Tapology Forums

Kos vs Penn??????????????

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

05.17.2012 | 2:22 AM ET

Josh Koscheck @JoshKoscheck1h

#UFC just offered me to fight BJ Penn...I said YES!!!!! Just waiting on him!!!!!! Let's scrap bra?

Okay so this was a tweet from Koscheks twitter account tonight.  Interesting, not sure I like the matchup for BJ though.  Not sure this is the match that gets him out of retirement, strong wrestler may not be a good idea.

What do the rest of you think?

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

Responses Page 3

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

05.17.2012 | 7:52 PM ET

I'm confused with BJ's response.  Recently on Bleacher Report, he indicated he was coming back out of retirement.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1012129-bj-penn-calls-nick-diaz-a-coward-asks-for-rematch

I'm really confused by BJ's lack of interest.  Maybe he realizes he has nothing to gain by a win over Kos.  Maybe he wants a bigger name, like Fitch, Shields, Alves, Condit or Ellenberger?

At this point in his career, if BJ comes back, it will all depend on his attitude towards his conditioning.  If he decides to train hard and expand his gas tank, he could be a force once again.

As it is now, BJ has the smallest gas tank in MMA and is a virtual 1-round fighter.  That is not enough to compete against today's top guys.

If he trained hard enough, he could beat Kos rather easily.  But the chances of him training that hard are remote.  Kos is desperate for a name fighter to scrap with, and BJ is ambivalent about his return or his legacy.

I disagree with everyone who wants to see Penn fight at LW just because he is a small WW.  Most of the interesting fights I want to see Penn take are at WW.  Fitch rematch, Shields (before he opted to return to MW), Alves, Kos, Condit, McDonald, Ellenberger, Hathaway, Story, Hendricks.

But I admit I would also like to see Penn fight Aldo at LW, as well as Gil Melendez, Ben Henderson, Nate Diaz & Eddie Alvarez.

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

kibj411
kibj411

05.17.2012 | 8:06 PM ET

I wouldn't say any of those people you mentioned are bigger names than Kos. I think BJ could make another serious run at lightweight. Plus his match-ups there are a lot more interesting IMO. 
MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,395  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

05.17.2012 | 8:15 PM ET

If Penn does return and fights at any division OTHER THAN lightweight ... he is a dumbass. 

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

05.17.2012 | 8:17 PM ET

BJ's declining of this fight is very disappointing.  To me and all his fans.  While most MMA fighters are doing everything they can think of to burnish their resumes and improve their skill-sets, BJ holds back, pondering the meaning of it all.  

BJ is too old to let time go by and watch the Hawian sunsets.  This is it for him.  His fans won't wait forever

Lopati
Lopati

05.17.2012 | 8:27 PM ET

Bill, what does a fight with Kos do for BJ's career?  Nothing and this has no disappointment for most his fans.

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

skeet2b
skeet2b
  • Predictions:  8,330  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  1,703
  • Post Score: 158

05.17.2012 | 8:27 PM ET

I would really like to see BJ come back at 170 and maybe get a shot at the WW title without having to fight GSP, I dont think he really has a chance to make another title run but he might still have a few wins left, if he can get a win and get a title shot I think he has a shot, really I think they should have him fight someone that will scrap with him just so we can see a great fight

"A true champion, face to face with his darkest hour, will do whatever it takes to rise above. A man fights, and fights, and then fights some more. Because surrender is death, and death is for *******"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

05.17.2012 | 8:36 PM ET

@Lopati  I admit that a fight with Kos would do nothing for his career.  As the bigger name and better fighter, a win over Kos would give BJ's career no bounce.  He would be expected to win and whenever you're expected to win, the win does not act as a springboard to launch you to a higher level.

But still, a fight with Kos should excite his fans and be something all of us can get behind.  To not take it makes him appear timid and uncharacteristically shy and passive.  Just what is he waiting for?  

wilflet
wilflet
  • Predictions:  8,201  |  59.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,413
  • Post Score: 228

05.17.2012 | 8:38 PM ET

weight class and conditioing are interesting/unusual with bj, going lower dosnt mean hard cut no cardio, it means good fighting shape, higher class isnt like frankie at 155, hendo hw at 206.. its super sizing his burger kings between training. (and i cant mock, im shorter than he is but 215ish)
to me he really needs to be 155.
at 170 the fights are meaningless, any losses become part of the slide, wins and hes still below diaz and in most peoples minds fitch,

"Demons run when a good man goes to war."

kibj411
kibj411

05.17.2012 | 8:40 PM ET

As much as BJ has done for the sport, I think he deserves the break he's on and the right to take whatever fight he feels like taking. A fight with Kos would've been fun but there are better match-ups. 
Lopati
Lopati

05.17.2012 | 8:43 PM ET

NewsFlash:  BJ is retired, he may not be waiting for anything.  It may only be a shot at GSP that brings BJ back from this, I think that is what he wants more than anything.  The losses to GSP will probably haunt BJ for the rest of his life and he probably wants to erase those or stay away from the game for good.

