Tapology Forums

GOAT discussion, Silva vs Fedor

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

HunterB
HunterB
  • Predictions:  54  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5
  • Post Score: 80

07.21.2012 | 3:23 PM ET

I came across the article a few days ago.  There has been tons of opinions on the original place it was posted.  I was wanting to post it here to also get the opinions of another part of the MMA community, as I think it has some great points.  Its a short but good read.  Tell me what you all think of Silva vs Fedor, as the greatest of all time. Enjoy.

http://lowkick.blitzcorner.com/UFC/15-0-anderson-silva-vs-fedor-emelianenko-16482

Responses Page 2

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

07.21.2012 | 6:43 PM ET

Anderson Silva's the greatest of all-time. Why are we discussing this?

"الله أكبرl"

LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

07.21.2012 | 6:47 PM ET

In my opinion the cage is a big part of MMA and from what I saw, Fedor struggled when he crossed over to Strikeforce and began fighting in one.  Even Brett Rogers was able to pin him against it and dominate him for the first round of their fight.

Overlooking that fact though, I still see no reason to have Fedor ahead of Anderson as the GOAT.  Some people will continue to claim Anderson dominates a weak division, but I believe he just makes it look weak because he's just that good.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,574
  • Post Score: 275

07.21.2012 | 6:59 PM ET

@lynx even if 185 isn't as stacked, it's still modern UFC vs a totally different era in Pride.  it's like different sports.

"I live, I die, I live again."

geezhound
geezhound
  • Predictions:  6,745  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,297
  • Post Score: 193

07.21.2012 | 7:49 PM ET

No doubt Fedor is the HW GOAT, again there's nothing to discuss there.

But as far as all-time, P4P GOAT, Andy is miles ahead of Fedor.

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

RockZ
RockZ
  • Predictions:  242  |  65.7%
  • Forum Posts:  457
  • Post Score: 137

07.21.2012 | 10:36 PM ET

Their streaks are both incomparable in their weight classes, obviously. Andy's will not be surpassed for years imo, and not just because one can't fight that many fighters in a few years; I really think no one will amass such a UFC streak (15-0+) for a long while. Jones, Barao, GSP, Aldo, and even JDS all have monster streaks and most could all win their next several fights imo, but Andy's is incredible, and he's 37. I may be dead the next time a 37-year-old is the p4p king. Plus, he fought at 3 weights.

Fedor is the HW GOAT certainly, and for being smaller/shorter than many of his opponents plus not getting finished through the streak plus finishing opponents, his legacy will stand for a while in HW MMA, but to compare him to Andy is not an equal comparison. 

"Sure the fight was fixed. I fixed it with a right hand. - George Foreman"

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul Postponed Following Boxing Legend’s Health Condition
  • MMA Junkie : From Las Vegas brawl to UFC 302: How Ailin Perez vs. Joselyne Edwards grew into a heated grudge match
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302: Islam Makhachev vs. Dustin Poirier live stream watch party
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Wilder Vs. Zhang Results, Streaming Updates
  • Middle Easy : Video: Kayla Harrison Slams Alex Pereira Hard To The Mat With Powerful Judo Throw
  • MMAFighting.com : Paulo Costa believes impressive UFC 302 performance can vault him to title shot
  • MMA Mania : ‘Mom Doesn’t Want Me To KO You’
  • MMA Mania : UFC 302 Start Time, Full Fight Details!
  • Middle Easy : ‘Proud Dad’ Conor McGregor Shares Video Of Son Conor Jr. Earning First BJJ Stripe In Ireland
  • MMA Junkie : Kevin Holland vs. Michal Oleksiejczuk prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC 302
  • MMAFighting.com : Matt Brown explains what Dustin Poirier needs to do to beat Islam Makhachev at UFC 302
  • MMA Junkie : Javier Mendez confident Dustin Poirier's guillotine won't work on Islam Makhachev at UFC 302
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 start time, fight card, TV schedule for Islam Makhachev vs. Dustin Poirier, Sean Strickland vs. Paulo Costa
  • MMA Mania : Zhang Vs. Wilder Start Time, Fight Card Details
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 302 predictions: Five blowout picks in Newark, but are upsets looming?
  • UFC.com : Main Card Results | UFC 302: Makhachev vs Poirier
  • UFC.com : Official Scorecards | UFC 302: Makhachev vs Poirier
  • UFC.com : Prelim Results | UFC 302: Makhachev vs Poirier
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 predictions
  • MMA Mania : Lightweight’s Greatest Brawler Takes A Final Swipe At UFC Gold