Topic: Henry Cejudo

Cejudo Moving Up to 135 lbs.

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

edwinx1903
edwinx1903
  • Predictions:  1,280  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,039
  • Post Score: 245

09.03.2014 | 2:16 PM ET

Dana offered him to move up to 135 lbs. since he's having problems making 125 lbs.

He accepted and will now be fighting at the upper weight class.
Source is Ariel Helwani.
Henry "Triple C" Cejudo

Fighter Details

• Name: Henry Cejudo
  • Pro MMA Record: 16-4-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: Triple C
  • Current Streak: 2 Losses
  • Last Fight: February 17, 2024 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Bantamweight | Last Weigh-In: 135.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: Fight Ready MMA
  • Height: 5'4" (163cm) | Reach: 67.5" (171cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $790,000 USD
  • Born: Los Angeles, California, United States
  • Fighting out of: Phoenix, Arizona
  • College: N/A
  • Foundation Style: Wrestling
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

09.03.2014 | 2:24 PM ET

If by "offered" you mean either fight at 135 or you are cut. 

"Frig off, bud"

joe kerr
joe kerr
  • Predictions:  243,970  |  68.9%
  • Forum Posts:  4,850
  • Post Score: 267

09.03.2014 | 2:30 PM ET

Yup. The baldfather basically gave him an ultimatum the night he failed weight - if you want to fight in the UFC, you're gonna have to do it at 135 or not at all.

"If the enemy rejects the ground, I would take him down by tackle. Why didn’t he [Royler] do so? May I introduce him to a good coach? His tackle was... like a girl’s one... Mr. Royler, how are you feeling?" - Kazushi Sakuraba

OutlawJoseyWales
OutlawJoseyWales
  • Predictions:  10,186  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,392
  • Post Score: -147

06.12.2015 | 2:14 PM ET

anybody who can beat brad pickett can beat this guy. everyone losses sometime and he is a +800. long live the king.  Chico Camus.

* Edited at 06.12.2015, 2:15 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 6 months, 2 weeks, 1 day, 23 hours, and 6 minutes from now.
PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  32,174  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,974
  • Post Score: 195

06.12.2015 | 7:45 PM ET

Pickett looked like **** at flyweight and I'd still consider Camus's win over him to be pretty questionable. Meanwhile Cejudo looked like he could wrestle**** Cariaso in his sleep.

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,515  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

06.14.2015 | 10:05 AM ET

Seems that Cejudo cannot finish a fight in the UFC.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,540  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

06.14.2015 | 10:36 AM ET

Well, he hasn't exactly been fighting bums. 

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

06.14.2015 | 12:05 PM ET

He hasn't exactly been fighting the Flyweights I consider top level either....I can name 10, maybe 15 flyweights I believe to be level(s) above Chico Camus and Chris Cariaso. It's interesting though we have an Olympic Gold Medalist wrestler who has boxed for years (actually aspired to make the 2012 U.S. Olympic boxing team, won several tournaments amateur including a bronze gloves). Switched to MMA at 25 years old and over 3 years amassed a record of 9-0 with some of the best coaching and funding to support him out of all the flyweights given his relative celebrity. 

When you consider Flyweight is one of the most shallow divisions in the sport (along with Bantamweight and Heavyweight) this may be the most primed Olympian to cross over into MMA in regards to being a champion ever and the fact that he barely scathed by Chico Camus is eye opening. Although, following Cejudos career in the Olympics we will know he's one to rise to the occasion, he was down in every wrestling match at the 2008 games only to come back from the jaws of defeat to cement the win each time. So while I'm skeptical, I am awaiting his next fight to see if he can also rise to the occasion then. I hope he is given a stern test, Benavidez, Dodson, Bagautinov preferably but even Formiga, McCall, Lineker, Moraga, Makovsky, Borg, Horiguchi and several others are step ups from who he has faced up until now. 

