Topic: Josh Barnett

Josh Barnett: Return to the UFC Is "Realistic" and Most Intriguing Fight Would Be Frank Mir

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

edwinx1903
edwinx1903
  • Predictions:  1,280  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,039
  • Post Score: 245

05.14.2013 | 7:36 PM ET

"The Warmaster" Josh Barnett

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Joshua Lawrence Barnett
  • Pro MMA Record: 35-8-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: The Warmaster
  • Current Streak: 1 Win
  • Last Fight: September 03, 2016 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Heavyweight | Last Weigh-In: 256.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: UWF USA
  • Height: 6'3" (191cm) | Reach: 78.0" (198cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $1,940,000 USD
  • Born: Seattle, Washington, United States
  • Fighting out of: Seattle, Washington
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,413  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,488
  • Post Score: 203

05.14.2013 | 7:41 PM ET

I have been waiting too long for Barnett vs Mir.. It must happen. I will just sit here .. and wait.. 

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654
  • Post Score: 158

05.14.2013 | 9:36 PM ET

Barnett vs. Mir would be sick!!!! A fight that many old school hardcore MMA enthusiasts have been waiting for ever since Barnett beat Randy Couture. Both are great offensive submission fighters with very good stand-up skills, and both are large HWs. I actually think that Barnett has the cardio to outlast and defeat Mir, but if Mir gets off early, he could make it a short night for Barnett. Either way it's a great fight, and I would love to see it happen.

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

05.15.2013 | 1:50 AM ET

Barnett ****** up by not taking the deal they were going to give him. I doubt he makes it to the UFC after turning down an offer he wouldn't have gotten without coming off a win. Who else is he going to fight? Fedor if he comes out of retirement? You should have signed when you had the chance Josh, I was a big defender of you making your return, now I don't think you deserve it.

* Edited at 05.15.2013, 1:50 AM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 2 months, 2 weeks, 6 days, 18 hours, and 25 minutes from now.
yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,540  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

05.15.2013 | 3:12 AM ET

@mikeyg, as far as I remember Dana said that he respected Barnett's decision and that the offer's still on the table if he wants it, probably knowing that with all his "philosophical reasons" for not taking the UFC's offer he was basically fishing for more (or some kind of MMA/Pro wrestling opportunity), knew he wouldn't get more or close to what they offered him and come back.

So in this case, no one ****** up, Josh tested the free agency waters, saw no one's going to offer him the 250K a fight he got at Strikeforce (or even remotely close to that) and came back to take the lesser yet better than everyone else's UFC offer.

Pure business here, no one ****** up, imo.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

jaykool777
jaykool777

05.15.2013 | 3:36 AM ET

@ yossgold - once again, spot on!!!! You took the words right out of my mouth.

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

mikeyg
mikeyg

05.15.2013 | 3:58 AM ET

@yossgold Pardon me for not taking Dana that seriously anymore or that I don't follow every little thing he says as I have a life outside MMA. Dana also said Phillipe Nover was the next Anderson Silva, take what you hear from him with a grain of salt or risk becoming a gullible shill. Dana already didn't want to deal with Barnett in the first place...even said at one point Barnett would NEVER come to the UFC again, so you show your hypocrisy by taking what he says to heart so much. And if Barnett was to lose his next fight, I guarantee any future deal is off the table. Dana is obviously looking for winners, and Barnett beats any HW outside zuffa yes, and I think Barnett should be in the UFC, but he DID **** up with the brass by turning down that deal.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 2 months, 2 weeks, 6 days, 18 hours, and 25 minutes from now.
yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,540  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

05.15.2013 | 4:32 AM ET

Well of course the deal would be off the table if Barnett lost his next fight. If he lost to any one of the heavyweights outside the UFC he'd no longer be worth the same deal they offered him would he?

I was just saying that it doesn't look like the UFC brass took Josh's refusal to their offer as personally as you think.

Josh Barnett is a "nice to have, not at all cost" for the UFC, they don't take that **** personally. He's no prime Fedor.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

jaykool777
jaykool777

05.15.2013 | 4:36 AM ET

@ mikeyg - I don't think that yossgold was taking anything that Dana White said to heart, I think he was more on the point  with what Barnett might've been thinking at the time of the deal. Hell, look how many times Tito Ortiz and Dana White have been at odds over money, PPV options, and just personal **** in general. Personally, I don't think that Barnett ****** up, he was just exploring and seeing if he had more lucrative options, or at least something that could match what he was getting paid in Strikeforce, and it looks like that he doesn't. Barnett was getting a pretty good paycheck from Strikeforce, so why wouldn't he want to see if it couldn't be better or matched somewhere else, especially with the given history between Barnett and Dana White, and knowing that if Barnett fights for the UFC it will be cut in pay?

