Topic: UFC 297

UFC 297: Strickland vs. Du Plessis

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,323
  • Post Score: 47

10.04.2023 | 3:02 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 297
  • Saturday 01.20.2024 at 06:30 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: Scotiabank Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Dominick Cruz, Daniel Cormier
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Daniel Cormier
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $7,898,695
  • Attendance: 18,559
  • MMA Bouts: 12
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Dricus Du Plessis   defeats   Sean Strickland   via Decision, Split   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Raquel Pennington   defeats   Mayra Bueno Silva   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Neil Magny   defeats   Mike Malott   via KO/TKO, Ground and Pound   4:45 Round 3 of 3, 14:45 Total Bout Page
Chris Curtis   defeats   Marc-André Barriault   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Movsar Evloev   defeats   Arnold Allen   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Garrett Armfield   defeats   Brad Katona   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Sean Woodson   defeats   Charles Jourdain   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Ramon Taveras   defeats   Serhiy Sidey   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Gillian Robertson   defeats   Polyana Viana   via KO/TKO, Ground Strikes From Back Mount   3:12 Round 2 of 3, 8:12 Total Bout Page
Sam Patterson   defeats   Yohan Lainesse   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   2:03 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Jasmine Jasudavicius   defeats   Priscila Cachoeira   via Submission, D'arce Choke   4:21 Round 3 of 3, 14:21 Total Bout Page
Jimmy Flick   defeats   Malcolm Gordon   via Submission, Arm Triangle Choke   1:17 Round 2 of 3, 6:17 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 25

grayerman
grayerman
  • Predictions:  847  |  64.0%
  • Forum Posts:  575
  • Post Score: 63

01.17.2024 | 1:22 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 0 Perfect, 315 Points   |   Tied for 1964th

@foppa420 
I'm down for some exciting scrambles

"He's Terrence Thornton, I'm Terrence Crawford, yeah i'm whooping feet"

Mr_Moon
Mr_Moon

01.17.2024 | 1:24 PM ET

Embedded Episode 3

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 350 Points   |   Tied for 1401st

I’m very confused with the interaction between Strickland and Du Plessis at the beginning of episode 3 of embedded.
Theo14
Theo14
  • Predictions:  857  |  60.0%
  • Forum Posts:  25
  • Post Score: 80

01.17.2024 | 1:28 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 0 Perfect, 300 Points   |   Tied for 2265th

@baremaras 
everything is a facade with these guys. Whose ego is fragile enough to put the time/effort into alt accounts with alt predictions. They bounce around and play every parlay they can afford. So much wasted energy in defiling themselves.

"Always Fight Never Flight"

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise
  • Predictions:  16,264  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  32,362
  • Post Score: 89

01.17.2024 | 1:39 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 370 Points   |   Tied for 1102nd

@foppa o saw that same video. Defintely impressive but it’s not like he was beating up some elite level black belts. It was some guys from the local Gracie Bart’s gym 

"“Unfortunately you can’t talk like that on FOX” - Joe Rogan"

CoachWoljalaharski
CoachWoljalaharski
  • Predictions:  721  |  64.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4
  • Post Score: 300

01.17.2024 | 1:59 PM ET

Jourdain Woodson

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 340 Points   |   Tied for 1554th

I'm having a harder time with this fight than I think I should be. Jourdain's a better more crisp striker than Woodson, and Jourdain's made good improvements to his game but Woodson's got a huge height and reach advantage. 

Joudain is smaller for the Featherweight division. I also worry about Jourdain's ability to get the fight to the ground, in order to win by submission, so he'd either need to out-volume Woodson or find his chin (which is definitely possible). 

A lot of folks on here are saying Jourdain is a lock. Am I thinking too hard about it?
grayerman
grayerman

01.17.2024 | 2:18 PM ET

@Mr_Moon 
I think Sean is "losing" these exchanges

Dixgo514
Dixgo514
  • Predictions:  5,274  |  80.0%
  • Forum Posts:  238
  • Post Score: 197

01.17.2024 | 2:20 PM ET

Predictions: 4 of 12 Winners, 0 Perfect, 215 Points   |   Tied for 4407th

@CoachWoljalaharski 
There's no locks in that card, there's still some risk of losing for the Canadian fighters, at the end of the day, the sport MMA is a very volatile & unpredictable sport. Also most of them are all fighting with minor injuries or major injuries.

