Topic: UFC 288

UFC 288: Sterling vs. Cejudo

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,524
  • Post Score: 46

01.25.2023 | 12:22 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 288
  • Saturday 05.06.2023 at 06:30 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: Prudential Center
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Joe Rogan, Daniel Cormier
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $5,182,210
  • Attendance: 17,559
  • MMA Bouts: 12
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Aljamain Sterling   defeats   Henry Cejudo   via Decision, Split   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Belal Muhammad   defeats   Gilbert Burns   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Xiaonan Yan   defeats   Jéssica Andrade   via KO/TKO, Counter Right   2:20 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Movsar Evloev   defeats   Diego Lopes   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Charles Jourdain   defeats   Kron Gracie   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Matt Frevola   defeats   Drew Dober   via KO/TKO, Right Hook to Ground Strikes   4:08 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Kennedy Nzechukwu   defeats   Devin Clark   via Submission, Standing Guillotine Choke   2:28 Round 2 of 3, 7:28 Total Bout Page
Khaos Williams   defeats   Rolando Bedoya   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Virna Jandiroba   defeats   Marina Rodriguez   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Parker Porter   defeats   Braxton Smith   via KO/TKO, Ground and Pound   2:10 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Ikram Aliskerov   defeats   Phil Hawes   via KO/TKO, Right Cross   2:10 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Claudio Ribeiro   defeats   Joseph Holmes   via KO/TKO, Ground and Pound   3:21 Round 2 of 3, 8:21 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 12

broccoliman
broccoliman
  • Predictions:  1,206  |  65.8%
  • Forum Posts:  103
  • Post Score: 158

04.25.2023 | 3:28 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 455 Points   |   Tied for 1061st

I'm not familiar with Rafael Estevam, but I'm surprised to see the picks so lopsided in his favor. Zhalgas' record sucks on paper but he probably should've gotten the wins over Molina and Johnson, and you can argue that he beat Paiva too.

PiggyBank
PiggyBank
  • Predictions:  1,252  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  722
  • Post Score: 259

04.25.2023 | 6:21 PM ET

Predictions: 4 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 265 Points   |   Tied for 4383rd

yeah, it's probably cuz of his record. cheap minds. probably his first loss in coming.

"i "Pick ⛏ Up Truck" all the events on Tapology ! | empty walls of Tapology.... | I don't give a flying F16... | keep ****posting about me... | Get Your Mind Out Of The Gutter... | L☻L | @TARTARABLESS | just let me know... !?"

JReynolds47
JReynolds47
  • Predictions:  13,113  |  72.5%
  • Forum Posts:  7,540
  • Post Score: 13

04.25.2023 | 6:30 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 590 Points   |   Tied for 90th

The odds are close. What are you talking about?

Anyways Zhalgas is 1-5. You can cry robbery all you want but that won't change anything

And with Rafael he's 11-0. Beat and finished real guys. And is much bigger than zhalgas.

Another thing, Zhalgas retired after the Johnson loss. And we all know coming back after quitting the sport likely ends up bad. And that's what I expect. An easy win for Rafael.

"Jarno Errens, Damir Hadzovic"

DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,816  |  66.9%
  • Forum Posts:  7,605
  • Post Score: 261

04.25.2023 | 6:38 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 0 Perfect, 430 Points   |   Tied for 1427th

I'll be honest, I have problems backing fighter who lose so much, I just think it hard to back a guy who 1-5 in the UFC and he's only win is Jerome Rivera, But It's also true Zhalgaz is kinda like Yan, Gastulum, Angela Hill, Bobby Green etc, Their skills are great and even arguable better then the people they're losing too, But they're still losing fight after fight, And who say Zhalgas won't just lose another split decision

"Quack quack quack"

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise
  • Predictions:  16,521  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  32,690
  • Post Score: 89

04.25.2023 | 7:29 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 0 Perfect, 465 Points   |   Tied for 897th

Zhalgas is at a big size disadvantage to 4 inches of height (imo Estevan is more like 5”9 so will be even bigger) and 3.5 inches of reach. Also he’s yet to fight a grappler in the ufc (Ik he fought albazi but that was a striking fight for 15 min) and Estevam happens to be a very good one. His top control is incredibly good

"“Unfortunately you can’t talk like that on FOX” - Joe Rogan"

Osantowski
Osantowski

04.25.2023 | 9:24 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 470 Points   |   Tied for 884th

