Tapology Forums

jon jones you said it: "champion 2011". you were right

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

mark maloney
mark maloney
  • Predictions:  793  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  22
  • Post Score: 45

03.20.2011 | 10:56 AM ET

WOW.! Last night at UFC 128 we saw the youngest ever champion crowned in the UFC at the age of 23. Jon Jones and i can't believe i'm saying this embarrased the light heavyweight champion Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua. It was hard to see it goin any other way as shogun had been out for 10 months with injury. Shogun was not just the victim of ring rust, he was batterd from pillar to post for the first 2 rounds. He showed great heart as a champion would, but Jones who only had a victory over Ryan Bader 6 weeks before learning that teammate Rashad Evans was injured and he was takin his place for the strap was just that much better. By round 3 Rua was completely gassed as he was constantly working from the guard before making it to the feet for one last stand. Jones who had a 9" reach advantage pounded Rua to the fence, hit a body shot and a knee before Rua crumpled and tapped the mat to surrender the belt to jones.
With this we saw the present and perhaps the future of the sport... Jones however knows his next opponent very well in former teammate Rashad Evans who has left Greg Jacksons camp for this fight.
To me it just depends who was paying more attention or who was holding back. This is a very tough challenge for anybody in the light heavyweight division but Rashad has the best chance in my eyes.

Responses

LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

03.20.2011 | 11:38 AM ET

I agree that Rashad's got the best chance of beating Jones, but I just don't think he's got the size.

I knew Shogun's injury and layoff would hinder his performance a little bit, but what Jones did to Shogun was not the result of Shogun being rusty.  Jones did to Shogun one of the very few things I didn't even imagine him doing which was making Shogun tap simply by beating him down.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

03.20.2011 | 9:13 PM ET

Jones will only get better with improved cardio. he'll be much more destructive. he was tired after the first 2 rounds but still finished Shogun.

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

TheMope
TheMope
  • Predictions:  101  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  65
  • Post Score: 46

03.20.2011 | 9:29 PM ET

If the Rashad that completely dismantled Forrest shows up to fight Jones, it will be a heck of a contest. Even outsized, Rashad is still a bull dog.

"There's two things you don't know about the Earth. One is Me. The Other is Godzilla."

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

03.20.2011 | 10:12 PM ET

Rashad is not to be underestimated. He can still knock out Jones. Perhaps he will try to tire Jones out. However, if jones punishes him enough early, it'll be all over.

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

zerohours
zerohours
  • Predictions:  499  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  180
  • Post Score: 41

03.20.2011 | 10:37 PM ET

Man great potential fight, awsome back story to help build up hype for the fight (not that it would need it). I agree that Rashad has the best chance out of the LHW division, However Jones is soo dominant in every single fight its getting harder and harder to doubt him!

"Even though my spanish is rusty, yo my English is Olde, 40 down, grab yourself an ice cold Colt 45 feelin alive drunk as **** in the daylight ready to die"

kayot1k
kayot1k
  • Predictions:  535  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  3
  • Post Score: 67

03.20.2011 | 11:21 PM ET

rashad has no chance, wrestling wise i think jones is light years ahead coupled with his creative "flashly" moves makes him impossible to train for. what game plan can you implement against someone so creative and unorthodoxed.

"Time to kick ass and chew bubblegum ... and im all out of gum"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : UFC 301 post-event facts: Michel Pereira joins elite company with eighth straight octagon win
  • MMAFighting.com : Anthony Smith responds to Alex Pereira’s $50,000 challenge: ‘I’ll choke the sh*t out of him’
  • MMA Junkie : Anthony Smith agrees to Alex Pereira's $50K bet after UFC 301 submission win: 'I'll choke the sh*t out of him'
  • Middle Easy : UFC Legend Matt Brown Announces Retirement From MMA : ‘Not Doing it Again’
  • MMA Junkie : Steve Erceg 'devastated' by UFC 301 title fight loss: 'I blew it'
  • MMAFighting.com : Conor McGregor may be BKFC co-owner, but Mike Perry still wants that fight: ‘I am my own boss’
  • MMA Mania : Video: O’Malley Vs. Dvalishvili Booked?
  • MMA Junkie : Jack Shore's coach calls foul on shin cut stoppage at UFC 301
  • MMA Mania : ‘Let Fighters Fight!’
  • MMAFighting.com : Jon Jones reveals ‘I have a date’ for UFC return, verbal agreement in place
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 303 teaser video: Shadowy Conor McGregor paces during 'Foggy Dew'
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch insane knockout punch leave fighter flat on the canvas
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch: Conor McGregor’s return teased in spine-tingling promo ahead of UFC 303
  • MMA Junkie : Fight Tracks: The walkout songs of UFC 301 with AC/DC x 3
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 Promotional Guidelines Compliance pay: Jose Aldo nets $21k for potential final UFC fight
  • MMAFighting.com : Steve Erceg reacts to Alexandre Pantoja loss at UFC 301: ‘I just blew it’
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Feel Bad For Buffer’
  • Jits Magazine : Who’s Number One 23: Nicholas Meregali vs Vagner Rocha Full Preview
  • MMA Mania : Biggest Winners, Loser From UFC 301
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301, The Morning After: Retirement Isn’t Real!