Jourdain is the fav for his recent performance compared to Woodson, you're right about Woodson's reach and height does play a factor but also the skill sets are important.

You're not thinking too hard, it's just an unpredictable sport

"Egyptians, Greeks, Samurais, American boxers turned martial arts in science... I am the the next stage"

grayerman
grayerman

01.17.2024 | 2:24 PM ET

Sticking with my Rocky pick. I like a quiet underdog

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise
  • Predictions:  16,264  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  32,362
  • Post Score: 89

01.17.2024 | 2:34 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 370 Points   |   Tied for 1102nd

I just want to know what goofy mf bet Malcolm Gordon up to -200

"“Unfortunately you can’t talk like that on FOX” - Joe Rogan"

bokTHEman
bokTHEman
  • Predictions:  2,470  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  100
  • Post Score: 77

01.17.2024 | 2:57 PM ET

Predictions: 3 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 200 Points   |   Tied for 4960th

@CoachWoljalaharski 
no I’m going back and forth too the best dogs on the card are Allen and Woodson

"Smesh "

UncleSocrates
UncleSocrates
  • Predictions:  1,060  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  164
  • Post Score: 184

01.17.2024 | 3:03 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 3 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 175 Points   |   Tied for 5123rd

Strickland vs. Du Plessis
Sean Strickland, TKO, R4
**** I’m excited for this one, DDP is constant action and Strickland will not shy away especially given the build up now. DDP is very dangerous especially early and somehow just always finds a way to win no matter how gassed he is. I do think he is live for a KO here if he can pressure Strickland enough and keep him on the backfoot. That being said we have not seen DDP go 5 rounds before and he has gassed out in multiple 3 round fights. I trust Strickland’d ability to defend takedowns, use his striking defense to avoid the chaos on the feet, and take over in the later rounds to find a finish. Strickland’s gas tank is not going to run out, so that combined with his defense will win him this fight. If Sean ego brawls emotionally with Dricus he will get finished though, hopefully he listens to Nicksick and fights his fight here.

Pennington vs. Bueno Silva
Mayra Bueno Silva, SUB, R3
I favor Silva here. She is just overall the more dangerous fighter everywhere, especially on the ground. I see Pennington playing into Mayra’s game by closing distance to dirty box where Mayra can use this clinch to work to the ground and also use her Muay thai which is nice. Pennington won’t roll over and lose but I do think Silva has her way

Magny vs. Malott
Mike Malott, SUB, R2
Not sure why but feel this could be a potential fraud check. Not saying Malott is a fraud but not sure he deserves to be this large of a favorite over a vet like Magny at this point in his career. The strength of schedule is night and day between Malott and Magny. That being said I think Malott can implement his gameplan and find a submission here since Magny has been a bit susceptible there recently. Definitely not betting on this one though.

Curtis vs. Barriault
Chris Curtis, DEC
Great spot for Curtis here. MAB will play right into Curt’s game, pressure and volume forward allowing for Curtis to counter. I think Curtis’ chin, cardio, and slick boxing will get him the win here and possibly a late finish

Allen vs. Evloev
Arnold Allen, DEC
I like Allen at this spot. I think he will be able to defend enough of Evloev’s takedowns and will be outstrike him and cause more damage. Movsar does have good standup but at times gets caught up in firefights in certain moments like in the Lopes fight. I don’t see a finish in this fight and think Allen will cause more damage and have more success on the feet leading to a UD

Katona vs. Armfield
Brad Katona, DEC
Hard fight to pick, Armfield hits hard and is a good wrestler. Katona on the other hand is very well rounded and I think he was implement a good gameplan. He’s a very cerebral fighter and will find the decision, Canadian judges could help sway a decision too

Jourdain vs. Woodson
Charles Jourdain, TKO, R3
Woodson’s 140 inch reach makes this interesting and he does have great hands and especially body work but Jourdain has fought at reach disadvantages before. Jourdain’s td is good and I think he continually pressures and eventually breaks Woodson.

