Topic: Nogueira vs. Schaub

Nogueira vs. Schaub Predictions

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,883  |  73.9%
  • Forum Posts:  17,701
  • Post Score: 60

06.03.2011 | 10:21 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Schaub   wrong Decision  

This is the official prediction commentary thread for Nogueira vs. Schaub. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 3

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

07.24.2011 | 5:36 PM ET

Prediction: correct Nogueira   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

probably the nelson knockout at tuf finale hurts him in some people's eye's. i sure he wants to fight nelson again. if they both win or both lose their next fights it should happen.
SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

07.24.2011 | 5:37 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Schaub   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

JDS would be too fast...Cain would out wrestle him yes in his prime...Unfortunately as sports progress the athletes that get involved get better and better 

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

07.24.2011 | 5:41 PM ET

Prediction: correct Nogueira   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

@mino .. I would pick Mir Velasquez JDS Lesnar and Carwin to beat Fedor.. 

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

SoccerKick
SoccerKick

07.24.2011 | 5:42 PM ET

@Thiago oh yeah...Lesnar would be way to big and fast and out wrestle him

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794

07.24.2011 | 5:43 PM ET

Is that sarcasm ?? Because I actually agree with what you just said? ha

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,575
  • Post Score: 275

07.24.2011 | 5:44 PM ET

@mino 3 fighters:

- Cain, who I think is just too well-rounded and too well-prepared
- Bones Jones, who is now so good I don't think it would even be close
And (you are going to kill me)...
- The Lesnar of 2009. Fedor wouldn't have had the wrestling to avoid at least 1 or 2 takedowns, and once on his back he would be trapped under a 50 pound weight disadvantage and TKO'd like Mir.

As for JDS it's hard to say. Both fighters are all about speed, power, and fast reflexes. I think the prime-Fedor was just a little faster and would beat JDS to the punch.

"I live, I die, I live again."

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

07.24.2011 | 5:44 PM ET

@thiagosilva Would Mir have beat him?

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

Gregory
Gregory

07.24.2011 | 5:45 PM ET

@thiago I don't think Mir or Carwin would have lasted 3 minutes with at-peak Fedor.

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794

07.24.2011 | 5:46 PM ET

Oh I thought we were talking about the Fedor of now??... Id still pick Mir to win but not Carwin.

SoccerKick
SoccerKick

07.24.2011 | 5:54 PM ET

@Thiago no I absolutely think Lesnar's size speed and wrestling would have owned a prime Fedor

krazyhopz
krazyhopz
  • Predictions:  14,820  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  2,098
  • Post Score: 158

07.24.2011 | 5:59 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Schaub   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

@soccer i agree 100%

"Everyone has a gameplan 'till they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

07.24.2011 | 6:00 PM ET

@greg, I don't know about Lesnar man. I recently re watched the second Mir fight (everyone should check this out) and Mir rocked Lesnar hard against the fence. Not with the knee as he was getting taken down, but with punches. Lesnar almost turtled up like he did against Carwin and Cain. He recovered by taking Mir down because of his lack of footwork and TDD, but I think Prime Fedor's speed and power would be too much for Lesnar. I also think Fedor's chin is as good as it gets in MMA and he wouldn't have gotten tko'd and I doubt Lesnar would do too well in Pride after that first 10 minute round. 

Velasquez is still untested in my eyes. In 4 or 5 fights (or one really impressive win over JDS) before we see how good he really is. He got hurt bad against Kongo a few times, and out striking Zombie Nog doesn't really show us how good of a striker he is. Outside of the Nogueira and Lesnar fights he has shown a lack of power (whether he's improved that or just fought two guys who can't take punches remains to be seen), and although his wrestling is good Fedor's sprawl, footwork and range control would be tough for such a green fighter to deal with. Cain has the raw skills to be great but at this point we just don't know. 

Then Jones... I just don't buy the hype yet. I think most of his dominance comes from a size and strength advantage rather than a technique advantage, and he wouldn't have that against Fedor. Again, I could be wrong about that, we'll have to see both when he fights some guys he can't rag doll and when he makes the inevitable move to heavyweight. Also when I visualize that fight, I just see Fedor jumping in with those huge looping hooks he used to throw, and just putting Jones out. 

"We Are All One"

Gregory
Gregory

07.24.2011 | 6:23 PM ET

You might be right. We'll never know :(

minotauro11
minotauro11

07.24.2011 | 6:40 PM ET

Yeah, it's all speculation. I'm not a Fedor "nut hugger" by any means like the guys you see on some of these forums. In fact I almost always root against him. When I see someone who I think would beat him, I'll say it, I just think he was way too good. 

Of everyone listed I'd say Cain would stand the best chance, and if he runs through every contender he could change my mind.

"We Are All One"

Gregory
Gregory

07.24.2011 | 6:47 PM ET

When a Fedor fight starts my heart literally starts pounding out of nervousness. Same with Bones Jones.  Also happened in BJ vs GSP 1 when all of a sudden GSP's face was all ****** up.  It was so intense I thought I was going to have a heart attack.

jersey0525
jersey0525
  • Predictions:  2,766  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,536
  • Post Score: 188

07.24.2011 | 6:50 PM ET

on the subject of fedor in his prime, and fighters who COULD beat him...i go to 3 names...all for various reasons and all with potential to win or get crushed..this is for @minotauro to chime in on honestly..so for the sake of arguement, i'll pick three different fighters than above post.

