Topic: Silva vs. Hamill

Silva vs. Hamill

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,619  |  73.7%
  • Forum Posts:  17,552
  • Post Score: 60

08.08.2013 | 1:12 AM ET

This is the official discussion thread for Silva vs. Hamill. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses

foley4ever87
foley4ever87
  • Predictions:  7,048  |  60.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,092
  • Post Score: 86

08.08.2013 | 1:12 AM ET

Prediction: correct Silva   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Hammill is fighting more as a hobby now it seems than as a career, he is coming in with almost a year of ring rust and his last win was to an opponent that wasn't really UFC material in my opinion

" Stephen Quadros: "How long have you had that mustache?" Don Frye: "Since I was 5. I got it from my mom's side of the family. She's not a pretty woman.""

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,515  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

08.08.2013 | 1:28 AM ET

That, and he's 37, wasn't ever even that good to start off with AND Thiago Silva is a vicious beast. Thiago is one of the only fighters in the UFC who I think actually likes hurting people. Maybe Paul Harris too, but Thiago definitely takes enjoyment in smashing faces in, it's not just the the win he likes.

I have no idea why Hamill decided to unretire, I've never been in a top athlete's shoes so I don't have that spark that they have that always tells them they can be the best even when reality says otherwise, but this fight has brutal 1st round KO written all over it and I predict Hamill will retire again.

He's a nice guy, but he doesn't like getting hit in the face, which is a bit of a problem in this sport.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

ED209
ED209
  • Predictions:  7,297  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  3,437
  • Post Score: 213

08.08.2013 | 1:32 AM ET

Prediction: correct Silva   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

I think at one point Hamil had all the potential in the world. but yeah at this point I can't see him dealing with Thiago

"30-26 Tim Boetsch"

yossgold
yossgold

08.08.2013 | 3:02 AM ET

I don't think he could ever go that far ... he had gatekeeper written all over him at best. Even at his peak, his striking was awful, cardio suspect, almost non-existent fight IQ and being deaf means you can't hear your corner during a fight which also adds difficulty, plus even as a wrestler ... he was good, but he wasn't a prodigy wrestler, just a strong wrestler, nothing more, nothing less.

I think his wins over washed up Keith Jardine and Tito Ortiz made people think he had more potential than he actually had. We keep forgetting that at the time Tito fought with a fractured spine, no knees and watermelon peel replacing his shoulder blades ... not like now, when he's healthy and in the best shape of his life building a new brand under a company who cares about him ;)

* Edited at 08.08.2013, 3:03 AM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

2 Nyce
2 Nyce
  • Predictions:  19,158  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,852
  • Post Score: 214

08.08.2013 | 3:07 AM ET

I agree 100%.    ^^
blitzkrieg
blitzkrieg
  • Predictions:  4,528  |  61.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,449
  • Post Score: 285

08.08.2013 | 11:34 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Hamill   wrong Decision  

I always liked watching Hamill fight, but I really dont see the point in him continuing to fight, especially guys like Tito, Thiago, Rampage, Franklin, Jones, Gustafsson, I mean come on, whoever picked these match ups for him shortened his fighting career in half and probably his life by 10 years.

"@AndySalasMMA"

Card
Card
  • Predictions:  3,852  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,128
  • Post Score: 176

10.07.2013 | 12:03 AM ET

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

10.07.2013 | 12:30 AM ET

Thiago is going to hit him so hard he"ll hear it.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,137  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

10.07.2013 | 12:34 AM ET

^ Says the moron who was in the Fallon Fox thread calling people bigots for being insensitive...dummy.

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

Nomad
Nomad

10.07.2013 | 12:45 AM ET

The difference is I made a joke while the hate for Fallon is utterly sincere. Im not sorry if my sense of humor offended you though.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

ED209
ED209

10.07.2013 | 1:15 AM ET

I don't have any hate for Fox but I do not think she should be allowed to compete against real women. 

"30-26 Tim Boetsch"

Nomad
Nomad

10.07.2013 | 1:26 AM ET

Its not call to imply Fox isnt a real woman but..I agree Ed.

ED209
ED209

10.07.2013 | 1:32 AM ET

Yeah, well agree to disagree on the legitimacy of her gender eh?

Anyway, on topic... I've been going back and fourth on this one. I think Hamill will surprise everyone here though.

"30-26 Tim Boetsch"

Nomad
Nomad

10.07.2013 | 1:37 AM ET

Silva KOs Feijao and this fight gets lined up, it makes no sense unless Zuffa hates Hammil. I hope Matt goes to 185, he will look small next to Silva too.