Just my opinion and there is nothing that supports me saying BJ only wants to come back to fight GSP.

Hopefully Condit defeats GSP, which in turn would make the likelihood of a BJ - GSP matchup a lot more likely.

MMApicker42
MMApicker42
  • Predictions:  4,050  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,828
  • Post Score: 131

05.17.2012 | 8:45 PM ET

BJ is much better at 155, It forces him to do cardio and wrestlers aren't twice the size of him.
DietDrPepper
DietDrPepper
  • Predictions:  14,982  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  637
  • Post Score: 180

05.17.2012 | 8:49 PM ET

BJ will looks awesome early and fade late, Kos wins a decision. 155 is where BJ belongs, I'd love to see him against Bendo
FresnoMMA
FresnoMMA
  • Predictions:  56,271  |  68.6%
  • Forum Posts:  7,436
  • Post Score: 204

05.18.2012 | 12:27 AM ET

This would be a great fight for Koscheck, and I could definitely see him taking it and adding a huge name to his resume and title aspirations.
Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

05.18.2012 | 10:55 AM ET

BJ vs. GSP is almost unfair.  BJ comes in at 172 at the most.  GSP rehydrates to about 192 on fight night.

GSP is so much bigger, stronger and has unlimited endurance.  Once GSP takes BJ down, he is too big and strong for a 172 lb. BJ to push him off.  So, BJ lays there, gassing, being dominated.

After the 1st round, BJ is gassing badly and GSP is just getting warmed up and rolling.  BJ has the smallest gas tank in MMA, and is a virtual 1-round fighter, while GSP has one of the biggest gas tanks ever and could probably go 8 rounds if necessary.  GSP is that strong and good.

It is almost unfair for BJ to have to fight a guy so much bigger.  On fight night, GSP is a small LHW, while BJ is a very small, petite WW.

* Edited at 05.18.2012, 11:00 AM ET *

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

05.18.2012 | 11:08 AM ET

The better fighter? I'm sorry but my money's on Kos in a fight against BJ, BJ beating Kos would put him back into contending status.

GSP vs anyone in the WW division ('cept for Rory) is unfair at this point.

"الله أكبرl"

BabyJesus66
BabyJesus66
  • Predictions:  168  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  33
  • Post Score: 33

05.18.2012 | 11:10 AM ET

If Penn comes back he'll definitely be in good shape. I dont see why you would come back and not be in good shape. If hes a normal guy he wont want to be embarassed so he will come prepared and Kos will have no chance

Page 3

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : IBJJF San Jose Spring Open 2024 Produces Entertaining Highlights
  • Jits Magazine : 20 BJJ Basics, Concepts And Philosophy You Must Know
  • Bad Left Hook : Charlo finally stripped of WBC middleweight title, Adames elevated
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Dana White Busts FedEX Driver In NYC
  • Middle Easy : Colby Covington Denies Receiving Contract Offer for Ian Garry Fight: ‘He’s Trying to Get Clickbait’
  • Middle Easy : Sean O’Malley Paid More in Taxes Than He Made From Fighting in the UFC Last Year
  • MMA Junkie : USA TODAY Sports/MMA Junkie rankings, May 7: Jose Aldo returns to top 10
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Details Impromptu Wrestling Match with Alex Pereira, Weighs in on Potential Fight Between ‘Poatan’ and Jon Jones
  • MMA Junkie : Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal 2 shifted to July 6, avoids UFC 302 conflict
  • MMA Junkie : Report: Jermall Charlo arrested for DWI after crashing car
  • MMA Mania : Masvidal-Diaz 2 Delayed To Avoid Scheduling Conflict
  • MMA Junkie : Colby Covington denies contract offer for Ian Machado Garry: 'This fight has not been presented'
  • MMA Mania : Sticking Around! ‘This Is The Best I’ve Felt’
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘It’s only a few pounds north’: Vergil Hunter talks possibility of Naoya Inoue taking on Gervonta Davis
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘It’s only a few pounds north’: Vergil Hunter talks possibility of Inoue facing Tank
  • MMA Junkie : Saudi Arabia announces extended partnership with UFC, including pay-per-view sponsorship
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 303: McGregor vs. Chandler adds undefeated prospect to lineup
  • MMA Mania : ‘What I’m Going To Do To McGregor Is Going To Warrant’ Retirement
  • MMA Junkie : Chael Sonnen makes case for Jose Aldo title shot after UFC 301
  • Middle Easy : ‘A Lot Of Jealousy,’ Sean O’Malley On What Sparked Conor McGregor’s Twitter Tantrum Towards ‘Suga’