Topic: Glover Teixeira

Okay, lets get real.

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Idrownfish
Idrownfish
  • Predictions:  1,759  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,407
  • Post Score: 241

08.21.2013 | 12:02 PM ET

Glover Teixeira has absolutely no chance against Jon Jones. I am not talking about having little chance, I am saying that unless a miracle submission happens, Glover will get absolutely demolished.

Have you guys seen his past fights? He might have a (very ******* small) chance in the ground, but when standing up, he will get murdered (and since there is no way Jones will allow Teixeira to take him down, that is where the fight will take place). His entire "striking game" is a counter right hook (or, if his opponent leaves his chin up, a left hook. Lol.), and if Jon Jones matches well against counter strikers (the round Machida stole from him has nothing to do with his godlike counters and a lot to do with karate, IMHO) imagine what he would do against a limited counter puncher who simply can't adapt and who would have no tools to nullify his reach advantage?

What I am saying is: the difference in skills is as bad as in Jones vs Gustaffson, and the stylistic match up is as bad as in Jones vs Sonnen. Literally every other top-10 has more of a chance than him. Glover's gameplan will probably be waiting for a meteor to fall on Jon's head, and he will apparently get a title shot if he gets past Ryan Bader... Why?

* Edited at 08.21.2013, 12:02 PM ET *

"Let's just say if we fought again I wouldn't need to keep my hands up." - Luke Rockhold on Michael Bisping's punching power

Glover Teixeira

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Name: Glover Teixeira
  • Pro MMA Record: 33-9-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: N/A
  • Current Streak: 2 Losses
  • Last Fight: January 21, 2023 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Light Heavyweight | Last Weigh-In: 205.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: N/A
  • Height: 6'2" (188cm) | Reach: 76.0" (193cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $1,203,000 USD
  • Born: Sobrália, Minas Gerais, Brazil
  • Fighting out of: Bethel, Connecticut
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,174  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

08.21.2013 | 12:18 PM ET

I agree, but who DOES have a chance against Jonny?

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

08.21.2013 | 12:19 PM ET

Anderson Silva.

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

Gebe
Gebe
  • Predictions:  2,174  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,292
  • Post Score: 198

08.21.2013 | 12:25 PM ET

we'll see after the second Weidman bout if Andy still has it

"Fighter by day, Lover by night"

C_Arnoud
C_Arnoud
  • Predictions:  3,914  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  2,448
  • Post Score: 200

08.21.2013 | 12:26 PM ET

but let's think about the other side of the issue.
what will Jones do to hurt Teixeira on the feet?

the way i see it, Jones has to take it to the ground if he wants a finish.
that gives Glover chances.
Standing with Glover for five rounds also gives him a chance.

The fights against Rashad and Rampage were not that impressive, so why would Glover have NO chance.
I think you are wrong sir.
cal1
cal1
  • Predictions:  22,053  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,001
  • Post Score: 251

08.21.2013 | 12:41 PM ET

Gotta defend the title against someone. 

"UFC 151 NEVER FORGET"

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,765  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,789
  • Post Score: 273

08.21.2013 | 12:47 PM ET

I have said this before in MMA and it's slapped me in the face. Anyone has a chance, especially when you are at the highest level of MMA and your opponent has trained 100 % for the fight. Glover needs a little more time before a title shot, and I think Ryan Bader isn't the kind of opponent who is gonna really test him. He needs to work on his head movement and he relies on his left and right hooks too much as you said. I think his ground top control is very strong, but we haven't seen the guy on his back really. He's so dominate in his fights it's hard to say how he would deal with adversity. I think that is the problem, we haven't seen him in a war where he was tested in the UFC.

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  21,159  |  71.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

08.21.2013 | 1:13 PM ET

"Literally every other top-10 has more of a chance than him."

Que??? I think you're reaching dude, or you don't have Phil Davis, Hendo, Lil Nog, Bader or Shogun in your top 10...

Teixeira is very methodical, he always comes out the same way, swings his hooks and if he feels like it he takes it to the ground. He's also very methodical with his BJJ from what I've seen, he relies on the same moves on the ground as well.

But his style obviously works, he has crazy power in those hooks and his BJJ is deadly too. I don't know why Idrownfish thinks Glover is a counter puncher though, since he really isn't. He comes forward with realative good head movment, some solid boxing and tries to take your head off.

Joe Rogan said Glover's cardio is very good (no clue how much there is too it) so I see Jones winning a decision against Glover maybe similar to the Shad fight but I give Glover a decent chance since we don't know how his guard is nor do we know how good his wrestling really is or how he deals with the reach of JBJ.

I actally think Gustafsson will be the easier fight...

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

08.21.2013 | 3:08 PM ET

I don´t think Glover has much of a chance, but he definetly won´t be JBJ easiest prey, the three main problems I see for Glover against Jones is his striking defense which is very bad imo, his limited offense not that is bad but as some of you have been saying is pretty much always the same, which takes me to my last point Glover fights the same  just like @diele said he is methodical, so its easy for a coach like Jackson to prepare a strategy to fight Glover which Jones is very good at execuiting. the way I see it Jones can win by TKO stoppage or more likely a decision if Glover shows heart and is tough enough to last 5 rounds.

