Topic: UFC 294

UFC 294: Makhachev vs. Volkanovski 2

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,372
  • Post Score: 47

03.16.2023 | 11:47 AM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 294
  • Saturday 10.21.2023 at 10:00 AM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN+
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: Etihad Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Paul Felder, Daniel Cormier, Megan Olivi
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Daniel Cormier
  • MMA Bouts: 13
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Islam Makhachev   defeats   Alexander Volkanovski   via KO/TKO, Head Kick and Hammerfists   3:06 Round 1 of 5 Bout Page
Khamzat Chimaev   defeats   Kamaru Usman   via Decision, Majority   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Magomed Ankalaev   vs.   Johnny Walker   Ends in a No Contest, Accidental Illegal Knee   3:13 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Ikram Aliskerov   defeats   Warlley Alves   via KO/TKO, Flying Knee and Punches   2:07 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Said Nurmagomedov   defeats   Muin Gafurov   via Submission, Guillotine Choke   1:13 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Muhammad Mokaev   defeats   Tim Elliott   via Submission, Arm Triangle Choke   3:03 Round 3 of 3, 13:03 Total Bout Page
Trevor Peek   defeats   Mohammad Yahya   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Javid Basharat   vs.   Victor Henry   Ends in a No Contest, Accidental Groin Kick to Henry   0:15 Round 2 of 3, 5:15 Total Bout Page
Sedriques Dumas   defeats   Abu Azaitar   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Mike Breeden   defeats   Anshul Jubli   via KO/TKO, Right Hook   3:00 Round 3 of 3, 13:00 Total Bout Page
Muhammad Naimov   defeats   Nathaniel Wood   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Victoria Dudakova   defeats   Jinh Yu Frey   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Shara Magomedov   defeats   Bruno Silva   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 38

RustyTennakoon
RustyTennakoon
  • Predictions:  1,489  |  68.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,841
  • Post Score: 141

10.20.2023 | 3:14 AM ET

Thoughts on the Prelims

Predictions: 7 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 405 Points   |   Tied for 3779th

I lost everything I typed and I am not typing all that again so I am going to be brief

1. Elliott vs Mokaev
Elliott is a vet. Mokaev is raw with lots of holes in his game including poor top control, questionable cardio and takedown and submission defense. On the feet I think Elliott is the better striker. This could be close and potentially a parlay buster. Bet with caution. I am going to take a flier on the vet with good wrestling, scrambles and striking in light of Mokaev's recent leg injury -Pick - Elliott by decision

2. Peek vs Yahya
I think Peek is better than people are giving him credit for and he is improving. He has good scrambles, cardio and wild but powerful striking. I think he starches Yahya -Pick - Peek by KO

3. Basharat vs Henry
Henry is inconsistent but skilled and has good takedown defense and striking volume. However I think Basharat will find a way to take him down and his forward pressure with the threat of takedowns will likely limit Henry's volume on the feet. I feel he gets the takedowns and controls at least 2 rounds, but this could be close. The odds are crazy.Pick - Basharat by split decision

4. Dumas vs Azaitar
Two terrible fighters. I was listening to some podcasts today and could not believe how many people were picking Dumas because of his grappling upside. Grappling upside? Am I crazy or am I missing something here? I actually think Azaitar is the more skilled and experienced fighter, and he will be fully juiced with Potato Power. His age and cardio does concern me and he could quit if under pressure but I somehow do not feel that they are flying in one of the worst fighters in the UFC all the way to the UAE to beat the King of Morocco's favourite. No confidence here -Pick - Azaitar by decision

5. Breeden vs Jubli
Jubli is a ridiculously heavy favourite. Are we really that sure he is that good? He has only fought cans and yes he looks ok, not great, ok. But his level of competition? Terrible. And sure Breeden is not really UFC level but is he at the level of Jubli's other wins? I don't know but I would be very careful with this fight. I think it could go to decision. I am picking Jubli but with little confidence -Pick - Jubli by decision

6. Wood vs Naimov
Wood is at a size disadvantage but at a skill and speed advantage. I think his chin is not as bad as people are making out, but at the new weight class this could be a problem against someone with power like Naimov. That said I think Wood basically picks him apart, takes him down and finishes him. Again a difficult fight to bet on because of the concerns that Naimov could catch him with something. The fight does not go the distance could be a good bet.Pick - Wood by submission

7. Dudakova vs Frey
I think Frey is only in the UFC to feed to prospects at this stage. Could Dudakova get exposed at some stage? Sure but I don't think this is it. I think she gets the takedowns and gets the submission- Pick - Dudakova by sub

