Topic: Rua vs. Gustafsson

Rua vs. Gustafsson

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,676  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,585
  • Post Score: 60

08.19.2012 | 5:25 PM ET

Prediction: correct Gustafsson   correct Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Rua vs. Gustafsson. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 2

CashBrewyn
CashBrewyn
  • Predictions:  21,572  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  4,045
  • Post Score: 212

08.30.2012 | 9:18 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Rua   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

the timing of december probably wouldn't of worked out but still if I known about this event before 149 happened I probably would of considered changing my plans

"My hearts pumpin' the blood of Royce Gracie My thoughts dumpin' the slug and point straightly"

DelRose
DelRose

08.31.2012 | 12:17 AM ET

Not much of a fan of rua, but damn I would actually like to see his UFC win record stretch further than his losses.

"That hole is tighter than a nuns nasty"

JustynOfOsiris
JustynOfOsiris
  • Predictions:  4,334  |  57.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,239
  • Post Score: 122

08.31.2012 | 12:23 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Rua   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

I think Rua has looked pretty bad since the Dan Henderson fight and I think he is nearing the end of his career. With that being said I was also quite unimpressed with Gustafsson in his fight with Thiago Silva. I don't think either man has very good cardio and I anticipate  this turning into pretty much a slug fest like the Rua?Vera fight, however I think Gustafsson wins the decision.

"Is reality really realistic?"

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,482  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

08.31.2012 | 12:26 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Rua   wrong Decision  

I seriously cant decide who to pick, Shogun is one of my favorites but he just doesnt look motivated anymore and is coming in pudgy more times than not.

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,395  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

09.01.2012 | 11:44 PM ET

Gustafsson via decision. More precise when it comes to striking. better cardio. 

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

AllHailKrull
AllHailKrull
  • Predictions:  1,522  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,672
  • Post Score: 180

09.02.2012 | 12:16 AM ET

Not buying the Gustaffson hype. i think he is a great fighter but i don't think he can hang with the top 5

"People say ‘oh, so you should retire.’ Yeah, you want me to retire so you won’t get knocked out. - Vitor Belfort"

Mayhem14
Mayhem14
  • Predictions:  778  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  270
  • Post Score: 77

09.11.2012 | 9:10 AM ET

@AllHailKrull I'm half hoping and half thinking he can. It's too early to tell, but he's dominated top 15 fighters, so heres to hoping he can **** on Jones

"I don't believe in an eye for an eye, I believe in two eyes for an eye." -Bas Rutten

HitmanDK
HitmanDK
  • Predictions:  889  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  146
  • Post Score: 132

09.12.2012 | 5:50 AM ET

Rua didn't look good in the Vera fight (imo), and it was freaking Vera, which makes me favor Gus. Gus has tons of potential and has looked excellent and could have the skills to beat Shogun. I don't think he would finish him though.
But who knows, Shogun might go TD's and work his jiu jitsu in this fight. Then we would see how good Gus' ground game has become, he's had good TDD for a while. 

I got Gustafsson by decision.

"They are welcome to boo me but they have to pay for the privilege."

hiblet
hiblet
  • Predictions:  26,857  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,043
  • Post Score: 208

09.12.2012 | 9:07 PM ET

Rua has had too many hard fight and there isn't much left in the tank for him
Mayhem14
Mayhem14
  • Predictions:  778  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  270
  • Post Score: 77

11.20.2012 | 2:18 PM ET

I dont see Shogun beating Gustafsson. He really shouldn't be counted out of this fight. Everyone is saying "Shogun, KO" "Shogun, GnP" but tbh, I don't see it. The last guy Shogun KO'd with his "ground and pound" was Forrest Griffin, who is irrelevant at this point. Brandon Vera is sloppier, slower, and less powerful than Gustafsson, but his ability to take a hellish beating is undeniable. He had Shogun in trouble, and the only thing that finished him was an accumulation of punches. Guatsfsson won't get hit by Shogun in the first place, so it really isn't an issue. Gustafsson by picking apart a gassed shell-of-his-former-self in Shogun

* Edited at 11.20.2012, 2:19 PM ET *

"I don't believe in an eye for an eye, I believe in two eyes for an eye." -Bas Rutten

MQuestionable
MQuestionable
  • Predictions:  7,456  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,603
  • Post Score: 284

11.20.2012 | 2:21 PM ET

Shogun is one of my favorites, but I don't think he is going to win.  Gustafsson is the future.
FresnoMMA
FresnoMMA
  • Predictions:  56,315  |  68.6%
  • Forum Posts:  7,436
  • Post Score: 204

11.20.2012 | 2:26 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Rua   wrong Decision  

Wishful thinking for me picking Rua.  I think if Gusafsson sticks to a game plan of picking Rua apart on the feet he will win this decisively, but if Shogun can drag him into a brawl then he wins.
WishIsHere
WishIsHere
  • Predictions:  24,429  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  7,003
  • Post Score: 232

11.20.2012 | 3:51 PM ET

Prediction: correct Gustafsson   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

Rua is actually getting in good shape (based on looks) compared to his last few fights, so we might see a motivated Rua this time out.

"I bought a Bruno mars cd once - gunn4206"

cal1
cal1
  • Predictions:  22,053  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,001
  • Post Score: 251

11.20.2012 | 4:13 PM ET

I think Shogun gasses hard in the 2nd, becomes a slowly moving heavy bag for Gus to work on.