I know I was initially picking and leaning Cejudo before but something inside me tells me Aljemain is being discounted and overlooked. I think Sterling wins this fight. 5 round fight. Def see Sterling winning two rounds somehow and probably a third. He’s bigger than Cejudo with a massive reach. Been the way more active fighter. Think he wants to prove the world wrong once again. May be the hungrier fighter as well though I know he wants to move up to 145 since the weight cut is massive 
Taybazza04
Taybazza04
  • Predictions:  19,387  |  68.0%
  • Forum Posts:  4,989
  • Post Score: 128

04.25.2023 | 10:41 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 415 Points   |   Tied for 1673rd

Zhalgas is 1-5 but really should be 4-2 he beat Molina, InerG and Paiva and got robbed in all 3.

I got Estevam tho he’s legit. 
CheckLeftHook
CheckLeftHook
  • Predictions:  2,439  |  56.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,023
  • Post Score: 172

04.27.2023 | 12:48 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 0 Perfect, 395 Points   |   Tied for 2166th

Muhammad vs. Burns
Belal Muhammad, TKO, R5
I hate that both were basically forced into this short notice fight by the UFC, I would like to see it if they both had more time to prepare. I think that on paper Belal fights more "safe" or at least he's more defensively oriented and doesn't get too wild, and I think that kind of a style is more consistent at getting the job done. He can grind on Burns and wear him out with wrestling without taking him to the ground, there are ways to just smother him on the fence, kinda like what Burns did to Wonderboy. But given the short notice situations, I honestly think that whoever comes into this fight with an easier weight cut will probably grind out a decision or get a finish in the 4th or 5th rounds.

"🏴 No Quarter Given 🏴"

DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,816  |  66.9%
  • Forum Posts:  7,605
  • Post Score: 261

04.27.2023 | 2:52 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 0 Perfect, 430 Points   |   Tied for 1427th

I think Drew Dober  by KO is the lock of the card, it going to be a brawl and Dober has one of the best chin in the sport history while Frevola has an average chin at best 

Frevola path to victory is to grind out a victory, but Frevola is a kill or be kill fighter, And those fighter don’t beat Dober unless they sub him and Frevola don’t really have submissions 

"Quack quack quack"

Tjl0106
Tjl0106
  • Predictions:  9,674  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  871
  • Post Score: 169

04.29.2023 | 8:55 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 540 Points   |   Tied for 263rd

* Edited at 04.29.2023, 8:55 PM ET *

"I kind of try to focus on the moment, in the present. That’s humility. That’s being humble. That’s not setting no expectation. That’s going out there, enjoying the game, competing at a high level.” - Giannis Antetokounmpo"

Dwood03
Dwood03
  • Predictions:  542  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  7
  • Post Score: 214

04.29.2023 | 8:59 PM ET

Everyone voting Santos over Johnny Munoz?

Predictions: 5 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 290 Points   |   Tied for 4033rd

How is there so many people picking Santos over Munoz??????
AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

04.29.2023 | 10:10 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Santos vs. Munoz Jr.
Johnny Munoz Jr., DEC
This is a good fight; two guys who are talented but fly under the radar in a stacked bantamweight division. However, I’m not totally sold on santos just yet. He got a great win last fight, but one thing people might not know if Castaneda had bronchitis when he fought santos & that affected his performance. If he wasn’t sick, I think he would’ve eventually ko’ed santos. Santos fights with that classic chute boxe Thai style. He’s all aggression, at all times & doesn’t slow down. He has solid Muay Thai & hits hard. His favorite weapon is spinning kicks. I’m not really a big fan of them as they’re often telegraphed & don’t hit. His bjj is really interesting to me; I was very impressed with his use of butterfly hooks to push Castaneda off of him every time he got a takedown. Munoz on the other hand is pretty underrated (imo). His performances haven’t been that exciting, but I like his skillset. He’s a lanky 135er who is primarily a grappler, but has solid striking. Munoz has decent boxing fundamentals, but nothing crazy. He’s got a solid jab that he pumps out & will often mix up his strikes. Now, one weird thing about him is his movement. His movement isn’t bad, but he has this innate ability to get hit when he’s off balance & he has a very bad reaction. I worry that with the pressure of santos, he could catch munoz on the feet. Munoz is a solid striker, but he doesn’t like to get hit & often looks stiff on the feet. The grgappling is where it’s interesting. I haven’t seen much of santos bjj, but I know his tdd isn’t great & he has an active guard. Munoz is a solid wrestler & has really sick bjj. His tda isn’t anything amazing, but he will chain wrestle & has really good entries on his shots. If it gets to the mat, I think he will comfortably outgrapple santos. 