8. Magomedov vs Silva
Magomedov looks good. But he has one eye which will mess with his distance and depth perception. He also seems very reliant on kicks whereas Silva is a good boxer. I think while Magomedov is the rightful favourite this could go badly for him as Silva is good. I don't trust Silva further than I could throw him though, and I am very suspicious of his fight with GM3, I think that was a very very dodgy performance and would not put it past him to have a similar one against the new flavour of the week. I think this fight could easily hit round 2 or over a round and a half, especially if Silva grapples. I think Magomedov wins though, but I am being very careful betting this fight -Pick - Magomedov by late KO/Decision

Byakuya Kuchiki
Byakuya Kuchiki
  • Predictions:  1,205  |  65.0%
  • Forum Posts:  241
  • Post Score: 159

10.20.2023 | 3:31 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 465 Points   |   Tied for 2515th

Elliott vs. Mokaev
Muhammad Mokaev, DEC
I think this is a very good step up for Mokaev. I won't be surprised if this is the most competitive fight in his UFC career either as Elliott has been in with the best in the division while Mokaev has been facing some good opposition he has yet to face an actual well-rounded UFC veteran.

The most UFC-tested fighter he has faced has been Malcolm Gordon and he was 2-2 at the time Elliot is 8-10 in the promotion but that's 18 fights fighting the best the UFC has to offer.

I still believe that Mokaev is a good prospect he has shown enough to put himself out of the hype category however he still makes mistakes that a fighter like Elliott could take advantage of.

* Edited at 10.20.2023, 3:32 AM ET *

"Confident to go in and not necessarily prove people wrong but to prove my support correct"

Griffo420
Griffo420
  • Predictions:  482  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  120
  • Post Score: 162

10.20.2023 | 4:06 AM ET

PARLAY BOYS - TAPOLOGY EDITION

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 2 Perfect, 555 Points   |   Tied for 530th

Alright no better fight week than this week to start a tapology parlay...

Now i've taken the liberty to choose the first 4 people to take part. 
@el222 

@AyyLmaonnaise 

@DamienHandel420 

@Vandal 

Some top ufc ranked handicappers here, hope people like the idea! Bit of fun and could even be fairly profitable  šŸ‘€šŸ‘€

UFC_1
UFC_1
  • Predictions:  1,163  |  66.8%
  • Forum Posts:  372
  • Post Score: 62

10.20.2023 | 4:10 AM ET

Chimaev and Mokaev is real

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 2 Perfect, 500 Points   |   Tied for 1719th

Mokaev sparred with Pantoja without conceding to him and he highly appreciated his level and said that there were good chances to become a champion.
Chimaev easy beat and sub Strikland on sparring.

* Edited at 10.20.2023, 4:35 AM ET *

Byakuya Kuchiki
Byakuya Kuchiki

10.20.2023 | 5:11 AM ET

Sedriques Dumas vs. Abu Azaitar

Please can someone give me a better image of this fight? 

I only ever saw Dumas's UFC debut when he basically **** the bed against Josh Fremd (which I voted for with the rest of the 9% on tapology #NeverForgetJosh) ever since then I didn't really keep track of him however since then he has picked up a win. 

Abu Azaitar seems way more experienced however he is coming off a lengthy layoff but has faced opponents similar to Dumas before. 

I want to go with Abu Azaitar but I don't know enough about him and if Dumas actually improved since his debut loss. 

* Edited at 10.20.2023, 5:34 AM ET *

"Confident to go in and not necessarily prove people wrong but to prove my support correct"

Vandal
Vandal
  • Predictions:  4,492  |  71.3%
  • Forum Posts:  840
  • Post Score: 98

10.20.2023 | 5:31 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 4 Perfect, 615 Points   |   Tied for 101st

Breeden, Dudakova missed weight
Byakuya Kuchiki
Byakuya Kuchiki

10.20.2023 | 5:39 AM ET

@Vandal 
Apparently he missed by 4 pounds which is crazy. 
Second time in his UFC run that he has missed weight Dana finna fire him out a cannon at this point. 

Vandal
Vandal

10.20.2023 | 5:57 AM ET

Looks like he has nothing to lose, still I'm struggling to pick Jubli by ko lol, just not used to "fighters from India"

* Edited at 10.20.2023, 6:04 AM ET *

CrimsonChinGuru
CrimsonChinGuru
  • Predictions:  3,163  |  64.1%
  • Forum Posts:  10,639
  • Post Score: 108

10.20.2023 | 6:19 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 505 Points   |   Tied for 1508th

Dudakova stopped cutting at like .6 over?? Wow ***.

"They killed Jesus for speaking the truth..."

Parlay Boss
Parlay Boss
  • Predictions:  123  |  69.9%
  • Forum Posts:  179
  • Post Score: -1

10.20.2023 | 6:30 AM ET

Purse deduction

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 455 Points   |   Tied for 2729th

Dudakova and Breeden are forfeiting 20% and 30% of their purse respectively, which go to their opponents as penalty for missing weight.

