Topic: Other Combat Sports

Every Mike Tyson Fight - Videos inside

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,888  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

05.24.2012 | 9:59 PM ET

I made a playlist on YouTube with every Mike Tyson fight, with the exception of his sixth fight with Larry Sims, which apparently wasn't recorded.  Here's the link for anyone interested.

Responses Page 2

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

08.17.2018 | 5:59 PM ET

Not sure why everybody is so high on Tyson. He wasn't much more than a goon TBH, and if he couldn't impose his will he got wrecked. The first time he came up against someone he couldn't bully he got smoked. I'll go to my grave believing Foremen would have smoked him, and he knew that, and ducked him.
This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 2 days, 1 hour, and 2 minutes from now.
MassaBruce
MassaBruce

08.17.2018 | 7:10 PM ET

Tyson is 1 of the best prize-fighters that ever existed. Period. 
This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day, 14 hours, and 17 minutes from now.
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

08.22.2018 | 9:39 PM ET

Nope. Just a thug, which is why he was never able to beat Lewis or Holyfield, and never would have beaten them. Either he was able to intimidate his opponent and merk them within two, or he got merked. It's also why Buster Douglas was able to rip his plug out after getting floored. Typical bully. No heart.

Who is Mike's best win? Spinks? Old man Holmes? Please. Not only not one of the greatest of all time, not even one of the great HW's of all time. It is criminal that he is more famous than Earnie Shavers.

* Edited at 08.22.2018, 10:12 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 2 days, 1 hour, and 2 minutes from now.
AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,888  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

08.23.2018 | 3:53 PM ET

@ImperatorFishrat Well, you're not wrong. Tyson isn't an all time great on the level of Ali or Joe Louis. He was a front runner, and for a long time he definitely did act like a thug. 

However, I think you are underrating his overall body of work. I love boxing's history and Tyson's career is the quintessential story of the rapid rise and epic fall of what was an extremely talented and compelling fighter.

While he did lose to the better fighters he fought in the 90's, 80's Tyson was the perfect embodiment of Cus D'aMato's "peek a boo" style. With his speed, movement and power, I believe 80's Tyson could have beaten any great on any given night.

By the time he lost to Buster Douglas, his father figure Cus D'aMato had long been gone and his celebrity had grown to staggering heights. Then after prison he was really a shadow of his former self. I'm not saying 80's Tyson would definitely have beaten Holyfield or Lewis, but those guys definitely didn't get Tyson at his best. 

If nothing else his career's highs and lows both made for a hell of an entertaining show. And look how nice old man Tyson ended up being. :)
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

08.23.2018 | 6:20 PM ET

Well, this is what I get from basically every Tyson apologist; deferral to his streak as an amateur/semi-pro in the 80's and blaming every subsequent loss on the fact that he didn't have Cus around to train him. Neither argument really holds any water.Firstly, if he was a s good as everyone thinks he is, he would have adapted. And he never did. Moving on:

Cus is probably the most overrated trainer of all time. He trained exactly two Champions of any note, and they were Tyson, and Floyd patterson. Moreoever, they were not long standing champions, and were exposed by more technical fighters midway through their careers. It wasn't age that beat them; it was better trained fighters.

Compare this to someone like Emanuel Steward. He trained:

Julio César Chávez
Oscar de la Hoya
Evander Holyfield
Wladimir Klitschko
Gerard Mclellan
Miguel Cotto
James Toney

Among dozens of others of elites. Cus was simply not in that league.

Mike Tyson was afraid of George Foreman. This was actually the biggest fight that could have been made for Tyson in the 90's, and Mike ducked it, because he knew full well he would have gotten KTFO within three rounds.Foreman could do everything Mike could do, but was a classier boxer who punched harder and had something that Tyson never did; Heart. It was an absolutely godawful matchup for Mike and King and Mike wanted no part of it. Let's not forget that Foreman was making an incredibly comeback in the 90's and was starching everybody left and right.

