Tapology Forums

Dropping in competition following losses must end.

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

06.09.2012 | 4:18 PM ET

Whenever I hear that someone lost a fight, therefore they must be dropped down in competition to get them some soft wins to build them back, I cringe.

That comes very close to fight-fixing.  Not in the overt sense, but in arranging to have expected results.  Much too political for my tastes.  If we notice that over 80% of our members favor a fighter, then we should question if that fight is a setup to get someone's record padded to build them up.  If a guy loses, he should not be dropped down.  That is bad.  If the UFC is arranging fights with expected results, is that not manipulating the rankings?

The UFC should NOT, NOT, NOT be in the business of building anyone UP.  It should try hard to find someone of as close to comparable toughness as possible.  The best matches pit guys of equal quality against each other.  Of course, that is not always possible, but that is the goal, the aim, the quest.  

If Shogun must be dropped down to rebuild him, he is washed up.  I say he is NOT washed up, doesn't deserve to be insulted with Vera, and is still deserving of Rashad Evans.  Give him someone like Stephan Bonnar maybe.  Someone who will still give him a really tough fight.  NO SOFT FIGHTS!  Padding his resume with easy competition is immoral, unethical and ********.  Same as forcing Fitch to fight mid-tier guys who can't build his case for #2.  TOTAL ********!!!

* Edited at 06.09.2012, 7:11 PM ET *

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

Responses Page 2

CashBrewyn
CashBrewyn
  • Predictions:  21,572  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  4,045
  • Post Score: 212

06.09.2012 | 10:29 PM ET

Hendricks beat a guy on your list Sadollah 2 or 3 years ago so why not include him in those rising stars Bill?

"My hearts pumpin' the blood of Royce Gracie My thoughts dumpin' the slug and point straightly"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

06.09.2012 | 10:40 PM ET

I considered him, but he only had the one fight with another rising guy who was at the bottom of the group.  The others had several fights among themselves.  To jump from Amir to the #2 feels abrupt and jarring to me.

And that win over Sadollah didn't entitle Hendricks to a Top 20 ranking, to me.  

I also considered Charlie Brenneman, Brian Ebersole.

* Edited at 06.09.2012, 10:42 PM ET *

CashBrewyn
CashBrewyn
  • Predictions:  21,572  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  4,045
  • Post Score: 212

06.09.2012 | 10:43 PM ET

Hendricks has a win over Brenneman as well

"My hearts pumpin' the blood of Royce Gracie My thoughts dumpin' the slug and point straightly"

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

06.09.2012 | 10:48 PM ET

sadly.

Brenneman is still very awesome though.

"الله أكبرl"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

06.09.2012 | 11:49 PM ET

Charlie just got punked.  But I still like him a lot.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

06.09.2012 | 11:52 PM ET

Is it so wrong of a member to want some order and fairness?  If someone is jumped too far, he bumps a more deserving fighter.  So what if the system isn't perfect?  We must try, mustn't we?  

Is that whacked?

jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero
  • Predictions:  5,066  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,396
  • Post Score: 240

06.09.2012 | 11:56 PM ET

"Today, Condit, Kampmann, MacDonald and Ellenberger are considered top contenders and the Top Tier never had to drop to mid-tier to accomadate them."

Ellenberger was given Shields who was coming off of a loss to the champ GSP

Condit was given Hardy who was also coming off of a loss to the champ GSP

There's 50% of that particular argument picked apart in 2 lines

"If you're matched up against me, you better be prepared to give your life...because I am prepared to take it. - Conor McGregor"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

06.10.2012 | 12:59 AM ET

Hardy, a top fighter?  Your argument falls apart.

The principle isn't perfect, but if you can't see it, so be it.  I can see it, and I think most others can see the point.

jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero

06.10.2012 | 1:39 AM ET

You don't think a fighter coming off of a title shot classes him as a "top tier" fighter?

Ok dude

I look forward to your next 8 ridiculously pointless threads in the coming 2-3 days

Peace

"If you're matched up against me, you better be prepared to give your life...because I am prepared to take it. - Conor McGregor"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

06.10.2012 | 2:08 AM ET

No, and most others don't either.  And his record since proves the point.  

