Topic: UFC 279

UFC 279: Diaz vs. Ferguson

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,178
  • Post Score: 47

05.17.2022 | 4:08 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 279
  • Saturday 09.10.2022 at 06:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: T-Mobile Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Joe Rogan, Daniel Cormier
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $5,670,272
  • Attendance: 19,125
  • MMA Bouts: 13
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Nate Diaz   defeats   Tony Ferguson   via Submission, Guillotine Choke   2:52 Round 4 of 5, 17:52 Total Bout Page
Khamzat Chimaev   defeats   Kevin Holland   via Submission, D'arce Choke   2:13 Round 1 of 5 Bout Page
Daniel Rodriguez   defeats   Jingliang Li   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Irene Aldana   defeats   Macy Chiasson   via KO/TKO, Upkick to the Liver   2:21 Round 3 of 3, 12:21 Total Bout Page
Johnny Walker   defeats   Ion Cutelaba   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   4:37 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Julian Erosa   defeats   Hakeem Dawodu   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Jailton Almeida   defeats   Anton Turkalj   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   4:27 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Denis Tiuliulin   defeats   Jamie Pickett   via KO/TKO, Knee to Ground Strikes   4:52 Round 2 of 3, 9:52 Total Bout Page
Chris Barnett   defeats   Jake Collier   via KO/TKO, Ground and Pound   2:24 Round 2 of 3, 7:24 Total Bout Page
Norma Dumont   defeats   Danyelle Wolf   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Alatengheili   defeats   Chad Anheliger   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Elise Reed   defeats   Melissa Martinez   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Yohan Lainesse   defeats   Darian Weeks   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 20

el222
el222
  • Predictions:  1,431  |  66.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,680
  • Post Score: 166

08.27.2022 | 5:39 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 13 Winners, 5 Perfect, 525 Points   |   Tied for 923rd

d rod army đŸ’Ș
MaxDai
MaxDai

08.30.2022 | 4:27 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 0 Perfect, 400 Points   |   Tied for 2769th

Chimaev vs. Diaz
Khamzat Chimaev
You are out of your mind if you believe Nate Diaz can beat Khamzat Chimaev.

Li vs. Ferguson
Jingliang Li
Fresh fighter, has a lot of potential, Tony too old and getting rocked.

JohnVolcan
JohnVolcan
  • Predictions:  5,334  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  624
  • Post Score: 235

08.30.2022 | 5:18 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 5 Perfect, 590 Points   |   Tied for 383rd

Li vs. Ferguson
Jingliang Li, TKO, R2
This just went from "weak card topped by a non sense mismatch" to "weak card topped by two non sense mismatches". I meen, I'm a big fan of both fighters, but Ferguson is absolutely shot and Jingliang should be fighting inside the top 10 of his division... At least there is a fun and grotesque Bellator flavour to this event now, but this is not a meaningfull fight.

"Check my ART here if you want : https://www.instagram.com/john.volcan/"

Michael315Scarn
Michael315Scarn

08.30.2022 | 7:21 AM ET

Predictions: 5 of 13 Winners, 3 Perfect, 350 Points   |   Tied for 3521st

He has lost to 4 straight killers of the lightweight division. Ferguson was doing well versus Chandler before being knocked out. The jury is still out for me. 

Seeing Ferguson a lightweight legend return to welterweight is very meaningful to me. 

But I honestly don’t know what a meaningful fight means. If there ever has been a meaningful fight, it’s Drod versus Holland. The winner of this fight undoubtedly will get a ranked opponent next. And seeing how Holland is one of the UFC fan favorites, this is a big deal. 

Johnny Walker versus Cutealba is a good fight with a lot on the line for both fighters. Both are very exciting to watch and if the winner impresses, they most likely will be fighting a big name next. 
WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

08.30.2022 | 7:31 AM ET

The Chinese Chad

Predictions: 6 of 13 Winners, 3 Perfect, 375 Points   |   Tied for 3149th

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

gwinCLARKE2019
gwinCLARKE2019
  • Predictions:  1,418  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,038
  • Post Score: 215

08.30.2022 | 3:35 PM ET

Remember the good times

Predictions: 5 of 13 Winners, 2 Perfect, 355 Points   |   Tied for 3440th

I would give my left nut to see this version of Tony come back against Li. 