"UFC 151 NEVER FORGET"

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

11.20.2012 | 4:16 PM ET

Prediction: correct Gustafsson   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

I think the mauler wins this one, my only issue is whether or not he can finish Shogun and his granite chin.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 1 week, 2 days, 22 hours, and 57 minutes from now.
jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654
  • Post Score: 158

11.26.2012 | 3:32 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Rua   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

The last time Shogun faced a tall fighter with good reach, he was made to look like an amateur, but Gustafsson is not Jon Jones. Gustafsson's reach might cause some problems for Shogun on the feet, but Shogun has a very dangerous submission game. Usually Shogun likes leglocks, but his overall BJJ game is one of the best at 205. Gustafsson's weakness has been his submission defense. I really like both fighters, and a win by either one would be just fine with me, but if I were a betting man, my money would go on Shogun by submission in the 2nd or 3rd round.

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

EliteClubFighter
EliteClubFighter
  • Predictions:  288  |  68.4%
  • Forum Posts:  611
  • Post Score: -135

11.30.2012 | 5:10 PM ET

Gus is seriously the favourite here? I feel like people are picking gus because other people are picking him/talking them into picking him.

Even if marciano shogun shows up (vera/hendo shogun) he will still have a high chance of KO'ing or TKO'ing the mauler. Let alone if shogun actually comes in shape and motivated.. are you kidding me? That's going to be a one sided beat down from mars.

Shogun is the better technical striker (when he wants to fight that way) and obviously the better power striker. He has underrated TD's and can take gus down. Gus is very hungry but shogun has fought the best and is used to fighting the best, gus on the other hand is still VERY VERY green. 

Can't wait for this hype train to be derailed. 
EliteClubFighter
EliteClubFighter

11.30.2012 | 5:16 PM ET

jay, isn't there only a .5 reach advantage for gus? lol
TraeBlack
TraeBlack
  • Predictions:  20,845  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  8,700
  • Post Score: 173

11.30.2012 | 5:18 PM ET

as much as i like Shogun, he will get his **** pushed back, and TKO' d in the second round, after getting picked apart in the first, and gasses out by swinging at the air

"3HUNNA"

EliteClubFighter
EliteClubFighter

11.30.2012 | 5:37 PM ET

Yea, trae. Because gus is more evasive and a better technical striker then machida. Right? Gus has a very amateur boxing striking style. Not a pro boxing style, which would obviously be more suited for MMA. What will he do when/if shogun gets him in his nasty clinch? People seem to forget how deadly shogun is from the clinch. 

Gus may have the ''slight'' edge in boxing. Which I don't even think he has, shogun has better muay thai and is just over-all more well rounded. Shogun definitely has the better striking, the better takedowns and the better jiu jitsu. What advantage does gus really have? Is he really faster then a motivated shogun?  And as I said, even if that shogun doesn't show up, HE WILL connect eventually. Simply put, shogun is a world class MMA fighter while gus is, as I said, VERY green.

In boxing even, there are different styles. And you can be the most technical boxer in the world and still get knocked out by a guy who is a better ''power boxer'' then you. It isn't that shogun isn't as good technically, it's that most of the time shogun uses the style he likes to use, if he chose to, he would pick gus apart.

People seem not to realize there is a difference between good power strikers and technical strikers. Shogun possesses both of these traits while gus only displays one. Shoguns chin has been tested, gus's hasn't. Watch hendricks vs kampmann for me please.

* Edited at 11.30.2012, 5:54 PM ET *

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : MMA Junkie Radio #3461: Daniel Cormier and Austin O'Connor interviews, UFC preview, more
  • MMA Junkie : Joaquin Buckley aims for 'viral moment' in St. Louis homecoming fight at UFC on ESPN 56
  • MMA Mania : Dolidze Vs. Pereira Added To UFC Louisville
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC heavyweight Tai Tuivasa to appear on The Amazing Race Australia
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jared Cannonier Was Offered Paulo Costa At UFC 301, Admits Next Fight ‘Wasn’t What I Wanted’
  • MMA Mania : Jones: ‘Intern’ Champ Aspinall ‘Just As Selfish’ To Wait For Undisputed Title Fight
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘This is retirement for him’: Kambosos expects to end Lomachenko’s career with KO
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘This is retirement for him’: George Kambosos expects to end Vasiliy Lomachenko’s career with KO
  • Middle Easy : Stipe Miocic Reveals Timeline For Jon Jones Fight as ‘Bones’ Doubles Down on Ducking Tom Aspinall
  • UFC.com : Road To UFC Season 3 Matchups
  • MMA Junkie : Jared Cannonier vs. Nassourdine Imavov headlines UFC Fight Night in Louisville
  • MMA Junkie : Islam Makhachev predicts guillotine choke will lead to Dustin Poirier's downfall at UFC 302
  • MMA Mania : PFL MENA Weigh Ins Results, Staredowns!
  • MMAFighting.com : Derrick Lewis thought Popeyes was key to longevity, believes he’s in his prime ahead of UFC St. Louis
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 1 star Art ‘One Glove’ Jimmerson dies at 60
  • MMA Junkie : Jon Jones steadfast in Stipe Miocic fight over unifying UFC titles: 'I’m in the middle of a pretty clear decision'
  • MMAFighting.com : Roman Dolidze vs. Michel Pereira set for UFC Louisville
  • MMA Mania : Is UFC Leaving ESPN For Netflix?
  • UFC.com : Art Jimmerson, 1963 - 2024
  • MMAFighting.com : Jon Jones justifies decision to fight Stipe Miocic next over ‘another potential hype train’ Tom Aspinall