* Edited at 04.29.2023, 10:17 PM ET *

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

04.29.2023 | 11:25 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Dober vs. Frevola
Drew Dober, TKO, R1
This is the potential parlay buster this week for me. Dober ko just seems so obvious here but I could actually see Matt winning. There’s a common misconception that Frevola has no chin; thus is not true. Frevola has a crazy chin but with his style he leaves his chin right there to be hit every time. You just can’t get into a brawl with dober. He may not be the most technical, but he has an uncrackable chin & hands of steel, which is always the equalizer. Now, we all expect Matt to stand and bang with dober, but I worry he may approach this like he did the Jalin turner fight. Strike with dober a little bit & mix in the wrestling. Dober is a lot less scary when being wrestled. He isn’t horrible but it’s far from his strong suit & historically he’s struggled badly against wrestlers. The thing about Frevola that I like is he’s got skills everywhere but then has insane cardio that he turns up to 12/10 every fight without stopping. I feel like at some point Frevola is gonna get caught, but it wouldn’t shock me if he pulls the upset here

Clark vs. Nzechukwu
Kennedy Nzechukwu, TKO, R1
I love this spot for kennedy. I used to **** on him hard but the improvements he’s made in his past few have been very good to see. He’s came in with a smart game plan for each opponent & also has stopped starting off so slow. Now, he’s still a slow starter but not nearly as frozen as he used to be. When he lets his hands go he is a scary guy to deal with. He’s got the biggest frame in the division & throws very fast and hard. I also love his use of knees, since he’s so much bigger than everyone, he can fire knees with ease & reach peoples heads easily. Devin clark on the other hand, is a talented guy but so embarrassingly fragile. He wins fights by bum rushing on the feet, getting you to the fence, & either hugging you against the fence, or grinding you with takedowns. I know kennedy got outwrestled by ion, but those are two totally different styles; the sambo wrestling of ion vs the American folk style of clark. Against American wrestling, kennedy has very good defense & I have a feeling clark is gonna struggle badly with the size. On the feet it’s just a mismatch. Clark can’t strike or take a punch at all, and now he’s facing a fast and dynamic guy who is also a giant. I think this is an easy ko for kennedy. Even tho he’s a slow starter, I’m going to go first round ko because of how clark fights. He rushes right in for the takedown almost immediately & kennedy will have to react

Williams vs. Bedoya
Khaos Williams, TKO, R2
Bedoya is a weird signing. He’s another one of Charles guys; he’s not bad, but this is just unfair matchmaking. Bedoya is your average chute boxe guy. Muay Thai striking & loves to march you down and get into a slugfest. His grappling seems decent but I’ve only seen him use it when he gets his opponent hurt. The most off-putting thing about Bedoya is his striking defense. This dude is here to get hit but his chin doesn’t support the style. He’s got good recovery, but I’ve seen him on ice skates against bad competition. Against someone like Khaos, that is a glaring red flag. The athelticism difference is also crazy here; Bedoya is pudgy & very unatheltic, where Khaos is a super athelte. I’ve always been impressed with the success Khaos has had in the ufc, despite having such a limited skillset. He is just a brawler with death touch power. He’s not technical but his physical gifts have gotten him very far. I could see Bedoya touching up Williams, but I don’t see his chin holding up in the brawl this is gonna be. Khaos has all the advantages, especially experience

Rodriguez vs. Jandiroba
Virna Jandiroba, DEC
I’m actually shocked tapology votes are so skewed in favor of Marina, I actually favor the opposite here. Don’t get wrong Marina is a great striker, but she’s very overrated. On the feet, there’s not many girls who can match her, especially once she makes her reads. However, the gameplan to beat her is clear; wrestle. Her tdd really isn’t good. She hasn’t fought many good grapplers, but the ones she does always get her down & once they do it’s almost always a 10-8. Marina is good at surviving, but nothing else. She is helpless on the ground. Now mma math is saying that since Virna lost to dern, Marina will beat Virna but I don’t think that’s happening here. Virna has improved one of her biggest weaknesses, her wrestling. It looked very improved against hill & she actually ragdolled her that fight. What virna will also do is pull guard if she can’t get the takedown. I like this because it forces her opponents to grapple & she can transition into an advantageous position. Virna is not a good striker but she is aggressive to close the distance. I think she’s gonna pressure Marina right out the gate, so that she can’t make her reads, and then Virna will mix in the takedowns and get her on the ground. I’m not sure Virna gets a finish since Marina is surprisingly good at surviving, but I think she will dominate this fight. It’s hard for me to be confident in a girl who is 35, just lost her shot at the title, and has a clear blueprint to be beaten