"This guy is too old to say this kind of ********."

JohnVolcan
JohnVolcan

08.31.2022 | 5:00 AM ET

Yeah Michael, I understand your perspective.

As a Ferguson fan myself I was first excited at a welterweight debut...

But what a meaningfull means (to me at least), is a fight that makes sense for BOTH fighters and/or for the fans.
This doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
A win for Jingliang (over an old lightweight on a long losing streak) does nothing for him except a paycheck, a win for Ferguson is highly unlikely and anyway it would only condamn himself to a crual death sentence against another killer in the top 10 of the division, so I think the UFC (and yourself) are just expecting a fun potential Fight of the night in a losing effort, but even this seems unlikely to me at this point, and I don't think I'm comfortable watching Ferguson fights anymore.

Ferguson indeed lost to killers. But he not only lost, he got sadly destroyed or dominated every single time. The Gaethje fight was the most brutal and disturbing one sided beating I saw this side of BenoĂźt Saint Denis vs Zaleski dos Santos, Charles Oliveira and Dariush played with him like a useless doll, and I agree he looked good against Chandler in the first round, but hĂ©las his chin nowadays is EVEN WORSE than Chandler's, wich is something terrible, and he was almost condamn to lose against a hard puncher at this point of his career.

He always took an insane amount of dammage even in his wins, had some brutal injuries recently, and some heavy and disturbing mental issues if you're following him on social media.

He had a great carreer, as arguably the best lightweight to not win a belt, gave us some incredible wars over the years, but now he has nothing he can seriously gain in other fights. A serious welterweight run is highly unlikely, and the only fights he should take at this point is against other old fading legends without brutal KO power, like Jim Miller (who also moved to WW recently), or why not Trinaldo, but not Li ******* Jingliang, who is a legit top 10 Welterweight with dangerous power in his hands in the run for the title.

I completely agree about Holland vs Daniel Rodriguez tho (and yeah, Cutelaba vs Walker will be chaos), the card looks a lot better now.

Just my opinion of course, but I hate this fight.

Michael315Scarn
Michael315Scarn

08.31.2022 | 11:42 AM ET

John

The reason why I like fighting is because Tony Ferguson can land one punch, one kick or one submission and everything you said about him goes out the window and his next fight is even bigger. 

For Ferguson, this is an opportunity to fight a RANKED UFC fighter and prove he is not done like you think. 

For Jingliang, this would be the biggest win of his career. He would defeat a legend of the sport, and former interim Champion. Jingliang has a big fan base in China so defeating such a big name will undoubtedly be good for his brand.

Jim Miller moved to welterweight for a one off against Donald Cerrone, so a fight between them would make more sense at lightweight. But Jim Miller recently knocked out a young fighter so he has power. 

Trinaldo might be old and that's why you put him as a possible fighter. If you have seen Trinaldo fight recently, you know he is as tough an out as Jingliang and I would think he would look huge versus Ferguson.

Therefore I believe both of the perspective fighters you laid out for him would also be very difficult and dangerous opponents too. Why not take the highest ranked, most difficult fight. I also wouldn’t mind seeing Ferguson versus either one of those guys. 

This is the UFC and everybody can beat everybody. The last UFC card proved that.

el222
el222
  • Predictions:  1,431  |  66.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,680
  • Post Score: 166

08.31.2022 | 12:06 PM ET

Michael

Predictions: 7 of 13 Winners, 5 Perfect, 525 Points   |   Tied for 923rd

well yeah of course Tony CAN beat Li, but will he? I COULD beat Li, but would I really? how does Ferguson realistically win this fight? 
JohnVolcan
JohnVolcan

08.31.2022 | 1:33 PM ET

Michael

Jesus Christ, you just denied every single point I made, haha !

I't's okay, you did it with respect and reasonable arguments (even if I don't agree with most of them), so it's all good.

