Tapology Forums

GSP vs. Hendricks Rematch

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

11.18.2013 | 7:44 PM ET

If you think Hendricks will win the rematch, upvote me.

If you think GSP will win the rematch, downvote me.

Their first fight was vicious and epic.  I consider it GSP's greatest fight.  You may disagree.

All of GSP's fights have a special tingle in the air.  Seems like everyone is calling for a rematch as soon as GSP can recover and go again.  I would also like to see it, too.

The question is who will be more likely to win the rematch.  Both learned a massive amount about the other from their first fight.  Who is more likely to improve for the rematch?

I think GSP will use the information gained the most.  He knows how hard Johny hits.  He knows how strong he is.  He knows how hard it is to take him down, how hard to hold him down.

Johny learned how hard GSP hits, kicks, how fast he moves, and his likely game-plan.

Here is what I think is the crucial difference.  GSP fought Hendricks the first time with the belief he could take him down.  Now he realizes that might not be a sensible game-plan.  He had no Plan B.  So he stood in the pocket and traded.

Next time around, he will not stand and bang.  He will use guerilla warfare.  Hit and run, bob and weave, in and out, like Sugar Ray Leonard beat Marvelous Marvin Hagler.  He will fight Hendricks like Frankie Edgar fought BJ Penn.  He will conquer power with speed, agility and brains.

Firas Zahabi and Greg Jackson will never again allow GSP to fight such a dangerous striker like that again. Ever.  Why would they?  

It's possible Johny Hendricks could change up his game-plan, too.  But what sensible options would he have?  He could try more take-downs and ground and pound, but it seems he doesn't like that kind of fight.  He likes to stand and bang.  

In the 4th round, GSP slipped and Hendricks jumped on him.  But for inexplicable reason I'll never understand, Hendricks decided he didn't want to stay on top and attempt to finish with ground and pound.  And he stood up and let GSP up!!!!!  

Why a decorated wrestler would make such a fool-hardy decision is beyond my understanding.  He's a wrestler for Christ's sake!!!!  I suppose he believed you don't win fights with wrestling.  Or he had no confidence in his ground and pound skills.  So, I doubt he will opt for a wrestler's game-plan.

When Hendricks said he will only get better, he seemed to forget GSP also trains intensively to improve.

* Edited at 11.18.2013, 7:56 PM ET *

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

Responses Page 2

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

11.19.2013 | 12:56 AM ET

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

11.19.2013 | 12:59 AM ET

@Bill, Jones got out because the UFC is racist and wants all black champions to legitimize themselves to the American audience because I mean come on look at the NBA or NFL.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

11.19.2013 | 9:22 AM ET

Hendricks has a medical suspension until May 17, 2014, unless cleared by an orthopedist for his right knee.

* Edited at 11.19.2013, 9:29 AM ET *

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

11.20.2013 | 5:22 PM ET

Dana White is now strong-arming GSP
.http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1857050-dana-white-gsp-has-to-defend-the-belt-or-retire?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=mma

GSP might owe former manager millions.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1858396-gsp-could-lose-millions-to-ex-mananger-in-litigation-court-papers-show?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=mma

According to court documents, he might owe her the following.

The court docs show ... the judge agreed with Shari and ordered GSP to cut a check for $737,066.35 -- which the fighter paid back in April. 

But there's more ... the judge also ordered GSP to pay Shari's management company the following:

-- 20% of future revenue on various UFC Pay-Per-View fights
-- 20% of royalties earned under a 2008 UFC merchandising contract
-- 5% of future revenues from sponsorships she apparently helped him earn (including Affliction and RUSHFit). 

A source familiar with the case tells us ... Shari's final cut could be worth several million dollars.

Wow!  That sounds like a lot of money.  His relationship with that femaile manager might have been a fatal attraction!

* Edited at 11.20.2013, 5:23 PM ET *

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

11.20.2013 | 5:35 PM ET

I interviewed GSP twice back in the day for the Tapology Blog and did so through Shari Spencer. I also interviewed her on more than one occasion. Who knows what's going on here. Obviously it wasn't an amicable split. I'm sure if she's winning court battles, he does owe her money. It's impossible to come to reasonable judgements about either or them or his new management in this situation. We're not privy to the details and we really have no right to them. 

Unfortunately, this is just what happens at the top of the sports world, particularly when it comes to combat sports. I linked to an article over in the Pacman/Rios thread explaining how most top boxers (including Pacman) will eventually become destitute because of all the hands reaching into their pockets. 

And we all knew GSP would be forced into a rematch whether he wants it or not. 

I'm sure Anderson dealt with a similar thing following his loss to Weidman in July. 

