Topic: Maldonado vs. Kingsbury

Maldonado vs. Kingsbury Predictions

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,880  |  73.9%
  • Forum Posts:  17,701
  • Post Score: 60

03.28.2011 | 8:13 PM ET

Prediction: correct Kingsbury   correct Decision  

This is the official prediction commentary thread for Maldonado vs. Kingsbury. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 2

minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

06.05.2011 | 11:09 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Maldonado   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Fight Metric (correctly) scored the fight for Maldonado. Overall it was close, but Maldonado was much more effective everywhere.
What is very impressive about this performance for Fabio is that he was battling a virus earlier this week. I think that may have played into his lack of aggression in the third round when he had Kingsbury hurt. I think he has a bright future, his grappling was slick as hell, as was his boxing, of course. 

"We Are All One"

minotauro11
minotauro11

06.05.2011 | 11:10 AM ET

"We Are All One"

giosanti
giosanti
  • Predictions:  1,464  |  66.1%
  • Forum Posts:  340
  • Post Score: 131

06.05.2011 | 11:34 AM ET

Prediction: correct Kingsbury   correct Decision  

The Fightmetric report shows that you could still score Kingsbury the 29-28 decision depending on which fight aspects you value more. Kingsbury outstruck Maldonado by a small margin in total strikes in rounds 1 and 2, but by a bigger margin in significant strikes in those rounds. However, he had to fight off a guillotine attempt in each round. Also in those rounds, Kingsbury passed to half-guard once in each round, and Maldonado swept Kingsbury in round 2. Kingsbury's striking advantage was greater in round 1 than it was in round 2. Overall to score those rounds, it's striking versus guillotine attempts. What's more valuable? Fightmetric gives rd1 to Maldonado and rd2 to Kingsbury, since the rd1 striking disparity wasn't as great as in rd2. Also, Kingsbury took Maldonado down twice in each round. In round 3, Maldonado got more takedowns than Kingsbury (2-1 to Maldonado in takedowns). What makes the round Maldonado's though, is that he simply outstruck Kingsbury. I don't think the margin is so high that it should be 10-8 Maldonado. Over the course of the whole fight, Kingsbury landed slightly fewer strikes than Maldonado due to getting beat up in round 3. However, he landed more significant strikes.

Basically, it was an even fight. Maldonado clearly took round 3, which you could maybe score 10-8, though I definitely wouldn't. The other two rounds ask the question: "What is more valuable; a slight striking edge, or a guillotine attempt?" I value submission attempts more when there isn't much damage in rounds, but that's not the case here. This fight was basically a striking match. However, the striking edge was only small in round 1. Still, I score it 29-28 Kingsbury, because I still give him the first two rounds. It's one of those fights that shows the flaws in the 10-point must system, in that Maldonado won round 3 more than Kingsbury won rounds 1 or 2. Another thing worth mentioning is that Kingsbury LOOKED like he took worse of a beating. I honestly don't think this is very meaningful. There were many heavy strikes landed by both fighters, and they both took beatings, and showed that they could take a good deal of punishment. 29-28 Kingsbury, 29-28 Maldonado, and even 30-27 Maldonado are understandable scores. If you score round 3 10-8, then there's 28-28 Draw, 29-27 Maldonado , and 30-26 Maldonado as possibilities.

"I'm what counts out here. You only exist out here because of me."

minotauro11
minotauro11

06.05.2011 | 11:46 AM ET

Yeah, don't get me wrong, it was very close, I just thought Maldonado took it. Most of those knees were blocked, and met with a brutal body shot.

"We Are All One"

Dannotheman
Dannotheman
  • Predictions:  9,433  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,406
  • Post Score: 185

06.05.2011 | 5:01 PM ET

I agree with some other people who're saying he should drop to 185. 20 pounds would not be hard for him to lose and I think he'd be a serious contender at 185 since that division lacks a lot of wrestlers and even then the size advantage would be much less to overcome.

"God please give me patience, if you give me strength I will just punch them in the face."

geezhound
geezhound
  • Predictions:  6,745  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,297
  • Post Score: 193

06.05.2011 | 5:06 PM ET

Prediction: correct Kingsbury   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

My jaw dropped to the floor when they read the decision. Ya, I wouldn't say either one of those guys deserved a W after that piss-poor performance, but I thought Maldonado was clearly the winner.

You just never know what the judges are looking at.