Sidey vs. Taveras II
Serhiy Sidey, TKO, R2
Another tough one, early but not horrible stoppage in the first dwcs fight. I think Taveras is a solid dog betting wise in this one bc he has really clean and heavy hands but I honestly don’t see this going much differently from the first time. Serhiy’s game is more well rounded and he can shoot on Taveras freely bc he doesn’t throw anything besides punches for the most part

Robertson vs. Viana
Gillian Robertson, SUB, R1
I rate Robertson highly, really slick bjj and I think Viana’s ground game is overrated. Gillian takes her down and finds an early sub

Lainesse vs. Patterson
Yohan Lainesse, TKO, R1
This one is tough for me, Yohan does not do much well at all and has horrible cardio but Patterson’s chin and more importantly his striking defense is abysmal. Maybe his chin fairs better up a weight class but I think this move up will hurt his chances of getting this to the ground because of the size difference, Yohan is a big 70. I think Yohan finds the chin early and finishes but if this gets to the ground Patterson finds the sub

Jasudavicius vs. Cachoeira
Jasmine Jasudavicius, DEC
Cachoeira is pretty much ko or bust in this one and Jasmine’s chin is great. I see her winning this pretty easily and possibly getting a late finish too

Gordon vs. Flick
Malcolm Gordon, DEC
Not a huge fan of either of these guys but Gordon at least does the right things, will have a good enough ground game to get up/survive if it gets where Flick is most dangerous (the ground), and Flick just doesn’t do enough for me. Line movement on this one has been very interesting as well

"."

borna010
borna010
  • Predictions:  89  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1
  • Post Score: -100

01.17.2024 | 3:34 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 3 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 200 Points   |   Tied for 4960th

Strickland vs. Du Plessis
Dricus Du Plessis, TKO, R2
Easyyyy

Pennington vs. Bueno Silva
Raquel Pennington, DEC
snooze fest

Magny vs. Malott
Mike Malott, DEC
homeboy

Robertson vs. Viana
Polyana Viana, TKO, R2
can't go against Viana

shaqalicious023
shaqalicious023
  • Predictions:  494  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  123
  • Post Score: 76

01.17.2024 | 3:47 PM ET

Analysis and predictions video for Balkan fans

Drmaxis2
Drmaxis2
  • Predictions:  2,834  |  70.9%
  • Forum Posts:  558
  • Post Score: 478

01.17.2024 | 5:11 PM ET

Predictions: 3 of 9 Winners, 0 Perfect, 150 Points   |   Tied for 5455th

War Strick and war Dric. Both are great

"What a Grand and Intoxicating Profile"

gliese58i
gliese58i
  • Predictions:  1,424  |  65.0%
  • Forum Posts:  10,661
  • Post Score: 128

01.17.2024 | 5:13 PM ET

"She’ll go there and smash her. She’ll get a title shot, become a UFC champion. We have a Ronda Rousey on steroids. This is what we have.” - Ali Abdelaziz on Kayla Harrison

Dixgo514
Dixgo514
  • Predictions:  5,274  |  80.0%
  • Forum Posts:  238
  • Post Score: 197

01.17.2024 | 5:19 PM ET

@gilese58i

Predictions: 4 of 12 Winners, 0 Perfect, 215 Points   |   Tied for 4407th

**** that's sad, that was a stupid bet tho 😂

"Egyptians, Greeks, Samurais, American boxers turned martial arts in science... I am the the next stage"

gliese58i
gliese58i
  • Predictions:  1,424  |  65.0%
  • Forum Posts:  10,661
  • Post Score: 128

01.17.2024 | 5:22 PM ET

@Diddy514

A perfectly reasonable bet if you don't think odds matters as you'll hear people say on Tap fairly often. Just pick the winner right?