-The Nomad Newton Einstein Chomsky DeGrasse Dawkins III

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

yossgold
yossgold

06.14.2015 | 2:09 PM ET

And he beat them. Neither are easy to finish and Cejudo is still relatively young in his MMA progression. Just because he won a gold medal in wrestling doesn't make him a finisher.

He won the fights, looked so-so in all of them and what would you expect? Look at Phil Davis, he's been doing this **** for years and still can't strike for **** nor finish anyone in the top 20.

No one said Cejudo's going to eventually turn into a world beater just because he's a great wrestler. All he has is a great base to build on and a proven ability to excel. The rest is yet to come (or not) and since he's starting higher up on the ladder than your average UFC newcoming prospect, naturally he won't be ripping through them. As of now, the goal is to win and improve.

* Edited at 06.14.2015, 2:11 PM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Gramz
Gramz
  • Predictions:  7,369  |  65.5%
  • Forum Posts:  337
  • Post Score: 232

06.14.2015 | 4:57 PM ET

He just beat two tough veterans in both Cariaso and Camus. Barely looked in trouble in either fight.

It would be wise for him to progress slowly, he's only been fighting MMA since March 2013. He's only going to get better.

A good fight for him next would be Formiga next. Maybe Makovsky.

* Edited at 06.14.2015, 4:57 PM ET *

"My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud." - Henry Rollins

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,515  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

06.14.2015 | 7:22 PM ET

I so think he has great potential, I just wish he would sub or tko someone.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

yossgold
yossgold

06.15.2015 | 12:34 AM ET

Why is finishing such a prerequisite for you people? He's beating guys that have been doing this at a high level for much longer than him without too many problems, he's been doing MMA for 2 years and already has relatively high-level striking and has his wrestling base, once he learns how to put them all together in an MMA fight he may be pretty damn good ... finishing is the bonus not the main course in MMA.

Let's not forget this is the Flyweight division, you don't count finishes in this division, you enjoy the much higher technique level, the versatility, the fact that cardio lasts for the whole 5 rounds. This is why the casual fan doesn't like this division, I've come to expect more of frequent Tapology guys than I do of the casual fan. If you're looking for finishes go watch Shawn Jordan, he either finishes or gets finished in every fight. It's ugly to watch but you've got your just bleed wow moment.

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

06.15.2015 | 2:41 AM ET

But I think DJ gets finishes because he's so much more technical than everybody else and DJ finishes people when he wants to and would probably easily take down a guy like Chico Camus. But for Cejudo, he doesn't have the technique to finish fights too often even if he wants to and from what I've seen he can't dominate this division with his wrestling like he may have thought.

* Edited at 06.15.2015, 2:47 AM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 2 months, 3 weeks, 1 day, 21 hours, and 36 minutes from now.
Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

06.15.2015 | 2:59 AM ET

Honestly I feel Cejudo is 5-6 fights away from being discussed for title fight. I think far too often highly hyped young fighters are moved to the front before they are actually ready. Now obviously you have gems like Jon jones, but the majority aren't remotely like him. Let Cejudo develop and actually figure out his style of fighting because as of now he gets mopped by DJ. 

Yoss as to your point I agree with you about finishes not being the end all be all of qualifier for a quality fight. However I do think when comparing P4P guys that guys that regularly finish with similar bodies of work to guys with a lot of decisions that finishers should be ranked ahead of the others. 

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  32,174  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,974
  • Post Score: 195

06.15.2015 | 3:28 AM ET

It would be better for Cejudo's career right now if he lost. Flyweight is too thin for them to hold back a guy like Cejudo from a title shot as long as they would need to for him to be ready.

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

06.16.2015 | 2:22 PM ET

@Yoss

Flyweight is a division where 28 does not mean the same as 28 at Middleweight. On top of this, Cejudo has been wrestling his entire life all the way through the Olympics and isn't a stranger to bad weight cuts and injuries. The reality is, he doesn't have a few years to find himself like Kyoji Horiguchi does even if he's young in MMA. His body has been through more than most Flyweights and he's arguably in or just outside of his athletic prime. The fact that he's so much wealthier than the rest of the Flyweights besides maybe one or two guys has to help. He gets to have the best coaches cater to him, his own nutritionist and whatever else he wants. We are seeing the blood spinning athletes are doing, the machines that go to below -200°F, the gravity tanks etc...let's not pretend that having the access to all of that without financial worry isn't an advantage to most his counterparts. 

