Tapology Forums

UFC needs injury fail safe

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

arcon
arcon
  • Predictions:  553  |  55.2%
  • Forum Posts:  84
  • Post Score: 142

09.14.2012 | 4:16 PM ET

With all the canceled fights lately I think the UFC should put together a fail safe plan for main / co-main events. It would not be hard to do. I would just suggest whenever they sign a main or co-main event fight they sign a third person as a stand by guy so that if one of the 2 fighters in the fight get hurt and call out, the stand by guy takes his place. This way all fighters involved agree to the back up fight if its needed ahead of time, the back up guy can still get a camp in so he will put on a better show. I would offer the stand by guy 25% of his contract to be on stand by and cover the cost of his camp for the fight that might not happen, if he gets called up to fight I would give him his full contract rate +the 25% from stand by as an extra incentive to get guys to take stand by fights. That would have to be less costly for the UFC than canceling events even if it is only a rare thing. 

With a system like this the only way the UFC would have a problem is if 2 of the 3 fighters had to call out, but when that happens the UFC could still try and do what they do now for fight changes. The chance of 2 fighters getting hurt and then not finding anyone willing to fight the guy that isn't hurt would be slim to none.

This way would be simple, cheap (compared to canceled events), and less stressful on fighters. Not to mention makes for better fights if a fight is changed, due to both fighters having a chance to prepare for the backup fight. How does the UFC not have a system like this in place?

* Edited at 09.14.2012, 4:21 PM ET *

Responses

SRAOnline
SRAOnline
  • Predictions:  9,854  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,719
  • Post Score: 313

09.14.2012 | 4:43 PM ET

That'd require asking fighters to prepare for multiple opponents at a time with only a chance of fighting one of them. Its largely impractical and it'd affect training schedules.

"Pretend to be someone you're not once, and you're a liar. Do it every day, and you're a professional."

arcon
arcon
  • Predictions:  553  |  55.2%
  • Forum Posts:  84
  • Post Score: 142

09.14.2012 | 7:02 PM ET

Wouldn't it be better for a fighter to know up front who the secondary guy would be instead of 3 weeks before the fight you say hey you are now fighting this guy? Sign the fights a couple of weeks earlier than they do now so all fighters involved have a bit more time to deal with the added load. If you gave them 2 extra weeks they can use those 2 weeks to build a game plan for the backup guy then start working on the main fighter as you normally would trying to add a bit here and a bit there of stuff that would be good for both fights. Then if you get the call to fight the other guy you instantly switch plans instead of stopping and making a new one.

Bottom line is yes its a bit more load on the fighter and the camp, but if managed properly shouldn't impact training that much until its time to switch to the back up plan.

Look at Jon Jones because of 151, you think that the stress of all the flack flying his way isnt hindering his camp more than it would have to set a backup plan months ago and tweek his main plan a bit as they were making it?
Blast HardCheese
Blast HardCheese
  • Predictions:  159  |  67.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3
  • Post Score: 167

09.14.2012 | 7:02 PM ET

That is good in theory, but probably wouldn't work smoothly in actuality. The injuries are annoying me to, but I still don't think they are bad enough that they have ruined too many cards, and would require that approach. Even if they did use that, the replacement will still be disappointing, like they are now

"“I don’t train, I meditate”- Olaf Alfonso"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : UFC Fight Pass Invitational 7 Full Results And Review
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Watch ‘Demolidor’ Rescue Dogs From Brazilian Flood
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 92: Best betting props, parlays and picks
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 92: Best Betting Props, Parlays And Picks
  • MMA Junkie : 'Reborn' Ramiz Brahimaj returns to UFC with new perspective after 'nasty' injury jeopardized career
  • MMA Mania : ‘Two Or Three Times Bigger!’ Saudi Arabia Has Big Plans For Second UFC Event
  • MMA Junkie : UFC matchmaker Mick Maynard offers insight on scouting regional talent
  • MMAFighting.com : No Bets Barred: Breaking down Tyson Fury vs. Oleksandr Usyk, UFC Vegas 92, and Bellator Paris
  • Middle Easy : Joe Rogan Believes MMA’s Current Rule Set Favors Strikers: ‘I Don’t Think People Should Stand You Up, Ever’
  • MMA Junkie : Carlston Harris hopes UFC Fight Night 241 win leads to 'good names' like Neil Magny, Geoff Neal
  • MMA Mania : Video: Gorimbo Breaks Down After Coach’s Mother Dies On Media Day
  • MMA Junkie : UFC Fight Night 241's Vinicius Salvador guarantees first-round KO of Adrian Yanez: 'Write it down'
  • MMAFighting.com : Tyson Fury vs. Oleksandr Usyk full fight card
  • Middle Easy : Tim Welch Rates Mike Tyson’s Chances vs. Jake Paul: ‘Early On, He’s Gonna Be Scary’
  • MMA Mania : Barboza The BMF? ‘Who Has Better Highlight KOs Than Me?’
  • MMAFighting.com : Ring announcer Dan Hennessy retiring after viral screw up: ‘No longer the world’s punching bag’
  • MMA Junkie : 'Only Mancunian' Lerone Murphy appreciates full circle moment, crosses fingers for UFC 304
  • MMAFighting.com : Cédric Doumbé: Anthony Pettis fight ‘99 percent’ a done deal
  • UFC.com : Meet Middleweight Mark Hulme | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • MMA Junkie : UFC veteran Edson Barboza calls for BMF title fight vs. Max Holloway: 'I think I deserve that'