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

Blackwork
Blackwork
  • Predictions:  4,678  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  900
  • Post Score: 162

06.05.2011 | 5:12 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Maldonado   wrong Decision  

I too would like to see Maldonado at 185. He was a chubby 203, so he should be able to make it fairly easy. Kingsbury ever comment on whether those body shots during the clinch were tearing him up? Certainly looked like it.

"http://www.tapology.com/profiles/blackwork/my-rankings?ranking_type=member"

Dannotheman
Dannotheman
  • Predictions:  9,433  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,406

06.05.2011 | 5:21 PM ET

@Blackwork - Heres a quote from Kingsbury, “We watched a lot of film on this guy,” Kingsbury said. “We knew he had great body shots, but until you get in there, you never really know what a guy is packing. He’s devastating.”

And ouch, Kingsbury gonna be out awhile...

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Kingsbury-Suffers-Broken-Orbital-in-TUF-13-Finale-Triumph-32902

"God please give me patience, if you give me strength I will just punch them in the face."

minotauro11
minotauro11

06.05.2011 | 5:37 PM ET

@geez, who had a piss poor performance? That was an awesome fight, it won FOTN.

"We Are All One"

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

06.05.2011 | 6:01 PM ET

@ mino. i agree. that was the best fight of the night. @ blackwork. i agree on the weight cut for maldonado. the middleweight division needs a fighter like that.
Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800

06.06.2011 | 12:15 AM ET

@Black.. absolutely.. guy weighs in at 203 w/out a weight cut... he would be a beat at 185.  I think he coulda finished Kyle in the 3rd if he woulda been more aggresive.. but I agree w/ @Mino AGAIN!  That was a great fight.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

minotauro11
minotauro11

06.06.2011 | 3:17 PM ET

Yeah, that fight was great. At middleweight Maldonado could be a force. His jiu-jitsu is clearly very, very good (he landed so many awesome sweeps on a guy that big), and his boxing is as good as it gets in mma. He could get top 10, maybe even top 5 in the middleweight division. I'd love to see him fight Stann. 

"We Are All One"

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

06.06.2011 | 3:29 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Maldonado   wrong Decision  

Watching the fight for the first time right now and all I can say so far is....Are you kidding me!?! That size difference is insane!

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

06.06.2011 | 7:15 PM ET

i was guessing kingsbury was 230 -235 for that fight and 4 inches taller.

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 58: How to watch Alex Perez vs. Tatsuro Taira, start time, Las Vegas fight card, odds, more
  • Jits Magazine : Jason Nolf Puts On Flawless Performance In BJJ Debut
  • Jits Magazine : Abu Dhabi Grand Slam Tour – Istanbul 2024 Full Results And Review
  • Jits Magazine : ADCC Organizer And Fight 2 Win Head Seth Daniels Sends Death Threats To Craig Jones
  • MMA Mania : UFC Louisville: Bad Stoppage Kills Cannonier’s Title Bid
  • MMA Mania : ‘$2 Million Headbutt’ Kept Oliveira Off MSG Card
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 4: Make your predictions for heavyweights and women's flyweights in Connecticut
  • MMA Mania : Matches To Make After UFC Louisville
  • MMA Junkie : Punahele Soriano contemplated retirement prior to UFC on ESPN 57 win: 'I felt so much pressure'
  • MMA Junkie : Dana White hopes Tony Ferguson retires after UFC on ABC 7 regardless of result
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Anderson Silva open workout ahead of Chael Sonnen boxing match
  • MMA Mania : Cig Smoking Fighter Finds Out He Won $50k Bonus
  • MMA Mania : Cig Smoking UFC Fighter Wins $50k Bonus
  • MMA Junkie : Brunno Ferreira calls for Bo Nickal after spinning-elbow KO at UFC on ESPN 57
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 57 post-event facts: Punahele Soriano sets multiple new all-time UFC records
  • MMAFighting.com : Saul Milton of Chase & Status talks MMA fandom, Tyson Fury walking out to ‘Baddadan’ for Francis Ngannou fight
  • MMA Junkie : Sergio Pettis reflects on Rizin 47 loss to Kyoji Horiguchi: 'It's an eye-opener'
  • MMA Mania : Aspinall Copying Edwards’ Plan For Late UFC 304 Start Time
  • MMA Junkie : Mick Maynard's Shoes: What's next for Jared Cannonier after UFC on ESPN 57 loss?
  • MMA Junkie : Photos: Best of UFC's Raul Rosas Jr.