* Edited at 10.20.2023, 12:22 PM ET *

"You are an infection. You are the definition of weakness. Everything that is wrong with the world is because of ******* you." - Strickland

CrimsonChinGuru
CrimsonChinGuru
  • Predictions:  3,163  |  64.1%
  • Forum Posts:  10,639
  • Post Score: 108

10.20.2023 | 6:36 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 505 Points   |   Tied for 1508th

Jubli accepted the fight, still haven't seen fight confirmed to be happening.

Last I heard Breeden was needing to be medically cleared still. 

"They killed Jesus for speaking the truth..."

GoatChael
GoatChael
  • Predictions:  328  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  184
  • Post Score: 154

10.20.2023 | 6:56 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 5 Perfect, 615 Points   |   Tied for 101st

@Byakuya Kuchiki 
Azaitar is actually a pretty solid fighter or at least he used to be, as he's only fought twice in the past 7 years, which is crazy if you consider that even Conor fought twice as much in the same time period. Also he didn't look as good as he used to in his last fight which he lost really bad (besides the first round) against Barriault who was 0-3 (1 NC) in the UFC at that point and he is 1-1 in the UFC overall.
Can't say much about Dumas tbh as I didn't really follow his career but his numbers look solid and he's been pretty active. Would be happy for Abu if he'd pull it off but I think he's just been way too inactive to beat a hungry young guy like Dumas.

* Edited at 10.20.2023, 7:03 AM ET *

VicStrk
VicStrk
  • Predictions:  3,126  |  69.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,562
  • Post Score: 210

10.20.2023 | 7:30 AM ET

I'm not shocked. Is normal guys.

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 2 Perfect, 515 Points   |   Tied for 1248th

So dudakova and Breeden missed weight ? What's the big deal ?

One thing i learned after the last ufc card is that you can do that a few times if you want to. Trade in a percentage of your purse to get a advantage in the fight if you care more about winning and getting closer to the title than money right now.

4 pounds over the limit ? Stopped cutting weight super early and saved yourself for the fight ? No problem if you just don't do it to much and let's hope that your opponent still wants to fight you.

Christian rodriguez missed weight 3 out of his last 7 fights, 2 times in a row in the last 2 fights. The last card he was 5 pounds over weight, won his fight, still progressing in the ufc, no problem.

* Edited at 10.20.2023, 7:30 AM ET *

"This is a rat race...but Iā€™m not a rat. Iā€™m a f*ckinā€™ turtle, ninja turtle. So which one is your favorite? I like Michelangelo....next question - Tony Ferguson"

Byakuya Kuchiki
Byakuya Kuchiki

10.20.2023 | 7:45 AM ET

@GoatChael 
Thanks and also Tito did tap we all saw it. 

Quickcobalt
Quickcobalt
  • Predictions:  1,096  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  250
  • Post Score: 179

10.20.2023 | 8:05 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 2 Perfect, 475 Points   |   Tied for 2332nd

how has anyone lost to mike breeden there cant be an athletic bone in their body

"I used to f*ck guys like you in high school" - Joseph Benavidez

Vispian
Vispian
  • Predictions:  2,554  |  66.7%
  • Forum Posts:  375
  • Post Score: 174

10.20.2023 | 8:09 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 405 Points   |   Tied for 3779th

@UFC_1 
Tsuruya has sparred with Mokaev and apparently dominated him. Just because they have sparred doesnt really mean anything
Vandal
Vandal

10.20.2023 | 8:27 AM ET

How can you pick Azaitar when he is absolutely inactive
AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise
  • Predictions:  16,309  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  32,381
  • Post Score: 89

10.20.2023 | 8:27 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 2 Perfect, 580 Points   |   Tied for 272nd

Breeden does construction work when heā€™s not fighting. Bum is going to sleep 

"ā€œUnfortunately you canā€™t talk like that on FOXā€ - Joe Rogan"

DdogMMA
DdogMMA
  • Predictions:  1,627  |  64.6%
  • Forum Posts:  165
  • Post Score: 139

10.20.2023 | 8:28 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 475 Points   |   Tied for 2320th

Makhachev vs. Volkanovski II
Islam Makhachev, DEC
Islam isn't subbing or knocking Alex out. If Ortega didn't put Volk out in that triangle then nobody is doing it. Islam should win but this fight will be super close and so hard to call. Let's go Volk.

Usman vs. Chimaev
Khamzat Chimaev, TKO, R1
Chimaev early ground and pound win. I want Usman to win but I think he ragdolls Usman. Hope I'm wrong.

