Topic: Best Pound-for-Pound Men

Respect for Oliveira

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

stuthehistoryguy
stuthehistoryguy
  • Predictions:  10,453  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  738
  • Post Score: 315

09.02.2022 | 3:31 PM ET

I'm ranking Oliveira above Volkanovski because of the gauntlet Charles has run over the last two years. Ferguson, Chandler, Poirier, and Gaethje are all absolutely elite guys, and he's beaten them all resoundingly. No disrespect to Alex, but three of his last five wins have been over one guy - one very good guy, but just one guy.

And, yeah, I dropped the Mouse in at #10. He's a fighter's fighter, right down the line.

* Edited at 09.02.2022, 3:33 PM ET *

"I'm not on your side. I'm not on his side. I'm on the side or being right. - Richard Harrison Sr"

Responses

gwinCLARKE2019
gwinCLARKE2019
  • Predictions:  1,430  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,038
  • Post Score: 215

09.02.2022 | 3:57 PM ET

Oliveira is easily the #2 Lightweight all time. Some might even put him ahead of Khabib. Heck, five years from now he might have a significantly better resume if he can defeat the next generation of Lightweights (Gamrot, Ismaugulov, Tsarukyan, Fiziev, etc.), or at least a couple of them.

That being said, Max Holloway is IMO better than anyone Oliveira has fought, and Volk has defeated him thrice now. It's insanely hard to three-peat a guy because all of that Octagon exposure will help him hone in on your weaknesses. Plus people get older. Yet Volk's third win over Holloway was his most dominant. That's impressive to me. 

I'm rooting heavily for Charles and wouldn't mind seeing him fight Volk to settle this argument, although Lightweight and Featherweight are so stacked that such a fight would hold up the divisions for some time if it happened. @Stu who you got in a head-to-head matchup?

"This guy is too old to say this kind of ********."

gwinCLARKE2019
gwinCLARKE2019
  • Predictions:  1,430  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,038
  • Post Score: 215

09.02.2022 | 4:04 PM ET

To your point about three fights over one guy, I think trilogy fights  and immediate rematches are wildly overrated and should occur less often. Not that they occur too often - both fighters have to be very high level for that to even be discussed. But with Holloway-Volkanovski III having just happened over the summer and both Figgy-Moreno IV and Teixiera-Prochazka II on the horizon it seems like the frequency of such fights is increasing. I prefer to see champs get fresh meat. 

"This guy is too old to say this kind of ********."

Michael315Scarn
Michael315Scarn

09.02.2022 | 4:04 PM ET

I put Oliveira at the top for the same reason. He has beaten several elite fighters in his division.

When you think about it, it's really not Volkanovski's fault that he doesn't have variety in his challengers.
stuthehistoryguy
stuthehistoryguy

09.02.2022 | 6:39 PM ET

"When you think about it, it's really not Volkanovski's fault that he doesn't have variety in his challengers."

That's absolutely true, especially when Holloway is one of the most popular guys in the sport - it made perfect sense to make those fights. 

Ranking Oliveira above Alex isn't a slam on the featherweight champ by any means - it's more a tribute to Charles' incredible progress since 2017 after beginning his UFC tenure with an 8-8 record. The man holds the promotional record for finished fights and he's only 32 - younger than Alex. He's on an 11-win streak now, and eight of those wins have netted him Performance of the Night. That's damned impressive. 

* Edited at 09.02.2022, 6:48 PM ET *

"I'm not on your side. I'm not on his side. I'm on the side or being right. - Richard Harrison Sr"

****les
****les
  • Predictions:  280  |  67.9%
  • Forum Posts:  2,228
  • Post Score: 244

09.02.2022 | 6:51 PM ET

If you think Oliviera is on the same level as Volkanovski, or should be ranked higher, you shouldn't be commenting on MMA. You simply don't understand what you're looking at, and you don't understand what records mean.

* Edited at 09.02.2022, 6:54 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 9 years, 1 month, 2 weeks, 21 hours, and 50 minutes from now.
stuthehistoryguy
stuthehistoryguy

09.02.2022 | 7:08 PM ET

@gwin, I'll take Charlie Olives in the real world, not least because of the size difference. 

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : Mike Brown reveals what cameras missed after he told Dustin Poirier ‘no more guillotines’ at UFC 299
  • MMA Junkie : Photo: Mateusz Rebecki reveals horrifying facial damage from brutal UFC on ESPN 56 loss
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 Promotional Guidelines Compliance pay: 2024 total passes $3 million
  • MMA Mania : UFC 302 PPV Finalized With New Fight
  • Bad Left Hook : This week’s boxing streaming and TV schedule
  • MMA Mania : Biggest Winners, Loser From UFC St. Louis
  • MMA Mania : ‘Yeah, It’s Way Over 20 Million’
  • MMA Mania : Sooo ... About Last Night
  • Jits Magazine : Flavio Almeida Promoted To 6th Degree BJJ Black Belt
  • Jits Magazine : ADCC Asia And Oceania Trials 2024 Full Results And Review
  • MMAFighting.com : Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. George Kambosos full fight video highlights
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC St. Louis post-fight show: Reaction to Lewis’ big finish, Buckley’s win and McGregor callout
  • Bad Left Hook : Vasiliy Lomachenko stops George Kambosos to win IBF belt
  • MMA Mania : Liver Shot KO! Lomachenko Styles On Kambosos For Masterclass Win
  • MMA Mania : ‘Is This Guy For Real?!?’
  • MMA Junkie : Dana White praises Joaquin Buckley's UFC on ESPN 56 win, but shuts down his Conor McGregor request
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Lomachenko vs. Kambosos ring announcer completely bungle co-main event fight result
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch ring announcer completely bungle fight result for Lomachenko vs. Kambosos co-main event
  • Bad Left Hook : Lomachenko vs Kambosos: Live updates and results
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 2024 post-fight bonus winners: Inside the numbers