Tapology Forums

MACHIDA-EVANS 2 NOW, RIGHT?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

AnthonyBrancato
AnthonyBrancato
  • Predictions:  9,844  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  642
  • Post Score: 58

04.22.2012 | 6:53 AM ET

What else is there to do with either of them?

Jon Jones is definitely fighting Hendo, Shogun and Rampage have committed to rematching, Alexander Gustafsson will presumably fight Ryan Bader next, and Phil Davis will presumably fight Thiago Silva next.

So I say look for the Rashad-Machida rematch to become the main event at UFC On Fox 4 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles on August 4th.

"MMA Fan Since Season 2 Of The Ultimate Fighter"

Responses Page 2

lbj6
lbj6
  • Predictions:  3,615  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,025
  • Post Score: 210

04.23.2012 | 1:38 AM ET

@judo haha ok i gotcha. well in that case i'd love to see that ****! i can't even imagine what suga would look like at ww

"get outta my face man! i gotta go get drunk"-Rampage

JudoRandori
JudoRandori

04.23.2012 | 1:51 AM ET

If he fought at middleweight Munoz would be a good match, I think. I am a huge Munoz fan though, just love the guy. I was looking forward to him jacking Bisping up. Seriously. The only guy I like LESS than Koscheck is Bisping. Speaking of old school TUF, where the hell is Swick?!
putaforkinya
putaforkinya
  • Predictions:  10,025  |  59.2%
  • Forum Posts:  736
  • Post Score: 236

04.23.2012 | 7:11 AM ET

if rashad tries to stand again he loses.  if he gets smart and uses his wrestling like he should have the first time he has a very good chance of pulling off the UD.  either way this fight has my vote

" holy **** did you see that?, baddest ***********er ever, hooooly ****" -Dana White seconds after Silva KO'd Vitor

current
current
  • Predictions:  311  |  58.5%
  • Forum Posts:  8
  • Post Score: 263

04.23.2012 | 11:26 AM ET

I'd like to see Evans vs. Thiago.
Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

04.24.2012 | 9:00 PM ET

I like Rashad vs. Shogun and Machida vs. Gustafsson.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

AnthonyBrancato
AnthonyBrancato
  • Predictions:  9,844  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  642
  • Post Score: 58

04.25.2012 | 1:06 PM ET

While my stand on Rashad and 185 is so well-known around here that the vast majority of you are sick of hearing about it (!), let me play devil's advocate to my own argument for a moment:

I have Rashad at #5 on my LHW rankings at present, on the grounds that Hendo beat Shogun, who beat Machida (true, they split two fights, but the decision in the first one was so obviously bogus that an immediate rematch was ordered, in which Shogun wiped the floor with him), who beat Rashad.  But if Rashad now does rematch Machida and wins, I will zoom Rashad all the way up to #2, over Hendo (assuming of course Hendo does lose to Jones) based on his win over Rampage and Hendo's loss to Rampage; over Shogun based on Rashad's 1-0 record vs. Forrest to Shogun's 1-1, and over Machida based on Rashad's win over Rampage and Machida's loss thereto.

Can you honestly justify moving out of a weight class you're ranked #2 in?  Nathan Marquardt was ranked either #3 or #4 by everyone at 185 at the time he announced that he was moving down to 170; but doing it from #2 would be unprecedented so far as I can tell.

"MMA Fan Since Season 2 Of The Ultimate Fighter"

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

04.25.2012 | 1:08 PM ET

dropping weight classes after a loss is the ***** way out.

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

t0rch
t0rch
  • Predictions:  5,787  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,658
  • Post Score: 208

04.25.2012 | 4:13 PM ET

Go ahead and tell Brian Stann that.

"I would agree with you, but then we would both be wrong."

JustynOfOsiris
JustynOfOsiris
  • Predictions:  4,334  |  57.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,239
  • Post Score: 122

04.25.2012 | 4:26 PM ET

Personally I have been waiting to see Rashad fight Shogun for quite some time. That's what I wanna see next.
I think Machida needs to take a step down in competition and maybe fight someone like Phil Davis. 

"Is reality really realistic?"

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

04.25.2012 | 6:02 PM ET

You could always have a Bonnar/Machida re-match to try to re-juvinate Machida's career or maybe the Janitor if you want to see him take a small step down and build back up?

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

04.25.2012 | 7:55 PM ET

1. Machida doesn't deserve to fight Rashad at this point.
2. Machida had his chance to fight Rashad and claimed his wife wouldn't let him.
3. Give Machida Gustaffson.

