Tapology Forums

just me or...?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

jersey0525
jersey0525
  • Predictions:  2,766  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,536
  • Post Score: 188

03.16.2011 | 12:27 AM ET

has the ufc LHW division fallen off recently? not too long ago, the champs and challengers were feared and numerous....now (doing my research like the sports writer i am) the LHW is the most inactive division in ufc.... going all the way back to last march, there has been a TOTAL of 14 main card fights on ppv...this number includes such gems as hamill-ortiz, couture-toney, rampage-machida....it hasnt helped that forrest, rashad, shogun, and machida have been injured, and rampage and couture movie deals taking them away for periods at a time.... this USED to b UFC's signature division, now i'd rank it 3rd.  and its only ahead of MW and WW because those divisions champs have been one man weight demolishers... but lemme kno if im missing something, but i brought this up because jones-shogun is the most excited ive been for a LHW fight in over a year..and that felt strange

"im an OT (ORIGINAL TAPOLOGIST), I used to write for cagepages.com. NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT LEFT HAND SHOT"

Responses

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

03.16.2011 | 1:25 AM ET

Interesting that there have been so few LHW matchups recently. Lot of injuries. Rashad injured/waiting for his title shot, Shogun knee injury, Thiago Silva had a back injury, Forrest was injured, Ortiz has been out with injury, Rampage had his movie.   Bunch of 205lb wimps!!!  :)

I still think of it as the UFC's signature division even without the "old" Chuck, Tito, and Randy in the mix.  You've still got a lot of bankable stars left. And at this size the fighters are fast and athletic, but also seem a little bit larger than life.

"I live, I die, I live again."

MikeAWhitney
MikeAWhitney
  • Predictions:  296  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  252
  • Post Score: 50

03.16.2011 | 1:57 AM ET

Gotta Agree with both of you guys. I think that they need some new blood in there to help bring it back into form I believe Dan Henderson would be a good but were gonna have to wait for his contract to be up and have him resigned with the UFC. Also with all the injuries there hasnt been many fighters who can actually fight. In my opinion the LHW division is my favorite so I feel your pain.
Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

03.16.2011 | 2:33 AM ET

Gregory hit the nail on the head and you mentioned it yourself. When you look at the top ranked fighters of the division they've been injured, or had other obligations. Some of the old school fighters are getting old and some have dropped weight class. A lot of the younger fighters have fought just the names have been out with injury, busy or retiring. Phil Davis fought 4 times last year. Jones has essentially established himself over the past year or 2, and Gustaffson has also been a guy to look out for now. The young guys have been a lot more active than the name guys and are moving to take their place. A lot of them are just cruising under the radar. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

TheMope
TheMope
  • Predictions:  101  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  65
  • Post Score: 46

03.16.2011 | 10:41 AM ET

The LHW have been pretty lukewarm recently. I agree with what you guys are saying for sure. Its the young guys coming in that are really going to build it back up. Speaking of, I can't remember the last time there was a half hour special on just one guy (Jon Jones on spike tomorrow). The effort to make him the poster child is really heavy handed. I could be wrong about the specials, but there's no question they want Jones to be as bankable as possible.

"There's two things you don't know about the Earth. One is Me. The Other is Godzilla."

Babywads
Babywads
  • Predictions:  767  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  129
  • Post Score: 116

03.16.2011 | 1:09 PM ET

When I heard about the special on Jon Jones I was astounded.  Before the Bader fight he was a prodigy.  The next day he is the face of the UFC.  The UFC definitely looking to use him to revitalize the stalling LHW division.

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

03.16.2011 | 1:39 PM ET

I think it's a little overboard. I want Jones to win, but they should be focusing on the champ and if Shogun destroys him in one round i wouldn't be suprised. I'm sure he's using all the Jones hype and specials as more fuel for his fire, which is explosive enough. I'm curious how the UFC spins this if Jones loses?
TheMope
TheMope
  • Predictions:  101  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  65
  • Post Score: 46

03.16.2011 | 2:42 PM ET

Dana White at the press conference following a Jones loss, "Johnny Jones got knocked out like a f*$%ing champ. He utilized Jackson's strategy perfectly by taking that left hook to the face. Did you see that s$*&? A star is f#*%ing born"

Jones wins this fight either way.

"There's two things you don't know about the Earth. One is Me. The Other is Godzilla."

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

03.16.2011 | 2:49 PM ET

@mope too funny... at least you always  know where dana stands - you know who he wants to win.  "BJ Penn won that fight for sure"  "I thought Diego won that fight"

"I live, I die, I live again."

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

03.16.2011 | 3:09 PM ET

Classic, all you have to do is throw in a F-bomb every sentence and you mimick Dana.... I have to be honest, i'm a huge Jones fan and the more i hear how confident people are that he's going to win, the more i want Shogun to KTFO him....
GODKING7
GODKING7
  • Predictions:  91  |  53.8%
  • Forum Posts:  6
  • Post Score: 83

03.18.2011 | 9:31 PM ET

NO ITS BY FAR THE TOUGHEST DIV. IN ALL COMBAT SPORTS AND SHOGUN WILL HOLD THAT TITLE FOR A LONG TIME 2 COME!!!

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Weekend boxing review: Canelo Alvarez gave vintage performance. Is David Benavidez next?
  • MMA Mania : Aspinall In The Dark While Jones ‘Is Playing Games Again’
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 medical suspensions: 3 winners potentially out 6 months
  • Middle Easy : Jose Aldo vs. Sean O’Malley? ‘Very Possible Chance’ Outlandish Title Fight Happens, Says Outspoken UFC Star
  • MMA Junkie : Matt Brown explains how UFC 300 snub finalized retirement decision, says BKFC signing 'not out of the question'
  • MMA Mania : Covington Knows Garry Is A ‘Terrible Stylistic Matchup’
  • MMAFighting.com : Sean O’Malley responds to Conor McGregor diss, now wants Michael Chandler to ‘sleep’ him
  • Bad Left Hook : Roach vs McCrory set for June 28 on ProBox TV
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch The MMA Hour with Poirier, Pantoja, Hardys and Hughes in studio, now
  • UFC.com : Fight By Fight Preview | UFC St. Louis
  • Middle Easy : Dustin Poirier On Where ‘Khabib’s Pupil’ Islam Makhachev Presents ‘More Of A Threat’ Than Ex-Champ
  • MMA Junkie : Nursulton Ruziboev says welterweight easy cut for UFC on ESPN 56, still wants middleweight fights
  • MMAFighting.com : Tom Aspinall: Jon Jones ‘playing games again’ with Alex Pereira talk, ‘trying to convince the public’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC champ Sean O'Malley 'changing up' on Conor McGregor allegiance after being targeted in rant
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 fight night weights: Mike Perry only gained 5 pounds before 60-second knockout
  • MMA Mania : Fury Vs Usyk Fight Card, Full PPV Lineup
  • MMAFighting.com : Mailbag: Alexandre Pantoja, Steve Erceg, Jose Aldo, and where we go after UFC 301
  • UFC.com : Nursulton Ruziboev Has Big Plans
  • MMA Junkie : Demetrious Johnson: Alexandre Pantoja didn't look like a better fighter than Steve Erceg at UFC 301
  • Middle Easy : Demetrious Johnson Rips Alexandre Pantoja’s Performance At UFC 301, Names Who Could Beat ‘The Cannibal’