So far, I've not criticized you, yet you troll me.  

Alright.  If you disagree, fine, but why bash instead of disagreeing with respect and civility?

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

06.10.2012 | 2:31 AM ET

Sorry Bill, I'll have to disagree with you there. How was Hardy not Top 5 after his loss to GSP?

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero

06.10.2012 | 3:04 AM ET

I'm trying my best to be civil I assure you but it's like trying to argue with a guy who thinks Dan Aykroyd is the Prime Minister of Turkmenistan

I've already stated my argument and it's the correct one so I'm done with this pointless escapade

Good talk Bill

The Rock
The Rock
  • Predictions:  53  |  52.8%
  • Forum Posts:  181
  • Post Score: 295

06.10.2012 | 3:22 AM ET

Bill Burgess, The Rock asks.. do you like pie?

"Finally.. The ROCK Has Comeback to... TAPOLOGY!"

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

06.10.2012 | 6:38 AM ET

@bill He WAS a top tier fighter hence why he got a title shot.. sure he fell off the rankings after that.. but if Anderson lost to Chael then went on a big lose streak you would say he was never a top tier fighter? you're crazy man.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

06.10.2012 | 10:01 AM ET

I think the thread is losing its way, but I will do my best to answer all civil respectful questions anyway.

Dan Hardy:  Since he arrived in the UFC, his win streak included Dan Weichel, Akihiro Gono, Rory Markham, Marcus Davis & Mike Swick.  Not a single one could be classed inside the WW Top 20.  Not one.

They gave him a title shot only because GSP was on such a hot streak that he was running short of true title contenders.  He had beaten, in order: Koscheck, Hughes, Serra, Fitch, Penn and Alves.  All the Top Tier guys.  They were running out of candidates, so they gave a shot to Hardy.  Who else were they gonna turn to?  Who was left?  The present crop of exciting guys hadn't arrived at that particular moment.

But Dan Hardy wasn't necessarily Top Tier at that moment, and he hasn't been since.  I'm not being argumentitive, as Jaffa is trying to say.  I've read many times that Hardy wasn't deserving of a title shot at that moment.  But when a man like GSP has cleaned out his division, who are they gonna give him?  It's a valid question.  

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

06.10.2012 | 10:11 AM ET

The thread has lost its way, so I will try to get it back on track.  The premise.

If a Top Contender loses a fight, there is no need to drop his status to mid-tier and force him to fight beneath his status, just to pad his resume and rebuild his case to fight Top Tier.

Give the man his respect and if he truly earned his Top Tier status in the first place, continue to give him Top Tier fights, to allow him to reestablish his credentials.

Stop giving Top Tier contenders fights against the bottom mid-tier guys.  Make the mid-tier guys fight their way up systematically, until they have sorted themselves out and arrive naturally at the top of the mid-tier.  

Either you support the principle of fighting your way up the ladder or you don't support the principle.  We can quibble about who is and who isn't, but the principle is simple, or at least it was in my mind when I created the thread.

If you disagree with me, that's fine but at least do so respectfully.  Just because I do not back down from a principle, that doesn't make me argumentative, but principled.  All those calling me names just because they disagree with me have never learned to interact with others respectfully.  

Hey Jaffa.  Are all those who won't give in to your arguments all jerks and idiots?  Does holding your ground in a discussion with you classify them as stubborn ******s or trolls?  You need to learn how to be disagreed with and not lose your good manners.  Maybe try humor or laughter.  It's so much nicer than throwing rocks at those who don't agree with your 'correct argument'.  

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,476  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,787
  • Post Score: 180

06.10.2012 | 12:22 PM ET

Bill, your idea of tiers is one I support because rankings are subjective & there isn't a uniformity of difference between each specific spot but Johny Hendricks had more than earned his status as a contender by the time he got the Fitch bout.

He entered the UFC 5-0, 2-0 in the WEC and a 2 time NC wrestler, went 4-0 vs. opponents all still with the UFC whose total # of losses going into their fights with Hendricks was 3 & 2 of the 4 were handed their 1st career losses, lost a split decision to fellow veteran Rick Story, got his (unfair in your eyes) rebuild fight against Waldburger who had 1 UFC fight, and then beat fellow solid veteran Pierce, whose only loss was to Fitch, so therefore a bout with Fitch coming off the draw and injury layoff made it a very viable fight if looked at rationally and not from the perspective of %. Remember, the best of us struggle to pick 2/3 right.

