Tapology Forums

any middleweights left?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

sakuisthebest
sakuisthebest
  • Predictions:  1,213  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  6
  • Post Score: 17

09.25.2011 | 3:45 PM ET

what do you guys think is sonnen's chances of beating silva if he beats stann? or stann's chance against silva? i only want sonnen to win so that he can fight a healthy anderson who will just make sonnen kiss his knee at the end of the first round. but then again sonnen's biggest fault is his best weapon against anderson. he has no fear which normally costs you fights for not fighting smart but i know silva who has trained takedown defense this whole time will just beat sonnen down at some point. what do you guys think? and who else at middleweight is left?

Responses

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,571
  • Post Score: 275

09.25.2011 | 3:54 PM ET

Sonnen certainly could win in a rematch against Silva.  What his chances are is anyone's guess.  Was Silva really injured? Did Sonnen's TRT play a part?  It's one of the most interesting possible fights out there in the UFC, maybe the most interesting of all.

As for Stann, he's gotten very far, seems dedicated and working hard. But he doesn't have the physical tools or the foundation in any specific martial art to give Anderson any trouble at all, I don't think.  

I believe Sonnen will beat Stann, and then we'll see Sonnen vs Silva 2.

"I live, I die, I live again."

michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

09.25.2011 | 4:08 PM ET

Sonnen is still left. I am a big AS fan, but Sonnen beat the hell out of Anderson for 4 1/2 rounds. If he beats Stann and gets his rematch, I think it will be another good test for AS. If Anderson can beat Sonnen again, then who knows, maybe we'll see a superfight, or maybe the UFC will have a new MW threat for Silva. 

"Frig off, bud"

t0rch
t0rch
  • Predictions:  5,787  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,658
  • Post Score: 208

09.25.2011 | 4:19 PM ET

I think that the factor of fear (I prefer confidence) plays a major roll in Anderson's fights. You can tell in his opponents' body language that they aren't up to the challenge. I'd say the only people that ever looked the part walking into the cage that they could beat him were Sonnen, Henderson, and Cote.

"I would agree with you, but then we would both be wrong."

sakuisthebest
sakuisthebest
  • Predictions:  1,213  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  6
  • Post Score: 17

09.25.2011 | 4:28 PM ET

yeah and confidence is sonnen's weapon but we'll see how it works out.
t0rch
t0rch

09.25.2011 | 4:41 PM ET

I'll also add that even though I don't think Stann has a chance against Silva, I think he would look much the same as Cote and go in there throwing bombs looking for the KO no matter what. I wish I could find the GIF of Cote eating a kick head kick from Anderson without flinching and just threw a bomb right back.

depltd testosteron
depltd testosteron
  • Predictions:  323  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  23
  • Post Score: 113

09.25.2011 | 4:47 PM ET

Yeah Stann would get destroyed vs Silva. Sonnen is the only MW left

After that, Silva would have to go LW or GSP just to get a good fight

"“I’d beat up Machida on the way to the ring to beat up Anderson, and I’ll kick Nogueria’s ass in the parking lot on the way to my after party.""

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

09.25.2011 | 4:59 PM ET

Chael or if Vitor got another oppurtunity I think it would be a lot more competetive. Munoz would put up a good fight because of his good (not great) wrestling ability. Problem is there aren't any great wrestlers outside of Chael and there never has been luckily for Anderson.

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

norbar
norbar
  • Predictions:  2,367  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  473
  • Post Score: 129

09.25.2011 | 5:23 PM ET

I know it's a bit of a fanboy thing but I really wonder if they manage to train the stupid out of Palhares - would he be a threat at 185? 
Also I'm really bummed about the exclusivity of the UFC conctracts. I would really like to see Khalidov in the UFC. Right now not stepping up in competition can make him peak while I still think he could develop into a really dangerous fighter. Not someone who is boarderline top 15.

"“Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.” ― Oscar Wilde"

t0rch
t0rch

09.25.2011 | 5:37 PM ET

@norbar, I think that Palhares could be a threat for the first round just because Silva comes out slow and if he somehow managed to get it to the ground. However, after that he doesn't have the gas tank, chin (at least I don't think he has a good one) or stand up ability to pose a threat after the first round.

CashBrewyn
CashBrewyn
  • Predictions:  21,572  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  4,045
  • Post Score: 212

09.25.2011 | 5:44 PM ET

I think Anderson could easily trick Palhares into thinking the round was over some how then KO him when he is walking back to his corner

"My hearts pumpin' the blood of Royce Gracie My thoughts dumpin' the slug and point straightly"

xbassistdoodx
xbassistdoodx
  • Predictions:  2,546  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,218
  • Post Score: 104

09.25.2011 | 6:07 PM ET

Dig deeper into the division.

Stann, Munoz, Sonnen, Kennedy, Le, Belfort, Bisping, Miller,

maybe one day Herman or McGee, and that new French guy comin from GSP's camp.

* Edited at 09.25.2011, 6:08 PM ET *

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" - Isaac Newton

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : ‘He put you in position’: Vergil Hunter explains why Spence should pay former trainer his worth
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘He put you in position’: Vergil Hunter explains why Errol Spence should pay Derrick James his worth
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302: Islam Makhachev vs. Dustin Poirier adds short-notice debutant Mitch Raposo
  • MMA Mania : Mouthy Mac Warned To ‘Be Careful’ With Khabib Critique
  • MMAFighting.com : Dustin Poirier stars in new Bud Light commercial ahead of UFC 302
  • MMA Junkie : Conor McGregor adopts 'cold in the soul' approach, won't fight with animosity in UFC return
  • MMAFighting.com : Husband and coach of UFC fighter arrested for alleged sexual abuse of child
  • MMA Mania : Finalized! UFC Saudi Arabia Fight Card, ABC Lineup
  • MMA Junkie : Mitch Raposo steps into UFC 302 for debut vs. Andre Lima
  • MMA Junkie : Stamp Fairtex out of ONE 167 due to injury, scheduled ONE 168 champ vs. champ bout in question
  • UFC.com : Islam Makhachev’s Career Highlights | Title Wins To Best Finishes
  • MMA Junkie : Justin Gaethje credits fight style for his bigger UFC paydays
  • UFC.com : Flyweight Thriller Between Alex Perez And Tatsuro Taira Headlines At UFC APEX
  • MMA Mania : VIDEO: Sound & Pound — Who’s Next For Mix And Murphy?
  • UFC.com : UFC Lightweight Title Lineage
  • MMA Mania : Brennan Arrested For Alleged Sexual Abuse
  • Bad Left Hook : Fisher vs Babic headlines July 6 NXTGEN show
  • MMAFighting.com : TKO president compares Dana White to NBA’s David Stern when it comes to building superstars
  • MMA Junkie : UFC champion Leon Edwards welcomes Conor McGregor title defense: 'That needs to happen'
  • Bad Left Hook : Davies, Heaney, Cameron highlight July 20 Magnificent Seven show