Tapology Forums

Most Under-rated fighters in the ufc?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero
  • Predictions:  5,066  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,396
  • Post Score: 240

12.17.2010 | 10:19 AM ET

lets see..............Bisping......G-Sot......Joe stevenson.......Okami possibly
Any Thoughts?

"If you're matched up against me, you better be prepared to give your life...because I am prepared to take it. - Conor McGregor"

Responses Page 2

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,575
  • Post Score: 275

12.18.2010 | 7:47 AM ET

We will see soon enough if Ryan Bader is as good as Jon Jones. My bet is Jones runs through him.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,722  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987
  • Post Score: 212

12.18.2010 | 9:10 AM ET

I think bader will be a harder fight for jones than a lot of people think.  Bader is one of the stronger guys in the div, hes almost as big as bonnar, and he decent cardio.  He appears to hit harder than most too.
I think jones will win but it will be closer than most think.

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

Gregory
Gregory

12.18.2010 | 9:21 AM ET

I'm very pumped for the UFC 126 card... that's for sure.  I just think that Jones has some very unusual gifts. 

For example the length of his arms and legs.  In his last two fights he's been able to score trip takedowns because Vera and Matyushenko just couldn't get out of the way of those freaky octopus legs.  It's just really... unusual. It's like trying to fight one of those tall blue guys from Avatar.

Call me crazy but I can't see anyone stopping Jon Jones from becoming LHW champ.  I'd make him the favorite in any 205 matchup.  Rampage, Rashad, Machida, Shogun, anybody.

Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,722  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987
  • Post Score: 212

12.19.2010 | 9:50 AM ET

I see jones having a good fight with the top 5 but not beating them.  Maybe in a year or two being able to keep pace and beating them then.
Jones is an amazing prospect but hes still a prospect not a proven fighter.  His biggest win is over vera, who is a really good fighter but also lost to jardine, who was cut, and couture.
Mma math rarely has any real substance but still its hard to credit the vera win (albeit a very good win) to top level in the most competitive division in mma.

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

12.19.2010 | 10:12 AM ET

I agree that Jones has yet to prove he can compete with Top Ten-caliber opposition, but it has been the manner with which he has annihilated a bunch of guys in the Top 25 or so, outside of the Top Ten, that makes him a Top Tenner himself.
A dominant victory over Bader--and I expect it to be dominant--will establish himself just outside of the Top 5, but I fully expect him to be able to compete with an defeat guys in the Top 5 in 2011. I currently have Forrest Griffin at No. 5, and I think Jones would run through him worse than he's going to run through Bader (my No. 6). It will be interesting to see how he fares when he gets in there with the likes of Machida (my No. 4), Rampage (No. 3), and the division leaders, Evans and Shogun, though I doubt he'll ever face Evans. 

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

silvaninja1
silvaninja1
  • Predictions:  10  |  50.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2
  • Post Score: -50

12.23.2010 | 8:37 PM ET

silva got the better of him the whole fight and almost khao in the 3 rd
USMC
USMC
  • Predictions:  804  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  170
  • Post Score: 58

12.31.2010 | 2:36 AM ET

Tito

I want to say Tito, but I'm not sure how well I can justify it.  

He's basically been fighting once per year for the past 4 years (since he last contended for the LHW Title).  The draw vs Rashad Evans was really a win and the loss vs Forrest Griffin could have easily been a draw; 1-2-1 look a bit better than 0-3-1 (Machida and Hamil were the other two fights).
Take a look at Ryan Bader and Thiago Alves--two guys that are highly thought of--and consider the opponents they've faced (overall caliber) the past few years... I think Tito could have faired about as well against that competition, as Bader and Alves have.  Alves' two losses came against Rashad and Machida, who Tito arguably faired better against... Bader's best win came against Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, which is Tito's next opponent, we'll see what happens there... other than that, I think Tito beats just about anyone that Alves or Bader beat in that span; Keith Jardine, Alexander Houston, Eric Shafer, Vinny Magalhães, etc...