I completely agree Ferguson can win, and you seem to agree it's highly unlikely.

The difference is just that I think Ferguson is almost one punch or two away from dying into the octogon, and I'm starting to feel really uncomfortable watching him getting destroyed for an improbable glory (if he wins against the Leech, the probability he can replicate that miracle against a higher ranked fighter are getting close to none, even for his more enthusiastic fans ).

I'm sure there is still some Bigfoot Silva fans out there rooting for him to win a plastic belt in Russia against an old neo nazi bodybuilder or something like that, and maybe that's why he's still fighting. That and pride. Why not.

In the end it's their decision to continue fighting or not, and if we're honest we're all watching men hurting badly each other for our entertainment, so what can I do except explain my feelings on an MMA forum.

I really hope he chokes the Leech out of Jingliang after a Fight of the Year candidate and retires from the sport.

gwinCLARKE2019
gwinCLARKE2019
  • Predictions:  1,418  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,038
  • Post Score: 215

08.31.2022 | 2:58 PM ET

Predictions: 5 of 13 Winners, 2 Perfect, 355 Points   |   Tied for 3440th

"This guy is too old to say this kind of ********."

Michael315Scarn
Michael315Scarn

08.31.2022 | 3:39 PM ET

@john

"I't's okay, you did it with respect and reasonable arguments (even if I don't agree with most of them), so it's all good."

Same John.

I wouldn't say I think it highly improbable Ferguson wins. I wouldn't compare Ferguson to Big Foot. Look at the level of competition Big Foot has been losing too.

I disagree with the narrative around Ferguson. Let's see how the fight goes. I think it is plenty intriguing.

JohnVolcan
JohnVolcan

08.31.2022 | 5:36 PM ET

I will watch for sure, and will be rooting for Ferguson (but betting on Jingliang).

But don't get me wrong : I wasn't exactly comparing Ferguson to Bigfoot, I know Ferg is still UFC level, I was just bringing Bigfoot in there as an extreme exemple of a good fighter who almost reached the top and should have stopped just after that.
Or just after his 4rth or 5th loss in a row.

But yeah, even Ferguson with sun glasses would probably win against Bigfoot at this point.

To me Bigfoot is like Tony Ferguson in a few years from now if he keeps fighting...

Let's see how the fight goes indeed. Ferguson has nothing to prove anymore. Let's see if he can prove me wrong !

DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,792  |  66.9%
  • Forum Posts:  7,561
  • Post Score: 262

09.01.2022 | 7:09 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 2 Perfect, 465 Points   |   Tied for 1681st

I say for $70 card the first three fights are fine, Walker vs Cutelaba and Holland vs Rodriguez are good fights And Irene Aldana is one of the most entertaining fighter on the roster

My problem with the card, I don’t want to see old fighter I like get merked I.e Tony and Nate. Espaccaly  Tony is coming off one of most brutal KO in UFC history, him being back 4 month later should be a crime. Should the commemsion be stopping Tony fighting so soon, Someone should save Tony from himself

I think I’ll be more fine with Tony vs the leach, If Tony wasn’t coming back so soon after the Chandler KO, 

* Edited at 09.01.2022, 7:17 AM ET *

"Quack quack quack"

kylethemc
kylethemc
  • Predictions:  338  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  338
  • Post Score: 138

09.01.2022 | 10:04 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 480 Points   |   Tied for 1486th

Walker vs. Cutelaba
Johnny Walker, TKO, R1
Yes, I picked Johnny Walker to win in 2022. If he loses this, it's probably time to hang up the gloves.

Holland vs. Rodriguez
Kevin Holland, DEC
D-Rod is a tough guy to finish. I think this could even be a split decision but Holland imo gets the win. Holland is coming into his prime while D-Rod is leaving his prime and I don't see Holland being wrestled for 3 rounds. In a pure striking fight, I'll lean Holland although D-Rod is a very live dog.

Pickett vs. Tiuliulin
Jamie Pickett, DEC
MW depth is pretty terrible tbh. Pickett also showed no fight IQ when he tapped with one second left in the round against Daukaus. He fought better competition though so I'll pick him anyway.