MMA is a growing sport, and it's popularity is only getting bigger. With a sport becoming popular, especially as quickly as MMA's popularity has grown, there is always going to be the business side of it. Athletes want to get paid, and promoters want to make a nice profit from their organizations, and somewhere in the middle they meet/compromise where they both feel good about the deal. I think that's all that's going with Barnett and the UFC.

* Edited at 05.15.2013, 4:38 AM ET *

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

MMATycoon
MMATycoon
  • Predictions:  7,154  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  887
  • Post Score: 227

05.15.2013 | 6:23 AM ET

This is great news. I really hope we get to see Babyface inside the UFC octagon again.

"www.mmatycoon.com"

jmcdowell
jmcdowell
  • Predictions:  1,448  |  63.7%
  • Forum Posts:  450
  • Post Score: 188

05.15.2013 | 8:32 AM ET

I hope this happens, Barnett is a beast

"“I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious” - Lombardi"

edwinx1903
edwinx1903
  • Predictions:  1,280  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,039
  • Post Score: 245

05.15.2013 | 10:28 AM ET

If Barnett vs. Mir happens, I would pick Barnett to beat Mir by decision.

* Edited at 05.15.2013, 10:28 AM ET *

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,482  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

05.15.2013 | 11:53 AM ET

^ yep, Barnett has better striking and has the far better takedowns, add that onto his smothering top game and I think he will likely beat Mir.

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

mikeyg
mikeyg

05.15.2013 | 4:15 PM ET

@jaykool, No, he said if he remembers right Dana said this or that and that Barnett didn't **** up, this in implicit endorsement of what Dana says, and in fact he is taking what Dana says to heart if he thinks Barnett didn't botch his possible only deal he might ever get to come back...Tito is a hall of famer, a former long time champ and Josh tested positive 3 times, he's a huge liability to be asking for big money, he's being stupid. Tito never got popped, there's a big difference in those examples. Barnett didn't **** up? where else is he going to fight? and who? he's going to be horridly inactive like he was before if he didn't sign with zuffa. His only option is Bellator, if they will even pay him anything close to what the UFC would, probably not.

Barnett ****** up, not saying he won't get another shot, but it will probably be for less money, which is a ****up along with pissing off the brass, they never like guys who turn down an offer. Remember Fitch?
mikeyg
mikeyg

05.15.2013 | 4:16 PM ET

@yossgold, That's the one part you address of my post? if he lost? that was one microcosm of what I was saying. I guess you don't remember Jon Fitch, that guy who turned down his last deal and got his ass booted from the company for being too expensive, and he might never return again for it along with his fighting style.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : UFC Fight Pass Invitational 7 Full Results And Review
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Watch ‘Demolidor’ Rescue Dogs From Brazilian Flood
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 92: Best betting props, parlays and picks
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 92: Best Betting Props, Parlays And Picks
  • MMA Junkie : 'Reborn' Ramiz Brahimaj returns to UFC with new perspective after 'nasty' injury jeopardized career
  • MMA Mania : ‘Two Or Three Times Bigger!’ Saudi Arabia Has Big Plans For Second UFC Event
  • MMA Junkie : UFC matchmaker Mick Maynard offers insight on scouting regional talent
  • MMAFighting.com : No Bets Barred: Breaking down Tyson Fury vs. Oleksandr Usyk, UFC Vegas 92, and Bellator Paris
  • Middle Easy : Joe Rogan Believes MMA’s Current Rule Set Favors Strikers: ‘I Don’t Think People Should Stand You Up, Ever’
  • MMA Junkie : Carlston Harris hopes UFC Fight Night 241 win leads to 'good names' like Neil Magny, Geoff Neal
  • MMA Mania : Video: Gorimbo Breaks Down After Coach’s Mother Dies On Media Day
  • MMA Junkie : UFC Fight Night 241's Vinicius Salvador guarantees first-round KO of Adrian Yanez: 'Write it down'
  • MMAFighting.com : Tyson Fury vs. Oleksandr Usyk full fight card
  • Middle Easy : Tim Welch Rates Mike Tyson’s Chances vs. Jake Paul: ‘Early On, He’s Gonna Be Scary’
  • MMA Mania : Barboza The BMF? ‘Who Has Better Highlight KOs Than Me?’
  • MMAFighting.com : Ring announcer Dan Hennessy retiring after viral screw up: ‘No longer the world’s punching bag’
  • MMA Junkie : 'Only Mancunian' Lerone Murphy appreciates full circle moment, crosses fingers for UFC 304
  • MMAFighting.com : Cédric Doumbé: Anthony Pettis fight ‘99 percent’ a done deal
  • UFC.com : Meet Middleweight Mark Hulme | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • MMA Junkie : UFC veteran Edson Barboza calls for BMF title fight vs. Max Holloway: 'I think I deserve that'