USMC
USMC

12.31.2010 | 2:41 AM ET

P.S.

I don't mean to suggest that Tito is as good as Bader or Alves, though.
USMC
USMC

12.31.2010 | 2:51 AM ET

*edit* = Houston Alexander
USMC
USMC

12.31.2010 | 2:56 AM ET

*EDIT* = Thiago Silva
When is that edit feature coming???
Gregory
Gregory

12.31.2010 | 1:43 PM ET

At some point soon... we need to revamp the whole box that you compose forum posts in. It's all screwy. Thanks for being patient :)

cowboysnjazz
cowboysnjazz
  • Predictions:  10  |  50.0%
  • Forum Posts:  3
  • Post Score: 33

12.31.2010 | 8:24 PM ET

Jon Jones

I say that by the competition the UFC keeps throwing at him, and he passes the test every time (The Matt Hammil "L" was a joke).
Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

01.01.2011 | 9:01 AM ET

I dont always agree with dana but he has the right idea for who the most underrated fighter, and thats Rich Franklin. Dude gets no love on  the internet by hard core fans and is constantly over look. 

"here I come to save the day"

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

01.01.2011 | 9:08 AM ET

Agreed. But at some point, he'd better get himself into title contention. He has a tendency to lose the fights that will put him on the cusp.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

thefreeman
thefreeman
  • Predictions:  9,520  |  60.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,752
  • Post Score: 198

01.04.2011 | 8:12 PM ET

Phil Davis is underrated although understandably so due to his lack of high profile fights but mark my words 2011 is going hold some big wins for him. Brian Stann is also underrated although the Leben fight helped (a perfect prediction for thefreeman i must admit :)
jersey0525
jersey0525
  • Predictions:  2,766  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,536
  • Post Score: 188

01.04.2011 | 8:17 PM ET

underrated fighters 1. jim miller, 2. phil davis, 3. stefan struve

"im an OT (ORIGINAL TAPOLOGIST), I used to write for cagepages.com. NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT LEFT HAND SHOT"

bloopdoopfoopmoop
bloopdoopfoopmoop
  • Predictions:  758  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  112
  • Post Score: 55

01.04.2011 | 9:02 PM ET

It's hard to describe prospects like Jon Jones & Phil Davis as underrated, given that they haven't really done anything UNimpressive for us. Someone's underrated if people generally think the guy is worse than he actually is; with Davis & especially Jones, that just amounts to saying people need to love them more--

"Wow, Jon Jones is awesome!"

"You're underrating him. Jones is AWESOME!!!1!"

Same goes for Sotiropoulos. Who's underrating him these days? If anything, I think he might be overrated because he hasn't had a lot of really stiff competition. Don't get me wrong, I think he's really good & I love watching his fights, but everyone seems very quick to call him the next big thing.

I have to agree most of all with everyone who's mentioned Rich Franklin. His star still hasn't properly recovered from Anderson Silva, I think, and Vitor didn't help either. I think he gets looked at the same as a guy like Matt Hughes--former champion, still takes some interesting fights, but not worth considering in the overall picture of his division. I think this is totally the wrong idea for Franklin; he could make a real run at the 205 title. He's got plenty left in him.

"Be strong / be wrong"

bloopdoopfoopmoop
bloopdoopfoopmoop
  • Predictions:  758  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  112
  • Post Score: 55

01.04.2011 | 9:08 PM ET

And Jim Miller, too. I don't know why he gets written off by so many pundits.

Last thought: strangely enough, I actually think USMC is right that Tito is underrated these days, but for different reasons. No, the Rashad draw wasn't "really" a win, and I can't see the Forrest fight as a draw; even if it were, I see the closeness of that fight as showing more about Forrest's inconsistency than Tito's ability.