"She’ll go there and smash her. She’ll get a title shot, become a UFC champion. We have a Ronda Rousey on steroids. This is what we have.” - Ali Abdelaziz on Kayla Harrison

unoshowtenuno
unoshowtenuno
  • Predictions:  5,672  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  209
  • Post Score: 92

01.17.2024 | 6:54 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Robertson vs. Viana
Gillian Robertson, SUB
Another grappler vs striker match up, similar to Jazzy vs Cachoeira. Polyana is statistically the best finisher at 115, having ended ALL of her fights by either KO or sub. Unfortunately, she's also similar to Priscila in that she's vulnerable to grappling and struggles against opponents she can't finish (going 0-4 in decisions). Robertson is the kind of fighter who should be able to exploit those weaknesses against Viana, as she's one of the stronger female top game grapplers. Robertson herself has struggled to win decisions, going 2-6, but has generally only lost to women who can match her wrestling/JJ. Viana lacks the wrestling to keep this where she needs to, so I think Robertson is the smart pick here. Viana winning this fight is more likely to me than Priscila vs Jazzy, but she's a finish or bust type of fighter. For Robertson, she can end this by sub and is more likely to grind out a decision than Viana. My pick is Robertson by sub, but taking her by decision would also be a good idea. Hedge with Viana ITD/by TKO or Sub.

Jasudavicius vs. Cachoeira
Jasmine Jasudavicius, DEC
Priscila is one of the most dangerous female fighters, with legit KO power. On the flipside, she's one of the most one dimensional female fighters and doesn't really have many layers to her game. Wrestling/BJJ has been a glaring weakness in her game since she came to the UFC. Jasmine is a big, strong grappler with competent striking and good durability. On paper, all she really needs to do is avoid the range striking battle, brawl her way into the clinch and control Priscila with her grappling. Jazzy by decision is my pick.

* Edited at 01.17.2024, 6:55 PM ET *

"We are all one"

MMAparlay69
MMAparlay69
  • Predictions:  391  |  82.1%
  • Forum Posts:  619
  • Post Score: -18

01.17.2024 | 7:24 PM ET

Gliese is the new deli boy?

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 0 Perfect, 300 Points   |   Tied for 2265th

Wouldn’t listen to anything @gliese says his pick rate percentage similar to his IQ.. fade everything he says..
This user is suspended from posting until 8 months, 3 weeks, 5 days, 10 hours, and 49 minutes from now.
Latrel Dog
Latrel Dog
  • Predictions:  1,159  |  65.4%
  • Forum Posts:  808
  • Post Score: 159

01.17.2024 | 9:33 PM ET

@MMAparlay69

Predictions: 5 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 290 Points   |   Tied for 2566th

Gliesi is undoubtedly one of the best at betting on dogs here on Tap. You would be stupid to not listen to what he says. 

Page 25

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Meet UFC Vegas 92’s ‘Miracle’
  • MMA Junkie : Rising Japanese star Tatsuro Taira books first UFC main event vs. Alex Perez on June 15
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL announces dates, locations for 2024 playoffs
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media
  • MMA Mania : Rampage Vs. Briggs Falls Apart Amid Promoter Fraud Concerns
  • MMA Junkie : Bellator champion Patchy Mix: 'I can't get the respect that Sean O'Malley has'
  • MMAFighting.com : Alex Perez vs. Tatsuro Taira now expected to headline UFC event on June 15
  • MMA Mania : ‘My Dream Was To Become Champion’
  • MMA Junkie : 'Age doesn't matter': Mike Tyson, Jake Paul discuss experience vs. youth dynamic of boxing match
  • MMAFighting.com : Alex Pereira shows menace, humor in new Topps commercial
  • Middle Easy : Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson Presser Highlights: Kid Asks Boxers Who Has Higher ‘Body Count’
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Tyson warns Jake Paul he will be fighting for his life; Paul responds
  • MMA Mania : Shake-Up! Perez Vs. Taira Now Headlines UFC Vegas 93
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Mike Tyson and Jake Paul go nose-to-nose in first Tyson vs. Paul faceoff
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Mike Tyson, Jake Paul have playful faceoff at first press conference in New York
  • MMA Junkie : Colby Covington: Belal Muhammad 'squatting on his ranking,' doesn't deserve UFC title fight
  • Middle Easy : BKFC President David Feldman Talks Conor McGregor’s Fighting Future, Teases Two ‘UFC Legends’ In Talks to Join Promotion
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Would Like To Retire As A World Champion’
  • Middle Easy : Tyson Fury Gives Props To ‘Toughest Man’ Oleksandr Usyk; John Fury Goes Ballistic On Team Usyk
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul press conference video LIVE now