Porter vs. Smith
Braxton Smith, TKO, R1
This was such a weird fight to add & Braxton smith is just a weird signing, but he should look good here. I think people have a weird perception of porter. He’s not good at all but because he was on a winstreak I’ve seen people overrate him. Really the only good qualities he has is decent cardio & wrestling. Besides that he trash; his striking is so basic & he gets hit cleanly all the time. He does have wrestling in his back pocket, but it’s really not good. Now this Braxton smith guy is interesting. He’s short but insanely jacked. In fact, he has to cut to make hw. But man this dude is a freak of nature. He’s built like William knight but even more jacked. He doesn’t look overly technical, but he’s very atheltic & has nukes in his hands. He’s all hit hard but this guy really has insane death touch power. Now, he’s never left the first round, hasn’t been tested, and I have a feeling he’s a gasser who can’t wrestle. But there’s just no way I can pick porter. He’s old and been ko’ed a ton, I don’t think he can take the bombs of Braxton cleanly

Aliskerov vs. Hawes
Ikram Aliskerov, DEC
This could be a trap spot. Now, I’m personally very high on aliskerov, but this is stylistically a very tough fight for him. Hawes is a weird case; he’s got all the talent in the world, but his holes have never been fixed. He did fix his cardio (for the most part) but his chin can never be fixed. In almost every fight he gets rocked badly & only manages to recover half the time. What makes this hard for aliskerov is that hawes can wrestle very well & is a massive human with a strong center of balance. Aliskerov is a very good wrestler, but all his takedowns are bodylock slams or trips against the cage. I can see him getting hawes down, but it wouldn’t shock me if he struggles to get hawes down. And that is why I worry, when you’re a wrestler and can’t get the takedown, not only are you forced to strike, but it also taxes on your gas tank. Aliskerov is a decent striker with solid fundamentals, but he looks pretty stiff and slow. Hawes may be chinny, but he is legitimately a good striker and hits very hard. He throws a lot of kicks & elbows sre his specialty. I think he will be much more comfortable on the feet & pressure Ikram. However, all Ikram needs is one solid punch. Ikram does also like to throw fkying knees, so possible he lands one here. If he does get the takedown, he will maul hawes. Ikram is a legit dagestani grappler & doesn’t give up top control. He uses the kimura to move throughout every transition & is very good at pulling it off. I think this will be a close fight, but you gotta go with the dagi here. Hawes is very talented but he’s a busted prospect at this point

Zhumagulov vs. Estevam
Rafael Estevam, DEC
This is a tough one to call. Zhalgas is so talented, but is just doomed to have bad luck. He has been on the wrong end of a lot of decisions despite looming very good. Part of this is bad judging, but the other part is Zhalgas fights to the level of his comp. He always comes in with good game planning, but often times he will get hit due to his small stature & also due to the fact that he gasses badly in the third round. Zhalgas is a really good counter striker & hits hard. He doesn’t have one punch ko power, but he hits hard enough to illicit a good reaction everytime he lands clean. However, his output can wane at times (especially late) & he tends to get hit a lot. His wrestling is okay but nothing to call home about. His tdd however is solid. Estevam is a very good prospect but he went from a very winnable fight to a very tough one. I can’t find a whole lot of footage on him, but what I’ve seen has been impressive. I’m still unsure about his striking, but from what I’ve seen he’s got the typical aggressive Muay Thai style that Brazilians have been using a lot. Where he shines is his grappling; his wrestling is decent but his top control is insane. When he gets on top it’s so hard to get him off. He rolls with every transition & throws vicious and constant gnp. He is also a bjj black belt and has good submissions. I do worry he will have trouble with Zhalgas (as most people do) but you just can’t rely on Zhalgas to win on scorecards anymore.