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

Idrownfish
Idrownfish
  • Predictions:  1,759  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,407
  • Post Score: 241

08.21.2013 | 3:22 PM ET

Teixeira is a counter puncher. It just doesn't seem like it because he favors countering jabs: he presses forward, his opponent tries to keep him away with a quick jab and gets floored. The problem is that Jones is an incredibly intelligent fighter, and when Glover presses forward one of the following two things are gonna happen:

1) Glover presses forward slowly and doesn't reach Jones, who explodes and takes him down.
2) Glover tries to explode and reaches Jones. Jones then, instead of jabbing, retreats even faster and extends his arm at the level of Glover's head. Glover hesitates and eats a punch. 

Also, as you guys have said, Glover is very methodical, and I don't think that is a good thing for this fight. You won't outsmart Jon Jones. As methodical and disciplined as Machida is, Jones eventually understood what he had to do to beat Machida at his own game, and then take him down. That is why prime Anderson Silva vs prime Jon Jones would be so exciting: the one who figured the other out faster would win. Unfortunately, the age difference means that Anderson and Jones will never be at their primes at the same time, and I think that nowadays Anderson should be a -250 underdog to Jones, at least.

@dielegende23  I admit that I exaggerated when I said that any top 10 has a better chance than Glover, but Hendo and Phil Davis definitely do. Yes, it is a small chance, but at least they wouldn't be -1000 underdogs entering the fight.

* Edited at 08.21.2013, 3:26 PM ET *

"Let's just say if we fought again I wouldn't need to keep my hands up." - Luke Rockhold on Michael Bisping's punching power

dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  21,159  |  71.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

08.21.2013 | 4:05 PM ET

"@dielegende23  I admit that I exaggerated when I said that any top 10 has a better chance than Glover, but Hendo and Phil Davis definitely do. Yes, it is a small chance, but at least they wouldn't be -1000 underdogs entering the fight. "

Nope I don't think so, Glover ****s on Hendo's striking and Davis is only good at wrestling a skill Jones is much better at. Also Glover won't be a +1000 dog, I can assure you that much.

Anyways we both think Jones will win the fight so why argue :P

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

OldManGloom
OldManGloom
  • Predictions:  109,651  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  9,505
  • Post Score: 254

08.21.2013 | 4:21 PM ET

I think that there are only two men with a legit shot at beating Bones, and they'll be facing off for the heavy weight strap very soon (Cormier would be the only other man I'd consider, but I think Jones would be favored in that one).

"When the system fails you you create your own system."

C_Arnoud
C_Arnoud
  • Predictions:  3,914  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  2,448
  • Post Score: 200

08.21.2013 | 4:29 PM ET

@Idrownfish i think what you're doing should be considered a type of MMA Math.
You are fighting the fight on your mind before it even happens, so why have a sport at all?
You take away too much of the game when you simplify things that much. 
Jon Jones can and will make mistakes if he fights long enough, nobody is perfect.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Charles Oliveira Open To Colby Covington And Max Holloway Superfights
  • MMAFighting.com : Stamp Fairtex out of June fight, U.S. card after serious knee injury
  • Jits Magazine : IBJJF Baton Rouge Open 2024 Features Several Top Competitors
  • MMA Mania : SWATTED? Armed Police Disrupt ‘Suga’ Show
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Armed Police Disrupt ‘Suga’ Show
  • MMA Junkie : Kamaru Usman: Belal Muhammad not a 'high-enough level of a wrestler' to beat Leon Edwards at UFC 304
  • MMA Mania : Silva-Sonnen 3 Proposed As MMA, But Sonnen Targeting ‘Gamebred’
  • MMA Junkie : Islam Makhachev's coach: Arman Tsarukyan passing up title shot 'right call from him'
  • Middle Easy : Chael Sonnen Reveals October Boxing Clash with Jorge Masvidal in the Works
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 304 adds Oban Elliott vs. Preston Parsons
  • MMA Mania : ‘That’s The Fight!’ Edwards And McGregor Share Mutual Interest
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Saudi Arabia adds several bouts for Robert Whittaker vs. Khamzat Chimaev card
  • Middle Easy : Conor McGregor Addresses His Comments on Sean O’Malley, Goes Off on Ilia Topuria, and Targets Leon Edwards in Wild Livestream
  • MMA Junkie : Tyron Woodley plans on MMA return, blames 'wack' UFC Apex for recent performances
  • Middle Easy : Demetrious Johnson Not Interested in Usyk vs. Fury Rematch, Urges ‘The Cat’ to Retire: ‘There’s Nothing Left He Can Prove’
  • MMA Mania : Aspinall: ‘Next Fight After Blaydes Has To Be For Undisputed Title’
  • MMAFighting.com : Sean O’Malley reveals crazy story after fake police call: ‘They said I killed my parents’
  • Middle Easy : Tom Aspinall Hopes to See Oleksandr Usyk and Tyson Fury Run It Back, Will ‘Wait Out’ for Jon Jones After Blaydes Fight
  • MMA Junkie : Conor McGregor rips UFC champ Ilia Topuria: ‘He reminds me of a retarded Artem Lobov’
  • MMAFighting.com : Conor McGregor trashes UFC champ Ilia Topuria: ‘He reminds me of a little r*tard Artem Lobov’