I dont care if we ever agree Ed, I can still respect your opinions and gain from your perspectives. I just dont see why its necessary to call her a illegitimate woman when voicing what you did...People kill themselves over gender issues, its a real thing. Sorry for being so serious, its a touchy subject for me.

yossgold
yossgold

10.07.2013 | 4:09 AM ET

@Nomad I think that when they match up the Brazil cards they tend to set it up so that the Brazilian wins ... 

Also, Silva's rank has dropped substantially due to non-fighting issues, so he's ranked beneath his skill level, so from a rankings point of view it sorta makes sense. It's a Brazil card, they've got a Brazilian fighter who's back on the rise so they matched him up with the first LHW who "made sense" yet is very beatable. They need as much Brazilian "names" as they can with 13 shows planned there in 2013 and Thiago Silva is a big name when he's winning and not pissing heat ... he's a finisher and he's already got the fanbase to headline some Brazilian shows if he can put together some sort of a win streak ...

PEACE
PEACE

10.07.2013 | 5:15 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Hamill   wrong Decision  

Didnt realise Matt was 37...this might get real ugly. 

"I probably think you're a ****."

AllHailKrull
AllHailKrull
  • Predictions:  1,522  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,672
  • Post Score: 180

10.07.2013 | 5:48 AM ET

Hopefully not as ugly as his last fight.

"People say ‘oh, so you should retire.’ Yeah, you want me to retire so you won’t get knocked out. - Vitor Belfort"

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,888  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

10.07.2013 | 6:27 AM ET

Prediction: correct Silva   correct Decision  

I hate to continue the off topic discussion that's occurred here, but I have to pose the question....

I understand that the implication that a transgendered woman is not a "real" woman is offensive to transgendered women.  Now, I say "live and let live."  I don't want to offend anyone over something that likely caused them a lot of anguish in their lives.  I don't mind calling them "real" women (or "real men" on the other side of things), however the reality is there is a distinction between them and people that were born female that sometimes has to be referred to.  I guess the question is, in the context of a conversation with a transgendered person or about transgendered issues, is there a PC way to refer to females that were born females without calling them "real women?"
AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,888  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

10.07.2013 | 6:29 AM ET

Prediction: correct Silva   correct Decision  

As far as the fight....back in 2008-09 this would have been a competitive fight.  Now, I don't expect Hamill to be able to do much other than endure a beating for 3 rounds. 
yossgold
yossgold

10.07.2013 | 7:43 AM ET

I don't think he can endure a beating, that was never his strong-face ... I say he turtles up in the first round and retires again ... 

* Edited at 10.07.2013, 7:43 AM ET *

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Karine Silva will keep 'unreachable' callout secret for one more fight after UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMA Junkie : Ketlen Souza unwilling to take breaks after scoring first octagon win at UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMAFighting.com : Bogdan Guskov promises to keep delivering exciting fights after UFC Vegas 91 win: ‘I love blood’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 winner Maheshate felt 'extra burden' after consecutive losses
  • MMA Mania : Covington On ‘Nobody’ Garry: ‘He’s Not Serious’
  • MMAFighting.com : Bryan Barberena announces UFC exit, calls for ‘real brawler’ BKFC battle with Mike Perry
  • MMA Junkie : Austin Hubbard admits he was 'super nervous, stressed out' before UFC on ESPN 55 win
  • MMA Junkie : Charly Arnolt details historic impromptu UFC cage announcer role: 'I was scared of messing up'
  • MMAFighting.com : Paddy Pimblett responds to UFC 300 callouts from Renato Moicano, Bobby Green
  • MMA Junkie : 'LokDog' Vinicius Oliveira gets Ricky Simon in first fight since UFC Knockout of the Year candidate
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 winner Don'Tale Mayes wants quick return on hometown Louisville card
  • MMA Mania : ‘My Style, It’s Worst Style For This Guy Dustin’
  • MMAFighting.com : Thiago Alves retires from combat sports after Mike Perry knockout loss at KnuckleMania 4
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Ryan Garcia shows Colby Covington left hooks after Donald Trump meetup in Florida
  • MMAFighting.com : WATCH: Swedish fighter delivers incredible faceplant knockout in pro debut
  • MMA Junkie : GLORY Kickboxing vet Jhonata Diniz ready for 'big names' at heavyweight after UFC on ESPN 55 win
  • MMA Mania : Video: Garcia Striking Tips Open Colby’s Third Eye
  • MMAFighting.com : Alex Perez on UFC main event knockout: ‘My friends always call me pillow hands, so now they can’t’
  • Middle Easy : Islam Makhachev Says Dustin Poirier Is A ‘Tough Fight’, Wants Arman Tsarukyan Next
  • MMA Junkie : Mick Maynard's Shoes: What's next for Alex Perez after UFC on ESPN 55 upset win?