Holmes vs. Ribeiro
Claudio Ribeiro, SUB, R2
I can’t believe Ribiero is as big of a favorite as he is; this dude is garbage. I know he’s got a nice highlight reel, but if you look past the ko’s you will see ribiero is an awful fighter. First off, there is no setup to anything he throws. No combos, no jab, just wings hooks from his waist. Secondly, a gust of wind could knock him over. Subsequently, when he does get taken down he is lost on the mat. My final gripe with ribiero is he has bad cardio too. I was surprised to see him come out composed and technical against alhassan, but once alhassan clinched him up he was lost. Now holmes is an interesting case. I don’t think he’s horrible, but he got to the ufc way too early. I know the Pickett fight was such an awful look, but you gotta factor in that he’s super green, took the fight on short notice, & probably had debut jitters. I really do think he would beat pickett in a rematch, but that’s also irrelevant here. In his other fights, I was decently impressed. Despite being very green, he does have a decent skillset. He’s super tall for the division & has decent kickboxing. He just has the basics, but he throws hard & when he decides to use his jab it’s pretty solid. However, he does have tall man’s defense. His wrestling from a technical standpoint isn’t bad, but he didn’t grow up with it & you can tell he’s not super atheltic. That being said, he does all the right things, just fails to put it fully together. That being said, it doesn’t take much to get ribiero down. Holmes bjj is nothing special, but he has a significant advantage over ribiero. I’m taking Holmes with a solid amount of confidence

Mothswords
Mothswords
  • Predictions:  2,588  |  63.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,389
  • Post Score: 149

04.29.2023 | 11:35 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 490 Points   |   Tied for 619th

Sterling vs. Cejudo
Aljamain Sterling, DEC
This is a fun card but I honestly do not give a **** who wins this fight. Going wit sterling because I don't see cejudo out striking or out grappling sterling also he's been out for 3 years. I know he's been coaching so it's not like he's been completely away but I'm not picking the guy who retired to lose his virginity to win

Muhammad vs. Burns
Gilbert Burns, TKO, R2
Muhammad has improved a ton since he started taking steroids but he didn't seem like he was ready to make the welterweight limit with this little of time. I think that will play a factor with his chin. Also burns is basically a faster & more dangerous version of Belal.

Andrade vs. Yan
Jéssica Andrade, SUB, R1
I see Andrade Bob & weaving forward hitting Yan with a big shot then immediately slamming Yan down & getting some type of choke pretty easily

Evloev vs. Mitchell
Movsar Evloev, DEC
Interesting fight. In Pokemon evolution chart it probably goes JSP being Charmander, Mitchell being Charmeleon and Evloev being Charizard. I would be more confident if Evloev wasn't coming in on short notice but I think he'll still be able to bank 2 rounds

Gracie vs. Jourdain
Charles Jourdain, DEC
I could honestly see Gracie getting an immediate sub but it's hard to pick a 34 year old who hasn't fought in 3.5 years

Dober vs. Frevola
Drew Dober, TKO, R3
Absolute banger. Maybe the wrestling of frevola will give Dober Problems but frevola is too willing to have a firefight & Dober isn't the dude you want to do that against

Clark vs. Nzechukwu
Kennedy Nzechukwu, TKO, R3
Clark is always a difficult guy to pick but I think Nzechukwu isn't more talented with improving fight IQ. He's less timid & doesn't make as many mistakes as he use to

Williams vs. Bedoya
Khaos Williams, TKO, R1
Difficult fight for Bedoya to have his debut against Williams. Wouldn't be completely shocked if Bedoya hurts &/or subs Williams because he is so wild but I think how wild Bedoya is will not play in his favor. Hes very willing to swing wild in the Pocket and keeps his chin exposed. I think Williams will get a highlight ko

Rodriguez vs. Jandiroba
Marina Rodriguez, DEC
I worry about Rodriguez motivation for this fight. She had a long win streak & was so close to fight for a title but ended up getting tko'd against lemos which is another fight Chris tognoni stopped too early. She's clearly better than Jandiroba but you never know because it's women's MMA

Porter vs. Smith
Parker Porter, DEC
Porter is absolute dog **** trash I think he'll grind out a decision after taking some big shots early

Aliskerov vs. Hawes
Ikram Aliskerov, SUB, R2
Phil Hawes has terrible durability and cardio. I know ikhram is a great grappler but if he has any type of striking and power he'll absolutely dominate Hawes