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

Lopati
Lopati

04.25.2012 | 8:05 PM ET

Torch, I have no issue telling Florian, Maia, Stann, Mighty Mouse, Rashad if he drops, marquardt any of them.  

I am sorry but dropping a weight class isn't gonna guarantee anyone a title, Dominic Cruz excluded.  Not everyone can be the CHAMP.  Cutting weight isn't gonna improve your skill set, just going to give you a size advantage.  IF your skills are subpar, regardless of the weight class you will not win titles.  Improve your skills is a better reaction to a loss than dropping a weight class.

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

04.25.2012 | 8:09 PM ET

@lopati I get what you're saying and sort of agree, but most fighters will say when skills are equal size matters most 

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

Lopati
Lopati

04.25.2012 | 8:29 PM ET

For me I think it is weak, I mean Rashad hadn't had less than an hour to digest his 2nd UFC loss and the press is already hounding him about dropping to 185.  Are we being serious here?  If Rashad has to drop a weight class to win a title maybe its not in the cards for him anymore and who is to say that he will win a title, maybe the weight cut is too much for him he comes in with no cardio, hell maybe he can't even make the target weight and comes in heavy.  

I think there are guys that are undersized for a weight class and may be better suited off at a lower one, Mighty Mouse may be an example, but if you lose in a title fight you are a top 5 (typically) and sometimes considered the #2 guy in a weight class. If the #2 guy in a weight class has to drop doesn't everyone since surely he beat some of them to get the title shot??  

**** why doesn't every MW not named Chael Sonnen drop down to welterweight because I don't see any of them taking that strap from Anderson.  Hell they will anyway if they get the opportunity to fight him, so might as well save us all some time.  Have the LHW's drop to MW since none of them are beating Jones and maybe then they can have  a shot against Anderson.  

t0rch
t0rch
  • Predictions:  5,787  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,658
  • Post Score: 208

04.25.2012 | 9:21 PM ET

I agree with people like Marquardt not dropping weight, but when 185 naturally fits a person like Rashad, why shouldn't it be a consideration? He has said on previous occasions that he could easily drop to 185 he just never wanted to. Heck I'd like to see him and shogun drop to 185. Make 185 interesting for once. Belfort dropped to 185 and no one seemed to have a problem with it. 

"I would agree with you, but then we would both be wrong."

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

04.25.2012 | 9:36 PM ET

Honestly, I'm still not convinced that Nate Marquardt could make 170. The guy is a ******* monster, how would he?

"الله أكبرl"

haven
haven
  • Predictions:  94,655  |  52.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,030
  • Post Score: 188

04.25.2012 | 9:51 PM ET

machda kick is ass

"i like mma and the tapology"

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : 5 biggest takeaways from UFC 301: Anthony Smith teaches another lesson in misplaced doubt
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo discusses next career move after fighting out contract at UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : Michel Pereira responds to UFC 301 criticism: ‘That’s the risk, but I’m the risk-taker’
  • MMA Junkie : Video: The Rock posts MMA training footage in preparation for role in 'The Smashing Machine'
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Shelby's Shoes: What's next for free agent Jose Aldo after UFC 301 win?
  • MMA Mania : Pound For Pound #1 Vs. ‘The #1 Money Man’
  • MMAFighting.com : Shogun Rua announced for 2024 UFC Hall of Fame class
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch The Rock begin MMA training for Mark Kerr biopic ‘The Smashing Machine’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 winner Mauricio Ruffy warns Islam Makhachev 'a new king is coming' after debut
  • MMAFighting.com : Alexandre Pantoja reacts to UFC 301 win, ‘watershed moment’ in flyweight division
  • MMA Junkie : Mick Maynard's Shoes: What's next for Alexandre Pantoja after UFC 301 title defense?
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 main card announced
  • MMA Mania : ‘Suga’ To Mac: ‘Send Jet For A Quick Spar’
  • MMA Mania : O’Malley Accepts Mac’s Challenge: ‘Send Jet For A Quick Spar’
  • MMA Junkie : Alexandre Pantoja: UFC 301 a 'watershed moment' for flyweights
  • MMAFighting.com : Jose Aldo reacts to free agency, possibly skipping line to fight Sean O’Malley after UFC 301 win
  • MMA Mania : Pantoja To Challengers: ‘Bring A Gun’ If You Want To Stop Me
  • MMAFighting.com : Ryan Garcia tells Jake Paul ‘I would quit boxing’ if steroid accusations are true
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 post-event facts: Michel Pereira joins elite company with eighth straight octagon win
  • MMAFighting.com : Anthony Smith responds to Alex Pereira’s $50,000 challenge: ‘I’ll choke the sh*t out of him’