Topic: Ulysses Gomez

Ulysses Gomez doesn't want a hometown favorite

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

JM Barrie
JM Barrie
  • Predictions:  7,885  |  54.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,624
  • Post Score: -69

02.20.2013 | 12:33 AM ET

Ulysses Gomez arrived at a different score than the unanimous call against him this past weekend at UFC on FUEL TV 7.

Shocked at scores of 30-27, 29-28, and 30-27 in favor of Brit Phil Harris (22-10 MMA, 1-1 UFC) in the evening's first bout, Gomez (9-4 MMA, 0-2 UFC) immediately went back to his hotel room, got out a pen, and counted the strikes he landed against his opponent.

"The first round, I out-struck him almost three to one," Gomez today told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "I landed like 20-some strikes and 15 or 16 leg kicks. He got six punches. That was clearly my best round. If you ask anybody, they all said they had me winning that round, but none of the judges gave me that round. So if that was my best round, and nobody gave me that round, I don't understand."

Gomez, a former Tachi Palace Fights flyweight champ, said that while in-arena replays showcased Harris' work, he was unaffected by the majority of the Brit's attacks, save for a cut that opened near his eye.

"If you look at the fight, more often than not, he was coming forward, but there was a good portion of the fight where I was backing him up, as well," he said.

After the Feb. 16 fight, he said he was approached by knowledgable fans who disagreed with the call despite Harris' hometown hero status.

"They kind of gave me that, 'I'm glad he won, but he didn't win,'" Gomez said.

The flyweight veteran said he found further proof in his win when he met Harris after the fight. The Brit could barely walk after taking so many leg kicks, he said.

Gomez isn't the only one scratching his head at some of the calls at the event, which took place at London's Wembley Arena. UFC President Dana White blasted a judge that gave British fighter Che Mills all three rounds against Matthew Riddle, and UFC Vice President of Regulatory Affairs Marc Ratner said the promotion will take internal action after he voiced his disagreement with the call.

A slight majority of MMA media outlets scored the bout in favor of Gomez. (MMAjunkie.com scored it 29-28 for "Useless"). And while Gomez said he appreciates the job MMA judges, he would prefer not to fight under the circumstances he faced in London.

Meaning, he's opposed to fighting a local in front of local judges.

According to MMADecisions.com, a website that tracks scoring in major MMA events, none of the scoring officials that night had worked in stateside events, though two had significant international experience.

"You can get a fair shake, and if I'd finished the fight, I would have never had this conversation in the first place," Gomez said. "But I don't think I got the best shake in that situation.

"I would love to fight in London again, just not against an English guy."

The question is whether he'll get another opportunity with the UFC. Now 0-2 inside the octagon – a short-notice fight at UFC on FOX 4 with current flyweight contender John Moraga ended in a first-round KO loss – Gomez might be on his way back to the regional circuit, where several flyweights wait to take his spot.

"I understand I'm 0-2, so if I get cut, I understand," Gomez said. "I've had two chances in the UFC to win, and if they want to give Darrell Montague a chance, then hey, I had my chance. I can't complain.

"But if they give me one more fight, I'm definitely not going to lose. And I'm definitely not going to win a decision."

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/02/if-he-gets-another-ufc-fight-ulysses-gomez-doesnt-want-a-hometown-favorite

//

whatever dude.   you let a grappler box you

"1. Avoidant personality disorder _______________2. Maladaptive daydreaming"

Ulysses "Useless" Gomez

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Name: Ulysses Gomez
  • Pro MMA Record: 9-5-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: Useless
  • Current Streak: 3 Losses
  • Last Fight: September 12, 2014 in RFA
  • Weight Class: Bantamweight | Last Weigh-In: 135.8 lbs
  • Affiliation: Cobra Kai Jiu Jitsu
  • Height: 5'6" (168cm) | Reach: 68.0" (173cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $10,000 USD
  • Born: Los Angeles, California, United States
  • Fighting out of: Las Vegas, Nevada
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

02.20.2013 | 12:35 AM ET

29 - 28 Mills
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 4 months, 2 weeks, 6 days, 14 hours, and 30 minutes from now.
MadMikeXD
MadMikeXD

02.20.2013 | 12:38 AM ET

Lol^

The judges were terrible at this event.

I actually missed Gomez's fight.Only fight I missed.Was it really a robbery?
sreimuth
sreimuth
  • Predictions:  79,892  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  4,245
  • Post Score: 262

02.20.2013 | 12:41 AM ET

No, it was close. I scored it 29-28 Harris. Neither fighter did much, both looked like crap.

"Under my tutelage, you will grow from boys to men. From men into gladiators. And from gladiators into Swansons.- Ron Swanson https://www.instagram.com/seanreimuth/ Follow me."

MadMikeXD
MadMikeXD

02.20.2013 | 12:44 AM ET

In that case,I'm not to upset about missing it.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : EBI 21: The Absolutes Full Preview
  • Jits Magazine : 10 Types Of BJJ Guards Grapplers Should Know
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! BJJ Star Craig Jones Dumps $1 Million In Cash On Rogan’s Desk
  • MMA Mania : Lima Inks Bellator Contract Extension
  • MMA Mania : ‘No One’s Feeling Sorry For You’
  • MMA Junkie : MMA Junkie's Fight of the Month for May: Steve Erceg gives commendable test to Alexandre Pantoja at UFC 301
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping: Dustin Poirier's record 'smokes' Islam Makhachev's
  • UFC.com : A SUBTLE APPROACH TO SUMMER
  • MMA Mania : Tsarukyan ‘Should Thank’ Makhachev For UFC Career
  • MMA Junkie : 'EA UFC 5' continues roster expansion with four free fighter additions
  • Middle Easy : Joe Rogan Believes It All Fell Apart for Alexander Volkanovski After the Makhachev Rematch: ‘I Thought He Won the First Time’
  • MMAFighting.com : Benoit Saint Denis eyes UFC fights in Manchester and Paris, ‘more determined than ever to become the champion’
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Accuses Conor McGregor of PED Use Ahead of UFC 303 Return: ‘He’s Out of His Mind’
  • MMA Junkie : 'Eagle is landed': Khabib Nurmagomedov returns to corner Islam Makhachev at UFC 302
  • MMA Mania : ‘Diamond’s’ Kryptonite? Khabib Confirmed Back At UFC 302
  • MMA Junkie : Ilia Topuria on how Sean O'Malley fight would go: 'I can do with him whatever I want'
  • MMAFighting.com : Khabib Nurmagomedov will serve as cornerman for Islam Makhachev at UFC 302
  • UFC.com : This Week On UFC FIGHT PASS | May 27, 2024 - June 2, 2024
  • MMA Mania : ‘Everything Fell Apart’ For Volkanovski
  • MMAFighting.com : Talita Bernardo vs. Olga Rubin title fight headlines Invicta FC’s return in June