Zhumagulov vs. Estevam
Rafael Estevam, DEC
I see this being a close fight with Estevam doing more damage

Holmes vs. Ribeiro
Claudio Ribeiro, TKO, R1
Both trash but I'll go with the wild man with ko power

Santos vs. Munoz Jr.
Daniel Santos, TKO, R3
I don't think munoz has any power threat to keep santos from coming forward and ******* him up

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

04.29.2023 | 11:47 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Sterling vs. Cejudo
Aljamain Sterling, DEC
If this was prime triple C, this would be a no brainer for me, but three years away? Ehhh idk. Henry is one of the goats imo; people forget that despite being an Olympic wrestler, cejudo was mainly a striker & an elite one at that. The improvements he made throughout his career were so good; nobody could stop karate stance cejudo. Honestly, the time off isn’t what concerns me here, but the size advantage. Cejudo is a small bantamweight but aljo is a HUGE bantamweight. Not only in weight, but he’s got a huge reach advantage as well. I don’t like aljo, but he is actually a good striker. He’s got a funky striking style, but it’s effective. I think cejudo is the much better striker, but with such a reach disparity I think he could struggle. The grappling is also interesting. I don’t think aljo will have much wrestling success, but cejudo is so small he could just jump on the back. Once aljo gets the back, the round is as good as finished. As much as I hate aljo, I think I have to lean him here. Another pick I will switch between throughout the week

Muhammad vs. Burns
Belal Muhammad, DEC
I’ve been switching back and forth in this one & probably will all week. Both guys are killers. I may dislike belal, but I can’t deny the skill he has. He always comes in with a very smart gameplan & is one of the best anti wrestlers in the ufc. Burns on the other hand has found a lot of success at 170. He isn’t the most technical striker but he hits insanely hard and thrives in brawls. His grappling is elite, but I think this is gonna be mostly striking. On the feet, for belal to win he needs to make this a technical fight, much like when he fought luque. Move around a lot, jab, low kick, and avoid a brawl as Gilbert thrives when it’s ugly. On the flip slide, I worry that hat the pressure is gonna be belals downfall. It was 4 years ago, but that was similar to how neal beat him. He didn’t let belal breathe & just beat him up on the feet. I could see burns making the fight ugly & winning like that. This fight is really close but I’ll lean belal since he has been in very good form recently

Andrade vs. Yan
Xiaonan Yan, DEC
I’m actually gonna take xiaonan here. Andrade is staying active & has been looking very good recently, but I don’t know how to feel about all this activity. Activity is good, but when you constantly fight, the damage adds up & you can’t fix the mistakes in your game. Also, idk how much adrade cares about winning at this point since she’s getting paid absolute bank by the ufc now. Andrade is a very physical woman & throws with heat. Xiaonan is one of the more diverse strikers at 115. I feel like her lack of ground game is overrated; don’t gete wrong, that esparza fight was a tragedy, but she isn’t as bad as that performance showed. I think this is gonna be mostly a striking fight & I think yan will win. I didn’t watch much tape on this one as you can tell

Evloev vs. Mitchell
Movsar Evloev, DEC
Poor Bryce went from a winnable fight to an unwinnable one. I mean, he doesn’t have a 0% chance, but he’s got a very low one. I wasn’t very high on him until I watched the ige fight. That ige performance was insanely impressive. Not only did movsar dominate with the wrestling, he actually beat ige on the feet. Showed very improved defense and really good boxing. He has a really sharp jab & throws tight combos. Also showed off a killer counter flying knee. Bryce on the other hand is kinda outclassed here. His striking is serviceable, but nothing impressive, I’d give movsar the advantage there. The grappling is interesting. Bryce doesn’t do well against other wrestlers, so he probably gets wrestle ****** here, but his bjj and transitions is really good. He can create wild scrambles and will chain subs together with ease. I could see him throwing something up against movsar, but not getting a finish. I think movsar is just simply better and will make this look easy

Gracie vs. Jourdain
Charles Jourdain, TKO, R2
I really don’t get this fight at all. I also don’t get why hourdain is opening the ppv with this weird fight. Kron is a bjj practicioner, not an mma fighter. His bjj is elite kevel, but that doesn’t mean he’s a good fighter. I don’t even know what his motivation is for this; he hasn’t fought in like 5 years & I doubt he’s been training much since he’s opened that school in montana. I have a feeling this will look exactly like the kron vs Swanson fight (probably what the ufc is hoping) except likely worse. Jourdain has very suspect grappling, but unless kron pulls guard I see him struggling to get this fight down. On the feet he’s just gonna get lit up. Jourdain is gonna look very good against someone who can’t strike well, yet will walk forward & br a punching bag. Not calling him a lock because he’s so inconsistent, but I think he will ko kron