2022.09.01 2:54 PM ET

bout status update

Abdurakhimov vs. Almeida Changed from Confirmed to Cancelled
2022.09.01 2:54 PM ET

bout announced

Jailton Almeida vs. Anton Turkalj at 220 lbs (99.8 kg)
AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise
  • Predictions:  16,098  |  67.4%
  • Forum Posts:  32,195
  • Post Score: 88

09.01.2022 | 3:02 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 13 Winners, 3 Perfect, 480 Points   |   Tied for 1486th

Happy Turkalij is finally in the ufc but he’s getting wrecked here 

"“Unfortunately you can’t talk like that on FOX” - Joe Rogan"

paulopasta
paulopasta

09.01.2022 | 3:43 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 7 of 13 Winners, 4 Perfect, 520 Points   |   Tied for 983rd

Almeida vs. Turkalj
Jailton Almeida, TKO, R1
Anton is getting beat anywhere the fight goes

JReynolds47
JReynolds47
  • Predictions:  12,739  |  72.4%
  • Forum Posts:  7,524
  • Post Score: 13

09.01.2022 | 4:04 PM ET

Predictions: 11 of 13 Winners, 4 Perfect, 665 Points   |   Tied for 90th

jailton is -1500 ***

"Jarno Errens, Damir Hadzovic"

junglefat
junglefat
  • Predictions:  7,142  |  60.9%
  • Forum Posts:  55
  • Post Score: 245

09.01.2022 | 4:25 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 13 Winners, 2 Perfect, 390 Points   |   Tied for 2912th

Turkalj looked awful on the contender series. Why bring him in?

"Life is a repetition of boredom and orgasms."

KyleH
KyleH
  • Predictions:  10,237  |  71.1%
  • Forum Posts:  6,530
  • Post Score: 196

09.01.2022 | 5:30 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 13 Winners, 3 Perfect, 405 Points   |   Tied for 2694th

Easy fight for Jailton, hopefully he can get a fight with a ranked opponent before the end of the year.

"There's 3 things in life that excite me. A woman, of course. Dinosaurs, and the violence of the Octagon" - GSP

Page 20

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Fight 2 Win 252 Full Results And Review
  • Bad Left Hook : Dmitry Bivol stays on June 1 card, will face Malik Zinad
  • Bad Left Hook : Inoue vs Nery: Live updates and results NOW!
  • Jits Magazine : 7 Inspiring John Danaher’s Quotes For BJJ And Life
  • Middle Easy : Oscar De La Hoya Backs Jaime Munguia After Defeat Against Canelo Alvarez
  • MMA Mania : Video: White, O’Malley Get Burnt During Roast Of Tom Brady
  • MMA Mania : ‘The Rock’ Shares Footage From MMA Training Camp
  • Bad Left Hook : Inoue vs Nery: Live updates and results, 4 am ET
  • MMAFighting.com : Drakkar Klose explains UFC 301 beef with Daniel Cormier, calls out Beneil Dariush, Jalin Turner
  • MMA Junkie : 5 biggest takeaways from UFC 301: Anthony Smith teaches another lesson in misplaced doubt
  • MMA Mania : Matches To Make After UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : Mauricio Ruffy reacts to Conor McGregor comparisons after spectacular UFC 301 debut
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo discusses next career move after fighting out contract at UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : Michel Pereira responds to UFC 301 criticism: ‘That’s the risk, but I’m the risk-taker’
  • MMA Junkie : Video: The Rock posts MMA training footage in preparation for role in 'The Smashing Machine'
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Shelby's Shoes: What's next for free agent Jose Aldo after UFC 301 win?
  • MMA Mania : Pound For Pound #1 Vs. ‘The #1 Money Man’
  • MMAFighting.com : Shogun Rua announced for 2024 UFC Hall of Fame class
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch The Rock begin MMA training for Mark Kerr biopic ‘The Smashing Machine’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 winner Mauricio Ruffy warns Islam Makhachev 'a new king is coming' after debut