 pm ET
  • Jits Magazine : Three Former Champions Invited To ADCC 2024
  • Bad Left Hook : Matias vs Paro: Live updates and results, 7:30 pm ET
  • Bad Left Hook : Billam-Smith vs Riakporhe 2: Live updates and results, 1:30 pm ET
  • MMAFighting.com : Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen: Live round-by-round updates
  • MMAFighting.com : Silva vs. Sonnen Results: Live updates of the main event and undercard
  • MMAFighting.com : Tank vs. Martin Results: Live updates of the undercard and main event
  • MMAFighting.com : Gervonta Davis vs. Frank Martin: Live round-by-round updates
  • MMAFighting.com : David Benavidez vs. Oleksandr Gvozdyk: Live round-by-round updates
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Watch Pereira Agree To Save UFC 303 At The Last Second
  • MMA Junkie : Jamahal Hill reveals list of injuries behind UFC 303 withdrawal, vows to 'be back soon'
  • MMA Junkie : Belal Muhammad: Skill-for-skill Dricus Du Plessis sucks, would be 'my easiest path to double-champ status'
  • MMA Mania : ‘It’s The Business, Man’