GreenTeaEnthusiast
GreenTeaEnthusiast

04.30.2023 | 12:13 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 390 Points   |   Tied for 2252nd

Sterling vs. Cejudo
Aljamain Sterling, DEC
My take on this is that the size difference is going to be a huge difference maker when it comes to grappling, and it'll be the determining factor. Not only is Cejudo a small BW - Aljo is objectively huge for a 135. His strength is going to shock Cejudo early in the fight and throw him off a little. But if there's anybody who can adjust to a disparity of some sort, it's Cejudo. With that in mind, though, I think people will be surprised at how much stronger Aljamain will be in clinch situations; I genuinely think he could muscle Henry around for a good two, three, or maybe four rounds and stifle him for long enough to win a clear decision. A finish is unlikely but definitely able to materialize if the control and top game of Sterling takes enough of a toll on the gas tank of Cejudo.

Muhammad vs. Burns
Belal Muhammad, DEC
This one's controversial and iffy again, but I don't see why Belal can't take the dub here. Burns has a tendency of being controlled in the clinch by more physical grapplers. While it is true that Burns is by far the more explosive athlete all-round, I could definitely see Belal sneaking his way into a clinch to press Burns against the fence to rack up points and gain control time. I don't see Burns finishing him, and if he doesn't - it becomes a war of attrition over five rounds. I don't think he can keep Belal out of the clinch for long enough to win that war.

Andrade vs. Yan
Jéssica Andrade, TKO, R2
This one's pretty simple. Yan is really good, but the gap between the top contenders and the regular contenders in this division is massive. Andrade should win this, likely by decision, but I'll gamble and say she finishes Yan against the fence.

Evloev vs. Mitchell
Movsar Evloev, DEC
Horrible fight to come back to. Who allowed this? It's hard for me to put a finger on who's a better grappler for so many reasons, but we know for sure that Evloev is well equipped to handle anything that Bryce throws at him, and if Bryce can't impose himself in the grappling department - which is unlikely to happen - Movsar will have a field day piecing him up on the feet besides a few good late straight left hands from Bryce when the clock starts to his opponent.

Gracie vs. Jourdain
Charles Jourdain, TKO, R1
Hard to see Gracie coming back from the Cub fight, especially given the time frame of his return. Jourdain should whoop him up pretty easily, unless he makes the mistake of waiting on his backfoot.

Dober vs. Frevola
Drew Dober, TKO, R1
This is a banger. Frevola's chin is not to be trusted in brawls though, especially not against that cannon of a left hand that Drew Dober possesses.

Iam_Him
Iam_Him
  • Predictions:  418  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  32
  • Post Score: 44

04.30.2023 | 12:49 AM ET

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 340 Points   |   Tied for 3186th

And breaking down the next card begins …………… now 

"**** Around & Find Out 🥷"

paulopasta
paulopasta

04.30.2023 | 2:08 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 430 Points   |   Tied for 1432nd

Muhammad vs. Burns
Gilbert Burns, TKO, R2
This should be a great fight. Despite Belal being a decisionater I see this being entertaining. Mainly because Gilbert is gonna force the pressure. I think he will be able to hurt Belal at some point during the fight. He’s got the power to put Belal out. Cardio shouldn’t be an issue for either guy. Either way I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a close decision. Very competitive fight

Andrade vs. Yan
Jéssica Andrade, DEC
Fun fight here, 2 of the better strikers in the division. Andrade always delivers. Yan is a stiff test for anyone in the division. Her striking is very solid and it’s possible she touches up Andrade for a UD, I don’t really see that happening. Should be an entertaining fight though

Evloev vs. Mitchell
Movsar Evloev, DEC
Unfortunately for Bryce he’s on the wrong end of some cruel matchmaking. Elvoev is better everywhere. I really like Bryce but it’s unlikely he gets to past these future top contenders in the division

Clark vs. Nzechukwu
Kennedy Nzechukwu, TKO, R2
Kennedy has improved considerably between fights. He’s huge, fast and powerful with solid takedown defense. I don’t see Clark being able to take more than a few shots from him over the course of the fight

