Tapology Forums

NHL Player making a go of it in MMA

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Master Blaster
Master Blaster
  • Predictions:  356  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  241
  • Post Score: 30

04.23.2011 | 7:33 PM ET

I just thought this was amusing.  At 39 he won't have much of a chance to do a lot in the sport.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/320743/Former-NHL-goon-Don-Brashear-signs-MMA-contract/

Former NHL enforcer Donald Brashear has officially signed with Quebec’s biggest MMA promotion Ringside MMA. Brashear has a long history of fighting, both within and well without the rules, perhaps most notably over a decade ago, when he was slashed across the temple with a hockey stick by Marty McSorley, after beating McSorley in a fight earlier in the game. McSorley was charged with assault with a weapon; the incident was the end of his NHL career.

Brashear ended up being ranked the 15th all-time leader in NHL penalty minutes. He scored 85 goals and recorded 125 assists for 205 points, but his career minus-93 rating is the worst among the top 15 penalty-minute leaders.

"Break a deal, spin the wheel"

Responses

trevpicks
trevpicks
  • Predictions:  86,407  |  56.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,853
  • Post Score: 222

04.23.2011 | 7:42 PM ET

A few months ago he rolled with GSP find it on youtube, If i remember correctly his cardio was shot after 1 minute i thought he was gonna die. He out weighs GSP by like 100 pounds but couldnt do anything.
WinningOne
WinningOne
  • Predictions:  256  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  242
  • Post Score: 58

04.23.2011 | 8:29 PM ET

Coming from a fellow hockey player... Brashear is screwed. People dont get hurt to often in hockey fight. Only thing I could see helping him would be balance and cardio. But he's been retired for a few years I think so...

"“I will knock your hair black” – Ken Shamrock to Ortiz"

CashBrewyn
CashBrewyn
  • Predictions:  21,584  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,045
  • Post Score: 212

04.23.2011 | 8:36 PM ET

ya he's been out of the game for a couple years now...being in Montreal i'm sure he'll match him up with someone with similar skills/age

"My hearts pumpin' the blood of Royce Gracie My thoughts dumpin' the slug and point straightly"

slapedurmomsace
slapedurmomsace
  • Predictions:  879  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  62
  • Post Score: 47

04.23.2011 | 11:31 PM ET

Don't know anything about him..but from the discription he just sounds like an ******* who's got nothing better to do. Please correct me if I'm wrong..but on the other side of this coin..people need to realize the MMA take a lifetime to get good at..not just a year of some kind of training and walking in.

"Jackson the JRT..the original Rampage!!"

Blackwork
Blackwork
  • Predictions:  4,678  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  900
  • Post Score: 162

04.24.2011 | 8:02 AM ET

It's a gimmick, but it could draw some crossover fans from hockey to MMA. If it's handled correctly, it could be a good thing. I'm not too familiar with that promotion, though, so I don't know how much of a circus this would be, asuming Brashear can get licensed. I do see they have a Cote-Starnes fight coming up.

"http://www.tapology.com/profiles/blackwork/my-rankings?ranking_type=member"

RedDeadPenn
RedDeadPenn
  • Predictions:  210  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  88
  • Post Score: 88

04.24.2011 | 4:10 PM ET

This is the guy that Marty McSorley hit in the head with his stick because he refused to fight him. I knew that name sounded way familiar.

"No cheese at all?!? I love pizza and pizza have cheese!"- Rampage Jackson

Heroak
Heroak
  • Predictions:  2,369  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,182
  • Post Score: 154

04.24.2011 | 4:17 PM ET

yeah i remember how pissed off everyone was at mcsorley. that was back when i used to watch hockey 24/7. 

"Tell her I'm rich, and I'm good looking, and I have, uh, a ******'s wit."

outlawmusic
outlawmusic
  • Predictions:  2,101  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  269
  • Post Score: 88

04.25.2011 | 1:18 AM ET

Is he traing with Sanford and Son?