I think Tito might be underrated just because general opinion of him (outside his inexplicable fans) is so low. He can still do a few things well. He's been around a while & knows how to stay competitive in fights. He hasn't been stopped in a while, so if you put him in with a really inferior wrestler, he can probably do well for himself. I don't think he belongs in the UFC anymore, but he's not a complete tomato can. He can probably still seriously injure Ken Shamrock, at least. I expect Lil Nog to beat him clearly, but not finish him & not totally dominate.

"Be strong / be wrong"

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

01.09.2011 | 12:05 PM ET

skelliher if you look at those fights he lost when at the cusp it was only twice both of which werent really his fault. If you take away the two head buts and the eye poke from the henderson fight there a good chance he would have won that. Even aside from that it could have gone either way.  Then you have the belfor fight which Franklin took on short notice to help the UFC. He not only did so on short notice but took it 3 months after a brutal 3 round war with wanderlia, and he aint as young as he once was. Bouncing back from such a fight is hard for any fighter let a lone I guy who 35. but meh thats just my 2 cents on the matter.

agree with most of the bispen thing you brought up. He is very underrated, and it because of his attitude, he talks a really big game and then does not live up to it. I think the ultimate fighters kinda is what made him underrated. He had everyone believing he belonged in the cage with Henderson, but it was far to soon and the world saw it.  But after the amount of **** he talked, I think a huge backlash in fan support for him occurred.

USMC I disagree 100% with your take on Tito Lose to Forrest. how on earth can you even suggested that could be a tie?  It was rediculous that it was even a split decision. Tito got clearly beaten, he at best might have won the first round. He clearly lost the last two. I suggest you re watch the fight because it was not remotely close to being a draw.

"here I come to save the day"

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Daniel Cormier says Conor McGregor canceling UFC 303 press conference is 'a little worrisome'
  • UFC.com : GLORY Star Bekah Irwin Awaits Her Fury FC Debut | UFC FIGHT PASS
  • UFC.com : UFC UNFILTERED | Recapping UFC 302 & celebrating Matt's 50th birthday w/ Din Thomas
  • UFC.com : Gennrich Not Intimidated By Lewis Or Betting Odds | UFC FIGHT PASS
  • MMA Junkie : Kayla Harrison resents PFL co-owner Donn Davis making 'bullsh*t' comparison to Kevin Durant
  • Bad Left Hook : Shields to face heavyweight champion Lepage-Joanisse on July 27
  • Bad Left Hook : Claressa Shields to face heavyweight champion Vanessa Lepage-Joanisse on June 27
  • MMA Mania : ‘Brace Yourself For Disappointment’
  • MMA Junkie : Grant Dawson eyes Jalin Turner matchup after UFC 302: 'He beat the guy that beat me'
  • Middle Easy : Paulo Costa Swears To Bring Back His Old Self Who ‘Takes Heads Off’ After UFC 302
  • MMAFighting.com : Heck of a Morning: What in the world is going on with Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler?
  • MMA Junkie : Andre Lima talks nerves during split decision, regret for UFC 302 weight miss
  • Middle Easy : Chael Sonnen Suggests Michael Chandler vs. Max Holloway For BMF Title If Conor McGregor Pulls Out Of UFC 303
  • UFC.com : Where We Stand: Lightweight Division | June 2024
  • MMA Junkie : Roman Kopylov ready for busy second half of 2024 – if it's in UFC's top 15
  • MMAFighting.com : MMA Divisional Rankings: Michael Chandler exits due to inactivity as uncertainty swirls around Conor McGregor
  • MMA Mania : Paul Reacts To Connie Commotion: ‘Karma Is Undefeated’
  • Middle Easy : Kamaru Usman Proposes ‘Fantastic’ Showdown With Dustin Poirier At Welterweight
  • Bad Left Hook : PODCAST: What’s left for Wilder, Canelo vacates IBF, Broner vs Cobbs preview
  • MMA Junkie : Bassil Hafez wants eventual Jack Della Maddalena rematch after first UFC win