1. shane carwin - while his 2 losses have put his stock in rollercoasters HUGE drop, he still has a power advantage over anyone...ANYONE...fedor was great at avoiding takedowns, and the ropes in pride wouldve hurt carwins chances for that...however, carwin is MASSIVE..and also would make fedor a little hesitant to get in wild exchanges...carwins chin is solid...he's never been ko'd, which may not always be a good thing (see cabbage vs tim sylvia), but it shows he too has a good chin...in the end, i believe it would be a matter of who gets there first..and most of the time i'd take fedor in that.

2. JDS - i love this guys boxing! he's ****n amazing with his punches! him and fedor would have some vicious back and forth exchanges, and the first one to crack lost...that would be almost 50/50.

3. randy couture - let the eye rolls commence! i honestly believe the couture that just beat sylvia would give fedor the best fight out of anyone...in a cage. coutures one of the best at using the cage to his advantage, but in the pride ring, his dirty boxing and leaning on his opponent would be nullified...couture always came prepared, and thats why i'd give him 60/40 over fedor

thoughts?

"im an OT (ORIGINAL TAPOLOGIST), I used to write for cagepages.com. NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT LEFT HAND SHOT"

SoccerKick
SoccerKick

07.24.2011 | 6:51 PM ET

Wont get any argument out of me about Couture!!!

Gregory
Gregory

07.24.2011 | 6:55 PM ET

I just don't think Couture or Carwin would have been fast enough.  Fedor in his prime was SO damn fast, his timing was off the charts. 

minotauro11
minotauro11

07.24.2011 | 7:17 PM ET

@jersey, of those three, I think JDS would stand the biggest chance. Technique wise, JDS may have the edge, he has a great jab and is amazing at distances, but then I think about the Fedor vs. Cro Cop fight. Fedor out struck prime Cro Cop! It was unbelievable! Of course JDS and Cro Cop have different styles, but I just don't see any heavyweights out striking Fedor (in MMA, kickboxing is a different story). I'd love if JDS won this hypothetical fight, but I would give the edge to Fedor, and set the line at Fedor -200 and JDS +250 or +300.
I don't think Carwin could pull it off. I think Carwin is an awesome fighter and is getting a bad rap because of the JDS and Lesnar fights, but I just think Fedor would be too fast (as Gregory said). Plus Fedor has a chin of granite, and I don't think Carwin could knock him out unless he was able to hit him clean and hard 3 or 4 times. I'd put Fedor at like -500 if I were an oddsmaker.
Finally, Couture. I'm glad you mentioned him because that was the epic fight everyone wanted to see, and I hadn't even thought of it today. Again, I'd have to take Fedor in this fight though. Randy has so much heart and determination you could never count him out of a fight. He also provides a very interesting match up for Fedor because he hasn't faced many dirty boxers. In the Pride ring I'd give it to Fedor hands down. No cage to be bullied against and soccer kicks and knees off failed takedowns. In the UFC i'd give Couture a much bigger hope, but I still think Fedor's hands would be too much for him. I'd put Fedor at around -350 against a prime Couture. 

I added in the odds part because you guys probably know I'd pick Fedor over anyone at this point, so I wanted to make it more a bit more interesting. Should we start a new thread on hypothetical Fedor fights?

"We Are All One"

jersey0525
jersey0525
  • Predictions:  2,766  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,536
  • Post Score: 188

07.24.2011 | 7:20 PM ET

@nog appreciated man

"im an OT (ORIGINAL TAPOLOGIST), I used to write for cagepages.com. NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT LEFT HAND SHOT"

Page 3

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Israel Adesanya Is ‘Coming for Heads,’ Not Titles, When He Makes Return to the UFC
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Anderson Silva gives Chael Sonnen a rose in their faceoff ahead of boxing match in Brazil
  • Middle Easy : Chael Sonnen Refuses to Make the Same Mistake in Boxing That He Did in MMA Against Anderson Silva
  • MMA Junkie : Jake Paul says he would ‘kill’ Sean O’Malley, wants to fight at UFC 303 before Mike Tyson bout
  • Middle Easy : Sean O’Malley’s Coach Questions the Quality of Conor McGregor’s Sparring Partners Ahead of UFC 303
  • MMA Junkie : Ex-GLORY Kickboxing champ Simon Marcus resumes path toward UFC
  • MMA Junkie : Joshua Van relieved to make it to UFC on ESPN 58 fight week after several bout cancellations
  • Middle Easy : 19 Year-Old Raul Rosas Jr. Chasing After Jon Jones’ UFC Record: ‘I Got 4 Years To Break It’
  • MMA Junkie : Why UFC contender Merab Dvalishvili decided to no longer 'chase the finish' in fights
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Could be over early’: Ellerbe says Tank does everything better than Martin
  • MMA Junkie : Beneil Dariush no longer chasing UFC fight vs. Dustin Poirier: 'That shipped has passed'
  • Middle Easy : Report: Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler ‘Not Looking Good’, UFC Is Hoping For ‘Plan B’ Or ‘Plan C’
  • MMA Junkie : Daniel Cormier: Middle finger was not directed at Jon Jones in UFC 'Fight Inc' documentary
  • Bad Left Hook : Espinoza signs with Top Rank ahead of June 21 title defense
  • Bad Left Hook : Golden Boy undercard for June 27 show headlined by Fulghum vs Ellis
  • Middle Easy : Dricus Du Plessis ‘Ready’ To Face Israel Adesanya, ‘Would Love’ To Fight Khamzat Chimaev If He Beats Robert Whittaker
  • MMA Junkie : Dricus Du Plessis: Robert Whittaker beating Khamzat Chimaev at UFC on ABC 6 doesn't warrant title shot
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I want to be the Serena Williams of boxing’: Shields on future goals, July return
  • MMA Junkie : Israel Adesanya 'coming for heads,' not UFC championship belts
  • MMAFighting.com : Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler fight ‘very much in limbo’ for UFC 303