"I don't go running, I train to fight not to run" - Don ******* Frye

crxassasin420
crxassasin420
  • Predictions:  57  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5
  • Post Score: 100

04.25.2011 | 8:47 AM ET

well i assume he will be a able to take a  punch, but these guys who are retired from other sports are generally too old ......
Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

04.25.2011 | 9:19 AM ET

I don't understand why anyone would want to retire from any professional sport and try MMA after a long career.  Walker is a one in a million.  After over a decade of your body being abused from everything it takes to perform at a professional level in any sport... how tough it has to be to retire from that and try MMA. 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

04.25.2011 | 1:25 PM ET

@Kalibo I wouldn't say Walker is one in a million...that guy has actually trained in a Martial Art his entire life so he does have some skill to go with the fact he's an incredible athlete...I'm not sure if Brashear has done anything other then a ton of hockey fights

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

TownStar
TownStar
  • Predictions:  944  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  329
  • Post Score: 62

04.25.2011 | 1:53 PM ET

hockey players are tough and usually huge. light heavey?

"fresh outta Oakland..."

Heroak
Heroak
  • Predictions:  2,369  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,182
  • Post Score: 154

04.25.2011 | 1:58 PM ET

he's a big guy that has probably never had to cut weight in his life. He's 36 and since he's never cut I think he's going to have a hard time doing it. Hell probably fight at whatever he walks around at, unless he weighs 215 or something close to lhw.

"Tell her I'm rich, and I'm good looking, and I have, uh, a ******'s wit."

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

04.25.2011 | 2:35 PM ET

His wikipedia page has him listed as 6'3" 240 LBS and 39 years old

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

04.25.2011 | 3:22 PM ET

@SoccerKick I meant coming from a long career in another professional sport, retiring from that sport to try to take up MMA as far as a physical stress.  Imo, Walker is one in a million as far as that goes.  We should try to look up how many former athletes (retired ones due to age/career ended at length) have tried and failed/succeeded.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

04.25.2011 | 7:35 PM ET

Back in the 70's their was a guy who play with the broad street bullies, (the Philadelphia Flyers) named Dave Schultz. He was the baddest man on the ice. If that guy was in his late 20's he can do some damage if it was a stand and bang matchup. I don't mind hockey players trying MMA. Just WWE people coming over. I'm glad they got rid of the Batista match. He would have been a clone of Bobby Lashley and gassed out after one round.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : Golden Boy undercard for June 27 show headlined by Fulghum vs Ellis
  • Middle Easy : Dricus Du Plessis ‘Ready’ To Face Israel Adesanya, ‘Would Love’ To Fight Khamzat Chimaev If He Beats Robert Whittaker
  • MMA Junkie : Dricus Du Plessis: Robert Whittaker beating Khamzat Chimaev at UFC on ABC 6 doesn't warrant title shot
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I want to be the Serena Williams of boxing’: Shields on future goals, July return
  • MMA Junkie : Israel Adesanya 'coming for heads,' not UFC championship belts
  • MMAFighting.com : Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler fight ‘very much in limbo’ for UFC 303
  • MMA Mania : Report: Connie Comeback ‘Very Much In Limbo’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 4 official weigh-ins results: One heavyweight misses the limit
  • MMA Mania : Dariush Doesn’t Want To Pay Tax On Hooker
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch The MMA Hour live now
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I feel like my time’s coming’: Opetaia looks forward to facing Usyk in future
  • MMA Junkie : Dricus Du Plessis points to Alexander Volkanovski as example of why he turned down UFC 300 offer
  • MMAFighting.com : Israel Adesanya teases fight camp underway for UFC return: ‘I dont need any more belts, I’m coming for heads’
  • Middle Easy : Jon Jones Fires Back At Dominick Reyes For Claiming He Beat ‘Bones’: ‘You Didn’t Do Enough’
  • MMA Mania : Du Plessis Will Gladly Fight Khamzat Instead Of Izzy
  • Middle Easy : Darrick Minner Breaks Silence On UFC Betting Scandal, Status Of ‘Pending Investigation’
  • MMAFighting.com : The MMA Hour with Anderson Silva, Chael Sonnen, Raul Rosas Jr., Chris Billam-Smith and Richard Riakporhe face-to-face, plus more at 1 p.m. ET
  • Jits Magazine : Mica Galvao And Diogo Reis Re-Commit To ADCC 2024 Instead Of Craig Jones Invitational
  • MMA Junkie : UFC rematches Marcin Tybura vs. Serghei Spivac for August event
  • Middle Easy : Ronda Rousey Admits She Failed To Follow Her Game Plan For Holly Holm: ‘I Literally Just Got Hit Right Away’