Okay, I got a bit off subject. At 28, with years of boxing experience and credentials, an Olympic gold medal and a 9-0 record (3-0) we are all anticipating his shot at the title. Even us who think he would lose to many guys in the division. Whether he becomes a world beater or not, we are all waiting to see. The fact that he just had a controversial decision vs Camus where he was outstruck and couldn't land a takedown to save his life...that is surprising....Look at the guys Camus has lost to, look where Camus is ranked never a top 10 caliber guy in either of the two shallowest divisions and he proved to be Cejudo's ceiling. That is surprising to me. 

Also finishing is irrelevant to me when it comes to someone's performance. I don't think I mentioned his inability to finish, he's a Flyweight. 

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

yossgold
yossgold

06.16.2015 | 2:55 PM ET

I agree with what you guys are saying though not 100% sure this fight proved Camus to be his ceiling. Maybe it is, maybe it's just an off night, maybe it's the bad taco.

I don't know, was never that high on him nor has he made me a fan, I just think that on account of his accolades he's been thrown into a deeper tank than others with his number of fights and into a division where you get pretty high up the ladder pretty fast. Both Camus and Cariaso are very tough so I'm not going to refer to the fact that he didn't finish them as a way to assess just how good he can be in a year or so.

One thing's sure though, he's going to have to learn how to his incorporate his wrestling into his all-around MMA game if he wants to get anywhere because as of now it looks like he wants to strike and then fall back on his wrestling when it doesn't work (like many wrestler seem to want to do). The real greats are the ones that aren't "ashamed" of their wrestling and put it all together. He's got a much better striking base than most top caliber wrestlers have and he's peaking physically. I agree though that in the lower weight classes he needs to his his MMA prime pretty much now or he'll end up a "what if".

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : UFC books Tracy Cortez vs. Miranda Maverick for summer showdown
  • MMAFighting.com : Maycee Barber vs. Rose Namajunas targeted for UFC Fight Night headliner on July 13
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Money Doesn’t Equal Emotional Intelligence
  • MMA Mania : Meet UFC Vegas 92’s ‘Miracle’
  • MMA Junkie : Rising Japanese star Tatsuro Taira books first UFC main event vs. Alex Perez on June 15
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL announces dates, locations for 2024 playoffs
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media
  • MMA Mania : Rampage Vs. Briggs Falls Apart Amid Promoter Fraud Concerns
  • MMA Junkie : Bellator champion Patchy Mix: 'I can't get the respect that Sean O'Malley has'
  • MMAFighting.com : Alex Perez vs. Tatsuro Taira now expected to headline UFC event on June 15
  • MMA Mania : ‘My Dream Was To Become Champion’
  • MMA Junkie : 'Age doesn't matter': Mike Tyson, Jake Paul discuss experience vs. youth dynamic of boxing match
  • MMAFighting.com : Alex Pereira shows menace, humor in new Topps commercial
  • Middle Easy : Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson Presser Highlights: Kid Asks Boxers Who Has Higher ‘Body Count’
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Tyson warns Jake Paul he will be fighting for his life; Paul responds
  • MMA Mania : Shake-Up! Perez Vs. Taira Now Headlines UFC Vegas 93
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Mike Tyson and Jake Paul go nose-to-nose in first Tyson vs. Paul faceoff
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Mike Tyson, Jake Paul have playful faceoff at first press conference in New York
  • MMA Junkie : Colby Covington: Belal Muhammad 'squatting on his ranking,' doesn't deserve UFC title fight
  • Middle Easy : BKFC President David Feldman Talks Conor McGregor’s Fighting Future, Teases Two ‘UFC Legends’ In Talks to Join Promotion