Topic: Benavidez vs. Johnson

Benavidez vs. Johnson

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,794  |  73.9%
  • Forum Posts:  17,656
  • Post Score: 60

07.19.2012 | 10:01 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Benavidez   wrong Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Benavidez vs. Johnson. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses

foley4ever87
foley4ever87
  • Predictions:  7,073  |  60.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,092
  • Post Score: 86

07.19.2012 | 10:01 AM ET

Kinda the fight everyone has been waiting to see should be very entertaining to watch but I think Benavidez has got this one covered.

" Stephen Quadros: "How long have you had that mustache?" Don Frye: "Since I was 5. I got it from my mom's side of the family. She's not a pretty woman.""

fglop
fglop
  • Predictions:  1,625  |  70.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,061
  • Post Score: 150

07.19.2012 | 10:16 AM ET

Benavidez should win easy.
MMA4LIFE00
MMA4LIFE00
  • Predictions:  14,692  |  64.5%
  • Forum Posts:  648
  • Post Score: 66

07.19.2012 | 6:18 PM ET

Benavidez vs McCall would have been awesome but I've wanted to see this fight since the WEC was around. Benavidez has better wrestling and more punching power and that should win him the fight.
MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,435  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,488
  • Post Score: 203

07.19.2012 | 6:19 PM ET

IM GONNA SEE THIS **** LIVE GODDDDAM! 

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

07.19.2012 | 6:20 PM ET

I see a 5 round war. 

WAR JOE BI WAN KENOBI 

RockZ
RockZ
  • Predictions:  242  |  65.7%
  • Forum Posts:  457
  • Post Score: 137

07.19.2012 | 10:10 PM ET

If both come in top shape, there is little reason why Benavidez loses. He is the better striker, the better grappler, and has more power. Neither has been finished, and both have great chins and sub defense, so I think the most likely outcome will be Benavidez via decision. Should be an awesome fight.

"Sure the fight was fixed. I fixed it with a right hand. - George Foreman"

skeet2b
skeet2b
  • Predictions:  8,330  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  1,703
  • Post Score: 158

07.19.2012 | 10:38 PM ET

Im gonna go with Benavidez too, I think it will be a 5 round war but Benavidez will pull off the decision

"A true champion, face to face with his darkest hour, will do whatever it takes to rise above. A man fights, and fights, and then fights some more. Because surrender is death, and death is for *******"

MQuestionable
MQuestionable
  • Predictions:  7,456  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,603
  • Post Score: 284

07.19.2012 | 10:40 PM ET

Benavidez domination
Jmad
Jmad
  • Predictions:  885  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  126
  • Post Score: 106

07.19.2012 | 11:57 PM ET

I agree MMA4LIFE00. I would have rather seen McCall vs Benavidez, I thought Ian won that first fight but gassed early in the 2nd bout. I think Joe should win this won handily.

"'I'm going to beat you to a living death." -Ken Shamrock on Tito"

StealingFire
StealingFire
  • Predictions:  171  |  65.5%
  • Forum Posts:  921
  • Post Score: 155

07.20.2012 | 4:22 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Benavidez   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

JB by whatever he wants. And then maybe Dana will see that it's time to do some recruiting. Flyweight prospects abound.

"Prepare for an eternity of me kicking your ass. -Hank Hill"

Mr_Quondam
Mr_Quondam
  • Predictions:  229  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  58
  • Post Score: 148

08.24.2012 | 10:38 AM ET

Prediction: correct Johnson   correct Decision  

Mighty Mouse had a harder road in the tournament and I think he's going to be hungrier.

"The one who doesn't fall, doesn't stand up." - Fedor Emelianenko

Card
Card
  • Predictions:  3,852  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,128
  • Post Score: 176

08.24.2012 | 12:32 PM ET

I'm thinking this is going to be a close fight... Mighty mouse can steal some rounds with takedowns.
MMAOPcom
MMAOPcom
  • Predictions:  261  |  57.9%
  • Forum Posts:  9
  • Post Score: 78

09.02.2012 | 10:04 PM ET

Benavidez will take this fight quite handily, but due to MM's toughness and losses only via decision, Benavidez via UD is probably the most accurate prediction.