According to one analyst:

Throughout the lunch Goodman, Duva, Benton, and myself shared stories and thoughts on the fight game. Out of the blue Goodman said, "Oh I remember why else Tyson wanted no parts of Foreman. He said that King had found out from Steve Lott that Tyson and Cus D'Amato used to watch the Frazier-Foreman fight over and over." He continued saying that Tyson loved that fight because he was awed by Foreman's power and Frazier's toughness and how he kept getting up after every knockdown. He also said that Lott told King that Cus sat alongside Tyson saying, "It's suicide against Foreman if you're short and fight a swarming attacking style like Marciano or Frazier," never figuring that Foreman could be a possible Tyson opponent down the road. He said that Cus said the only fighters who had a chance against Foreman were, tall rangy fighters who could fight him from a distance while moving away from him, and no way any swarmer could beat Foreman by going to him.

At 42 years of age, Foreman would have beaten the black off Tyson. You can take that to the bank. He went the distance with prime Holyfield, and from 1987 to 1991 knocked out every single opponent. Of his 76 wins, 68 are KO's. He is probably the second hardest puncher of all time after Shavers, and is one of the best HW's of all time.How Ali was able to absorb all of his bodywork to this day baffles me. You're talking about a guy who would crumple heavy bags like toilet rolls.

Was Tyson a good heavyweight? Yes. Is he one of the great heavyweights? No. Not by any metric is he that. Not only should he not be mentioned in the same breath as Ali, foreman or Frazier, but he shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Holyfield, or Lewis, both of whom were infinitely more skilled heavyweights who absolutely annihilated him.

His best wins are spinks and an old Holmes.Records speak for themselves. It doesn't matter what you think might have been, what matters is what happened. And there's nothing to suggest from Cus's own record that he could have made Tyson into something remarkable anyway, because his own record is unremarkable.

And he's also a ****** and a dirty, ear-biting *************. No heart. No honor. Just a Don King Hype train who uneducated boxing fans turned into a superstar because he was a scary looking dude who talked about raping reporters and eating people's children at pressers.

End of.

* Edited at 08.23.2018, 9:19 PM ET *

MassaBruce
MassaBruce

08.23.2018 | 6:44 PM ET

Cus is overrated having trained the 2 best HW's of all time. Brilliant. 

Tyson didn't act like a thug, he was a thug. Its almost like none of you know anything about the man lmfao 

Tysons life makes Duran look like a spoiled royal family member. 

* Edited at 08.23.2018, 6:46 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day, 14 hours, and 17 minutes from now.
MassaBruce
MassaBruce

08.23.2018 | 6:59 PM ET

This is why boxing is dead. All you people wanna do is try to discredit anything and everything these men did. Oh beating Holmes means nothing for Tyson yet Holmes beat Ali...who you agree is the GOAT. So which is it Fishboy? Is Holmes a legit fo or just another bum? Hmm? Your logic has no facts purely hate-filled jealousy. Hell, you guys are still more upset about the **** then the actual victim. She's moved on. Tyson did time. Yet, its the first thing people bring up. 

Losing means nothing. Hints why Ali and Suga Ray are the GOATS. Not Floyd. Its 2018 and you just tried to say ducking George Fookin Foreman is a bad thing!? LMFAO. Did George wanna fight Ali again? NOPE. So who gives a ****. Tyson KO'd anybody and everybody they put in front of him til Douglas, who went on to do absolutely nothing with his career. 

To be a "GOAT" you must have several things. I think that's what 99% of you don't understand. Its not just about who they fought or beat. Its about what they went through, where they came from, trials & tribulations. What they stood for. What they fought for. 

And to this day Tyson has the best story of any fighter that has or ever will exist. An uneducated black man that went from having 1 outfit for school and stealing $$$ from the guys his prostitute mother was screwing that day, to buying Rolles-Royce's and tigers back to nothing again is The GOAT. Period. 

Not a single fighter you mentioned EVER had to find their dead child. NONE of those fighters went to prison and came back a better man. 

I love me some Ray Robinson but he fought the same 10 guys every year. Robinson was an educated man. Good looking man. Had a family, could play instruments. Tyson knocked out 10 guys in a row before he could count his own fight purse. THERE IS NO COMPARISON. 