Shogun is coming off a loss and none of the LHWs you listed are coming off a loss and available to fight.

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

Kpro
Kpro
  • Predictions:  11,208  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  4,927
  • Post Score: 255

06.10.2012 | 12:29 PM ET

Contracts play a huge part in matchmaking.  You'll generally get your stiffest challenge in your last fight on your contract for leverage purposes.  That's why most mid-tier guys "happen" to be in their final fight on their contract when they "get the call" to face a rebounding top tier fighter.  At the same time, rebound fights are never offered to a top tier fighter in his final fight who hasn't already signed an extension.

"I Stab Waterbeds!"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

06.10.2012 | 1:38 PM ET

@mule  You make a very good, solid case for your opinion that Hendricks was an appropriate candidate for Fitch.  I don't happen to agree with it but you do reason well.  Story was the only Top 15 guy he fought, and he dropped the decision.  Sadollah was probably ranked somewhere between 15-20.  Funch, Grant, Brenneman, Waldburger, Pierce, were not Top 20.  Being a seasoned veteran is not the same as Top 20, hence Pierce is not quite there, even now.

Brenneman, when he fought Hendricks was a good wrestler, but Hendricks was only his 2nd fight in the UFC.  He had beaten Jason High, but who is he?

I like you, mule and appreciate your participation in my thread and your respectful tone shows you are a gentleman.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

06.10.2012 | 1:47 PM ET

@Kpro  Thanks for that informative, very useful, helpful post!  That kind of political leveraging by the UFC is not appreciated by us true fans.  It's just another layer of BS for the fighters to wade through on the road to their destinies.

We fans should not support the UFC when it tries to leverage its independent contractors.  Quite good posting, Kpro!  

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : ‘Crazy’ Stalker Sneaks Into UFC PI, Claims Ribas Is His ‘Wife’
  • MMAFighting.com : Hailey Cowan reveals nasty leg break, Tamires Vidal gets replacement for UFC Vegas 92 fight
  • MMA Junkie : Arman Tsarukyan: Michael Chandler 'never uses his brain,' has to knock out Conor McGregor early to win
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 91: 20 Fun Tidbits, Facts And Storylines
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway confirms Justin Gaethje should’ve been credited for UFC 300 knockdown: ‘That’s some bullsh*t’
  • MMA Junkie : 'That's some bullsh*t': Max Holloway believes Justin Gaethje deserves credit for first UFC career knockdown
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 and UFC Vegas 91 preview show: Is UFC playing second fiddle to Mike Perry?
  • MMA Junkie : Melissa Gatto fights Tamires Vidal at UFC Fight Night 241 after Hailey Cowan suffers broken leg
  • MMA Junkie : Melissa Gatto fights Tamires Vidal at UFC Fight Night 241 after Hailey Cowan injured
  • MMA Mania : VanZant Stares Down Brooke Ahead Of Misfits Clash
  • Jits Magazine : PGF World Season 6: Best Of Day 4
  • Bad Left Hook : Tellez vs Jackson: Live discussion, 8 pm ET
  • Middle Easy : Max Holloway Is Just Getting Started Following His Epic BMF Title Win at UFC 300, Credits Justin Gaethje for First UFC Knockdown
  • Middle Easy : Max Holloway Is Just Getting Started Following His Epic BMF Title Win at UFC 300: ‘I’m a Young Man’
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping warns Islam Makhachev of 'sniper' Leon Edwards: 'Be careful what you wish for'
  • MMA Mania : Officer ‘Bad Boy’ Reporting For Duty!
  • MMAFighting.com : Heck of a Morning: Does the UFC hosting more events on the road mean APEX cards will soon end?
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 weigh-in faceoff highlights video, photo gallery
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 ceremonial weigh-in faceoff highlights video, photo gallery
  • Jits Magazine : Free Fight Friday: Declan Moody vs Anton Minenko