"MMA:OP (MMAOP.com) is dedicated to intelligently discussing and deconstructing UFC & MMA."

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

09.02.2012 | 10:20 PM ET

This is an amazing fight, quite possibly the first 5 rounder I am actually hoping to see go the full 25. Got my tickets ready for this event, pumped. 

GET RID OF FITCH
GET RID OF FITCH
  • Predictions:  41  |  56.1%
  • Forum Posts:  14
  • Post Score: -21

09.03.2012 | 12:02 PM ET

mighty mouse will run away fro 25 minutes as usual still PISSED because Mccall got screwed in first mouse fight
jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654

09.03.2012 | 12:16 PM ET

Benavidez is definitely going to be the bigger/stronger fighter coming into this fight, but Mighty Mouse's speed and overall wrestling ability could prove to cause problems for Joseph. Both fighters train with great camps and bring a lot to the table. This fight all comes down to who is more prepared, puts together the better gameplan and executes, and who really wants it more.

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654

09.03.2012 | 12:59 PM ET

10-Point Breakdown

1. Mental Edge/Confidence/Gameplan - I honestly believe that both fighters are dead even in this category. Both fighters were championship contenders at 135, and went the distance with current UFC BW Champion Dominick Cruz. JB won his last fight against Yasuhiro Uru****ani, got knockout of the night honors, and he trains with a great camp over at Team Alpha Male, so you know that he will also have a good gameplan coming into this fight. As for MM, he trains with a great camp as well with AMC Pankration, he won a very tough fight against one of the greatest flyweights on the planet in Ian "Uncle Creepy" McCall, and he has not had an easy road anywhere in the WEC or UFC. Sporting wins over Miguel Torres, "Kid" Norifumi Yamamoto, and Damacio Page is an impressive resume at BW, and with his win against Ian McCall at flyweight, his road to getting a title shot definitely has not been an easy one. I have no doubt in my mind that both fighters will come into this fight both 100% mentally and physically prepared as they possibly can be. JB - 10/10, MM - 10/10

2. Experience/Level Of Opposition - Both fighters have 18 fights to their credit, and have a resume of fighting the who's who at 135 and 125. Johnson definitely had a tougher road getting this shot at the UFC Flyweight Championship, when you look at both fighters' resumes it pretty safe to say that both fighters have faced a great stable of fighters. JB - 9/10, MM - 9/10

3. Heart/Determination To Win - Both fighters have a tremendous heart and fighting spirit. The word "quit" and the phrase "give up" does not exist in either fighters' vocabulary. Neither fighter has been KO'd or submitted in their respective careers. Another category where I have to call this dead even. JB - 10/10, MM - 10/10

4. Stamina/Cardio - There is no doubt that either fighter will have any problems going a 5 round distance. JB - 10/10, MM - 10/10

5. Endurance/Toughness - Both fighters can take a punch and endure a lot of punishment. The question is here, is who can take the better shot, and who can absorb the most punishment and still be an effective fighter? I think I have to call this subject dead even again because I've seen both fighters do just that. JB - 10/10, MM - 10/10

6. Overall Striking - Demetrious Johnson is not really known for his striking power. He has sound kickboxing skills, great movement, good technique, and great speed, but Benavidez has knockout power, great boxing skills of his own, and good movement. If I had to pick who I think would win this fight by KO it would be Joseph Benavidez. With that in mind, the advantage goes to Benavidez. JB - 9/10, MM - 8/10

7. Overall Wrestling/Grappling - Both fighters have good wrestling and grappling skills. Both fighters victories over Miguel Torres are proof of this. At any given point and time, either fighter can take a fight to the ground to score points and achieve the upper hand. I think that both fighters are evenly matched in this area, but because of Benavidez's size and strength, I will give him the advantage here. JB - 9/10, MM - 8/10