* Edited at 08.23.2018, 7:06 PM ET *

MassaBruce
MassaBruce

08.23.2018 | 7:13 PM ET

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

08.23.2018 | 7:33 PM ET

Are you seriously trying to give Holmes credit for beating Ali? Ali was an incredibly sick man at that point and had no business even being in the ring. That fight should never have been sanctioned. It's one of the worst moments in Boxing. Holmes was crying backstage with shame. Literally. Nobody who knew anything about the sport of boxing would try and make a case for Tyson being great on the basis that Holmes beat Ali and Tyson beat Holmes.

You might know more than I ever will about wrestling Bruce, but you can't teach me anything about the sport of Boxing.

Ands are you seriously trying to tell me that Tyson had it rougher than Sugar Ray? Ridiculous. Robinson was doing this **** in the time before civil rights. He had to endure systemic racism which Tyson could scarcely imagine.How dare you even mention that mans name in the same breath as Tyson.

* Edited at 08.23.2018, 7:40 PM ET *

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

08.23.2018 | 8:00 PM ET

Oh--so Mike Tyson and Patterson are the best HW's of all time? LMAO! **** you say some silly things when you've been hitting the bottle Bruce. And I don't think Ali is GOAT, Ray Robinson is GOAT.

You've got a hero crush on a ****** who wilted at the fists of the first elite fighter he came up against. It is what it is.

MassaBruce
MassaBruce

08.23.2018 | 8:04 PM ET

If I knew nothing than you wouldn't have anchored on 1 of my points alone. You might've watched boxing but that doesn't mean you know more than me. I know Prize-Fighting. I know more about Suga Ray Robinson than most who watched his career play out on their tiny black & white television screens. 

I only brought up Holmes because YOU did man. YOU said Tysons win over Holmes meant nothing to which I rebutted. 

You bring up that random analyst quote and I just giggle. How does that hold any weight? Some old guys said this. Neat. That's no more irrefutable than Ali himself saying "Tyson would beat me. KO" in that live interview when he was a much older man. 

Look how padded Foremans record is bruh. Trying to bash on Tysons record, look at George. Who the hell is Ladislao Mijangos lmfao. So lets just say every W by KO counts, no matter the opponent. Tyson has an 88% KO rate compared to Foremans 89% KO rate. Both could KO any man alive with a clean combo to the chin. Period. 

Now lets look at Foremans story....beat some very notable fighters then went on to be an entrepreneur at best? What did he stand for? Idk. I know he was a monster in the ring who ended up selling grills on infomercials and named every single 1 of his boys George. You need that good story to be a GOAT. 

Liston had a much more intriguing story. Nobody alive actually knows when that man was born OR when he died. 1 of his quotes that stuck is none other than "the only thing my dad ever gave me was a beating". A heroine addict that became the HW champ? Now that's a GOAT story. Which is why Sonny Liston is above Foreman. 

I know Floyd Patterson as the guy who ever great fighter beat. 

* Edited at 08.23.2018, 8:17 PM ET *

MassaBruce
MassaBruce

08.23.2018 | 8:05 PM ET

And you have a crush on a very skilled fighter who fought one guy 6 times and almost lost every single time. Suga Ray is a GOAT but he's like the Lincoln of GOATs....hyped. 

* Edited at 08.23.2018, 8:17 PM ET *

MassaBruce
MassaBruce

08.23.2018 | 8:06 PM ET

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• LFA 182 Tapology coverage is now live
  • Khaseyn Shaykhaev vs. Michel Lima - Round 2 is in progress.
  • Join the LFA 182 live discussion
  • Tapology Picks: Michel Lima 7% Khaseyn Shaykhaev 93%
  • Michel "Pânico" Lima (18-5-0) PE, BR is the #65th Pro Mens Featherweight in Brazil.
  • Khaseyn Shaykhaev (6-1-0) Chechnya, RU is the #66th Pro Mens Bantamweight in Russia.
  • LFA 182 features 11 MMA bouts
  • The event takes place from Sanford Pentagon in Sioux Falls, South Dakota