Whether we want to admit it or not, we're complicit in these acts to some small degree just by ordering every PPV these guys are one. I wish nothing but the best for Georges and his career, but I hope he fights because he still has the passion for it and I hope everything works out for him in the end.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

11.20.2013 | 5:51 PM ET

If GSP says he will retire and not fight Hendricks, I can't be mad at him. However, Georges either needs to call it quits or go into training at 100%. He can't be sitting on the fence here.

Professional fighting is so grueling that you have to pretty much be insane to do it. The moment you feel you're not up to it, that's when you gotta call it quits.

I watched the Tyson documentary last night. He said that his last fights (from the Holyfield ear incident on) he had absolutely no will to fight much less win. Don't want to see that with GSP.
Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

11.20.2013 | 6:05 PM ET

I really feel for GSP.  He's my idol.  I say that without apologies.  I further think he's one of the best things that ever happened for the UFC.  No one has pulled in more revenue for the organization.  His representing his sport is without blemish.  To say he owes the UFC anything is curious and frankly, ungrateful.

To suffer possible brain damage in defense of one's title, and then have your boss publicly flog you is beyond unconscionable.  Dana White is the most ungrateful son of a ***** I've seen in years.  As far as I'm concerned, they could fire him and I'd toast his dismissal.  

There is no doubt that GSP will be pressured into a rematch, even if he's going through a nervous breakdown.

Jon Jones got out of a needed automatic rematch just by refusing it.  GSP is in a lot worse shape and will be forced to fight or stripped of his title.  What unmitigated ******** the UFC is capable of.  

One week, White proclaims GSP the greatest, most classy guy in the UFC, and the very first close fight he has, he throws him under the bus.  He runs over his carcass and backs over it 3 times to be sure.

It's a real pity that the UFC has this kind of power of good men.  And a prime reason the UFC desperately requires a strong trade union, to prevent this exact low grade of BS.

If I were Frank or Lorenzo, I'd fire Dana now, send letters to Fitch, Okami, Ben Askren, & Cyborg, saying the madman is gone and our door is open to you.

* Edited at 11.20.2013, 6:12 PM ET *

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

11.20.2013 | 6:10 PM ET

@amp  I hear you but right at this moment, GSP might be dealing with temporary brain damage issues, to a slight degree, and a massive legal challenge.  

Don't you have the compassion to cut the guy even a little slack and let him decompress and relax and settle down for 2-3 months?  They gave Dominick Cruz almost 2 years and didn't harass him.

Don't you agree GSP has given all of us a lot of good things and we can let him fix a thing or two in his life?  
Just what do we have to lose if we just step back and let the guy breath.  He just went through hell.

* Edited at 11.20.2013, 6:13 PM ET *

Trapper
Trapper
  • Predictions:  746  |  57.9%
  • Forum Posts:  65
  • Post Score: 255

11.21.2013 | 9:35 AM ET

"If SAMBO was easy it would be called Jiu Jitsu"

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : 5v5 - Wilder vs Zhang: Live updates and results NOW!
  • MMA Junkie : Niko Price vs. Alex Morono prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC 302
  • MMAFighting.com : Belal Muhammad: Islam Makhachev could go up to 185 and ‘beat Dricus du Plessis right now’
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302: Islam Makhachev vs. Dustin Poirier live stream watch party at 9:45 p.m. ET
  • Middle Easy : Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul Postponed Following Boxing Legend’s Health Condition
  • MMA Junkie : FanDuel Promo Code | Bet & Win $150 in Bonus Bets for UFC 302: Makhachev-Poirier & More
  • MMA Junkie : From Las Vegas brawl to UFC 302: How Ailin Perez vs. Joselyne Edwards grew into a heated grudge match
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302: Islam Makhachev vs. Dustin Poirier live stream watch party
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Wilder Vs. Zhang Results, Streaming Updates
  • Middle Easy : Video: Kayla Harrison Slams Alex Pereira Hard To The Mat With Powerful Judo Throw
  • MMAFighting.com : Paulo Costa believes impressive UFC 302 performance can vault him to title shot
  • MMA Mania : ‘Mom Doesn’t Want Me To KO You’
  • MMA Mania : UFC 302 Start Time, Full Fight Details!
  • Middle Easy : ‘Proud Dad’ Conor McGregor Shares Video Of Son Conor Jr. Earning First BJJ Stripe In Ireland
  • MMA Junkie : Kevin Holland vs. Michal Oleksiejczuk prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC 302
  • MMAFighting.com : Matt Brown explains what Dustin Poirier needs to do to beat Islam Makhachev at UFC 302
  • MMA Junkie : Javier Mendez confident Dustin Poirier's guillotine won't work on Islam Makhachev at UFC 302
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 start time, fight card, TV schedule for Islam Makhachev vs. Dustin Poirier, Sean Strickland vs. Paulo Costa
  • MMA Mania : Zhang Vs. Wilder Start Time, Fight Card Details
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 302 predictions: Five blowout picks in Newark, but are upsets looming?