Rodriguez vs. Jandiroba
Marina Rodriguez, DEC
Close fight here. Marina’s takedown defense is paramount in winning this one. I think Jandiroba has improved in wrestling and will be able to find success though otherwise. Unless Marina takes it to her on the feet

Porter vs. Smith
Braxton Smith, TKO, R1
I just can’t pick Parker Porter man. He’s so ass, with no chin either. He’s gonna walk into a massive shot by Braxton

Aliskerov vs. Hawes
Ikram Aliskerov, TKO, R3
Stiff test for Aliskerov. I still think he can with though. If he can wear down Hawes and land good shots I see him taking over late. But Hawes is also a very solid wrestler and a good striker. Close fight but I think Ikram finds a finish

Holmes vs. Ribeiro
Joseph Holmes, SUB, R2
Bum fight. I think Holmes is the better jobber

Santos vs. Munoz Jr.
Daniel Santos, TKO, R2
I like Santos here. Munoz doesn’t have a great chin. As long as he can defend the takedowns I see Santos closing the distant and landing big shots until a stoppage

Taybazza04
Taybazza04
  • Predictions:  19,387  |  68.0%
  • Forum Posts:  4,989
  • Post Score: 128

04.30.2023 | 3:55 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 415 Points   |   Tied for 1673rd

@ayy you need to change your pick to Holmes…
Laughing Pain
Laughing Pain
  • Predictions:  679  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  3
  • Post Score: 67

04.30.2023 | 4:08 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 5 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 305 Points   |   Tied for 3745th

Clark vs. Nzechukwu
Kennedy Nzechukwu
WE DONT PICK DEVIN CLARK

Rodriguez vs. Jandiroba
Marina Rodriguez
MEH

Porter vs. Smith
Parker Porter
SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

Aliskerov vs. Hawes
Phil Hawes
SHOW ME

Zhumagulov vs. Estevam
Zhalgas Zhumagulov
SHOW ME

Holmes vs. Ribeiro
Joseph Holmes
THE YOUNGER BUM

Santos vs. Munoz Jr.
Daniel Santos
HE BEAT CASTANEDA

"AHahaha Ouch"

Page 12

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Tom Aspinall: Curtis Blaydes rematch at UFC 304 is a 'lose-lose' because he's 'not that popular'
  • MMA Junkie : Manel Kape ready to shut down Muhammad Mokaev at UFC 304: 'Everything I do is a masterclass'
  • MMAFighting.com : Dustin Poirier shoots down fourth Conor McGregor fight: ‘I don’t need that [bad] energy’
  • Jits Magazine : IBJJF World Championship 2024 Full Preview
  • MMA Mania : Live! Brooke Vs VanZant Press Conference Video!
  • MMAFighting.com : Gegard Mousasi released from PFL-Bellator after threatening legal action
  • MMA Junkie : Photos: Gegard Mousasi through the years
  • MMAFighting.com : Misfits Boxing 15: Paige VanZant vs. Elle Brooke press conference video
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Garcia responds to positive 'B' sample with social media outburst: 'I F*CKING LOVE STEROIDS'
  • MMAFighting.com : Carlos Ulberg steps in to face Jamahal Hill in UFC 303 co-main event
  • MMA Mania : Hill Gets New Opponent For UFC 303
  • MMA Junkie : With Khalil Rountree out, Carlos Ulberg steps in to face Jamahal Hill at UFC 303
  • MMA Mania : Updated! UFC 303 Fight Card, PPV lineup
  • MMAFighting.com : Ben Askren confused what Chael Sonnen is doing against Anderson Silva: ‘I don’t know why you’re boxing’
  • MMA Junkie : Bassil Hafez eager to 'beat the sh*t out of' Mickey Gall at UFC 302, show he's better than debut loss
  • Middle Easy : PFL Founder Donn Davis Disses Kayla Harrison’s Move to the UFC, Dubs Her a ‘Follower Who Needs Validation’
  • MMAFighting.com : Ryan Garcia’s legal team responds to positive B-sample results for Devin Haney fight
  • Bad Left Hook : Ryan Garcia’s B-sample also positive, legal team releases statement
  • MMA Junkie : Miranda Maverick: 'Pretty girl on Instagram' Tracy Cortez doesn't deserve UFC ranking
  • UFC.com : UFC UNFILTERED | Kayla Harrison, Comedian Che Durena