Topic: Industry, Business, & Competition

UFC profits drop 40 percent in 2014

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Kpro
Kpro
  • Predictions:  11,208  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  4,927
  • Post Score: 255

11.20.2014 | 1:01 PM ET

The sky isn't falling, but that hasn't stopped the ZUFFA brass from taking shelter.

The same company that was recently named one of the "World's Most Valuable Sports Brands," under the leadership of "Brand Genius" (and UFC President) Dana White, is now faced with a 40-percent decline in profits for calendar year 2014, according to Standard & Poor's (S&P).

MMA Payout adds some perspective:

S&P now expects ZUFFA's cash flow/debt leverage to increase to the "high-5x area at the end of 2014." In its October 2014 report, it had predicted ZUFFA to be in the 3 range. The cash flow/leverage is based on a scale of 1-6 with 1 being minimally leveraged to 6 being highly leveraged. ZUFFA is now pegged as 5 whereas S&P had forecasted it being a 3.

What's to blame?

Injuries, for one, which contribute to much lower pay-per-view (PPV) buys. In the past few months, the promotion was forced to postpone title defenses from two of its biggest stars in light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and heavyweight titleholder Cain Velasquez.

And Georges St. Pierre, the longtime "king" of PPV, is playing hooky.

It should also be noted that ZUFFA has been extremely aggressive in its global expansion, at the same time that it rolled out its new "UFC Fight Pass" digital network. That means a bevy of long-term investments, without a lot of short-term profits.

Too much, too soon?

http://www.mmamania.com/2014/11/20/7254113/zuffa-roasted-standard-ufc-profits-drop-40-percent-2014-mma

"I Stab Waterbeds!"

Responses

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

11.20.2014 | 1:11 PM ET

When almost every big fight you have gets cancelled due to injury it's going to impact your bottom line and PPV numbers. January will be huge for them as long as there are no injuries if 2015 goes off as planned everyone will forget the injury train wreck of 2014.

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

11.20.2014 | 2:03 PM ET

Josh Gross is also predicting 2015 to a year of "redemption" for the UFC. I hope he's right. Not for the profit of the UFC, but for the pleasure of the fans who love to watch their fights.....
Outrageous
Outrageous
  • Predictions:  15,465  |  65.5%
  • Forum Posts:  246
  • Post Score: 215

11.20.2014 | 2:47 PM ET

A decline in profits is not necessarily too telling; even apart from the recent injury issues, it's pretty normal for a company that's making lots of long-term investments and expansion efforts to have less profit.  Amazon, for example, has famously eschewed profits in pursuit of expansion.  It only becomes a problem if those investments and expansion efforts do not pay off, which in the UFC's case remains to be seen.

The decrease in short-term profit, and particularly the increased leverage (which shows that the UFC is financing a lot of its expansion efforts with debt) does mean that the UFC is taking on more risk, which might be reason for concern if you were thinking about loaning them money... but otherwise I don't think you can take a whole lot from this.

"Fungahhh!"

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

11.20.2014 | 3:07 PM ET

they had to expect their profits to diminish up to some point, but they've probably been hit harder than they expected. I hope they have a good year in 2015 and get back on track. but this is definitely a good time for WSOF and Bellator to gain some traction against the UFC, Bellator already seems to be doing their part, if only now WSOF would get out of their own way so they could succeed as a promotion

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

11.20.2014 | 4:12 PM ET

It seems that this is a "rebuilding" year of sorts for the UFC. They did experience several setbacks in 2013, losing GSP and Anderson for 2014 (maybe longer for GSP). 
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,544  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,603
  • Post Score: 69

11.20.2014 | 4:15 PM ET

45 events next year is surely expansion.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,552  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

11.20.2014 | 4:38 PM ET

2014 will end on the 47 events mark, so yeah, if you add TUF finales to the list it'll be an expansion, but not something big ... maybe not even that ... if the Latin/Japanese/Uzbeki/Brazilian TUF finales are going to be put on the UFN/PPV cards that were announced and counted in those 45, you add 2 US TUF finales and you've got exactly the same number of events as in '14.

* Edited at 11.20.2014, 4:38 PM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

11.20.2014 | 5:04 PM ET

too many events, cards are too watered down. Now-a-day to be a daily fan of the 'UFC" there is so much you have to buy. Fight pass, ppv. its a lot to invest in for a product that is so inconsistent with stars.

* Edited at 11.20.2014, 5:06 PM ET *

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

Blackwork
Blackwork
  • Predictions:  4,678  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  900
  • Post Score: 162

11.20.2014 | 5:44 PM ET

The investment in international markets is a huge cost, but one with a very large long term upside. Of course profits are going to drop.

The one thing that is interesting to think about, and is a sign of how complicated this business is, is how many injuries that have resulted in fights being canceled have occurred since Zuffa started offering insurance. It is the right thing to do, in my opinion, but people never think of the many possible repercussions of any one action.

"http://www.tapology.com/profiles/blackwork/my-rankings?ranking_type=member"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : EBI 21: The Absolutes Full Preview
  • Jits Magazine : 10 Types Of BJJ Guards Grapplers Should Know
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! BJJ Star Craig Jones Dumps $1 Million In Cash On Rogan’s Desk
  • MMA Mania : Lima Inks Bellator Contract Extension
  • MMA Mania : ‘No One’s Feeling Sorry For You’
  • MMA Junkie : MMA Junkie's Fight of the Month for May: Steve Erceg gives commendable test to Alexandre Pantoja at UFC 301
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping: Dustin Poirier's record 'smokes' Islam Makhachev's
  • UFC.com : A SUBTLE APPROACH TO SUMMER
  • MMA Mania : Tsarukyan ‘Should Thank’ Makhachev For UFC Career
  • MMA Junkie : 'EA UFC 5' continues roster expansion with four free fighter additions
  • Middle Easy : Joe Rogan Believes It All Fell Apart for Alexander Volkanovski After the Makhachev Rematch: ‘I Thought He Won the First Time’
  • MMAFighting.com : Benoit Saint Denis eyes UFC fights in Manchester and Paris, ‘more determined than ever to become the champion’
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Accuses Conor McGregor of PED Use Ahead of UFC 303 Return: ‘He’s Out of His Mind’
  • MMA Junkie : 'Eagle is landed': Khabib Nurmagomedov returns to corner Islam Makhachev at UFC 302
  • MMA Mania : ‘Diamond’s’ Kryptonite? Khabib Confirmed Back At UFC 302
  • MMA Junkie : Ilia Topuria on how Sean O'Malley fight would go: 'I can do with him whatever I want'
  • MMAFighting.com : Khabib Nurmagomedov will serve as cornerman for Islam Makhachev at UFC 302
  • UFC.com : This Week On UFC FIGHT PASS | May 27, 2024 - June 2, 2024
  • MMA Mania : ‘Everything Fell Apart’ For Volkanovski
  • MMAFighting.com : Talita Bernardo vs. Olga Rubin title fight headlines Invicta FC’s return in June