8. Overall Submissions/BJJ - Both fighters have submission victories on their resumes. Benavidez with 8 to his credit and Johnson with 6, but JB has had the more impressive submission victories. Most of Johson's submission victories happened outside the UFC/WEC, while Benavidez has had 2 submission victories since coming to the UFC/WEC. I really don't think that either fighter is going win by submission in this fight, though this is what both fighters have won the majority of their fights by, but if I had to pick a winner by submission, it would be Benavidez. JB - 10/10, MM - 9/10

9. Strength/Size - Joseph Benavidez definitely has the size and strength advantage coming into this fight. JB - 10/10, MM - 8/10

10. Speed/Athleticism - There is no doubt in my mind that Demetrious Johnson is the fighter with the better speed and athleticism. In fact, Johnson has won fights on his heart and speed alone. JB - 8/10, MM - 10/10

Overall Score = Joseph "Beefcake" Benavidez - 95/100, Demetrious "MIghty Mouse" Johnson - 92/100 

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

ProdigyKid14
ProdigyKid14
  • Predictions:  8,848  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,902
  • Post Score: 195

09.03.2012 | 1:04 PM ET

Benavidez will win a decision, and Rogan will tell us all how fast Mighty Mouse is.

"I fight em all. Men, women, children, ******** people, it doesn't matter. If you hit me, we're gonna fight. -Charles Bennett"

HitmanDK
HitmanDK
  • Predictions:  889  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  146
  • Post Score: 132

09.03.2012 | 1:43 PM ET

I got Benavidez in this one. I was hoping for Benavidez vs McCall in the finals so I hope Joe absolutely stomps MM for ruining that for me.

"They are welcome to boo me but they have to pay for the privilege."

FamousSkins
FamousSkins
  • Predictions:  10,322  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  57
  • Post Score: 151

09.03.2012 | 1:45 PM ET

Prediction: correct Johnson   correct Decision  

This should be a very close fight. I'm leaning towards picking Benavidez in this one

"They say the only way to kill a lion, is with a rear naked choke, I'd rather just kick it in the head. - Bas Rutten"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul Postponed Following Boxing Legend’s Health Condition
  • MMA Junkie : From Las Vegas brawl to UFC 302: How Ailin Perez vs. Joselyne Edwards grew into a heated grudge match
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302: Islam Makhachev vs. Dustin Poirier live stream watch party
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Wilder Vs. Zhang Results, Streaming Updates
  • Middle Easy : Video: Kayla Harrison Slams Alex Pereira Hard To The Mat With Powerful Judo Throw
  • MMAFighting.com : Paulo Costa believes impressive UFC 302 performance can vault him to title shot
  • MMA Mania : ‘Mom Doesn’t Want Me To KO You’
  • MMA Mania : UFC 302 Start Time, Full Fight Details!
  • Middle Easy : ‘Proud Dad’ Conor McGregor Shares Video Of Son Conor Jr. Earning First BJJ Stripe In Ireland
  • MMA Junkie : Kevin Holland vs. Michal Oleksiejczuk prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC 302
  • MMAFighting.com : Matt Brown explains what Dustin Poirier needs to do to beat Islam Makhachev at UFC 302
  • MMA Junkie : Javier Mendez confident Dustin Poirier's guillotine won't work on Islam Makhachev at UFC 302
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 start time, fight card, TV schedule for Islam Makhachev vs. Dustin Poirier, Sean Strickland vs. Paulo Costa
  • MMA Mania : Zhang Vs. Wilder Start Time, Fight Card Details
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 302 predictions: Five blowout picks in Newark, but are upsets looming?
  • UFC.com : Main Card Results | UFC 302: Makhachev vs Poirier
  • UFC.com : Official Scorecards | UFC 302: Makhachev vs Poirier
  • UFC.com : Prelim Results | UFC 302: Makhachev vs Poirier
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 predictions
  • MMA Mania : Lightweight’s Greatest Brawler Takes A Final Swipe At UFC Gold