Ankalaev vs. Walker
Johnny Walker, TKO, R1
Walker is gonna go crazy in round 1 like he used to do and Ankalaev won't wrestle and he will get clipped. Ankalaev can make this look easy but of course he won't. Gotta take a shot on Johnny with my pick.

Aliskerov vs. Alves
Ikram Aliskerov, SUB, R2
Alves will gas out because his cardio is awful and he's coming in on short notice. I truly think Aliskerov is the real deal. His knockout of Phil Hawes was insane.

Nurmagomedov vs. Gafurov
Said Nurmagomedov, DEC
Gafurov isn't that good and Said will beat him up anyway he wants.

Elliott vs. Mokaev
Muhammad Mokaev, DEC
I think Tim will be good enough defensively to not get submitted and I think this fight is gonna be way closer than expected but I lean Mokaev

Yahya vs. Peek
Trevor Peek, TKO, R1
Yahya is terrible. Peak has awful MMA skills but his striking is wild and he's gonna KO Mohammad.

Basharat vs. Henry
Javid Basharat, DEC
This fight will be closer than people expect because it's super hard to finish Henry and he's a dog. Henry will lose but stay safe from subs.

Dumas vs. Azaitar
Sedriques Dumas, TKO, R1
Dumas will get in his face early and knock him out.

Jubli vs. Breeden
Anshul Jubli, TKO, R1
I've never picked Breeden in a UFC fight and I'm still not picking him here. Jubli should roll.

Wood vs. Naimov
Nathaniel Wood, DEC
Wood is way better but Naimov has that fight ending power. I do think Wood can make this look easy if he stays out of the way of the power shots.

Yu Frey vs. Dudakova
Victoria Dudakova, DEC
Dudakova will win a dominant decision with her wrestling. Frey is on her way out but a good test for Victoria.

Silva vs. Magomedov
Sharabutdin Magomedov, TKO, R2
I was gonna pick Silva to win just because he has tons of experience in and outside of the UFC but I can't. Silva is way too inconsistent and I think Magomedov is gonna hurt him with kicks to the body early and then finish him with a huge punch shortly after. Silva is a dog though and if he's on his game then I wouldn't be shocked at an upset.

RichOsama
RichOsama
  • Predictions:  1,818  |  64.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,204
  • Post Score: 47

10.20.2023 | 8:50 AM ET

Ddog

Agree with everything but Walker. Guy couldn't finish a broken Anthony Smith. He's too gunshy anymore. 

Page 38

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Davi Ramos To Fight For Lightweight Title At ACA 176
  • Jits Magazine : 20 Best Submission Grapplers of the Modern Era You Must Know
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Burns Vs. Buckley? ā€˜I Never Say Noā€™
  • UFC.com : Edson Barbozaā€™s UFC Career Highlights
  • MMA Junkie : USA TODAY Sports/MMA Junkie rankings, May 14: Joaquin Buckley making waves at welterweight
  • MMA Mania : Cormier = Aspinall? ā€˜It Wasnā€™t The Same Thing, Budā€™
  • MMA Junkie : Esteban Ribovics surprised he didn't get $50K bonus for Terrance McKinney KO: 'What more do I need to do?'
  • Middle Easy : Video ā€“ Alex Pereira Scares Off Customers Trading In His Cards at Topps Hobby Shop
  • Middle Easy : Ronda Rousey Accused Brendan Schaub of ā€˜Playing F*cked-Up Mind Gamesā€™ During Their Relationship
  • MMA Junkie : 'This is MMA': UFC's Waldo Cortes-Acosta responds to 'unfair' criticism of Robelis Despaigne win
  • MMA Mania : Masvidal Explains Boxing Match Date Change: ā€˜Nateā€™s A Fā€”king Idiotā€™
  • MMAFighting.com : Amanda Lemos vs. Virna Jandiroba slated for UFC Fight Night event in July
  • MMA Junkie : Daniel Cormier on Ronda Rousey's concussion history revelation: 'All she's doing is telling her truth'
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 303 gets new heavyweight addition for McGregor vs. Chandler fight card
  • Middle Easy : Road House Sequel Officially Greenlit by Amazon Studios with Jake Gyllenhaal Set to Reprise His Role
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Responds To Jon Jonesā€™ ā€˜Championā€™ Jab: ā€˜Not A Real Indication Of What Was Going Onā€™
  • UFC.com : The Full Story: Ramiz Brahimaj
  • MMA Mania : Schaub ā€˜Didnā€™t Want To Be Labeled Rondaā€™s Rouseyā€™s Boyfriendā€™
  • MMA Junkie : MMA Junkie Radio #3462: Patchy Mix Interview, UFC may break records, more
  • MMAFighting.com : John Fury has no regrets about headbutting ā€˜little idiotā€™ on Oleksandr Usykā€™s team: ā€˜Happens every other week for meā€™